Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Problem description:This is a problem that has been going on for a long enough time that I am starting to get seriously annoyed about. I would say the problem started a few months ago when I tried to play Heroes of the Storm. Game would crash whenever I tried to play it. Eventully my computer would freeze when I tried to start the game. I later wanted to play Overwatch but my computer would freeze every time I tried to play it. I also decided to reinstall my Total War Shogun 2 game but like Overwatch the computer would freeze.
The most recent cases of problems have come in the form of Dark Souls III and Total War: Warhammer. Dark Souls 3 will always crash near the start while Warhammer will cause the more annoying problem of my computer freezing and forcing a Hard restart. My Computer use to be able to play Shogun 2 and Heroes fine. So I am very confused about this problem. Any help will be welcome

Attempted fixes: Looked up mutiple things online. But I just did not get the help I wanted. I know it's not a Driver problem as those are all up to date.

Recent changes: None that I know of. A game I used to play just did not work anymore

--

Operating system: Windows Home Premium 64 bit.

System specs: MSI, Number MS-16CG, Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4200 CPU @ 2.50GHz

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

If I made any mistakes or if you need anymore info tell me.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 05:46 on May 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

What kind of PSU do you have?

Run the portable zip edition of CDI to check HD health:
http://crystalmark.info/download/index-e.html

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Zogo posted:

What kind of PSU do you have?

Run the portable zip edition of CDI to check HD health:
http://crystalmark.info/download/index-e.html

It says Health Status good.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 23:18 on May 27, 2016

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'd use http://www.wagnardmobile.com/?q=display-driver-uninstaller-ddu- to uninstall video drivers fully and install the latest ones again.

If that doesn't help I'd run http://www.memtest.org/ overnight to see if any memory errors show up.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It's not my drivers from doing the above. Guess I will try and figure out how this Memtest thing works.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
No Memory issues it seems. This problem I might as well add is not for all games. Only the ones I named don't work. The problem is that some of them used to work.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

What video card are you running? I didn't get an idea of that from what you posted already.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

CaptainSarcastic posted:

What video card are you running? I didn't get an idea of that from what you posted already.

Oh did I forget to post that.

Nvidia Geforce 760m

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Try using compressed air to blow out all the vents - I didn't realize you were talking about a laptop.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Try using compressed air to blow out all the vents - I didn't realize you were talking about a laptop.

Will give it a try.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jun 1, 2016

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It did not work. I am sad.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Check CPU temperature using: http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

Check GPU temperature using: http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Oh here is the dark souls error from event viewer. As I downloaded it from steam some of this does not apply

quote:

Log Name: Application
Source: Application Error
Date: 27/05/2016 6:01:53 PM
Event ID: 1005
Task Category: (100)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: SuperLaptop
Description:
Windows cannot access the file for one of the following reasons: there is a problem with the network connection, the disk that the file is stored on, or the storage drivers installed on this computer; or the disk is missing. Windows closed the program DARK SOULS™ III because of this error.

Program: DARK SOULS™ III
File:

The error value is listed in the Additional Data section.
User Action
1. Open the file again. This situation might be a temporary problem that corrects itself when the program runs again.
2. If the file still cannot be accessed and
- It is on the network, your network administrator should verify that there is not a problem with the network and that the server can be contacted.
- It is on a removable disk, for example, a floppy disk or CD-ROM, verify that the disk is fully inserted into the computer.
3. Check and repair the file system by running CHKDSK. To run CHKDSK, click Start, click Run, type CMD, and then click OK. At the command prompt, type CHKDSK /F, and then press ENTER.
4. If the problem persists, restore the file from a backup copy.
5. Determine whether other files on the same disk can be opened. If not, the disk might be damaged. If it is a hard disk, contact your administrator or computer hardware vendor for further assistance.

Additional Data
Error value: 00000000
Disk type: 0
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Application Error" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49152">1005</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>100</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-05-28T00:01:53.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>8082867</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>SuperLaptop</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>DARK SOULS™ III</Data>
<Data>00000000</Data>
<Data>0</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Also

quote:

Unexpected failure. Error code: D@01010004

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 1, 2016

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Have you run CHKDSK yet?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Zogo posted:

Have you run CHKDSK yet?

Yep. It did not solve the problem.

I can at least reliably get to the Dark Souls III character creation screen before it crashes if I skip the cutscene. Then it the game crashes sadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

You could try using DDU again and installing Nvidia 350.xx drivers (someone in another thread had luck with this recently).

• Locked thread