Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Baronjutter posted:

I never quite understood some people's fears of dogs, especially pitbulls. Where I live basically every dog you encounter is owned by someone and pretty well behaved and generally quite friendly and excited to meet humans and other dogs. Any unfriendly dogs are responsibly kept at a distance by their owners who try to be as proactive as possible to warn people that their dog isn't "dog friendly" or what ever. Basically I grew up in a place where all dogs are chill and friendly and owners responsible. There are no wild/stray dogs either and having an unfixed animal is almost unheard of and will get you mountains of scorn that you're a trash pet owner.

But then I see videos and news stories of lovely garbage people in garbage neighbourhoods who will get a couple pit bulls or what ever lovely big dog they associate with being macho, and then they keep them on chains or just let roam, never fix them, never train them, and never take any sort of responsibility for them. They end up just being semi-wild dogs roaming around the neighbourhood menacing people, and a lot of their garbage owners actually encourage them to be aggressive because they want a macho guard dog or what ever. It's hosed up and everyone involved needs to be neutered or put down.

It's nice that you live in middle-class to upper-middle class white suburbia, not everyone lives there.

I say this as someone that grew up in a place exactly the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
If you lay down where one of my dogs can reach, she licks inside your nose and inside your ears and it's very difficult to get her to stop. Technically it's attacking because she's very aggressively cute about it.

Iirc some pit bull chased me down an alley once when I was like 6 but maybe I'm just making that memory up? Or it was a dream.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

I was terrorized by my own family dog when I was a kid. She was a mutt named Missy and she would frequently break her backyard chain and we would have to go looking for her sometimes. Other times however it was like she was a heat seeking missile and once she broke free she would track me down in the neighborhood bite my shoe and drag me in circles on the grass until my shoe came off and she'd start in on the sock next. Never ran off with either just lock in, strike, and then run off. I can remember many times when I would just be hanging out with my friends when Missy would just charge in out of nowhere and scatter everyone (treed a couple of em) but I was the only one she dragged around.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Thin Privilege posted:

If you lay down where one of my dogs can reach, she licks inside your nose and inside your ears and it's very difficult to get her to stop. Technically it's attacking because she's very aggressively cute about it.

Iirc some pit bull chased me down an alley once when I was like 6 but maybe I'm just making that memory up? Or it was a dream.

I briefly dated a chick who raised Pit Bulls.

Pit bulls are kind of weird, they really imprint on people. So if you are the alpha, then they are some of the chillest dogs ever.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

MF_James posted:

It's nice that you live in middle-class to upper-middle class white suburbia, not everyone lives there.

I grew up in the same kind of area and got attacked by dogs three times. lovely garbage dog owners aren't a class or race issue, where are you getting that from his post?

ookuwagata
Aug 26, 2007

I love you this much!
I was walking my dog one day, then this dick opens the door, and his german shepherd runs out of the house, down the stairs determined to murder my increasingly senile old dog. Instincts kick in, and I pick up my dog, and run across the street, and keep my dog away from the german shepherd. The shep bites me on my rear end before the owner manages to retain control of the animal. I went to the local emergency room, got a bandage on my rear end and turned down a prescription for antibiotics. I filed an aggressive dog report with the cops, never saw the dog again. That being said, I never saw the dog actually outside the house before that incident anyways. Meanwhile, my dog didn't really notice what was going on. I like to think I saved her life, but we ended up putting her down the next year, anyways.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
When I was ~seven I was at a sleep over at my friends house. Their ~60 pound mutt was hit by a car. For some reason they didn't take the dog to a vet so there was this injured dog in their house. It starts whimpering, and as a kid who grew up in a household with at least 2 dogs since I was born, I stupidly walked over to comfort the dog. I was petting it pretty good, and it stopped whimpering and wagged its tail a little bit. Then I put my face in close for a kiss.

It bit my face and nearly took out my eye. My left eyelid was slashed in the middle by the bite and was hanging on by an extremely thin amount of skin. A millimeter deeper and I would have lost my eye. Went to the emergency room and got it stitched up. Now when my eyes are relaxed, the left eyelid doesn't drop as far as the right eyelid. Funny thing, I didn't even feel the bite. I just went back to playing and my friends mom screamed when she saw me lol.

Still love dogs though, it was my dumb fault. Dogs are great and 99% of the time they love you unconditionally.

As soon as I move out my apartment and into a house I'm going to adopt a rescue dawg, can't wait.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

thrakkorzog posted:

I briefly dated a chick who raised Pit Bulls.

Pit bulls are kind of weird, they really imprint on people. So if you are the alpha, then they are some of the chillest dogs ever.

The Cesar Milan alpha male poo poo has been proven to be false. The girl you were dating that happened to raise (backyard breed?) pit bulls was an idiot, surprise surprise.

To contribute: I have been around all sorts of dogs and the only ones who were consistently snappy and bitey were Shih-Tzus. gently caress those little things, I'm glad they are a puntable size. Once I was working at my first job and a regular coworker would come in which his cranky, senile little mess of a Shih-Tzu. I let him sniff my hand and he immediately started growling and baring his teeth. I said "okay" and stepped back. His owner said "oh he's just playing" :downs: I go near him again and he growls louder. I back off for good. I don't know what disease infects the owners of some small dog breeds that makes them think their pets are not angry animals with teeth.

Another time while walking home with my friend from the bus stop in middle school, a huge black dog barks wildly. He then easily clears his fence and runs towards us. We scream and think we're going to die. Turns out he just wanted to lick us to death :3:

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster
This was not a very good post.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Aug 3, 2016

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I got attacked by a stray dog when I was six years old. Was playing outside with some friends when the dog started barking at us. I think some kids decided to daunt it and it suddenly attacked and went straight for me. Bit my right shoulder, broke the skin, but no blood. I went home crying like a little bitch afterwards.

It never had any long term effects and I absolutely love dogs and can't get enough of them. But I'm also a huge idiot and never learn my lessons in life, soooo ... maybe you should try that?

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007
I work at a Dog Daycare so this was going to happen some time. Within my first week, there was a fight inside the daycare between this small yellow Lab and a King Shepherd. I had to grab and drag the Shepherd by the collar into the holding cell and he was nipping at me the whole time. He ended up nipping me through my jeans and breaking my skin. It wasn't too bad though.

We also have two dachshunds that come to our daycare to board a lot and one of them is super gate aggressive. I was putting a dog down into the room and the dachshund was trying to bite the dog I was placing onto the ground and it ended up biting me.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Thesaurus posted:

What would be the best way to kill or incapacitate an attacki g dog, unarmed? Let's say that I or another person is being attacked by one or two pitbulls. Serious question.

The videos I've seen involve someone feebly swatting at the pitbull with a stick or something. I'm thinking you need to attack the eyes or throat and fight to kill. I assume people are worried about hurting the dog, but in a situation where a dog is attacking me or a family member, I'm not going to mess around (obviously not talking about a random nip, but some dog charging you).

I walk around with my toddler in a neighborhood with some poorly trained dogs behind bad fences, so I want to be ready.

Single dog, just lay hands on the fucker and go to work. Be prepared to maim it if you have to. Probably going to get bit but hey, it's a (basically) wild animal attacking you, it's expected. Multiple dogs, I don't loving know. Get your kid somewhere safe at all costs (top of a car, behind a fence, somewhere) and then worry about yourself. I don't think you're going to be able to prepare for something like that.

If it's biting someone else I feel like it's a dangerous game of getting them to break their bite/grip and actively fighting them off. My wife was part of a bad incident at our animal shelter when the dog lunged through a closing cage door to catch someone just above their elbow and held. Another coworker went to grab something to pry open its jaws and my wife straddled the dog's back while apparently blowing in it's ears/pulling on it's cheeks or something similar to gently caress with it. It broke its grip and after a couple terse moments she was able to pin it down with a forearm on its throat and a vice grip on his balls with her other hand (an old tip from a veterinarian at the shelter). She sustained a bite in the process but thankfully it was cosmetic and not nerve-wrecking like the dog's first victim.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know if it's even good advice, but I learned as a kid to never run from aggressive dogs. They can run much faster than you and running away might also trigger their predator instinct. Walk away slowly and pretend that you are not scared shitless.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

waitwhatno posted:

I don't know if it's even good advice, but I learned as a kid to never run from aggressive dogs. They can run much faster than you and running away might also trigger their predator instinct. Walk away slowly and pretend that you are not scared shitless.

Dogs just like to chase things, that's why dogs have been known to chase cars. They're never going to win the dog vs car fight, but they keep trying.

You're generally better off just facing them down and taking a stern stance. I will admit that kind of varies.

If you're facing a bunch of mistreated pit bulls, who have been trained as pit fighters, then you should slowly walk away and climb over the nearest fence a soon as possible..

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

thrakkorzog posted:

Dogs just like to chase things, that's why dogs have been known to chase cars. They're never going to win the dog vs car fight, but they keep trying.

You're generally better off just facing them down and taking a stern stance. I will admit that kind of varies.

If you're facing a bunch of mistreated pit bulls, who have been trained as pit fighters, then you should slowly walk away and climb over the nearest fence a soon as possible..

My friend's mom had some tiny lovely dog that could not get out of the house. The moment it ever escaped it would launch like some sort of car-seeking missile and chase the nearest moving car, viciously yapping and actually trying to bite/attack the car. It caught a car, while it was moving, attacked the spinning wheel and lost a leg. They spent a god drat fortune saving that dog. A couple days after coming back from the vet it got out again, chased a car, and died.

Dogs can be amazingly smart but some just don't seem fit to live. They are generally small and not trained.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

My friend's mom had some tiny lovely dog that could not get out of the house. The moment it ever escaped it would launch like some sort of car-seeking missile and chase the nearest moving car, viciously yapping and actually trying to bite/attack the car. It caught a car, while it was moving, attacked the spinning wheel and lost a leg. They spent a god drat fortune saving that dog. A couple days after coming back from the vet it got out again, chased a car, and died.

Dogs can be amazingly smart but some just don't seem fit to live. They are generally small and not trained.

My parents thought it would be great idea to get a terrier as a kid's first dog. Instead it ended up running outside tried take on a car.

And it ended up as a kid's first lesson on sucking chest wounds, and euthanasia.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jun 22, 2016

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Jesus Christ. gently caress dogs.. I say eat them

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost

Tony Montana posted:

that is a complicated statement.

a lady down the street from me got eaten by a pitbull a couple of weeks ago. why in the gently caress that breed is allowed to exist is a loving mytery to me.

Chair In A Basket fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 24, 2016

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Chair In A Basket posted:

that is a complicated statement.

a lady down the street from me got eaten by a pitbull a couple of weeks ago. why in the gently caress that breed is allowed to exist is a loving mytery to me.

yup it's definitely the breed that's the problem, NOTHING WRONG WITH THE IDIOTS THAT TRAIN THEM

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've never met a lovely pitbull because the sort of scum that trains (or just doesn't train) them to be lovely aggressive dangerous dogs are extremely rare here. In fact due to the stigma around owning a pitbull most owners seem to super train their dogs so they end up being sort of "breed ambassadors" and some of the nicest dogs you ever meet. Give any big dog breed to any lovely dog owner and they'll manage to turn it into something that will bite a kid's face off.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

I've never met a lovely pitbull because the sort of scum that trains (or just doesn't train) them to be lovely aggressive dangerous dogs are extremely rare here. In fact due to the stigma around owning a pitbull most owners seem to super train their dogs so they end up being sort of "breed ambassadors" and some of the nicest dogs you ever meet. Give any big dog breed to any lovely dog owner and they'll manage to turn it into something that will bite a kid's face off.

Yeah, there's a tendency for assholes to pick a big breed as some big hardcore dog, and then treat them like poo poo. German Shepherds got that bad rep back before pit bulls. They were outlawed before Pit Bulls. Since German Shepards were known for being vicious guard dogs. So here's a video of German Shepards vs. babies.

The local cops have a bunch of Labrador Retrievers for their K9 units, despite the fact that Labs are generally considered some of the friendliest dogs known to man.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jun 26, 2016

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

One time a dog came up to me and licked my hand and wagged its tail and awwwww :3 .

Enhydra lutris
Apr 27, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Tony Montana posted:

In fact it is a common place Cultural More to eat Dogs; Dogs feature predominantly in the Cuisine of the Far East; other Treyf Mammals consumed by these Societies include Whales; Cats; Horses; Rabbits; it is a Foul Practice.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
When I was 10 or so I was bitten by a rottweiler. It was my own drat fault, I reached through a fence to pet him and he bit me. It happened so fast, it didn't even hurt. I was so embarrassed about the incident I told my parents that I fell down. I still have scars on my hand :(

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

waitwhatno posted:

I hike in a lot of rural areas and encounter random dogs all the time. This really does seem to work the best.

MF_James posted:

yup it's definitely the breed that's the problem, NOTHING WRONG WITH THE IDIOTS THAT TRAIN THEM

I mean, dogs are bred for specific traits and behaviors, we have a bloodhound and no amount of training is going to kill the prey drive that has been bred into them for hundreds of generations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

When I was in Ukraine there were a lot of stray dogs all over. It was pretty sad really. For the most part they don't bother people, but in the winter they can form packs when they get really hungry and attack people. I had a dog actually smash into me while running from something, nearly bowled me over, we were both startled and it ran off.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

I was working tech support and had to go into someone's office to troubleshoot their desktop or something. I had permission to enter, but I knocked first. Unbeknownst to me, the client kept two dogs in their office all day every day. One dog heard me knock and evidently decided to ambush the next thing to come through the door. I turned the knob and started to enter the room, but before I could get the door open more than a few inches the trap was sprung.

That's how my hand was bitten by a dog in an office building. I was pretty pissed and filed an incident report even though the damage was minimal, just a little finger bleeding. How about you leave your bitey dogs at home and not in a closed office all day?

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Asimov posted:

I was working tech support and had to go into someone's office to troubleshoot their desktop or something. I had permission to enter, but I knocked first. Unbeknownst to me, the client kept two dogs in their office all day every day. One dog heard me knock and evidently decided to ambush the next thing to come through the door. I turned the knob and started to enter the room, but before I could get the door open more than a few inches the trap was sprung.

That's how my hand was bitten by a dog in an office building. I was pretty pissed and filed an incident report even though the damage was minimal, just a little finger bleeding. How about you leave your bitey dogs at home and not in a closed office all day?

Most people that own bitey dogs think that their dogs are perfect and never do anything wrong. It's usually little yappy dogs that do it and their owners don't control them. These are owners that just leave newspapers on the floor when they're away for the day even though the dog is 3 years old. The dogs never listen, don't come when they're called, and are spoiled.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Alternately my cat shits in the designated making GBS threads spot. Not because it's trained, not because it's trying to please me, because cats aren't filthy creatures that enjoy stomping around in their own poo poo.

It shits there because it's loving disgusting to poo poo anywhere else. The cat thinks this, not me.

As a kitten it understood this, while you can have a dog for life and they never get it.

I guess if you live on a farm and need to herd your sheep or whatever the gently caress, for the rest of us that live in modernity a stinky, aggressive, loud, revolting hairy pig running around the house isn't something we aspire to.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Tony Montana posted:

Alternately my cat shits in the designated making GBS threads spot. Not because it's trained, not because it's trying to please me, because cats aren't filthy creatures that enjoy stomping around in their own poo poo.

It shits there because it's loving disgusting to poo poo anywhere else. The cat thinks this, not me.

As a kitten it understood this, while you can have a dog for life and they never get it.

I guess if you live on a farm and need to herd your sheep or whatever the gently caress, for the rest of us that live in modernity a stinky, aggressive, loud, revolting hairy pig running around the house isn't something we aspire to.

:chloe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Tony Montana posted:

OTOH my dog has had exactly one accident in the house in the 2.5 years I've had her (and even that was only a side effect of the anesthesia she was under the previous day), while my dumbass Himalayan cat is completely oblivious to the dingleberries she collects and subsequently deposits in convenient locations such as the kitchen floor, the carpeted stairs, under our bed, etc.

So yeah. Cats can be pretty loving disgusting too.

edit for content: My husband got bit in the face by our sweet and very socially well-adjusted dog because he was dumb enough to get in her face while she was sleeping and startled the poo poo out of her. Any dog will bite under the right circumstances and that's not something to be taken for granted.

pastor of muppets fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Aug 13, 2016

• Locked thread