Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brubaker
May 28, 2016

by Shine
So , I just watched the James Bond movie Moonraker. The antagonist in the film , Hugo Drax comes across as some kind of science-fiction Hitler. He wanted to create a "perfect race" in space and "gas" the rest of mankind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGo748GqS9g

quote:

Hugo Drax speach.

"First there was the dream, now there is reality. Here in the untainted cradle of the heavens will be created a new super race, a race of perfect physical specimens. You have been selected as its progenitors. Like gods, your offspring will return to Earth and shape it in their image. You have all served in public capacities in my terrestrial empire. Your seed, like yourselves, will pay deference to the ultimate dynasty which I alone have created. From their first day on Earth they will be able to look up and know that there is law and order in the heavens."

Did the producers have Hitler in mind when they created the Hugo Drax character ?

Has anyone read the original novel by Fleming and was Hugo Drax a Nazi in the novel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
nah he was more like proto-Elon Musk, or at least so say a bunch of nerds on the internet...i do kinda agree tho

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Congratulations on watching the best James Bond movie.

As to your question, maybe.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Brubaker posted:

Has anyone read the original novel by Fleming and was Hugo Drax a Nazi in the novel?

I actually did it's not a novel it's more of a bunch of short stories.

Moonraker is basically about him making an ICBM. It's a much saner storyline than the movie.

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

i was just happy that jaws finally found love at the end, even if it is the weird eugenic kind of love

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

In the book he was just a straight up Nazi.

E: Also Three Phase is wrong, Moonraker is a novel, not a short story collection.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

To elaborate in the book they find him injured after a battle in WW2, and he's in a coma, and can't speak for a long time, and has amnesia. England finds him, and thinks that he's one of their guys, but in reality the amnesia is an act and he was a Nazi the whole time. His entire plan is to become a super successful business dude with military contracts, build a missile system for them, then use the missiles they paid for to blow up London. Because he's a Nazi.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Oh snap you're right. It was part of a compilation but it wasn't one of his short stories.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
so did Jaws and that skinny German girl with the pigtails end up having space sex at the end (or am i thinking of a diff movie)??

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Mariana Horchata posted:

so did Jaws and that skinny German girl with the pigtails end up having space sex at the end (or am i thinking of a diff movie)??

no, they land the piece of wreckage and then have crash landing sex

Premeditated Toast
Apr 24, 2008

Same as it ever was.
Nah, he's just a Giant Peter Dinklage.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

James Bond. You appear with the tedious inevitability of an unloved season.

Ayeka
May 28, 2016

It's a good thing the space station had a radar jammer or else people with telescopes would be able to see it

Premeditated Toast
Apr 24, 2008

Same as it ever was.
This scene feels so out of place compared to the rest of the movie. Like it belongs in a french horror film or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PasdxEYHhMo

Ayeka
May 28, 2016

Thunderbird_Wine
Aug 6, 2007

Sums up the movie rather nicely but you need the ridiculous pew pew sounds in the movie for the full effect.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

In Like Flint was the superior version of this story, IMO.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Cacator posted:

James Bond. You appear with the tedious inevitability of an unloved season.

Lol drax rules

there's also that awesome scene where he trolls the poo poo out of 007 in venice by replacing the chemlab with his fancy office

Ayeka
May 28, 2016

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'd say he's attempting re-entry

Ayeka
May 28, 2016

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Moonraker is actually one of the worst Bond movies

They just rushed out a space movie to ride on the coattails of star wars success

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Ein cooler Typ posted:

They just rushed out a space movie to ride on the coattails of star wars success

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Ein cooler Typ posted:

It sucks for the reasons you wouldn't expect, mainly that it's boring as hell

That whole venice chunk starting with the coffin knife assassin is loving amazing though

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Premeditated Toast posted:

This scene feels so out of place compared to the rest of the movie. Like it belongs in a french horror film or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PasdxEYHhMo

Wait why didnt she drive away in the golf cart?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Mange Mite posted:

Wait why didnt she drive away in the golf cart?

What, and add theft of company property to her list of offenses?!

BluPotato
Jul 18, 2006

Hugo Drax did nothing wrong.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

We need the clip of bond snowboarding with a beach boys cover band playing. That was an impressive low.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Drax is the best supervillain out of all the Bond movies. I also love the soundtrack to Moonraker, and the fact that watching it makes me feel like I'm nine again.

best friend massage
Sep 12, 2010
Why is no one talking about the Venice chase scene https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-vM-4f9Vjk

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

pretty soft girl posted:

It sucks for the reasons you wouldn't expect, mainly that it's boring as hell

That whole venice chunk starting with the coffin knife assassin is loving amazing though

Everytime I watch Last Crusade I keep expecting this scene to happen, but not remembering why it doesn't, and it's because it's a different movie, thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

best friend massage posted:

Why is no one talking about the Venice chase scene https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-vM-4f9Vjk

• Locked thread