Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
From the OP:

heytallman posted:

This romhack really changes two small things about three game, so if you were concerned that this would be a poorly done blind playthrough, the real blind aspect goes out the window within the few minutes of gameplay. These two things are that enemies and objects randomly load in to the game, and every object has random velocity. It sounds like a dumb gimmick, and I really wasn't sure how fun it would actually be, but within only a few minutes I knew I wanted to play through the entire thing!

This description is inadequate to explain many of the things we have seen so far, such as the sprites that are Frankenstein's monster-type mashups of other sprites, or the times when the whole world goes wrong and stays wrong.

This romhack is basically a cosmic horror story at this point, is what I'm saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

If Yoshi's Island met Lovecraft, it would be Yoshi's Highland.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
5-7 has to be the best example of this hack being a complete rear end in a top hat so far. It screws Gea over so badly that he can barely make it past the beginning of the stage no matter how hard he tries, then lets you get all the way to the end on your first try, only to pull the rug out from under you immediately before the goal. Magical.

If 5-4 ends up being actually impossible, can you just load a savestate from the unhacked ROM into Yoshi's Highland to show off the boss?

heytallman
Aug 30, 2013

Is not actually tall.

FeyerbrandX posted:

That is horrifying.

I don't know what's worse: the fact that this mod lets poo poo like this happen, or the fact that I'm so desensitized to it all that I look at that and think of it as mundane, that I've easily seen better.

Rollersnake posted:

If 5-4 ends up being actually impossible, can you just load a savestate from the unhacked ROM into Yoshi's Highland to show off the boss?

I'm not 100% sure, but I think it might, if only because I'm using a save file from a regular Yoshi's Island rom.

But I intend to do this poo poo right, dammit :getin:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It's a shame about all the slowdown. Can you break the emulator's sprite limit, or does that invite a whole bunch of other nasty issues?

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
It's never not funny when Tap Tap shows up.

Sillyman
Jul 21, 2008

Cathode Raymond posted:

This description is inadequate to explain many of the things we have seen so far, such as the sprites that are Frankenstein's monster-type mashups of other sprites, or the times when the whole world goes wrong and stays wrong.

Sometimes objects want sprites that aren't part of the current zone's spritesheet (and other sprites are where the sprites they wanted would have been). Sometimes objects have incredibly dramatic effects as a result of simply existing (especially in a place they shouldn't be).

Both of these lead to things going terribly, terribly wrong.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Sillyman posted:

Sometimes objects want sprites that aren't part of the current zone's spritesheet (and other sprites are where the sprites they wanted would have been). Sometimes objects have incredibly dramatic effects as a result of simply existing (especially in a place they shouldn't be).

Both of these lead to things going terribly, terribly wrong.

Thunder God Lakitu, in particular, only appears on BLIZZARD!!!, so his sprite data gets overwritten by other level-specific assets in the RAM for pretty much every other stage even if his enemy behavior/AI is still in the scripts.

heytallman
Aug 30, 2013

Is not actually tall.
:siren::siren:MINI UPDATE ALERT!!!:siren::siren:

Episode 5-C: Sluggy the Unshaven

The boss we couldn't reach to save our lives during the update proper! Is Sluggy as bad as I was anticipating?

no

But seriously, gently caress 5-4 and the horse it rode in on. Now on to world 6...

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Mutant Poochie out of nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I would not have figured Poochy for some level-based custom spritework, but I guess he's big enough for that.

Also the respawning egg plant totally saved you there.

• Locked thread