Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Brovstin posted:

I can sort of get why, fighting a representation of dead slaves would probably make a lot of people (understandably) more than a little uncomfortable, so that's probably why the Festers manifestation is a little more specific. Also I'd argue the next enemy in the game is based more on the executioner rather than the executed as well.

I'd disagree on that point. For the most part, the monsters in the Suffering represent both the tormentor and tormentee. The Slayers are decapitated monsters whose heads are held in place with pins, going around with chopping blades for arms. The Mainliners are poison-backed sufferers that attempt to inject anyone they come across. The Hangmen are skinned, hung corpses that try to choke the life from you, and are connected to the story of the lynching of COs. The Marksmen are blindfolded, and emerge from the ground on firing poles with an artillery battery on their back. The Burrowers are buried-alive monsters that try to drag Torque down with them. The upcoming enemy reflects the duality in a very overt manner.

Accordion Man posted:

The Festers aren't alone in this, because Clem speculates that the last enemy type in the game, the Inferna, were damned to always be on fire for purposely condemning innocent people during the witch hunts.

I just checked to make sure I wasn't missing anything, and all Clem does in his journal is speculate on the Inferna's connection, not as any sort of punishment. I said it was mostly theorizing and speculating from Clem except where the Festers are concerned, where that's done away with for an explicit statement of case. I think Brovstin's got the right of it there, though, it would be the sort of thing to make plenty of people uncomfortable, I always guessed so, it's just always jarred me thematically that we go from a series of monsters reflecting and personifying human misery and the dark history of Carnate to a case of otherwordly retribution.

The sudden discarding of ambiguity for a single monster punches at but doesn't really destroy or damage what I like about the story and setting of the Suffering, but going further into that would potentially be spoilers.

Edit: For clarity's sake, I really don't feel the Festers fit the themes of the game as well as any of the other monsters. Each does a good job of representing its method of executions or punishment, but it feels a bit like they didn't know how to reflect the Festers. If they represent drowning, how do you have them be a regular enemy outside of putting water everywhere, and how do you make them functionally different from the Burrowers? If they represent human bondages, how do you really represent that as an enemy you can fight? Added to that, one of the major elements is how Carnate drags everyone down. How do the slaves and their circumstances fit that at all, having arrived and promptly drowned? They were effectively innocent. In this element, making it clear the slavers are the ones represented is important, but having to outright tell the audience robs it of its weight.

Just doesn't seem to match with the rest of the game.

Ironslave fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jul 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azren
Feb 14, 2011

I really like this. I thought it was such a neat idea.

Also, that guy's name was Clem? As in Samuel Clemens? I don't think I ever picked that up before, no wonder he's so awesome!

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

I need to use the bathroom!
Part 8: Who Wants to Deny Forever; Death Be Not Proud & Single Bullet Theory / Evil/Neutral Differences

No Commentary Version

Supplemental: Hermes Fight

Memos Found:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

If you look at the radioshack before you enter it, it's riddled with bullet-holes. That Marksman you found outside it must have shot him through the walls.

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

Apologies for being so late with this. As you can see this was a very large update to put together and was sadly a task that did not agree with my usual 60 hour work week. Nevertheless this brings The Suffering to a close. There are a few things here and there that I have not showed off but including them in this update would have delayed things even further, hopefully I'll be able to put a bonus video together to show off the last remaining details and make this truly the most comprehensive LP of this game on the internet. Enjoy

Part 9: And A Child Shall Lead Them & Last Breath Before Dying / Evil/Neutral Differences

Evil Ending

Neutral Ending

No Commentary Version

Supplemental Videos

Clem's Journal

Consuela's Scrapbook

Flamethrower Demo

Cut Intro Level(Chapter 0)

Memos Found:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

At least that Slayer at around 7:30 was polite enough to wait until your call finished before he res'd.

Edit: Jesus, this game has never been much for non-stereotypes, but Ernesto is REALLY taking the piss here.

Edit edit: Thanks for the corrected Spanish, by the way. Really points out how the script-writers hosed it up.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jul 30, 2016

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.
There but for installing Spanish dictionaries into Word went Ernesto's script.

They could've just kept him talking in English, like in the intro. But no, the apocalypse comes along and "¡Ay Dios mío! ¡Vamonos, Torque! ¡Putas, pendejos! ¡EN EL NOMBRE DE MI FAMILIA!" 24/7.

I just... I guess it's one of the relatively more positive roles given to a hispanic stereotype, at least? But it would've been nice if they made sure to secure a voice actor whose interpretation of the Spanish J was the hard H sound it's meant to be? I don't know.

This last episode truly was my Suffering.
Congrats on finishing the Let's Play, Chitlin.

Wait, who was Rence Truman? Did we ever meet them?

ElTipejoLoco fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jul 30, 2016

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

You meet Rance near the end of the second game, actually.

He's a former inmate, and really, that's all that the game says about it.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Samovar posted:

At least that Slayer at around 7:30 was polite enough to wait until your call finished before he res'd.

Edit: Jesus, this game has never been much for non-stereotypes, but Ernesto is REALLY taking the piss here.

Edit edit: Thanks for the corrected Spanish, by the way. Really points out how the script-writers hosed it up.

I have seriously no idea why they hammed it up so bad after an alright start, and I'm glad you guys called Surreal out on that. It was stupid beyond measure.

Do like how absolutely batshit the final Creature's design is. Thing even had a drat halo above its head.

Can we expect The Suffering 2 from you guys?

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

Dinictus posted:

Can we expect The Suffering 2 from you guys?

I am committed to doing Ties That Bind, but that probably wont be for a little while. Showing off all the little changes was time consuming enough with the first game, and the sequel ramps up the reactivity about threefold. I'd like to do it, especially as I think the sequel is unfairly maligned but I'm also going to have to come up with a way to show off everything that wont slow the LP down to one update a month.

I'll see about getting Ties That Bind up and running at some point in the future but I'm really looking forward to doing more of a low effort palette cleanser in the meantime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Well, that was a thing that I just saw. What the gently caress?

Voted five and now I want more.

• Locked thread