Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mid_Ben
Apr 10, 2008
'Sup Chumps, I haven't participated in an ICSA in quite some time (3 years-ish?) and took the opportunity to destroy the apartment kitchen that I'm moving out of in a month. I took a page out of Smash Mouth's diary and decided to include Eggs in all of my non-beverage dishes.

As I'm from :911:, My dishes are as follows:

Appetizer: Shakshouka (Africa)

Intermezzo: Yerba Mate Cooler (S. America)

Main: Lamb Burger with beetroot ('Straya)

Palette Cleanser: Sweet Lassi (Asia)

Dessert: Chocolate Mousse with Raspberries (Europe)

So we must start with the most time-consuming dish, the Mousse. Mise:

The magic of french cooking is its simplicity. 4 ingredients are all we need: Eggs, Chocolate, Sugar, and Heavy Cream
You'll want to brutalize the chocolate before adding it to your double boiler, it makes the melting process go faster.

While your chocolate is melting, it's time to make whipped cream, and meringue with your egg whites.

Protip: don't be a dummy like me and let your cat near the heavy cream, she'll eat all of it. Next, take your sugar and egg yolks, and beat to ribbon stage.

Temper your egg yolk/sugar mixture with the now-melted chocolate. Once you've introduced all of the chocolate (and you haven't made chocolate scrambled eggs) add a little bit of the whipped cream so your mixture doesn't seize completely.

From this point, you alternate between the egg white and the whipped cream, slowly folding both ingredients into the mixture until you get a light, fluffy mousse. Pour into whatever storage containers your little heart desires, and let chill overnight.

Now that it's the next day, its time to cook with more eggs, and make Shakshouka. Shakshouka is a popular dish all around the Mediterranean, and is enjoyed in African countries such as Tunisia and Morocco. Quite Simply, it's eggs poached in a tomato and chili sauce. I like to add onion, garlic, and green pepper to mine.

First, chop up the aromatics

Get them going in the pan after they've sweat for a bit, add the peppers, and finally the tomato after that. A key step here is to forget to take pictures before blitzing the whole thing with the immersion blender.

Now, make ~4 pits in the sauce, and add your eggs to poach and be merry. WHILE you're poaching, it's time to make some Mate

Mate is a Tisane (Beverage not actually made from tea leaves, but enjoyed as such) that is incredibly popular in Argentina. To get in the mood, I broke out my Bombilla and set myself up for a Mate drinking session. Then I realized Mate tastes like grass clippings and remembered why I haven't had it in so long.

Next, after realizing you should have bought large bags for loose tea, MacGyver one out of a coffee filter and some roasting string.

Once you have a nice strong tea, add Honey, and some chopped mint leaves to make the flavor a bit more... palatable to the uninitiated.

Let this chill in a pitcher for a bit, before adding any alcohol (I added some vodka!). From this point, it is now time to :burger:. I'm sad I missed national :burger: day, but I guess that's OK.

So apparently, putting beets on burgers is a HUGE thing in Australia. Go figure. I picked up a red and a gold beet for this dish. I washed them, wrapped them in tinfoil, and roasted them for ~45 minutes in a 400 °F (205 °C) oven. Next, make patties out of delicious delicious Lamb. This lets me increase the Australia coverage by including a staple of New Zeland eats.

Cook up the patties in your trusty cast iron pan, and keep an eye on your Shakshuka

Get yourself some Brioche buns, while you're at it.

Toast up those suckers good, and set them aside for Burgin'. At this point, your beets are done roasting, and you can slice them up for the Burgening.

The gold beets are really pretty! I'll be buying them more.

Start assembly:

Realize you haven't included EGGS and fry some over-easy eggs to go on the burger. Add, and make a mess when eating. Realize that Australia has the right idea with this beetroot business, and agree to put them on your burgs more often.

Next, we come to the Lassi. Unfortunately, this all happened while I was juggling the burgs, the shakshuka, and the beets. I have no pictures. It's incredibly simple though, as it's plain yogurt, water, sugar, cardamom, and some saffron/safflower. Mix all of that together with the immersion blender until you have a foam. Drink gluttonously.

For dessert, take the mousse out of the fridge, and add some delicous fresh raspberries. It helps break up the overwhelming unctuousness of the mousse. Eat like a pig.

Anyway, That's my egg-stravaganza. To reiterate:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Looks tasty! I've never made a mousse. I should remedy that. I've also never had beet on a burg. I don't know that I want to remedy that.

• Locked thread