Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

I almost took this bait

Thanks for not seizing my means of procurement.

It's hard being a fisherman in these trying times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

ThaumPenguin posted:

Thanks for not seizing my means of procurement.

It's hard being a fisherman in these trying times.

As a worker your means should rightfully be your own

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Reveilled posted:

Communism looked a lot more attractive to me once I found myself working a job where my average weekly revenue generation for the company was larger than my annual wage.

Yeah, this is pretty widespread and bad

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

I remember once drawing a distinction between feminists and feminazis in class freshman year college. Also had bad opinions concerning affirmative action and the death penalty. To top it off I used to argue that white privileged wasn't a thing because I was white and my family was quite poor. I'm still poor but at least I recognized how stupid I was. Probably for the best that I didn't go through with that engineering degree.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Kit Walker posted:

I remember once drawing a distinction between feminists and feminazis in class freshman year college. Also had bad opinions concerning affirmative action and the death penalty. To top it off I used to argue that white privileged wasn't a thing because I was white and my family was quite poor. I'm still poor but at least I recognized how stupid I was. Probably for the best that I didn't go through with that engineering degree.

Lol many engineers think like that most their lives, and that's usually the better ones

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Bast Relief posted:

I used to think similarly when I was a kid, but now I think making birth control free if not at least cheap would do so many good things aside from preventing kids being born in a crappy situation. IUDs are great, long term, and don't require remembering to take one. After having one I felt like everyone should have this option, but drat they are expensive and not covered.

yeah we should totally cover IUD installation and maintenance free of charge for anyone who asks

vcvcvc12
Jun 9, 2013
Once upon a time I was one of those "equal opportunity, not equal outcome" sorts, except I thought that equal education spending and no explicit discrimination was all it took to have equal opportunity. If I'd talked politics with anyone ever, I'd have been completely insufferable. I'd like to think I grew out of it.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
When I was a teenager, I read books by Rush Limbaugh, and realized that Trickle-Down Economics just make sense.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

When I was a teenager, I read books by Rush Limbaugh, and realized that Trickle-Down Economics just make sense.

So, if you can still access that part of your brain, out of curiosity, what just made sense about it? What makes Mr. Limbaugh persuasive?

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Octatonic posted:

So, if you can still access that part of your brain, out of curiosity, what just made sense about it? What makes Mr. Limbaugh persuasive?

it's those curves

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I was in high school just as all those 2004-ish "ban the gays" state-level amendments were being floated, and some of my classmates who I respected were openly gay, so I reasoned that if the government was being used to oppress people, then the government's powers should be reduced, and therefore Libertarianism was a good ideology to follow.

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER
I posted in LF.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Octatonic posted:

Eh, I can understand why someone might believe it. I mean, it *is* true that (some) money you give to the rich trickles down to the non-rich; it's just that it's dumb as hell to do that when you can just give the money directly to the non-rich.

There's also the idea that giving business owners money will cause them to hire more people, which sounds sorta intuitive if you don't think too hard about it (and realize that hiring is primarily driven by demand).

So I can understand why someone might agree with supply-side economics if they were young and had just never been introduced to the better alternative of "give stimulus to the non-rich instead."

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Ytlaya posted:

Eh, I can understand why someone might believe it. I mean, it *is* true that (some) money you give to the rich trickles down to the non-rich;

Not really. The rich already have tons of money they don't use for anything. Giving them more has absolutely no positive impact. This is doubly true when the giving is done by taking the money out of things that are already doing something useful, I.E. cutting taxes.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

doverhog posted:

Not really. The rich already have tons of money they don't use for anything. Giving them more has absolutely no positive impact. This is doubly true when the giving is done by taking the money out of things that are already doing something useful, I.E. cutting taxes.

I think you missed the "(some)" in my post. It is, in fact, true that a non-zero amount of money you give to the rich ends up "trickling down" to the non-rich; it's just extremely inefficient.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I'm not gonna argue that statistically it's not above zero, but it might as well be.

Ormi
Feb 7, 2005

B-E-H-A-V-E
Arrest us!

Ofaloaf posted:

I was in high school just as all those 2004-ish "ban the gays" state-level amendments were being floated, and some of my classmates who I respected were openly gay, so I reasoned that if the government was being used to oppress people, then the government's powers should be reduced, and therefore Libertarianism was a good ideology to follow.

You were right, you just latched onto the wrong libertarianism. :anarchists:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

Octatonic posted:

I had a child's grasp of economics, and was willing to accept whatever information was presented to me in a reasonably persuasive manner. I don't remember Limbaugh being a terrible author (assuming he wrote his own books), so the books were good enough to convince me.

Also, I hadn't given up on earn some approval from my parents, so my beliefs tended to skew toward agreeing with them.

• Locked thread