Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
EDIT: A few days late, but the problem has been solved. It was a combination of the ethernet cable I was using and the ports on both the modem and motherboard not working. Replacing the cable, modem, and getting a new ethernet card solved the problem. Thanks for the help!

Apologies for any formatting issues, as I am phone posting.

Problem description: A thunderstorm went through the area a few days ago while I was at work. When I got home, I found that the power had gone out at some point and my internet no longer working. My setup was a cable modem connected to a router, which provided wifi and had an Ethernet cable to my computer. After some testing, I determined that the router was dead (none of the LEDs lit up, it wasn't getting warm after staying plugged in) but the modem and my computer seemed fine. The modem had lights on and my computer booted up just fine and had no issues other than the obvious lack of Internet. After calling my ISP, time Warner cable, to confirm an outage in my area, I gave up for the night.

By the next morning, service had resumed. Just in case, I pushed the reset button on the modem and was able to connect to the modem's built in wifi with my phone, but my computer didn' even recognize that I had an Ethernet cable plugged in. I tried using different cables and different ports on the modem, but neither fixed my problem. The cable that was connected to the now dead router was connected to my motherboard's (ASRock B85M Pro4) Ethernet port, so I thought that maybe the port and nothing else was damaged, so I went and got an Ethernet card. After installation, my computer still gives the error "Network cable unplugged". The only other thing I could think is wrong is that the Ethernet ports on the modem are damaged, but I still get wifi from it, and when I call my ISP they say the modem looks fine on their end and are not particularly helpful.

Attempted fixes: Calling the ISP to see if there's anything wrong with my connection, using different Ethernet cables, using an Ethernet card instead of the motherboard's port, dusting out my computer and disconnecting and reconnecting PSU cables, a factory reset on the cable modem. One test I have not done is using another computer or a laptop to test the Ethernet from the modem; the only thing I have that uses Ethernet is my desktop PC. I also haven't tried pushing my ISP into getting me a new modem yet.

Recent changes: No changes.

--

Operating system: Windows 8.1 64 bit.

System specs: Self built computer. It's about 3 years old at this point. Motherboard is ASRock B85M Pro4. CPU is an Intel i5-4570, GPU is an nvidia gtx760. The Ethernet card I bought to attempt to fix the problem is a TP-Link TG-3468. My now dead router is a linksys E1200, and my cable modem is an Arris DG1670A. My ISP is Time Warner Cable.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: I have.

Spoggerific fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jun 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
A few quick questions:

On the back of your computer, when you plug in the Ethernet cable, does the ACT/LINK LED light up solid or flashing, or does it remain unlit?

You said you tried a different network card, but just in case, check to make sure something didn't get screwy in BIOS and that the Onboard LAN is Enabled:

Also, if you open up the Device Manager (either from the control panel or run devmgmt.msc) and expand the "Network Adapters" section, do you see the Ethernet connection listed?

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
The indicator for the motherboard is consistently dark, regardless of whether or not a cable is plugged in. There are three lights for the new network card I have, and the one labeled 100 lights up briefly when I power the computer on.

Onboard LAN is enabled in the BIOS.

In the device manager, I see Intel Ethernet Connection l217-V, Related PCIe GBE Family Controller, and two virtual lan applications I have installed (hamachi and evolve). I've previously tried disabling the two virtual LAN connections to see if they were part of the problem.

telcoM
Mar 21, 2009
Fallen Rib

Spoggerific posted:

Problem description: A thunderstorm went through the area a few days ago while I was at work. When I got home, I found that the power had gone out at some point and my internet no longer working. My setup was a cable modem connected to a router, which provided wifi and had an Ethernet cable to my computer. After some testing, I determined that the router was dead (none of the LEDs lit up, it wasn't getting warm after staying plugged in) but the modem and my computer seemed fine. The modem had lights on and my computer booted up just fine and had no issues other than the obvious lack of Internet.
[...]
I pushed the reset button on the modem and was able to connect to the modem's built in wifi with my phone, but my computer didn' even recognize that I had an Ethernet cable plugged in. I tried using different cables and different ports on the modem, but neither fixed my problem. The cable that was connected to the now dead router was connected to my motherboard's (ASRock B85M Pro4) Ethernet port, so I thought that maybe the port and nothing else was damaged, so I went and got an Ethernet card. After installation, my computer still gives the error "Network cable unplugged". T

You could connect an Ethernet cable from the modem directly to your computer and see if the link LEDs light up. You might even be able to get an Internet connection that way.

Or you could connect a regular network cable between the motherboard's Ethernet port and the new network card. Obviously you won't get any useful IP address that way, but the link LEDs should light up if even one of the ports is Auto-MDIX capable (which most gigabit-capable NICs are). If the link LEDs light up, your motherboard's Ethernet port might be fine.

It certainly looks like your router was the weakest spot between the transient voltage spike and the neutral wires of your house (which are connected to the house ground). As a result, the voltage spike probably discharged itself mostly through some chip in the router, killing the chip and thus the entire router.

If the modem can still provide a wifi-based Internet connection, its cable-side interface obviously works.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
I should have made it clearer that all of my attempts so far have been directly to the modem after I realized the router was dead. I was using the modem directly before I got the router, so I know that it should work in theory. I'll try hooking up the motherboard port to the network card port and see what happens with the indicators when I get home from work. I'll also try pestering my ISP into either getting me a new modem or sending out a tech.

Thanks for the help so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Do you have any other ethernet-capable devices you could try plugging into the modem? It seems extreme but it's possible that all the outgoing ports on the modem were blown but the wireless portion remained intact.

If a Blu-ray player or smart TV can successfully connect then at least you have verified the modem works.

As an aside, I assume you installed the drivers for the ethernet card you installed prior to testing.

• Locked thread