Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Tony, your daughters going to fall in love with a creepy older TA with weak wrists who's always talking about digging up treasure. Think he's gonna call you Tony Homo or just straight up Dad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

dk2m posted:

ive never met more rude people in my life than in boston. but im from the rural midwest which is like a loving fairytale in comparison so ymmv

i guess you haven't spent much time in NYC?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

JakeP posted:

i guess you haven't spent much time in NYC?

Someone said boston was worse than nyc? Xan anyone confirm/ deny?

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot

Snatch Duster posted:

is your daughter hot?

:colbert:

Revenants Return
Mar 28, 2016

by Shine
pretty much nothing said in this thread has been true since like the mid 90s OP.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

dk2m posted:

ive never met more rude people in my life than in boston. but im from the rural midwest which is like a loving fairytale in comparison so ymmv

I haven't been to NYC (well not outside the airport) but I feel like West coast cities are way nicer than Boston is. People say 'oh but it's fake' well maybe but I'd rather have a fake smile from a clerk than a grimace of existential anguish that makes me wonder why I came to Boston.

I was there during the winter though so ymmv.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Revenants Return posted:

pretty much nothing said in this thread has been true since like the mid 90s OP.

so post your opinion, i don't agree with a lot of whats been posted here but its interesting to see what other people have to say

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
well imo ppl from the south and midwest are usually refreshingly nice and very polite as well as helpful however im p sure once those same ppl open their mouths beyond the purpose of doing u service of some kind that they are all about Jesus and nothing else but, just jesus jesus jesus and college football

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Luvcow posted:

so post your opinion, i don't agree with a lot of whats been posted here but its interesting to see what other people have to say

This post is insane:

Grody posted:

Tell her never to go to south boston, dorchester, roxbury, or jamaica plain unless she wants one of the following: to be raped or to buy drugs

40% of southie is rapidly gentrifying yuppietown with good restaurants, fun bars, really nice condo/apartment buildings and lots of charm. 40% is the most in demand real estate in the entire city right now (the seaport) and is home to pharmacy and tech companies and is going to be home to general electrics new world headquarters after they leave CT. The other 20 is old timey Irish southie but it's rapidly disappearing and mostly those folks are just grumpy about it

Dorchester has some issues but it's going to be Jamaica Plain 2 and a great investment at the moment. Home to tons of great world food particularly Vietnamese and Caribbean.

Roxbury's similar in many ways depending on what part but it's not the gangland murder and rape fest grody would have you believe

JP is hipster central with tons of great food and bars and has all sorts of fun stuff and incredible houses. I was just at a wedding in JP on Saturday and it was wonderful. Walked back to my place in Brookline afterwards, had no issues

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I bet Orlando is more dangerous than Boston.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Riptor posted:

This post is insane:

40% of southie is rapidly gentrifying yuppietown with good restaurants, fun bars, really nice condo/apartment buildings and lots of charm. 40% is the most in demand real estate in the entire city right now (the seaport) and is home to pharmacy and tech companies and is going to be home to general electrics new world headquarters after they leave CT. The other 20 is old timey Irish southie but it's rapidly disappearing and mostly those folks are just grumpy about it

Dorchester has some issues but it's going to be Jamaica Plain 2 and a great investment at the moment. Home to tons of great world food particularly Vietnamese and Caribbean.

Roxbury's similar in many ways depending on what part but it's not the gangland murder and rape fest grody would have you believe

JP is hipster central with tons of great food and bars and has all sorts of fun stuff and incredible houses. I was just at a wedding in JP on Saturday and it was wonderful. Walked back to my place in Brookline afterwards, had no issues

i agree, I'm a white male and I've worked for years in roxbury and jamaica plain and I've never had any issues and actually ended up meeting a lot of really cool and nice people who are still friends today.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Roylicious posted:

I haven't been to NYC (well not outside the airport) but I feel like West coast cities are way nicer than Boston is. People say 'oh but it's fake' well maybe but I'd rather have a fake smile from a clerk than a grimace of existential anguish that makes me wonder why I came to Boston.

I was there during the winter though so ymmv.

Yeah you are right

Philly, Washington DC, Baltimore and NYC are all meaner cities than Boston for sure though.

Time Machine
Feb 24, 2006
When this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit.
Get your daughter an off-campus apartment in Mattapan. It's inexpensive, and a great place to meet lots of new people!

As for traveling to NYC, tell her to take the Fung Wah bus. Round trip is only $30!

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan

JakeP posted:

Yeah you are right

Philly, Washington DC, Baltimore and NYC are all meaner cities than Boston for sure though.

DC is only a mean city if you're driving, although the metro will probably be getting pretty unruly as the maintenance and delays continue. Outside of the car, people are pretty decent to each other.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

If she's going to Northeastern say goodbye to $300k

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

I would imagine you're only 5 months away from your daughter getting double teamed by TKE frat boys. They'll probably be bitching about how Tom Brady did nothing wrong re: deflategate while they go to town on your little princess too.

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.
i live in boston and go out of my way to be rude to tourists and give them bad directions

youre welcome

Infidel Castro posted:

I would imagine you're only 5 months away from your daughter getting double teamed by TKE frat boys. They'll probably be bitching about how Tom Brady did nothing wrong re: deflategate while they go to town on your little princess too.

yeah this too lol

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Mange Mite posted:

Someone said boston was worse than nyc? Xan anyone confirm/ deny?

Never had issues in any part of Boston but I'm there frequently,l so maybe I don't notice often. I mainly travel on foot or by public transit in the city too, so it's really not that bad.

Also, in spite of what I've seen in past threads, you can find some great food in the city. Also, the area near northeastern specifically has a lot of stuff to do and some pretty good places to grab surprisingly cheap eats. Bars in the area are expensive as poo poo though so that could be a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Riptor posted:

The other 20 is old timey Irish southie but it's rapidly disappearing and mostly those folks are just grumpy about it
good, glad they're flushing the poo poo down the toilet

• Locked thread