Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Okay. So.

I got some very bad news today and it means the LP might be going on hiatus for a while. I might have to be making some emergency transatlantic travel. I don't know for sure yet but I'll keep you all informed.

No update today. I'm not in a fit state to record right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Good luck Fargle. Hope everything works out.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
Do what you gotta do, man. We're pulling for you.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

I got a call tonight. The situation has become significantly less urgent.

I'll still be going to Canada at some point but it'll probably be a few months down the line. Maybe for the holiday season. The hiatus will happen then.

Once my emotions settle down a bit and I'm stable again I'll get started on the next game.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Hope things turn out okay. :ohdear:

Axe Master
Jun 1, 2008

Shred ya later!
Hope all is well!

Enjoying the LP, and it occurs to me that my nemesis, Brazil, has been saved for last...It took me a solid 5-6 attempts (including like 3 full games) to win as Brazil on Emperor. I've noticed as a player that their starting bias makes keeping ahead of the AI sufficient to win a cultural victory (which is hard enough normally) becomes even more difficult when every tile improvement takes >12 turns and there are no hills/mountains to be found. What use is a size 25 city if it only has 18 production :(

I finally got an amazing start with a good mix of resources, not surrounded by jungle, and a significant amount of good production tiles...right next to everyone's buddies Oda and Harald. Culture didn't happen, but dominating them and Poland and becoming sufficiently ahead to easily win a space victory at least got the W!

Fargle, are you planning to go for culture or are you going to mix it up? Carnival is a really neat ability but I found it too difficult to control. I guess saving a few artists for the international games/endgame would maybe be a good idea?

Rats Tossbag
Jan 16, 2014

Oh man, Fargle, hope everything turns out well. We're all supporting you.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Hey everyone. I'm sorry.

I know I'm supposed to be keeping to a schedule and all but I'm not coping well at all with what's happening in my life right now. I feel like I'm barely even keeping it together and recording and trying to play well on camera and talk about it and so forth it's just more than I can cope with atm.

I can't promise when I'll be able to get the Brazil game up and going right now but as soon as I can do it I will. Civ 6 also launches in a week on Oct 21'st so I'll try to do a stream for that if I can. I know at least a few of you have been really looking forward to that.

Sorry for being such a loving mess.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Your well being is way more important than regular updates. Take your time to feel better. We'll still be here when you're ready.

Less than a week left already? Yikes. I can't promise I'll watch the stream instead of, you know, play the game myself :v:. But maybe if I set up my second computer to watch the stream...

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Fargle, The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Let's Play! isn't your boss. You could be straight up mean to us if you want! We would still owe you for the free entertainment. If life is getting you down, don't borrow problems from here (or anywhere, if my advice counts in real life). Do what you need to do and good luck.

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

This might just be fun after all.
Yeah, no pressure, Fargle. You take care of yourself first, don't worry about us. Deal with what you need to. We'll be here when you come back.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
Please take care of yourself Fargle. And don't beat yourself up.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

LPs have had much longer delays for no good reason. You've got a good reason. Just pick it back up when you feel like it. :shobon:

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Going to announce it now that I'll be streaming Civ 6 on launch day! Won't be the exact moment it unlocks sadly due to a prior engagement but it'll be about 3pm UK time.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Stream goes live in about an hour and a half! If folks turn up chat gets to pick my choice of Civ and Victory Condition!

https://hitbox.tv/fargle

Thanks for coming everyone! Sadly it seems whatever issues Hitbox was having have mangled the recording so the video isn't going to be made available like I planned.

I'm going to be doing this again soon though, probably tomorrow and in light of the video issues and the fact that that game seemed to be stalling out pretty bad I'll be starting a new run. Hope to see you then!

Captain Fargle fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 21, 2016

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Aww. So how is it based on first impressions?

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Veloxyll posted:

Aww. So how is it based on first impressions?

A few balance and interface issues but incredibly solid fundamentals. It's about one major patch away from me having no complaints besides the Civ lineup. (STILL BULLSHIT THAT BRAZIL AND NORWAY ARE THERE BUT NOT INCA AND PERSIA)

I'll be streaming again tonight btw. Not sure exactly what time at but it's going to happen. Might also get the first episodes of the next video series up too depending on how things work out.

EDIT: Also don't use the new "Online" speed. Things don't scale properly and it ends up completely broken. Scythia is literally unstoppable there.

Captain Fargle fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Oct 22, 2016

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Don't worry, they put Greece in twice to make up for it.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Right. Stream will start in about an hour and a half. 9PM UK time. Might be single player, might be multiplayer I don't know yet. Maybe I'll do a vote for whoever's about to decide.

https://hitbox.tv/fargle

Okay. So. There's some weird crap going on with Civ 6 that's causing Steam to use up absolutely colossal amounts of my CPU power. More than the game even does. It makes streaming or recording impossible because it constantly cuts out when usage spikes to 100%. Things are on hold until I can figure out WHAT IN THE GODDAMN gently caress IS HAPPENING.

If anyone has any idea or can help fix this please tell me.

Edit: This has got me really upset and bummed out now. I've been looking forward to doing Civ 6 stuff for ages now and then this happens and GODDAMNIT.

Captain Fargle fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Oct 22, 2016

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014
Do things change when you choose to play off-line? From your description, Steam seems to be the culprit. This is pure conjecture, though, because I haven't got 6 yet myself.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

LP is cancelled everyone.

I had a few episodes recorded and I've been preparing things to start back up again.

Today's news has killed that.

Trump is an unapologetic fascist demagogue with an itchy trigger finger. I'm so goddamn terrified of him starting World War 3 and dragging the rest of the world down with him that playing something like Civ 6 where those things can be tossed around for fun turns my stomach at the moment.

Congratulations on voting for Hitler America.

You bastards.

I'm done.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Take all the time you need.

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

This might just be fun after all.
No worries Cap, a lot of us are right there with you. Take as much time as you need.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

I've managed to actually get some sleep and calmed down a little.

I haven't been in a very good place mental health wise recently, there's been a lot of things happening in my life lately that have been stressing me the hell out and I've been coping with them pretty poorly. Trump getting elected yesterday pushed me over the edge and I broke down. Finally collapsed from exhaustion and I've managed to get a little sleep.

I'm still too drained and shaky to actually do anything right now but I'm sorry for blowing up at the thread like that.

Once I've recovered a bit I'll get back to things.

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Fargle, rest assured that not much will actually get done and 90% of what does will gently caress only Americans. Get well soon.

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
Not to worry about timeline. If I can wait 2 1/2 months before updating with the last chapter of my Portugal run (which I decided to finally finish today), then I'll look forward to your next playthrough whenever you are ready to offer it!

Reinbach
Jan 28, 2009
As much as I enjoy your excellent videos, I value your wellbeing more. Thank you for the work you put into them, I hope it helps to know that it is appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

I understand all to well where you're at right now. :( Do whatever you need to do for you. If continuing this feels good at some point, cool. If not, gently caress it.

I'm sorry this country is full of fuckheads, and that it keeps affecting the rest of the world.

• Locked thread