Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat
I'm riding to St. John's this year to complete half of a goal I have; riding coast to coast in Canada. I've got a rough itinerary for the trip set up for early summer this year. I'm looking for some input on roads I should ride, things that I should take time to see, and good places to stay. I'm not traveling with camping gear this year. The bike is my CB500X, set up with full luggage, and a windscreen to tone down the buffeting that I received on my trip to Brandon, MB a couple of years back.

Here's my idea for a route.

Toronto, ON - Quebec City, QC along 401 (802 km). I have the ability to ride through Eastern Ontario a couple of times a year, so I want to blast past that and get to something new.

Quebec City, QC to St. Andrews, NB (668 km).

St. Andrews, NB to somewhere near the Cabot Trail, Cape Breton, NS. (Probably near Baddeck, NS 671 km).

Cape Breton, NS to Sydney, NS via Cabot Trail (375 km). Light day, sightseeing and prep to catch the ferry to Channel-Port aux Basques, NL. overnight.

Channel-Port aux Basques, NL to Gambo, NL (617 km).

Gambo, NL to St. John's, NL (300km).

Rest day in St. John's, NL

St. John's, NL to Corner Brook, NL (689 km).

Corner Brook NL to somewhere between Halifax, NS and Sydney, NS (625km to Halifax). Daytime Ferry via Channel-Port aux Basques, stop point depending on what the day is like and when the ferry arrives ( between 5pm and 8pm)

?? NS to Bangor, ME (685km, max 900km) or Fredericton, NB-ish (647 km). I keep hearing that Maine and Vermont have great roads to ride, I'll enjoy them if I can. If things are going poorly, I'll divert to Fredericton and keep in Canada.

Previous day to Montreal, QC (624 km via VT, max 800 km if from Fredericton). Stretch target to see a city that I've only visited once. Stop somewhere between Quebec City and Montreal if I'm staying in Canada.

Montreal, QC to Toronto, ON (538km). Home for a rest.

Here's the setup:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Main thing to watch out on the TO to Quebec City run is not to get stuck in Montreal during rush hour, as I found out two years ago on my way to a wedding :). It's not the most exciting ride but you can boogie along nicely and as you say get the boring parts out of the way.

A good friend of mine moved to St. John's a couple of years ago and had been trying to convince me to ride out ever since.

• Locked thread