Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Dave_Indeed posted:

You shouldn't use extension cords unless you really have to.

Real men rewire their house the way it would have been if the last owner wasn't such a god drat retard.

I remember Grover freaking out the electrical inspector with the sheer number of outlets he installed.

I think the standard is a duplex every 12 feet along the wall and he easily had double that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Also just lol if you don't make your own extension cables for things like generators

I made one for $20, the ones instore were something like $120 for the same thing only in blue

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Professor Shark posted:

Also just lol if you don't make your own extension cables for things like generators

I made one for $20, the ones instore were something like $120 for the same thing only in blue

Did you make a male-male backfeed/suicide cord?

But seriously you're not supposed to use Romex as an extension cord. It's made of solid copper wires (like a coat hanger) that shouldn't be bent or flexed. Flexible cable has wires made out of a ton of little small wires so they can safely be bent and flexed.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Which of the exposed wires is that?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Professor Shark posted:

Which of the exposed wires is that?

It's a cord with a plug on one end and a plug on the other end. :getin:

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

hahahahaha how are extension cords even real hahaha nigga just walk over to the socket like nigga move your legs haha

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

thathonkey posted:

have you ever had the need for an extension cable? like the heavy duty orange kind maybe? sometimes the plug that comes on appliances and whatnot is just too drat short forcing me out to the store to buy an extension cable. but it works. they work. i don't know how but they do it ... some kind of really advanced chemistry / magic going on inside those things i guess.

so based on that i think they're good and it's something you just take for granted that it exists:

but they didn't always exist. stop and think about it. this is a thread for posting interesting things about extension cords, your favorite kind/length/gauge/thickness, and just generally expressing your appreciation for extension cords.

(PS: feel free to include the kind that expands the # of outlets and even provides surge protection which is a whole other dimension of greatness in extension cords)

Good to tie people up with OP

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
theres is a very special final purpose you can use an extension cord for. i want you all to go home tonight and figure out what that is.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Cross post:

:golfclap:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Three-Phase posted:

It's a cord with a plug on one end and a plug on the other end. :getin:

no i didn't

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

JiveHonky posted:

theres is a very special final purpose you can use an extension cord for. i want you all to go home tonight and figure out what that is.

does it involve a stool

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

I'm a little backed up right now

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Three-Phase posted:

But seriously you're not supposed to use Romex as an extension cord. It's made of solid copper wires (like a coat hanger) that shouldn't be bent or flexed. Flexible cable has wires made out of a ton of little small wires so they can safely be bent and flexed.

Noted, thanks GBS Electricity Man!

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

MiracleWhale posted:

does it involve a stool

winks at u, points to nose, gives thumbs up, makes throat slicing gesture, mimes putting gun in mouth and pulling trigger, holds up picture of coffin with "you" and and arrow pointing to the coffin

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
there was a video in the OSHA thread where someone had run this electrical cable for a long rear end way and the youtube was set to some dramatic music anyone have that it was pretty loving fuunny

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I buy like way too many extension cables, adapters, couplers, all that poo poo. I have a whole box of poo poo to plug up different audio/video signals to each other. And a bunch of poo poo for rechargeable batteries and stuff. Gear shopping is cool.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

is there anything that is like an extension cable, but for a penis? asking for a friend

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

satanic splash-back posted:

is there anything that is like an extension cable, but for a penis? asking for a friend

:nws:, yes. http://i.imgur.com/Alf80Hj.png

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

thanks pal, the future is an amazing place, i will be sure to share this with my friend

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Have extension batteries been invented yet

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Have extension batteries been invented yet

Kind of. There are spacers you can buy that let you use AA batteries as C or D batteries.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I recently moved and noticed my giant closet blocked 2 electrical outlets. Put an extension cord with like 3 outputs in there and now I have one extra outlet. :getin:

But here's the thing: I don't need them at all. I just cleverly used the extension cord because I can :smuggo:

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Waroduce posted:

Good to tie people up with OP

Use a second cord to beat them!

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Light Gun Man posted:

Kind of. There are spacers you can buy that let you use AA batteries as C or D batteries.

Just roll up some cardboard or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanky Bean
Dec 30, 2004

Just be like baller grips on tv/film sets and make your own. Easy peasy :madmax:

https://www.platt.com/platt-electric-supply/SJ-Type-SJOOW-Type/Multiple/123SJOOWX250/product.aspx?zpid=53879

https://www.platt.com/platt-electric-supply/Straight-Blade-Plugs-15-Amp-Plugs/Leviton/5266-C/product.aspx?zpid=160715

• Locked thread