Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Splashback
Jan 1, 2007

BY APPOINTMENT TO HER MAJESTY
QUEEN ELIZABETH II
SPLASHBACK HOLDINGS LTD
PUCKINS AND PRINTERS PURVEYORS
Because I strive for what's best for humanity and I want to share it (extinction) on a massive scale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

for those considering the hue these do the same poo poo and are cheaper + no hub, work fine for me

https://www.amazon.com/MagicLight®-WiFi-LED-Light-Bulb/dp/B00SIDVZSW

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I had LED lights before they were cool.

I got a 1W Luxeon Star and mounted it to a heat sink and took it into the elec lab at college. The professors were pretty amazed that an LED could make so much light.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Also it's really not "LED light" it's "Solid State Lighting". As in a package with LEDs, the power supply, and the physical package holding it all together. But if you're not s snob LED light is just fine.

Calling it LED light is like calling an old lightbulb "filament light".

All our high-bay areas at work are getting the crappy HID or sodium lights pulled out and replaced with LEDs, many of them on motion detectors for even more energy savings.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jun 12, 2016

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

If you bust open those sodium bulbs those big chunky filaments will sharpen a knife to irresponsible levels

Just make sure they're in a bag or something before you bust one open because they're pretty explodey

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I like that hawaii has those super orange street lights cause of the light pollution.

My old hometown replaced all their street lights with those loving awful WHITE light pieces of poo poo.

I'm sure it's a cultural left-over from candle/fire light, but yellow light (or rather, low K lights) are just superior in every way to a night-time aesthetic. High K (6500k) blue/white lights are an abomination at night time, for a ton of reasons.

It is funny to consider that before we were able to burn fires and whale oil and all that loving bullshit, the only thing that could illuminate the night for millions of years was the full moon (or flash lightning forest fires)

in the famous words of Peezle Ward: "vERY CoMPELLING"

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Did this recently to one light fixture that had burned out CFLs in it. Realized how dim all of my CFLs had gotten over their years of tireless service, replaced them all with LED.

Then I ripped the ballast out of the regular fluorescent lights and plugged LEDs into those too.

I have been pretty happy with it all so far.

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I didn't know Philips Hue lets you change the colors using an app. That's awesome. I could see cool stuff like making them green at Christmas or something like that. drat it, why did I learn this after replacing 30 lights in my home :negative:

There's an SDK in just about any language you like to use as well. Its super easy to program them yourself.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
the RGB tape strips are super cheap and versatile and easy to hack up you should get some

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I have some CFLs still next time i replace light bulbs i will make the switch to LED prolly

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I bought a poo poo ton when they went on sale for $5 for a 2 pack, the only places I don't have them are closets and thr damned weird rear end bathroom vanity bulbs.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

I like that hawaii has those super orange street lights cause of the light pollution.

My old hometown replaced all their street lights with those loving awful WHITE light pieces of poo poo.

I'm sure it's a cultural left-over from candle/fire light, but yellow light (or rather, low K lights) are just superior in every way to a night-time aesthetic. High K (6500k) blue/white lights are an abomination at night time, for a ton of reasons.

It is funny to consider that before we were able to burn fires and whale oil and all that loving bullshit, the only thing that could illuminate the night for millions of years was the full moon (or flash lightning forest fires)

in the famous words of Peezle Ward: "vERY CoMPELLING"

It's not just cultural, blue light is known to cause more eyestrain and, more importantly, the eye uses blue light to adjust its circadian rhythms so blue light can mess up your day/ night sleep/ wake cycles and make you feel bad.

More generally, shift work and other circadisn disruptors are linked to worse health overall, including obesity and even cancer. There's some interesting early research from israel that correlates amount of nighttime lighting in a neighborhood and the incidence of various cancers.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
I've got a blend of lights at home. The wall and ceiling fixtures have CFL, mostly. As those need replacing, I am switching to LED. However, I have a few dimmable fixtures, and I have not found a decent replacement for the standard incandescent bulb. Lamps are mostly CFL, but a few are specialty bulbs, so they have whatever they take.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
About street lights - I was at a seminar and they mentioned that regular street lamps cast a cone of bright light, but the light fades out at the sides. So along a street you have these islands of light with plenty of dark spaces in between.

With LED retrofits you can get very even light without dark hiding spots. So it's more aesthetically pleasing, consumes less power, doesn't need to be replaced as often, and is more secure.

As far as home lights I've gone with Crees. The newest ones are exactly the same shape as old incandescent bulbs without the massive heavy heat sink.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

Three-Phase posted:

About street lights - I was at a seminar and they mentioned that regular street lamps cast a cone of bright light, but the light fades out at the sides. So along a street you have these islands of light with plenty of dark spaces in between.

With LED retrofits you can get very even light without dark hiding spots. So it's more aesthetically pleasing, consumes less power, doesn't need to be replaced as often, and is more secure.

The area around my house has lots of street lights, including the one right on the corner of my lot. Every single light in the area has been replaced with LEDs, except for the one on my lot. It still has that yellowish streetlight. (Not sodium vapor, but just a little off the true white light of all the LED lights around here.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
I can't shove an led light up my rear end then have to invent an unlikely story for the nurse at ER

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Berious posted:

I can't shove an led light up my rear end then have to invent an unlikely story for the nurse at ER

You may want to check if the casing is plastic or glass first.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Three-Phase posted:

You may want to check if the casing is plastic or glass first.

if it ain't glass it ain't in my rear end

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
In that case the Cree A19-A 120V bulb is not for you.

I do like the way they look in my math room over the mirror.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Three-Phase posted:

In that case the Cree A19-A 120V bulb is not for you.

I do like the way they look in my math room over the mirror.

You have an entire room for math? Lucky.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Germstore posted:

You have an entire room for math? Lucky.

lol if you don't have a proper arithmatorium in your domecile, good sir

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Autocorrect strikes again! :cripes:

Sometimes you just need a quiet place where you can sit down with a cup of coffee and do some cross-products and use L'Hopitals rule and whatnot.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jun 13, 2016

Demon Lord
Jun 8, 2003
ex nihil, ex omni, ad infinitum

Three-Phase posted:

Autocorrect strikes again! :cripes:
I'd like to know more about your meth room and/or your moth room.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
You know there probably are lepidopterists on this forum who have one or both of those.

And yes I know I was able to spell "lepidopterists" on my phone without a problem but somehow mangled "bathroom".

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Three-Phase posted:

You know there probably are lepidopterists on this forum who have one or both of those.

And yes I know I was able to spell "lepidopterists" on my phone without a problem but somehow mangled "bathroom".

Are you Buffalo Bill?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

King of Bees posted:

Are you Buffalo Bill?

Oh no, sir. I must say you're wrong.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I have pretty much all CFLs still, but I have been concerned about the spectrum lately as I read more about it. When I got them I was like, light is light. If the LEDs are at a point now where they're that much better, I should take a new look at them.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

I have pretty much all CFLs still, but I have been concerned about the spectrum lately as I read more about it. When I got them I was like, light is light. If the LEDs are at a point now where they're that much better, I should take a new look at them.

if it aint broke dont fix it, you won't save much money replacing CFLs, maybe a micropenny over the next eon or two

dont do it to save money do it if it will look cooler with being able to change colors and stuff

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I use those Phillips Hue LED bulbs that have wifi and I can control with my phone/tablet/pc. They're pretty cool.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

My entire place is LED bulbs except for two 3 level dimming touch lamps requiring dimmable bulbs, which are hard to find in anything 25 watt equivalent and below (I like soft accent lighting for said lamps instead of lighting up the place).

Those two lamps have 15 watt incandescent, which are the tits because they go 5-10-15 watts, and I leave them on at 5 watts all night for midnight water and bathroom breaks.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
These are the leds I ended up using all over my house.

I bought about 30 of them for around $350 and another $150 for the Lutron Caseta to control them from my phone and Echo. Good thing I didn't go with the Philips Hues. I just checked what they cost and I would have been in the poor house buying 30 of those drat things.

Anyway, are the ones I bought the "proper" color? Are they a decent brand? The brand is also known as Feit I believe.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I got burnt during the CFL craze when they were supposed to be super awesome and were super expensive compared to incandescent bulbs. Changed all the bulbs (20+) with CFLs that promised to be just as bright and last like 10 years. Evidently, they only last up to 10 years if you leave them in the box for 9.5 years. This was in a newly built house, not one with wonky wiring, etc. and they all started dying off around 6 months. I had a couple that made it to a year. For what I spent on those, I probably could have bought me enough incandescent bulbs to last me a lifetime.

I've used LEDs in cars, motorcycles, electronics projects, etc. but I'll probably give home lighting a bit longer before trying them out.

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

I bought a bunch of these things:
http://www.ledinside.com/knowledge/2015/2/the_next_generation_of_led_filament_bulbs

"LED Filament Bulbs"
They poo poo out light that looks just like what old incandescent bulbs produce, and look like incandescent bulbs, but they're actually LED lights :psyduck:

Vitalis Jackson
May 14, 2009

Sun and water are healthy for you -- but not for your hair!
Fun Shoe
I like the concept of LED's and have many in my house, but the nonstandard LED bulbs are still outlandishly highly priced. I'm talking about the smaller candelabra bulbs, the one that are spherical for bathroom mirrors and such, floodlight bulbs, etc.

Also, I bought some LED bulbs for low power (12 volt) landscape path lights about 3 or 4 years ago. I think I purchased them through eBay or Amazon, and they weren't all that expensive--maybe a buck or two each, and I bought a dozen or two. They worked fairly well except the color and brightness aren't to my taste (blue-white and dim). The thing that gets me is that new ones obscenely high priced even now in home improvement stores like Lowes or Menards, if you can find them at all. A single LED bulb for low-power path lights runs nearly $10.

It's a dilemma.

Love,
Vitalis

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I am going to a baseball game on Tuesday and every person in attendance gets a free LED lightbulb! This could be life changing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
The problem I have with those "filament" style lights is the output is just a little too orange. I have two and they definitely have a neat old-school look.

• Locked thread