Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dorkimoe
Feb 16, 2007
Problem description: Soon as I launch a game I get buzzing in my speakers, relatively loud. Being on the desktop, listening to music surfing the web I have no buzzing. soon as i launch a game it starts, if i alt tab down to the desktop it becomes less noticeable but still there. Once i close the game its gone.

Attempted fixes: I just installed a new GPU, i attempted reinstalling that, checking all loose cables, replugging in speakers

Recent changes: installed new GPU, but it did it before this just not as loud.

--

Operating system: win10

System specs: gtx1080, i5, 16gb ram

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes. Google surprisingly resulted nothing useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
What motherboard or soundcard are you using? Where are your speakers connected? Do you have the latest audio drivers installed?

dorkimoe
Feb 16, 2007
The mobo is gigabyte z97x. The speakers are connected in the back to onboard audio. Everything is the latest driver.

I may have fixed it..this is the most insane thing ever..I am assuming I don't understand electricity. Everything was plugged into a battery backup except maybe a few things (including my speakers) I just plugged my speakers into a power strip so now its "grounded" and its fine.... I guess I should read a book about grounding?

Sorry for the thread! Thank you though!

dorkimoe fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jun 9, 2016

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Yeah that sounds like a ground loop and occurs when you have connected devices plugged into different electrical circuits where "ground" is actually a slightly different voltage. It causes a voltage to flow between the grounds and causes that hum.

I dunno why you'd notice it more when your videocard was running but there you go!

• Locked thread