Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.
we don't see electromagnetic radiation signs of other civilizations because there is one super advanced civilization out there that exterminates all other intelligent species once it detects them. and we are next because two species competing for the same evolutionary niche can't live peacefully together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
reminder we don't have a loving clue what dark matter is which equals the mass of 25% of everything and dark energy which is 70% the remaining 5% is regular matter that we do know about - then quantum mechanics which is literally magic.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

i think the rocks with legs from apollo 18 are real and they're gonna come get us

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

Nation posted:

It's highly ignorant to think we know anything at all when we have only explored one rock.

We could be as far removed from another being as we are from a mosquito, they could be completely incomprehensible to us.

The Great Sagan and Hawking both theorized about what sort of life would evolve in the atmosphere of gas giants, probably big inflated jellyfish looking things. It's mostly just informed SciFi speculation, but if some of our most prominent scientists can imagine life elsewhere in the universe, why can't a lowly goon?

Nevermind the genetic diversity currently on display on this one compact rock among many.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

Toadvine posted:

The Great Sagan and Hawking both theorized about what sort of life would evolve in the atmosphere of gas giants, probably big inflated jellyfish looking things. It's mostly just informed SciFi speculation, but if some of our most prominent scientists can imagine life elsewhere in the universe, why can't a lowly goon?

Nevermind the genetic diversity currently on display on this one compact rock among many.

what if there is a lifeform that poos new copies of itself

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009
We should kickstart a project to archive all of SA on some form a media aliens could decipher and have it shot out into space.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Toadvine posted:

It would be dumb to say that, good thing I didn't say that.

I'm talking about the people that feel the speed limit of the universe can be broken.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

Nation posted:

what if there is a lifeform that poos new copies of itself

Thats called childbirth LMBO

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

Leon Einstein posted:

I'm talking about the people that feel the speed limit of the universe can be broken.

What about subverted? Distorting spacetime is firmly science fiction for the foreseeable future but we also only just this year observed/confirmed that space does in fact wobble

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

Leon Einstein posted:

but how do quantum entangled particles ignore everything we ever knew

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Nation posted:

They don't transmit info faster than light.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Nation posted:

hyperdimensional colocality

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

Leon Einstein posted:

They don't transmit info faster than light.

No they ignore it completely

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

Nation posted:

No they ignore it completely

I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and lovely posts it takes.

e: heed the warning

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

Digital Fingers posted:

I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and lovely posts it takes.

e: heed the warning
I guess you're butthurt about being told the alien satellite was a blanket lol

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

Leon Einstein posted:

I guess you're butthurt about being told the alien satellite was a blanket lol

I said i thought it was man made to start with? I thought it was a piece of rocket booster though

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

I just think that maybe the dude who named himself after Einstein might be a pedantic little twit that nation shouldn't get into an argument with is all.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

Digital Fingers posted:

I just think that maybe the dude who named himself after Einstein might be a pedantic little twit that nation shouldn't get into an argument with is all.
Did you forget that you tried correcting me by saying nobody thought it was a blanket? How did I argue with you?

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

Leon Einstein posted:

Did you forget that you tried correcting me by saying nobody thought it was a blanket? How did I argue with you?

e: okay, gently caress it, sorry, you seem like you're probably an okay dude

Digital Fingers fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jun 10, 2016

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

lol im not averse to discourse my good chums

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Toadvine posted:

what do you do for a living? I'm guessing you're both equally qualified in the propulsion and quantum fields of study

I'm a quantum field operator down at the propulsion factory. Well I would be if all these Aliens would quit stealing our jobs

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

Zombie Boat posted:

I'm a quantum field operator down at the propulsion factory. Well I would be if all these Aliens would quit stealing our jobs

Wanna come on my radio show and talk about aliens stealing your jobs?

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The Protagonist posted:

hyperdimensional colocality

or perhaps more accurately hypodimensional colocality :science:

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Toadvine posted:

Wanna come on my radio show and talk about aliens stealing your jobs?

Yes I do. The only way to stop it is to bring light on the subject. We need to make Earth great again.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

when I said to lloyd hey lloyd I asked online about the dark Knight and they said it's the black Knight and I said guess what they say it is and he said I bet a blanket and I was like whoa no way but he doesn't think it's a blanket he thinks it's tech of some kind

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
I lust to travel to other planets and kill all alien life.

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

G-Mach posted:

I lust to travel to other planets and kill all alien life.

my dream for humanity's future is that we travel the universe jumping on the skulls of pathetic rear end aliens

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

enslave the stars imho

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

one possibility for the fermi paradox is we're simply the first ascended species to occur, in which case yes let us wage a billion year conquest across the reachable universe

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

next time any of you guys see a UFO flip it off and say "we're coming for you motherfuckers"

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

Digital Fingers posted:

next time any of you guys see a UFO flip it off and say "we're coming for you motherfuckers"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPvmIxu-LSA

• Locked thread