Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
Problem description: My computer will start loading things really slowly (like, 2-3 minutes to bring up task manager), until I shut down. Then, it will either tell me it can't read the boot disk, ctrl-alt-del to restart, or it will get to the Windows icon and sit there loading forever (it doesn't freeze, the icon is still moving, it just sits). I will restart it again until it runs chkdsk, at which point it returns some errors, fixes them, and then runs fine for awhile, until it starts loading things slowly again, repeat. The last time Chkdsk didn't fix it. I had a sort of similar problem to this almost a year ago, made a thread about it (that I tried to find and couldn't, probably because I don't have archives), and it ended up being an unpaired RAM stick causing the problem. This isn't locking up in exactly the same way as it was then (I'm not getting the endlessly spinning loading mouse cursor), but may be similar. Additionally, I got a temperature warning on my processor awhile ago, but it hasn't come back, and I don't know if it was related.

Attempted fixes: Removed the secondary hard drive, tried booting to a recovery disk to do a repair (which gave me the message that it was incompatible with my version of Windows, in spite of the fact that it's the Win7 disk I used to install the operating system), ran Samsung Magician and Crystaldisk (results here), cleaned out the inside of the case (with air), unplugged and reseated everything but the processor and processor heat sink. It is currently working, but I'm making this post in anticipation of the fact that it isn't fixed (my gut feeling is that it's not), and I don't want to be stuck posting computer specs from my phone. I think this is probably an issue with the mobo or SSD, but I'd love some ideas for why it isn't, or if it is, which of the two is the likely culprit. I can't really afford to be replacing both at the moment.

Recent changes: None that I can recall... Uh, installed and started playing Diablo III recently? Haven't even run Windows Update in awhile, don't want to do it while it may lock up.

--

Operating system: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

System specs: Some possibly relevant notes: I used the Samsung migration software to move my boot drive from the HDD to the SSD when it was purchased. Most of my software and games are installed on the SSD, I uninstall them as necessary.

Purchased August 2011:

Mobo: ASUS Pro LG 1155
Processor: Intel Sandy Bridge i7-2600K 3.4Ghz quad-core
Processor Heat Sink: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
Storage Drive: Samsung Spinpoint 7200RPM 1TB HDD
Power Supply: Corsair TX750 750W power supply
Case: Cooler Master Storm Scout

Purchased June 2013:

Boot Drive: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB

Purchased January 2015:

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970

Purchased August 2015:

RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Crucial Ballistics

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
You can try replacing the SATA cable, but it looks like the SSD has failed. Note that your CRC Error Count in Crystal Disk Info is 1, which means the counter is pegged. In theory this could also be a motherboard SATA controller issue, but it's most likely to be the drive unless you get similar errors on the other drive or when you swap ports. Oh, and do verify the system can complete at least one pass of Memtest86+ without errors.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Alereon posted:

You can try replacing the SATA cable, but it looks like the SSD has failed. Note that your CRC Error Count in Crystal Disk Info is 1, which means the counter is pegged. In theory this could also be a motherboard SATA controller issue, but it's most likely to be the drive unless you get similar errors on the other drive or when you swap ports. Oh, and do verify the system can complete at least one pass of Memtest86+ without errors.
I actually tore through my cable bin looking for a SATA cable while I had the computer pulled apart on my table; no luck, but I'll see if I can hunt one up. Swapping ports gave similar errors. Hasn't crashed again yet, though.

Here's the results of the disk test on the other drive; the CRC error count is at 200, but I'm guessing that carries a different meaning for HDDs:

EDIT: I just put in an order for a new 500GB 850 EVO, which means I should be able to keep the requisite 20% free drive space much more easily. Should have it tomorrow, thanks to free same-day delivery via Amazon.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jun 10, 2016

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
SATA is based on sending command and data packets between the drive and host system. Each packet is checksummed with a CRC algorithm so the other end can tell if it arrived OK.

SMART attribute C7 CRC Error Count tracks whether the drive is seeing corrupted packets on its SATA interface. It's possible for this to happen due to drive failure, but the good news for you is that usually it's a bad SATA cable. Swap that thing out. You could borrow the cable from your HDD to test this theory since that cable appears to be fine.

(This also explains why things get super slow, by the way: when bad SATA packets are detected, the SATA protocol just retries until a good copy of the packet gets through. That might take a while if the cable is really terrible, so things can slow down dramatically.)

• Locked thread