Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Welcome back, comrades. Today we're doing another financial suite mission at FTM Wholesalers. This time around, we'll actually start to see some of FTM's trademark gimmick.

Here's the starting room. For some reason I've already got a red silhouette showing this special scientist character, but I'm honestly not sure why. :confused:

A peek through the security door shows nothing special.

Down here though, we've already found the exit. And this time I've got a much better shot at doing the side mission. Let's rob this guy and see what he's got.

He's carrying a compile key, which we can use if we make it to his special room. Last time the room closed down because we left him alone too long, and he finished up his work. But he should have a harder time with that now that we stole his key!

Coming out here to rob this guy ASAP left me a bit stranded out in the open. I pop a stim so I have enough AP to get back into hiding.

At the end of the turn, this happened.

This is the FTM corporate gimmick kicking in now that we're on Day 2. Somewhere in the facility is a security router. As long as it stays up and running, it'll randomly add 1 firewall to something every turn. Disabling this router just got added to our list of objectives.

I'm following right behind the technician for now. There's a small opening to the left, leading to a larger area and laser wall.

Whoah! Good thing I peeked around here. There's an armored guard, and I have no way to knock him out except the shock trap. I need to be real careful with him. There's hidden spots in the thin hallway, but approaching him directly is impossible. Once the hallway gets around that bend, it's totally watched. And he's standing still in place, so that's not going to change unless we lure him away.

It's also annoying that his vision is still getting in our way on this side of the room, but Internationale was able to carefully slip through. Just need to hug the console to cross past his line of sight.

But there is some good news - I found the router. Once we hack this device, its firewall-boosting routine will stop.

Over by the armored guard is a Daemon Database. Hacking this will identify all the daemon programs on the level, so I'll know what I'm dealing with when they show up. I'll explain this more later once we actually see one.

Time to try and lure this guy away with some sprinting noise. After this, I go run and hide back by the teleporter.

Meanwhile, Internationale checks out an alternate route. If there's anything over by that guard, we could get to it by going through this back way instead, past the laser wall.

But we'll also need a security card to get through the back route. The red line shows the security door, while the yellow line near the guard is a standard door. Might be faster to just distract him after all, since it looks like both doors go to the same place and we haven't found a keycard yet.

Another turn, another firewall got boosted somewhere. But not for long. Next turn the security router will be hacked. Thankfully it didn't boost the camera's firewalls. It's been hacked now, and Internationale gets +2 bonus AP from her net downlink.

The guard has started looking over this way, as shown by his red silhouette. But I need to draw him even farther away to get through that bottleneck. More sprinting will do the job.

Internationale keeps looking around for a power supply, to turn off the lasers. Nothing of interest in the room up here. But there's a safe off to the right. Let's check out what else is in that room before moving on any farther.

Hello. Opening this door caught a guard's attention, and it's a new type: a Support Guard. These guys are packing flash grenades. You really don't want to get hit by one cause it'll knock you out for a couple turns. Although you don't need a medgel to wake back up from that, the alarm will be raised and you'll probably have more guards on alert all swarming around you by then. Hell, even just the wasted time would be annoying enough. So as I was saying, flash grenades are definitely not good.

I didn't see anything else in that room besides the one safe, so we'll just leave that guy well alone for now. Found a couple more safes up here, but still no sign of the power supply.

The armored guard comes this way, and I can hear him searching around. Guess it was nothing!

New cameras are coming online for Alarm Level 1, but at least the router's off. Gladstone is giving a hint here that you can also loot the router after it's been hacked.

Behind this door, Internationale has sensed a new type of enemy: the Pulse Drone. They can't attack us directly, but they can alert guards to our presence. They're very similar to the camera drones, which haven't appeared yet. But instead of a camera that faces one direction, their pulse scan searches a radius around them, ignoring cover.

Like camera drones, they're usually easy to hack with weak firewalls, and can be controlled for 2 turns after you hack them. Or in my case, for 3 turns thanks to the Leash program. They make excellent scouts.

Gladstone does another sprint/sneak to lure the armored guard even further away. Next turn she should finally get a chance to slip past him. When he turns to look at the "?" tile, she can get behind him and start running back to his original post.

Ah-hah, found the power supply.

And now I can finally get to explaining daemons. Any mainframe device can have a daemon program installed on it, which shows up in the Incognita view. The daemon will take effect and do something bad to us as soon as we finish hacking it. Since we've hacked the daemon database, we can see the names of the daemons and review their effects. But if we hadn't done this, all we'd see is the extra red border around the device. We'd be able to detect that some kind of daemon is on there, but we'd have no idea what it does. Some are much worse than others. This Fractal daemon guarding the safe is a real toss-up. It doesn't do anything to you directly, but it spawns 2 new daemons which might be a pain later.

The power supply is guarded by a Siphon daemon. Hacking this saps some of your PWR. But with Gladstone around, this daemon is completely neutered. We get a 5 PWR bonus every time a daemon comes online, so sometimes it can even be a net positive. I don't get around to hacking it just yet, though. I have a few parasites out now, so I'm trying to clear out the cheap 1-firewall stuff first before we hit Alarm Level 2.

While the parasites are doing their job, let's go back to loot the router.

You can take this item from the router called "valuable tech", which is worth some decent credits. The downside is it takes up a slot in your inventory, and can't be sold off at the nanofab. You can only cash it in if you're carrying it at the end of the mission. Then Monst3r automatically fences it for you.

The guards do some fruitless searching.

While I was hacking it, the pulse drone made its way to the suite. Now that it's under my control, I get a nice view of the room and spot the executive.

Gladstone's finally making her move. I sprinted around the desk then switched back to sneaking. This will keep the guard delayed for one more turn looking around in the same room, to give me a small head start.

I want to hurry up and take out the exec, instead of putting it off as long as last time. This guard's a bit in my way, but I just need to cross through a noticed tile and then I'm all good. Checking out this tile will keep him busy while Internationale gets way the hell away, with a whopping 13 AP left. Net downlink is so good.

I'm near the suite now and still have some AP left, but I should take out the camera first.

There's also another room off to the SW to check out, where the guard is going.

I have the pulse drone scout out the rest of the big suite. There's no other doors past here, this is the end of the line.

When the guard walked through the door, I caught a quick glimpse of the technician and his lab. I'd nearly forgotten about it. My priority for now though, is the executive. So long as I've got the compile key, I don't need to worry about missing out on the sidequest.

I don't really need to scout anywhere else anymore, except for that area back by the armored guard. So my pulse drone has finished its purpose. I have it hide over here behind the table, so no one can notice when it reboots.

Gladstone's just made it to this room where the armored guard used to be.

I still haven't got around to hacking the power supply yet, because Gladstone's been taking a long time anyway and wouldn't need to go through the laser area yet. But I should probably do that soon. I've been hacking all the easy stuff first to keep a steady stream of bonus AP flowing in for Internationale.

This guard is pretty well hidden away, between a little wall and the safe. If I hadn't peeked around this little wall first before moving on, it would've been real easy to walk straight into his watched area before I even knew he was there. Just part of the fun of Expert Plus. He's stationary though, so I don't need to worry about him for now.

On to the main objective.

I can drag bodies a lot farther than last time we did this. I'm already in a decent spot between this sculpture and the table. Now back to Gladstone.

What the -

Oh. Gladstone walked straight into a camera. :doh: I was so excited about moving on past the armored guard's post, I totally forgot to check the ominous dark corner of this room where the camera was hiding.

This camera now has the "REC" symbol to show it spotted us. But this is hardly the end of the world. Cameras can't shoot you, so it just increases the alarm level, and prompts an investigation in the place where it saw me. Sometimes it's actually worthwhile to cop the alarm hit and run right past a camera, if it'll save you a heap of time in exchange. But I must admit I don't take that option too often, just cause it feels like bad form.

Our pulse drone buddy is now taking a nap to reboot.

I drag the executive around some more. I can't really decide on the best place to wait. There's not even anybody around here except the pulse drone.

I don't normally have Gladstone hijack the consoles, but she might as well grab this one cause I'm not going to bother bringing Internationale over here. Turns out this whole wild goose chase with the armored guard was for practically nothing, just this console and one safe.

Gladstone might be stuck here for a while. The armored guard has caught up, and before he goes back to standing around at his post, he needs to investigate what the camera saw.

For some reason, I still haven't got around to hacking the power supply either. I think I just forgot while staring at those big sexy safes. But let me draw your attention to the one with the Labyrinth daemon. It's got just 1 firewall left, so next turn it'll get hacked and the daemon will activate.

Or not! Green is good. We got a daemon reversal! Incognita doesn't just sit there and take it whenever an enemy program attacks. There's always a chance the daemon will backfire, and you'll get a special bonus from Incognita instead. The Attune algorithm gives us an AP bonus, but just for 2 turns. You can see a list of all active daemons or algorithms on the right side of the screen, just below the alarm tracker.

The pulse drone's rebooted now, so I can hack it again. It won't be much use as a scout anymore, but I don't want it getting in my way while I'm doing the brain scan.

As long as the armored guard's looking towards the door, I can open it to distract him from his post again. Then I'll just do the same thing as last time, lure him around until I can slip behind him. I guess I could use the shock trap to knock him out, but I'd really like to avoid him going on alert.

There's the enforcer, coming to check up on the exec. He's got a long way to go. One other thing I just noticed is the technician is wandering back over this way, making things even messier for Gladstone.

I tried robbing the armored guard while he was here, but still no sign of a keycard. So I can't just duck out through the security door. But I do find an EMP pack! They can be really handy in the right circumstances. You can use them to quickly take out a well-guarded device with lots of firewalls, or you can permanently kill off camera drones and pulse drones. Gladstone can't use it yet cause it requires 2 hacking skill, but she'll still lift it for later.

This'll make me encumbered, but I think it's worth it. Gladstone's going to be lagging about in here anyway while Internationale flies around the rest of the level on her way back. Might as well grab everything useful that I can.

The biggest drawback to being encumbered isn't just the AP loss. It's losing the ability to sprint for making distractions. I could've done some juggling and dropped an item on the floor first to work in a sprint/sneak before I got encumbered, but I forgot. So instead of luring the guard further, I'll just let him return to his post. This might not be such a bad move though, since I don't know what that technician's up to yet.

And now I finally remember to hack the bloody power supply!

Gladstone held her ground and didn't move yet, since the technician came down here after all. Not sure why he wants to investigate this area too, but he should clear out soon.

Level 3 spawns one more average guard somewhere in the middle of the level, closer to Internationale. Ho hum. She was getting bored waiting around for the enforcer.

Now that the technician's walked through, Gladstone can come back out and loot the nearby safe. It has a paralyzer inside, which would make her even more encumbered! But it's such a great item I take it anyway. That's what we got the moyomer augment for, to give Gladstone more AP back, right? Anyway, if I have to knock anybody out, using a paralyzer on them will make them stay down for longer.

The brain scan is nearly done. I've been dragging this guy all around the room cause I had nothing better to do.

2 daemons just activated from the stuff I hacked this turn. Siphon drains 5 PWR which would normally hurt, but Gladstone's ability gives us 5 PWR back. So there's basically no effect whatsoever. Fractal will spawn 2 new daemons, but I shouldn't have anything left to hack at this point, so they won't bother me.

The Siphon daemon was from the power supply, which means the laser wall's finally down. Gladstone could make her way up here to follow behind the technician.

Internationale grabs the vault card, which makes her also encumbered. But she's got more AP than she knows what to do with.

Literally. She can't exit the suite yet cause the enforcer's just made it here. He's far too late to stop the brain scan, but just in time to stand right in front of the door and block my way for a bit. Hm. Actually, I changed my mind about getting encumbered, let's just drop the valuable tech. I might need to sprint and make some distractions on the way back.

Lazy-rear end enforcers, quit throwing your Pokeballs around, and try actually walking somewhere for once.

Turns out I did have one last thing I might want to hack. The pulse drone woke up. Now you can see what an unidentified daemon looks like. This one was just spawned by Fractal, so it didn't exist in the database. But how bad could it be?

At the last second, I decided against sending Gladstone past the lasers. I got an idea to just lure the guard in a circle now by stepping into his noticed tiles. I wouldn't even need to sprint.

Internationale is still waiting for a chance to slip out of the suite. After having nothing but peace and quiet the whole time she was scanning, the new guys are getting in her way now.

The enforcer just spotted the unconscious exec. That should hold their attention for a while.

The hidden surprise daemon on the pulse drone was a Felix daemon. Doesn't hurt me at all, since I've already hacked all the firewalls on the safes. 2x0 is still zero.

And now I can make my way over here to these safes. But what to do with this guard that's still standing around here? I'll have to figure it out next turn cause I've used up all Internationale's AP.

I move Gladstone around and drop her extra items at her feet. This way she can sprint at the start of next turn if I need to make a new distraction.

Like so. Now that his attention's drawn over here, I can go pick up my stuff again.

I'm luring him over to the left side now, so next turn I should finally be able to get away from this guy.

Back to looting the safes. It turns out the area behind this safe was only noticed, not watched. So I can just walk right up and grab the cash.

Same for the other safe, this space next to it is completely hidden. This guard could've been a big problem if he'd surprised me before I knew he was there. But since I did spot him first, he's no threat anymore. Being hidden away in that little corner seriously cut down his vision.

My stim has cooled down, so let's use it to make more progress. I'd like to press a bit farther so I can get out of this room, put some more distance between me and the suite, and keep an eye on the path ahead.

This new guy came in next to Flash Grenade guy, where I still have a safe left to loot. But it's just a standard guard, and he might stray from his starting position. We'll see what happens when we get there.

Before I move on, I want to grab this safe and check out the technician's room. The guard here has been patrolling in and out of the technician's room. So I sprint/sneak to keep him busy looking over here for a sec.

Now I can wait just outside the technician's door without getting spotted by the guard walking in on me.

Finally, all that farting around with Gladstone is over. The guard's busy staring in the corner, so I could make it through the hallway and hide behind the console where it's safe. The extra AP from the alarm levels going up sure helped.

I don't even have to knock out the technician while he's standing around here. I can just come around the side here to use the key. But how long is it going to take to finish?

7 TURNS?! gently caress that. That's just cruel to put one of these guys on the same level as a financial exec. This was a waste of time.

I wish I'd just ignored the sidequest again. I'm just going to leave it and cut my losses. Let's go back to Gladstone, how's she doing?

OH GODDAMMIT :argh:

So... around the start of Day 2 is a very dangerous time for me. I start getting into a good groove from the end of Day 1, and forgetting that I'm supposed to be super paranoid, and just start winging it more quickly with my moves. And then I do poo poo like this - totally forgetting that this guy could actually see out here and walking right into his sights once I couldn't see the danger zones. Let's take a moment to explain what happens now.

The sign over the guard's head means he has me in overwatch. And if I hover over Gladstone, it says "AGENT TRACKED". The guard is fully watching me now and intending to shoot, which unlocks the advanced guard maneuver of "head turning". Just trying to step back out of his range isn't going to cut it anymore, cause his angle of vision will move with me. To escape overwatch, you need to be right next to actual cover. If you step on a tile without cover, or finish your turn without moving, you get shot.

This can quickly spiral out of control if other guards are nearby. But for now it's just this one guy, and there is cover nearby, in the yellow space just behind the console. I could move there and be stay safe for now. But then that armored guard will be actively hunting me from now on. I'm gonna use my rewind instead.

On the plus side, I can waste less time on the scientist junk this time around.

Here we are, back at the start of turn 19. Internationale will loot the safe again, but drop the compile key and get on her way.

And this time, Gladstone will just stay by the console and not try to venture past it.

The newest guard is heading down towards Gladstone, to check out the useless little side room.

Internationale is also heading towards Gladstone, she covered a lot of ground after ignoring the technician's room. She'll chill up here behind the desk to finish her move.

Gladstone came back near the exit. She can drop her extra items in the teleporter, to pick them back up at the last second when we're ready to go.

The items are sitting in the teleporter now. You can hover over them to see what's been left on the ground. I dropped the EMP, cause I got nothing left to hack, and the pulse drone's well out of my way. I also dropped the paralyzer. Even if I need to knock someone out on the final stretch, I shouldn't need the extra turns to keep them down. I hang onto the shock trap though, and the smoke grenade, cause those I might conceivably use to help deal with Annoying Flash Grenade Guy.

Speaking of that, Internationale opened up the door and caught that guy's attention.

The area near the door is noticed, but there's some nice hidden spots just nearby that I can slip into.

Ugh, of course he's just gonna throw a grenade over here instead of walking. While I technically could move up behind the safe this turn, I'd have to cross through another noticed tile. Then I might get myself pinned. I'll try closing the door, so he can't throw the grenade through it anymore.

That did it! Now he's going to actually walk up here to open the door.

Now I'll just move as close as I can to the safe, (remembering to close the door again behind me),and wait to zap his rear end. We'll do this the quick way, cause I'm real close to the exit.

That was the last safe I needed to loot. Now I just need to watch myself going back so I don't repeat that mistake with the armored guard. Gladstone comes back up here to scope out the safe areas again and refresh my memory.

Then I'll slip back near the exit so that other guard doesn't see me.

Internationale will keep this guy pinned while she waits for the other guard to walk through.

And of course, the enforcer spawns right next to us. This could be a pain.

Internationale can just make it into this little safe room without having to sprint. (and without crossing through the invisible danger zone) Gladstone has a ! on her tile, cause she was the one pinpointed for level 5.

I need to check what the armored guy's up to. He's "hunting" now thanks to being at level 5, but not moving anywhere. This means he'll just look around where he's standing first.

The main problem now is I'm not sure what the guard up north is gonna do. Is he going to move on, or try and come back towards us? I decide to have Gladstone block his way back with the shock trap. Then I can be certain that I just have the enforcer and amored guy to deal with. See the little lightning bolt on the door now? Her torque injectors also kicked in, to reduce the cooldown time.

Then I wait here in ambush next to the guard entrance, in case the enforcer comes this way. I presume he's going to go check out where Gladstone was pinpointed, but you never know.

Turns out nothing much happened. The enforcer just took one leisurely step out of the teleporter.

A lot of guys are still running around up here by the suite, but we'll escape long before they get close to us. The first one to come anywhere close to us will hit the shock trap. The finance guy has also woken up and is totally freaking out. He'll just run to the nearest teleporter to escape to safety.

Let's take out the enforcer, leaving us only the armored guy to worry about. I can't take him out with the shock trap anymore cause it's on cooldown, but if I can make it through the south door to trap it anyway, we're already home free.

Now I just need to be careful stepping through here again. I hug the console to stay behind cover.

Internationale carefully follows in Gladstone's footsteps.

And we've made it! The armored guy will be busy inpecting the enforcer's body next turn. We just need to casually walk to the teleporter and pick up our extra stuff.

Guess I should probably buy some more strength again.

Another successful mission to kick off Day 2! And things seem to be well under control so long as I don't make any dumb slip-ups. Next update, we'll try and decide where to go next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Does the technician room give anything other than a temporary boost? I too wasted a bunch of time on one for something like 2AP/turn for 3 turns payout.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Bruceski posted:

Does the technician room give anything other than a temporary boost? I too wasted a bunch of time on one for something like 2AP/turn for 3 turns payout.

I did one once back when I first got the DLC, but I can't even remember what I got then. I think you get a program for Incognita. Whatever it was though, it sure can't be worth a 7 turn wait.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
The technician gets you a free program for Incognita. It's a nice boost if you can get it, especially early, but that's also when it's hardest to do so eh. It was doable in that previous mission, but because Bifauxnen was unfamiliar with how it worked, he wasn't able to use it.

It's definitely not worth killing your team over though, because the program is completely random and so you may not even want it. I generally look for it early if I can, but if I don't find it within the first bit I skip it.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
The Technician Room gives you a random program for free. At least I think it's random. I'm not sure if it follows the same or different rules as the Server Terminals, and both times I've put up with the seven turn wait it's spat out Overdrive, which I immediately went on to regret picking up.

Daemon Reversal is neat although kind of impossible to plan around. The closest you can get is with the Faust/Brimstone gimmick run. Brimstone is a poo poo program, eating 3 PWR for one lousy firewall, but it also grants a passive +10% to your chance of Daemon Reversal, for a total of 20% for any given Daemon. Faust grants 2 PWR per turn but also has a 20% chance of spawning a Daemon each turn. Combine this with Central on your team for maximum hilarity.

I think I mentioned this before but I still don't really like Central being on my team, even in Expert Plus. Instead I went with Prism for a constant flow of extra PWR as my free seeded Parasites break all the firewalls in the map. Right now I've got that backed up by Lockpick 2 and Data Blast, and Data Blast is very nice.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Dude don't use Imgur, use LPix with the Rightload add-on. It's way easier :)

http://lpix.org/

http://rightload.org/

http://lpix.org/rightload_v1.4.2.rar

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I think Central's fine personally. On my Faust/Brimstone run, I prioritized maxing her anarchy for the bonus items. She subsequently found me 6 EMP pack 1s on the run I was using Dr Xu with his spammable free EMP to compensate for Brimstone's lovely firewall breaking.

It still came to use on my ancilliary characters, but it was still a spectacular example of RNG trolling on the already RNG-full Faust run. RNG-aside I think Central's high anarchy is a reasonable method to try to accumulate money faster to get out of the beginning slump.

My favourite 2 Anarchy starting character is still Archive Banks though. Parasite is good enough to handle most of your hacking early on so the need for more power is lessened, and the money flow from her stupid conversion chip quickly gets out of hand if you start with a Hacking 2 character as well.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I've finished taking screenshots for the next mission, so sometime during the week I should have time to do the writeup for the next update.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Welcome back to Invisible Inc. Last mission, we started off Day 2 with only minimal bumps along the way. My overall strategy of pumping up Internationale as fast as possible is paying off nicely. So long as we stick to level 2 missions, things should continue to go smoothly.

Most of the missions are very far away now, so I'm going to go ahead and pick the closest mission. Even though it's a ho-hum executive terminal, it will make some more choices pop up. Then we can probably find some better ones that aren't 12 hours away.

With all the credits I pulled in last mission, I can afford another point of speed for Internationale! Now she's maxed out! :swoon: You also get a bonus point of sprint movement at this highest speed level. This was my top priority, to help ensure my survival by having her scout the level as quickly as possible. But now I can finally start focusing my attention elsewhere. Like saving up some money for shopping missions. Or giving Gladstone's stats some attention.

Gladstone gets a cheap point of strength for 300 credits, so she can carry more gear. She'll pass off the EMP to Internationale, cause Gladstone can't use it yet anyway. It requires 2 points of hacking, which Internationale starts with.

I'm leaving the vault card behind in storage since it's useless on an executive terminal mission. And also the smoke grenade, just to make more room. I don't think I'll need it after all, at least not for now.

The corporation here is FTM again. Sorry this is getting a bit repetitive, but there are still some differences to show off compared to the first mission. Also, I promise this time will be a lot more exciting! :sweatdrop:

And here we go.

Ugh, just look at this room. The only door has got clutter flanking it on each side. It means I can't get anyone to stand beside the door to open it more safely. We'll have to just peek first, through the closed door.

Welp, there's a camera just past the door. Also the daemon database. Let's get to hacking them. The database itself has a hidden daemon on it, but that's the risk I have to take if I want to find out what all of the other daemons are.

Long as we're waiting in here this turn, I had Internationale run around the edges of the room in case she could sense anything else. I did find a console, to grab some more PWR.

This is the same routine as last time, with the security router bumping up firewalls. This isn't the only type of gimmick machine FTM has, though. I was kind of hoping it would be a scanner instead so I could show that off, but I'm sure it'll come up soon enough. And as the difficulty gets higher, they'll start having more than one machine scattered around the level.

The hidden daemon wasn't bad. Having the safes alarmed means that looting one will prompt a guard to go investigate. Nothing we can't deal with, and this effect will wear off after 5 turns. Gladstone gave us a 5 PWR boost in response to this daemon.

Oh man, Internationale has 16 AP right now. She's at max speed, and her augment gave her a 4 AP boost from hacking 2 things this turn. Let's have her get scouting!

What's this little area off to the side?

Whoah, okay. Level 3 armor. If that seems like a big jump out of nowhere, it is. But the reason he's showing that off so early is because we can disable this type of "barrier" armor by hacking it.

The armor level is determined by the level of firewalls, so once it's completely hacked, he's just like a normal guard. Some barriers can get crazy high in the future, though.

He's not coming towards us, so we can leave him be for now. He's going to turn right around after peeking out here, and go back into the room behind him.

That looks like a pretty big area over there, so let's scope out the other paths a bit too before we get all committed going that way.

We'll hang out behind this desk for now, a nice solid hiding spot in case anyone comes through the unexplored door.

Before ending the turn I check what else I can hack, and notice there's a daemon on the nanofab. The Echo daemon reboots a random device to put it back under enemy control. It's probably best to get this out of the way fast, while we don't have much hacked yet and we can easily predict what could happen.

The most annoying thing it could reboot right now would be the camera in our room. But we can easily be somewhere else when that happens. I went ahead and plopped parasites on everything, cause we'll get another nice 5 PWR boost when the daemon goes off.

An armored guard walked past us during the enemy turn, giving us a glimpse of the executive terminal. He's only got level 1 normal armor, but we still don't have any armor piercing except for the shock trap. Gotta watch out for that guy.

Looks like he's just patrolling between this room and the terminal room. Internationale goes behind him to scout ahead, and spots the exit already. This could be a really quick mission if I didn't bother hacking any safes. (but I'm going to hack the safes)

To finish up Internationale's move, I come up to this side of the desk. For all I know somebody else could come in through the other doors, but they won't likely come around behind this desk. (if they did, I'd ambush them anyway)

I can sense the barrier guy over there because we have the parasite infecting him. His armor has reduced to 2 now. Gladstone hides between the desks. This spot should give me a good view of what goes on in here next turn while still staying safe.

The echo daemon is about to go off at the end of this turn. I'm out of the way of the camera in case it reboots.

Well that was nice! Incognita reversed the daemon, so nothing got rebooted and everyone gets a 3 AP boost for a few turns.

Between that and the stuff that got hacked this turn, Internationale has a whopping 19 AP. But I heard someone walking around near the exit during the enemy turn. Let's try and figure out what they're doing.

Just a regular run-of-the-mill security guard, patrolling back and forth in front of the exit. I also found a dead-end room with a safe.

I'll settle in here and pop it open next turn. I also sensed a camera in the room behind this wall. It'll be nice to get a view of what's over there without having to sneak around this guard by the exit.

Down here by Gladstone, another normal guard walked up during the enemy turn. He's going to patrol his way back to where the barrier guy is standing. The barrier's about to be fully broken next turn.

This room over here has got a safe, and a door leading further back. I can also use this room to go around the laser wall. But I'll stay out of the room for now cause I know the barrier guy's about to walk back in here. Let's watch by the door for now to see where he ends up.

I've got parasites on everything I can see. No need to be stingy with PWR thanks to the daemon bonuses.

21 AP! :shepface: The safe's open now, and the camera I hacked is showing me another safe up there near the exit.

Oh right, that daemon's still running. When I looted the safe, an alarm went off. I forgot it also raised the tracker, instead of just prompting an investigation. Meh, no big deal.

This armored dude is going to be the one to check out the safe. That's nice, actually. Keeps him out of the way of the terminal room, which is where I want to head next.

And with Internationale's ungodly amount of AP this turn, I can make it all the way back to the terminal room already. I also spotted an extra space off to the side. There's a safe there, and a server terminal to go shopping for programs.

Barrier guy's magic armor is gone, but he's watching the back door so I can't slip behind him that way.

I'll hide behind the safe till he's gone, then I can loot it next turn. I also took a quick peek through the south door first, since I had AP to spare. I know there's another guard wandering around down there (see the red silhouette), but I couldn't spot him. Maybe if I'd opened the door instead of just peeked, but I didn't want to prompt him to come in here after me.

Looking at the new stuff I got to hack, this safe is pretty well guarded. Paradox is a very nasty daemon that puts a total freeze on your hacking until it goes away. I probably don't have much left to hack on this level, but I know I haven't found that router yet. I'll just hold off on hacking this safe for now.

A Pulse drone also came up by Internationale this turn. Thankfully it does its pulse scan before moving, not after. And now we can grab the site list.

Here's a new thing that doesn't come up on the first mission. In addition to the random missions that will pop up after we leave with the site list, you can pick and choose one new mission right now. The nanofab one is tempting. I could spend some money on getting new items instead of stats for once. But I just can't resist cyberlabs. :science:

Gladstone loots her safe, and it has a buster chip. Totally called it that I'd find one soon. You use buster chips on any item you're standing right next to, to manually hack through some firewalls. There's a decent cooldown on it so you can't spam it, but this will be a big help to supplement my parasites.

I need to be careful cause the guard patterns will change up now that I grabbed the site list. But up here in the next room should be safe to wait in ambush. And I found that pesky router!

Oh goddammit. Of course there was an extra camera hiding there. Another hit to the alarm tracker.

The damage has already been done, so I'm just going to stay up here and hack the router. I can use my new buster chip to get it hacked straight away.

The router had a Modulate daemon on it. This raises my PWR costs for all programs until it wears off. But there's no effect on the Parasites I already have working in the background. This daemon shouldn't affect me much, especially since I got a nice 5 PWR bonus in exchange.

Looting the router would make me encumbered again. I just leave the tech sitting on the ground for now in case I want to pick it up later, but I'll probably leave it behind.

Hm, I just had a fun idea. I can use the EMP to kill off the pulse drone AND knock out the big safe with that awful daemon on it! It can just barely reach both of them at the same time. It goes off at the end of turn, so let's end the turn.

The delicate pulse drone is now permanently fried, and I can even loot it for 1 PWR. The safe however, will reboot in a couple turns.

Argh, this square right past the door is watched, but maybe I should just run in and loot it anyway?

Nah, on second thought, I'll be good. The camera's only got 1 firewall, so I'll hack it first. I want to go shopping at that server terminal too, and it'll be nice to just take my time in here without worrying about drawing the armored guy's attention.

Gladstone's going to stay hidden here behind the router a bit longer till the camera's hacked and the coast is clear. I'm not sure what's going on with the guards down there, but they don't seem to be investigating here after my camera slipup last turn. This guy nearby is investigating something else, though. Maybe it's because of me grabbing the site list, and it changing their patterns?

Whoops, forgot I was right on the cusp of Level 2, scratch what I said about stuff being hacked next turn. :argh:

That safe's going to reboot next turn, and it'll still have that nasty Paradox daemon on it. I'll just barge in after all even though the camera's still on. Better than wasting all that time waiting around to hack it again.

So here comes another camera scan. My alarm tracker's bumped up a bit, and a guard investigation's on the way.

Ooh, there's a stim inside. I'll make me encumbered, but more stims are always good.

Next, I check out the server terminal. It's got 2 lockpicking programs for sale! This is just what I need to supplement my parasites during the times I want something hacked more urgently. Lockpick 1.0 is the standard one that just breaks 1 firewall for 2 PWR.

I can only afford to buy (or carry) one of these, so I pick Data Blast. It costs a little more than Lockpick 1.0 (3 PWR instead of 2 PWR), but it can hit multiple devices at the same time if they're near each other. Definitely worth the extra cost.

I need to try and get away from this area before the guards come looking for me, so let's put my new stim to use straight away.

Now I can make it out of sight between the tables here.

Here's how Gladstone's situation looks at the moment. She's still got some guards hanging around her, so she'll just stay hidden for now. And next turn the parasite will finish hacking the camera in her room.

The guards have cleared out now, so I can move Gladstone down here. As long as she's in this area, I want to have her check out what's left in that area behind the laser wall.

Everyone's after Internationale instead. There's 3 guards all clustered around here.

Internationale can't get far, so she just scoots over to the side of the tables. I'm worried that someone's going to catch a glimpse of the dead drone and then run over to look at it, so I don't want her standing right next to it.

Gladstone came through the door and finally found what was hiding behind the laser wall. It was the power supply, to turn off the laser wall. :toot: And some consoles that I don't need. Oh well.

Internationale is still waiting for the guards to clear out. Guess it might not have saved any time after all running past the camera. But then again, I don't have to worry about Incognita being locked down by the daemon.

The guard finished up his investigation, turned back around, and found the dead drone. They treat this just as seriously as finding a guard body. This guy's going to be on alert now. Yippee.

That puts us at Alarm Level 3 so a new guy spawned in the room where Gladstone had just been hiding.

Internationale's making her move. Opening this door got the guard in this room suspicious.

But the armored guard is none the wiser as she walks right behind him. I pop another stim to move farther ahead.

Now I'm way over here behind the desk where it's safe, and near the exit. Just got a couple safes left to grab while I'm waiting for Gladstone to catch up. One on each side.

Gladstone came through the laser wall to take a more direct route back. Data Blast is already coming in handy, I used it to finish up the hacking job.

That little room with all the doors in it has got lots of guards crossing through. Internationale's fine on this side of the mess, but Gladstone still has to get past somehow.

I've got a chance now to finally check out the nanofab. I'm almost out of cash, but if there was anything really good, it might have been worth selling off some other items. I'll give this stuff a miss, though. This flurry gun looks fun, but it's too pricey for me.

Internationale stays hidden next to the nanofab. I'll grab the safe on my way out next turn, but for now she can help observe some of the guards who are on camera. Gladstone needs to save her AP if possible.

If I stayed back behind the table to play it safe, this guard would be stopping right in my path. Time to start getting more aggressive. The shock trap will take care of him when he opens the door.

Then I can safely wait here, instead of up by the door where the other guard might see me.

Here comes that other guard I was worried about... just in time to see his buddy get zapped.

He ran over to check out what happened, so Gladstone zapped his rear end too.

This would've been great, except another guard was close enough to hear all the ruckus. He ran down here and put Gladstone in overwatch.

Maybe I should try a different approach.

This time, Gladstone will draw the other guard down this way.

Then she can hide over here. We'll take the longer way around instead of trying to go right for the chokepoint this turn.

Internationale redoes her turn, ignoring the nanofab and going right for the safe.

That went better.

Internationale comes back over here to regroup after grabbing the left safe. Once this guard finishes patrolling through here again, she can hop over to grab the right safe.

Gladstone will wait here till I get a better idea of what the hunting guard is up to.

Oh, there he is!

It's pretty crowded up by that door, so I'll come back down this way again.

This is starting to get frustrating. I have Internationale move down a bit to help get a look at things.

She still has enough AP left to go back the other way afterwards, and get near the last safe.

If I try and get through on the right-hand path, that one tile I need to pass through is going to be totally blocked off again. So I come hide back in this room. Next turn I might be able to slip behind the hunting guard, while the other guard is facing the corner.

Man, seems like only moments ago I was just barely hitting level 2 and feeling ahead of the game and ready to leave. Whatever happened to those days?

Once again, the new guard comes in near the security router, where Gladstone had been hiding for a while.

Some good news: I got the last safe now. Just need to get everyone to the exit. Unless there's anything through this door?

Nah, nothing but a console in a dead end.

Back to Gladstone then.... wait. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Okay notice how she has 1 AP left but can only move 1 tile directly to the side, not diagonally? Basically, this turn I was trying to do the same thing I did last time before the rewind. Where I put the shock trap on the door, then hopped back into hiding behind the table. That time I'd also had 1 AP left when I set the trap. But it was foolish of me to think the same thing would necessarily happen again in a different situation. Sometimes, depending on how much you move diagonally or not, I assume the rounding works out differently so your last AP can still allow you another diagonal move instead of just 1 tile to the side. But it didn't work out this time. gently caress this is gonna gently caress me up.

Welp, might as well still set the shock trap, cause there's prolly gonna be more guards running in this way once this dude sees me standing right here.

This guy came in and saw me first. Then his buddy turned to aim at me too.

At least I can move right into cover, but I'm still pretty stuck here. Even if I'd had a spare neural disrupter I can only do 1 attack per turn.

This requires teamwork. Internationale needs to stop being encumbered. I drop the site list here, cause it can't help me do anything. I just need to grab it again on the way out, and I'll have to pass by this way anyway.

Just stay calm, Gladsone! Help is on the way!

Yeah, she's always calm.

Now she's got just 1 dude holding her up, but another nearby.

Almost there! :sweatdrop:

This update would have been a lot funnier if I had not remembered to do this.

One more down!

Oh no guys I think the guards are gonna find out where we are :ohdear:

New enforcer came in way over by the last safe. That's good, I can work with that.

Might as well use my paralyzer on one of these dudes I just knocked out, to keep him out of the way longer.

Then I go and hack the camera here in the dead-end room, just to get the AP bonus.

Note the "!" over this guy's head. He's alarmed and hunting, but is not aiming his gun at us. Very important!

This means Gladstone can dash around him, passing through the "noticed" tile, then hiding behind him. Internationale ran the other way, her extra AP gave her enough to hide behind this door.

If this hadn't worked, I'd have to either run back to the nanofab for a medgel, or have Internationale try and drag Gladstone all the way to the exit. With her high AP that might have been possible, actually. It would require a lot of slow creeping around at level 6 though, and get very tedious waiting around for this area to clear out.

The new enforcer's just stuffing around in the deadend. So far so good.

But the armored guy's blocking my way, and my shock trap's still on cooldown for a while. I know what'll get their attention.

I'll just walk straight out into a watched tile where they can see me.

Now that they had a confirmed sight of me, they're gonna run down here at top speed, leaving me a clear exit up top. I just had to duck back into cover behind the table...

And then sneak around the back.

Internationale's taking care of the guard observation for now, and staying close by just in case she has to help out some more.

(Not pictured: ENEMY ACTIVITY, TURN 19)

On the way out, Gladstone gives this guy another zap cause he was about to wake up next turn. This only holds him down one more turn, but every bit counts.

Looks like we might have a clear shot at the exit. Internationale's disrupter will be back online next turn in case this guy or the enforcer want to give us any trouble.

Yeah, the enforcer's going to run through here briefly, then look the other way. We got this!

I just shuffle everyone around so they aren't on the wrong side of the desk, where he's running in.

YES! LET'S GET OUT OF HERE

AAAAAAARRGGHHFFF

Internationale, go pick up the site list that I loving forgot I left sitting by the desk, please.

Pop a stim and I've got just enough move points to make it back to the teleporter.

Okay NOW let's get out of here!

Jeez, that was way more tense than I thought it was gonna be at the start. Just goes to show you how very quickly things can fall apart. See you next time, when I hopefully pick a new mission type or corporation to show off.

Bifauxnen fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jul 26, 2016

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Surprised you didn't pick up the valuable tech, it's always worth it - just drop it somewhere for a bit like the site list, if needed.

The diagonal moves do take some approximation of root2 AP each, in practice that means that they alternate taking 2 and 1 except the 7th takes 1.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Hm, forums ate my other reply.

That was a very good level - I've been playing the game again recently with level retries enabled on expert mode and getting my poo poo kicked in on the first mission of day 2. I keep rolling levels where the exit's guarded by two stationary guards in a wide open room with no hiding spaces.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

tithin posted:

Hm, forums ate my other reply.

That was a very good level - I've been playing the game again recently with level retries enabled on expert mode and getting my poo poo kicked in on the first mission of day 2. I keep rolling levels where the exit's guarded by two stationary guards in a wide open room with no hiding spaces.

Jesus that sounds nuts. I guess you'd have to do something like I did in the previous mission, where Gladstone kept leading the armoured guy farther and farther away. A lot harder to do that at the end of the level though, when the alarm level's getting up there.

rchandra posted:

Surprised you didn't pick up the valuable tech, it's always worth it - just drop it somewhere for a bit like the site list, if needed.

The diagonal moves do take some approximation of root2 AP each, in practice that means that they alternate taking 2 and 1 except the 7th takes 1.

Yeah I had my hands full just trying to not screw up the level, so I didn't even bother trying to bring along the tech. Little mistakes can sure add up quickly, if I hadn't got hit by that camera on the way to the router, I wouldn't have had to run Internationale past another one to beat the safe rebooting. Then the guard wouldn't have gone investigating in there, so he wouldn't have spotted the dead drone...

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Bifauxnen posted:

Jesus that sounds nuts. I guess you'd have to do something like I did in the previous mission, where Gladstone kept leading the armoured guy farther and farther away. A lot harder to do that at the end of the level though, when the alarm level's getting up there.

I thought I'd check in game to see if i can get a screenshot of the setup, but instead got the one after I abandoned that run and though it was similar, I had my guys in complete opposite ends of the map, with internationale dragging a dead teammate, and banks at the exit with 4 oblivious but searching guards around her looking everywhere but the exit :v:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Proudly sharing "....gently caress.jpg"

had to abort banks, and made a solid effort at getting internationale out on her own, but couldn't manage it. there was 5 guards looking for her there and when level 6 came, they boxed her in.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

A nice nanofab.

Holocircuit Overloaders sounds fun but is a bit of a liability on Expert Plus. It activates a 2-tile 2-turn armour-disregarding stun around the agent when they cloak. This is particularly fun when paired with Subdermal Cloak, which causes you to cloak when you use a stim (but also eats 5 PWR, making stimming a bit of a liability), and/or Chameleon Movement, which gives you +6 AP when you cloak (sadly it does not cause an infinite feedback loop).

The Flurry Gun is incredible if and only if you are specifically doing a lethal run and are planning around getting the Flurry Gun. I think it's been mentioned before in the thread. It has infinite ammo but can only be fired for one turn per mission and is subject to the usual weapon restrictions. To effectively use it, you need one of three things. One: to orchestrate a Fire Emblem style trading gambit in which agents fire the weapon and then pass it to other agents. Two: to have Nika, who can attack twice per turn. Or Three: to use a Stim IV, which grants unlimited attacks for a turn. It has 2 AP, which is great, but on higher difficulties won't cut it after a while so it also helps if you have a Piercing Scanner or cart around a Ventricular Lance (or are Shalem).

The Buster Chip III is an incredible item. It chews firewalls, and has a short cooldown. I always grab one, sometimes more.

Seeing Bifauxnen's shiny new av reminded me I don't think we ever had an overview of the on-file bios of these agents, or heard Central's (voice acted) commentary. For example: "Internationale is one of the best all round agents I've ever seen, but she's held back by an unfortunate abundance of social concern. Used correctly she's the bedrock upon which you can build a winning team. Just don't ask her about the plight of the global proletariat."

(Every agent has a file of some sort; a report or magazine article or some piece of correspondence you can unlock in-game. Internationale's is a letter to the editor of a magazine she used to subscribe to but abandoned when they became not revolutionary enough for her.)

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Fedule posted:

The Buster Chip III is an incredible item. It chews firewalls, and has a short cooldown. I always grab one, sometimes more.

Yeah that was the one item I might've been tempted to buy, but with my new shiny Data Blast I wasn't in a hurry to upgrade yet. Data Blast is just ridiculously good. I'm gonna have a lot of chances to show off how great its range is next mission.

I might try and do more about the agent profiles when it's time to start picking new ones. btw big thanks to whoever got me the last avatar and this new one. :3:

If I was an Invisible Inc agent, Gladstone would say "Just don't ask her about Universal Basic Income" :v:

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Bifauxnen posted:

If I was an Invisible Inc agent, Gladstone would say "Just don't ask her about Universal Basic Income" :v:

it's true, don't

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I've survived through a few more missions, just haven't had time to sort through all the screenshots yet. Might be able to get started on that tomorrow, but the finished writeups and update probably won't be all finished till next weekend.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Updates will be on hiatus for a while since I am having laptop difficulties...

If my HD is still okay though, I'll get right to uploading the images straight away once I can get the stuff off of it. Sorry for the delays, been pretty run down in RL thanks to a lot of paperwork for my kid's US citizenship, and work sucking, and so on. :smith:

If my HD ends up being dead, once I get a new laptop I'll restart with a new party you guys vote for me.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Should've had better daemons on your machine :v:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I might do something just to keep the thread active tonight. Don't expect fancy graphics because I am poo poo

Like, just in general

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Firing up a new game of Invisible Inc - haven't played it in months, so I've been reading this LP to give me a refresher on how to play. I'm trying to wean myself off of Internationale, too, since I've used her in essentially every game.

So I also figure this is a good place to ask: does anyone know if achievements still unlock if you use custom difficulty? i.e. set difficulty to expert, then to custom to change the rewinds, then play through - will it unlock anything?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Firing up a new game of Invisible Inc - haven't played it in months, so I've been reading this LP to give me a refresher on how to play. I'm trying to wean myself off of Internationale, too, since I've used her in essentially every game.

So I also figure this is a good place to ask: does anyone know if achievements still unlock if you use custom difficulty? i.e. set difficulty to expert, then to custom to change the rewinds, then play through - will it unlock anything?

For achievements requiring you to be on some specific difficulty (like completing the game on Expert or something), you can change the number of rewinds without causing the difficulty to become Custom (Only the Ironman achievement cares about rewinds). For achievements that don't name a specific difficulty, you can use Custom and set whatever you want.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Fedule posted:

For achievements requiring you to be on some specific difficulty (like completing the game on Expert or something), you can change the number of rewinds without causing the difficulty to become Custom (Only the Ironman achievement cares about rewinds). For achievements that don't name a specific difficulty, you can use Custom and set whatever you want.

Perfect. I was afraid they'd patched that out or something, and I don't relish the thought of finishing the final story missions with limited rewinds.

I'm trying Prism and Sharp for this run as I've never played either of them before and I quite like Prism as my Internationale-replacement, but I haven't yet got enough augments to let Sharp shine. And naturally my first agent rescue is Shalem, who I've rescued so many times despite not liking him. :sigh:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Perfect. I was afraid they'd patched that out or something, and I don't relish the thought of finishing the final story missions with limited rewinds.

I'm trying Prism and Sharp for this run as I've never played either of them before and I quite like Prism as my Internationale-replacement, but I haven't yet got enough augments to let Sharp shine. And naturally my first agent rescue is Shalem, who I've rescued so many times despite not liking him. :sigh:

Sharp is a lot of fun once you get him augmented up. If you find any cheap augments at the nanofab that you normally wouldn't bother with, try sticking them on Sharp cause he also gets those KO bonuses from having more augments, no matter what they are.

Hardware update: I've finally got around to removing my hard drive from my laptop but haven't yet tried to get the data off it. New laptop should be arriving from the States in about a week or two though, so I want to try and figure out by then if I need to start over or not!

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Personally I don't really like Sharp because by the time you really have enough augments to really see his boosts, the challenging part of the game is largely over. I tried using him in my Endless Plus file, and Nika (who i rescued randomly) ended up taking the show. The augment to ignore heart monitors only works on kills, so it took actually more work for Sharp to be able to remove someone without raising the alarm... and he could only remove one without raising the alarms. Whereas I have had Nika just outright shoot like 4 things in a round to unshit a situation in a hurry.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Keldulas posted:

Personally I don't really like Sharp because by the time you really have enough augments to really see his boosts, the challenging part of the game is largely over. I tried using him in my Endless Plus file, and Nika (who i rescued randomly) ended up taking the show. The augment to ignore heart monitors only works on kills, so it took actually more work for Sharp to be able to remove someone without raising the alarm... and he could only remove one without raising the alarms. Whereas I have had Nika just outright shoot like 4 things in a round to unshit a situation in a hurry.

Sharp wound up like Salem in the run I did - third mission, was trying to get a vault key, and I forgot that getting a vault key involves sitting on a dude forever while the alarm rises, so I took my time cleaning out safes elsewhere - and when it was time to bug out, the alarm was at level 6, there were guards everywhere, and the layout I got had a decently lengthy skinny hallway with minimal cover between me and the exit.

Which is to say, no amount of rewinds helped me out as I got cornered and then everyone was down.

Oh well, for a first run on expert mode after not playing the game for months, I had fun and I'll try a new combo tomorrow. It's amazing how different the game gets when you aren't rolling Internationale/Xu all of the time.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Christ yeah, Xu. He's basically my favourite for how obscene his little zap is.

I've been thinking of starting another run but I sort of want to try something different. Would anyone have any suggestions?

My favourites are Dr Xu, Archive Banks, Draco, Gladstone roughly in order to avoid retreading old ground with the same characters.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Archive Prism has a neat ability, even just for simple things like being able to open a door without alerting a guard that's looking at it. She probably should have a partner with some sort of energy boosting ability.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Keldulas posted:

Christ yeah, Xu. He's basically my favourite for how obscene his little zap is.

I've been thinking of starting another run but I sort of want to try something different. Would anyone have any suggestions?

My favourites are Dr Xu, Archive Banks, Draco, Gladstone roughly in order to avoid retreading old ground with the same characters.

Prism + Nika won me a run in experienced - Nika would clean up guards if I made mistakes, Prism handled the influx of power brilliantly. Don't use seed/parasite, it doesn't work well - I brute-forced it, but yikes. I got lucky and got Banks as my third, and together that trio sailed me right through the final mission. :woop:

So try them! Or hit the randomize button, swap out anyone in your list if they come up, and experiment?

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
Well, I decided to give the game another go, and I think it doesn't want me to play it. I started the first mission and it had three guards and two cameras in the second room. It did not go well, though I managed to get away with all their loot, it was alarm level 4 by the time I found the executive terminal, and I barely got away before alarm level 6 kicked in.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Woo! Good news, my hard drive is fine, and I've now copied all the photos I took off it. I'm still gonna need some time to go through them and remind myself what the hell I was doing, but at least now I know nothing's been lost. :woop:

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
Congrats. The corps may have tried their best to shut you down, but you saved the most critical drive from the system and are once again able to fight the good fight.

You know what you have to do: rename your new PC Incognita.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

Just hope the new host for the data doesn't pull an Incognita...

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

A quick update: while I have recovered the screenshots I took of the next couple missions, I haven't got off my rear end to set up Irfanview and Photoshop and everything on my new laptop yet. In the back of my mind I've been planning to finally get around to restarting this over the Christmas break, but I don't want to overpromise as my laziness knows no bounds.

Hope everyone has a good holiday!

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
No rush, it's not like Incognita is on a timer our anything :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

I bought this game recently and have been having a blast with it so far. Sneaking around and getting goodies feels so spy-ish and there were some serious nailbiters and turnabouts during my ~30 hours of gameplay. I wish there was more variety in the appearance of corporate layouts and that there were better documentation files and tooltips in-game, but that's why we have guides and LPers like you, Bifauxnen! You taught me the wonders of the sprint-sneak and I've been abusing that in my ironman expert run so far to great effect. It feels like a broken mechanic, but if it's there and was intentional, I'll gladly take advantage of it.

A couple of questions. I'm taking Central as part of my team in a story mode: does this mean I don't get a second Central at the final level? Also, I want to squeeze out hours in a day before getting to the DLC 0-hour mission or tackling difficult ops: do missions I decide to skip over for that day (24-hour period, I mean) stay in the map forever until I do a 0-hour mission? I want to abuse the time remaining mechanic to hit up a crappy 5-hour mission away from where I am and then fly a whole 12 hours to a vault or cybernetic enhancement mission that's probably gonna be 12 hours away, but I only have 7 hours left and I've ignored those goodie assignments for two whole missions now.

EDIT: I played it through and my results are this... You don't get a second Central, or Monst3r, I'm assuming, if you choose them for story mode and hit a mission where they beam in. Also, that mission stayed in the map after the day flipped.

Olive Branch fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Dec 15, 2016

• Locked thread