Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Gregor Selan

"drat these coyotes! I've got the big one!" Gregor calls out as he wipes sleep from his eyes and prepares once again for combat.

pre:
AI: Strong
Resource: Generous
Type: Ranged
Spells: 1) 1/2

Look Around You fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jun 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Dorn Galanodel

Dorn sighs as more animals try and disturb their trip. The animals don't know any better, they don't understand how out matched they are. But they cannot be left alone, for if they are not dealt with they will attack the princesses and princes. And so Dorn draws his sword and shield and begins to head for the coyotes to drive them off.

pre:
Combat AI: Strong
Resource Usage: Frugal
Attack Type: Melee

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Gavin Redgrave

"Hey! Don't run away, you stupid bug! Get over here!" But Gavin's pursuit of the scorpion is in vain, and he reluctantly returns to camp, only to be roused by the coyotes a few hours later. He groggily rises and prepares to do battle once more.

pre:
Combat AI: Best
Resource Usage: Frugal
Attack Type: Ranged
[/quote]

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
Dorn, the Dire Coyote sees you threaten to fight back against its pups and leaps into action. You are able to fend the large beast off for now thanks to your shield, but are unable to find an opening to attack back in a way that can get through its tough hide.

Dihadn, your arrow finds the Dire Coyote while it is distracted. It shows no signs of slowing down

Gavin, you fire a mighty bolt that kicks up a great cloud of moonlit dust. It was dodged.

Gregor, the fire orb you hurl burns into fur and explodes like a bolide with a great flash of light. The Dire Coyote yalps in surprise.

The brood of young coyotes then swarm around you Dorn, biting at your legs and leaping atop you searching for your jugular. three pairs of jaws rip through chainmail and cut at your neck and calves.

Birel, you slide down into the valley into the scrum and have a choice: do you unleash your spell upon all your foes, and also Dorn? Or do you fire off-centre and only strike a mere three?

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Birel Inoxios

When the brief cloud of dust clears from Birel's vision, she sees that Dorn is caught in a skirmish and rather wounded. "Leira drat it, Dorn, you had that. Well, brace yourself!"

Reluctantly, she angles her spell to avoid hitting Dorn, blasting a soundwave that sideswipes several of the pups (instead of blowing them all away).

pre:
Taking the safe route, preserving Dorn from further injury.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Birel three coyotes are launched into the air, and all of their ears lower at the great noise.

PAUSE.

Roleplay, then Pass your turn, Change your tactic, Take a specific action, or call for an Extended pause.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Gregor Selan

"Yes!" Gregor cries as his orb of fire hits the coyote, still somewhat new to this whole "combat" thing. "Wait, no!" he suddenly cries again upon seeing Dorn being mauled by the pups. He hesitates for a second before deciding he may as well finish off the larger one (hopefully) before it can further hurt Dorn.

pre:
Resource: Generous
Attack Type: Ranged
Spells: 1: 0/2

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Dihadn Nailo

Seeing Dorn was set upon by the young, Dihadn slings his bow over his shoulder and pulls his sword, abandoning the ranged fight and entering the melee.

Ignoring Dorn, he avoids the young and focuses on the mother, intending to down it while it is distracted with Dorn and his shield.

pre:
Resource Usage: Generous
Attack Type: Melee
Ammo: 19/20

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Birel Inoxios

Happy with the result of her thunder-thunder-THUNDERWAVE (as she prefers to call it), she points her finger at anothet puo and says, "Now play dead, little doggy." Her hand slowly turns sideways and her stare becomes menacing.

pre:
Combat AI: Weak
Attack: Ranged
Resource: Frugal
Spells: (1:) 1/2

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Dorn, the vicious Dire Coyote finally overpowers your shield and knocks you down, incapacitating you. It goes on a rampage at the smell of blood and charges you, Birel, but you dodge the jaws that would have ended your life.

Dihadn, you don't have Dorn as a distraction anymore, Birel, you will have to do. Her dodge does give you the perfect opening to thrust into the beast's blind spot, making it snarl and lower its stance.

Gavin, from on high your next bolt is like the first, it only ravages the earth.

Dorn, you feel your strength begin to leave you.

Gregor, you would cast another mighty spell if you had any left, but only cantrips remain. A Firebolt indeed no replacement for a Chromatic Orb of flame, and barely leaves a mark.

The jackals swarm around your armor, Dorn, searching for a weak spot. One fits its narrow muzzle inside your chainmail coif and finishes you with a bite to the throat. You are stunned, and require a town healer to be able to move or act or regain hp again. Once finished with you the four join their parent in the melee with Birel and Dihadn.

Birel, you try to silence the victorious jackal with your own cantrip, but it only yowls back at you.

Pause. These things will actually be closer to 24 hours now that it's the weekend! Rip Dorn. Good thing you guys are going back to town! There you can either "resurrect" Dorn, or–if Ryuujin would rather play a different character–use that money to hire a new dude and let Dorn die or put him out to pasture. Bonus points for being a close relative of Dorn and the same class, but since it's only level 1 you can change to whatever you want. Either way it costs the party 100g, which they can "owe" and get sort of garnished from the next treasure haul because not donating to the church or adventurer's guild is looked down upon.

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 25, 2016

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Gregor Selan

Gregor backs away from the melee, partly from the shock of his new friend's throat being ripped out and partly because he really doesn't want to get bitten while trying to cast spells. He then throws another bolt of fire at the mother.

pre:
Move away so he's out of range of the coyotes (I'm guessing 60ft away from them?)
then cast Fire Bolt at the mother.

If the mother is killed before my turn:
AI: Weak
Resource: Frugal
Type: Ranged

Spells: 1. 0/2

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

Birel Inoxios

Birel is dumbfounded by the might of the coyotes. "Ah gods, you killed Dorn! You bastards!" In a fit of vengeful rage, she unsheathes her dagger and magically spins it in her left hand while the right traces out a protective ward. "Your fangs will shed blood no longer. My condolences."

pre:
Casting Blade Ward and providing a distraction.
Spells: (1:) 1/2

Double May Care fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 26, 2016

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Birel, the Dire Coyote again tries to silence the source of the loud noises, but again you dodge out of the way. It's slowing down, for sure. Or maybe it's pure luck. At any rate, this is when it turns tail and runs. You and you, Dihadn, attempt to take parting shots, and together you still the beast. It is at your mercy, and its brood surround it, licking the wounds. What do you do?

Their hides would be worth gold in any market. A tooth, nail, tail or just the fur would be worth gold to spellcasters, and would spare the beasts. The fresh meat is considered a delicacy, and would be the hardest but potentially most lucrative because is illegal to possess or sell.

You make it to town that night. Choose a skill and describe what advantage you mean to glean from it before you leave. You must gather your party before venturing hence, that means Dorn must be healed in the temple square or replaced at the adventurer's guild outpost.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

On seeing the coyote stunned, Gregor rushes to group up with his companions, and to check on Dorn. "We should leave them. I'm not sure I'd get much satisfaction slaughtering defenseless animals myself."

pre:
In town, Gregor will make use of Persuasion try to lessen the cost 
of healing/replacing Dorn if possible, or to reduce
the cost of resupplying and resting at an inn if not

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Dihadn Nailo

Placing his face close to the Coyote mother's face, Dihadn sneers at Gregor as he tends to Dorn. "Leave them? Their hides are worth so much money! I think we can leave the young to fend for themselves, but we should certainly skin the Mother and just leave the young ones to their fate..." Dihadn has a look of dread as he says the last bit.

Quickly standing up, he assists Gregor with Dorn and helps haul them to the cart. "Lets go" he says in a gruff voice as he mounts his horse and heads to town.

In town, Dihadn stops Gregor before he carries Dorn into the healer's shack. "Let us see what is about before we go in, yes?". Taking a look around, Dihadn uses Perception to scope out the Healer and try to find some bargaining chip Gregor can use to lessen the price of healing Dorn.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED: Three Missed Strikes? I'm out–Captain Walker

Dihadn, you are able to find a Church of PETA members who have an altar for a coyote, you tell them your story, they stick you in a Zone of Truth to verify it, and they tell you the story of the trickster Coyote. Always thinking of elaborate plans and getting punished in the end. Showing the Coyote and pups mercy earns the party the Church's mercy. They resurrect Dorn for free if you promise them to kill no beasts. A mark will be placed upon you all that will alert them if you break your promise.

Gregor, you find that while the town well is drying up, the well of your reputation has been poisoned. Your childhood sweetheart has followed you and spread word of your lack of control over your firestarting. They all give you wide berth and shoo you away from their sacred churches and inns. On the other hand, Maddie finds you. Describe what kind of hireling she is, how she scolds you, and write a new bond.

Pause: does anyone else have things to do in town? Does Dorn continue adventuring after his resurrection or does he turn in his equipment and gold to fund a replacement?

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Dorn Galanodel

Dorn wakes up, looking around in confusion, and asks the others, "what happened?" Then he rises and gathers his thoughts. When given the chance he prays for guidance and returns filled with holy power, now having the ability to actually cast spells to help the group out.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

Birel Inoxios

When they reach town, Birel immediately gets to work hocking her goods to the townspeople, with a new series of pieces detailing the "epic" scorpion they almost fell against. "If you had been there to smell its acrid venoms and hear the clattering of its chitinous mass, it would have been too late. Alad, poor Dorn. I only pray his injuries are not lethal."

pre:
Performance (Painting) to earn extra gold toward...
"medical expenses."

Double May Care fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 29, 2016

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Gregor Selan

Maddie runs up to Gregor and slaps him across the face. "Just what in the hell are you doing, Gregor?! This is probably the dumbest thing I've ever seen you do, running off and risking your life just for some gold!"

"Maddie, I..."

"Don't Maddie me! You know as well as I how foolish this is!"

"Maddie, the horses, the goblins... they're royalty. Besides, it's not like I was doing anything else other than starting fires."

"Royalty? How on earth are horses royalty, Gregor?"

"Yes, royalty! There was a curse placed upon their family. I'd love it if you came with us, you don't know how much I've missed you since I left. It was as if the light had gone from my life. You won't even need to come with us into danger! You can stay with the cart and the royal family. Perhaps you could use some of your training to aid us too."

"Gregor... Fine. I know you're too stubborn to change your mind, and I'd hate to see anything happen to you. I'll come, but you'd better be on your best behavior, and you'd better not take any stupid risks!"

Maddie can use Detect Magic and Comprehend Languages as rituals and will guard the cart while we are away from it

Gregor's new bond will be: I will do anything in my power to keep my love safe.

e: also leveled up to level 2!

Look Around You fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jun 30, 2016

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Birel, there just so happens to be a gallery opening you use your guild letter to attend. You completely steal the show and win the blue ribbon. Because you're an adventurer, they increase the prize money to buy you a fancy suit of studded leather. You also earn the ire of the town's former best artist, Libby, who vows that the next contest will go differently!

Raise your AC by 1!

Also Birel and Dihadn level up to 2!

Also Dorn gimme a skill to roll!

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

Birel Inoxios

As Birel graciously accepts her gift of a nicer outfit, she stands upon a small dais to address the art critics and snobs-in-arms. "Thank you so very much for this honor. I'd like to thank my mother for never believing in me, my father for disappearing when I was a child, my ex at PUG for trying to have me killed--good try, [rear end in a top hat]--Oh, the gods for cursing my whole being... and my friend Dorn for giving me the inspiration I needed to create such wonderful art... with your untimely death. Leira bless you all!"

When she finally descends the dais and has the mark of mercy adorned to her new studded armor, she tells the cleric, "I solemnly swear I will do no harm to the wildlife."
(If they will grant us the same mercy...)

Birel then turns to the artists (and Libby) and says quite proudly, "I know, talented and generous. That's just the kind of drow I am."

pre:
Level Up !!
*HP +6                   *Spell Slots (1st) +1

You learn the features:  You learn the spells:
*Song of Rest            *Healing Word
*Jack of All Trades

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Dihadn Nailo

Stumbling out of a dank hole the next morning, Dihadn realized he can move quicker than before, and also he seems to be better able to hold his ale after his night of drinking. Meeting up with the others, he denies anything about Coyotes and asks when everyone was going to be leaving.

pre:
[b]Level Up !!
*HP +6
*AC +1

You learn the feature: Cunning Action
Starting at 2nd level, your quick thinking and agility allow you to move and act quickly. You can take a bonus action on each of your turns in combat. This action can be used only to take the Dash, Disengage, or Hide action.
Sorry guys, been out on a work trip the last few days.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Dorn, you are too disoriented to make use of your downtime in Aushi. Instead you all prepare for the journey back to Syri Tower. Those bandits you fought before must surely have returned by now. Knowing the distance between the Oasis and the Tower, at what time do you aim to arrive at your destination?

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Dihadn Nailo

"I suspect that by letting the others go, they may think that we would come back. Let's plan our arrival for night so we can scope the place out and maybe sneak past."

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

You approach Syri Tower by night, and thanks to Dorn you all notice 3 hooded lanterns: one at the base of the tower, and two on separate sections of high ground. They're blinking to one another every few minutes to report in, according to some kind of sign countersign pattern. Everyone but Dihadn learned the code at some point in their lives–it's from an old song that hinges on callbacks between the performers and the audience. It's not in any language, just vowel sounds, so it's become quite famous. Gregor and Dihadn are able to lead you close enough to sneak up to any or all of the lanterns undetected. Each of the high ground lanterns has three scouts nearby to operate it, one asleep, working in shifts to keep watch over the tower, from which you can see only a single lantern operator through the stone window. The tower operators appear to change irregularly every five to fifteen minutes.

If any of those lanterns don't check in, there will doubtless be an alert, and any of them could alert the others. When each lantern is unmasked, the light gives you full vision of the operators. Otherwise they are shrouded in darkness. Each lantern is an arrow's flight away from the others, an 18 second all out sprint.

What do you do?

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Dihadn Nailo

"What is this code you speak of? I'm not exactly sure....well whatever its probably not important if I don't know it." Dihadn smiles at the others. "What shall we do about these laterns? I vote we sneak past and deal with them on the way out, no need to give our position away now. what do you think?"

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

Birel Inoxios

"...I'm not going to say I can't believe it, but wow, Dihadn."

"I suppose sneaking is a... better option than engaging with all three parties. Perhaps we can eliminate the center light after an interval and imitate them to buy more time. After that, well, we'd be in the tower. If they wanted to attack us, they'd have to leave the high ground or lie in wait for us to emerge, and even then... we'd have the advantage, I think."

She thumbs the handle of her dagger. "Well, let's keep that in mind should we need a plan B, hmm? For now, we sneak."

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Gregor Selan

"I am fine with attempting to sneak on by as well," Gregor says. He pauses for a second to think before continuing, "You're right, Birel, taking out the lantern at the base may be a good idea. Once we make it in we should consider barring the door behind us so the other lantern workers can't come in after us once the alarm is sounded. I'd much rather not have to worry about my back as well as my front while we are inside."

He then walks over to Maddie and points to a dune about 100 yards further away from the tower (to ensure they'd be out of any searh radius) before saying, "Maddie... take the Royal Family back there behind that dune and keep them safe." He laughs as he continues, "I'm sure you learned at least a few spells in Academy to defend yourself. We'll leave the light in the tower on solid once we have control," he says. He then gives her a kiss before adding, "Love you... and I promise I won't do anything stupid."

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Dorn Galanodel

Dorn looks thoughtful. Perhaps a bit dismayed. "I am not entirely comfortable with subterfuge, nor am I skilled at stealth." He taps his armor, "such lack is of course exacerbated by my armor." He stops for a moment, pursing his lips, glances at the princes and princesses, then adds "But if it is the best path to safety then so be it, I will leave the details to those of you with more knowledge of such matters."

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

You all sneak around the main entrance, backs to either side of the door, count down and charge inside, trying to take out the signalers before they could raise the alarm.

You have one shot at taking out the three bandits here, one of whom is sleeping, before they raise the alarm and summon the other six some ways behind you. Additionally there may be others farther inside the tower, above, below, or both.

What do you do?

Set AI, queue specific actions, chicken out, or whatever. You already made the group stealth check so you can surprise any camp you attack. The three bandits can be differentiated as such: the sleeper, the spotter, and the raiser. The sleeper has to be awakened before they can take their turns. The spotter is already armed and can wake the sleeper as a free action and use their action as they see fit. The raiser will pick up the nearby lantern as a free action then raises the alarm with their action.

To remind you of the rules, any of you who beat the bandits in initiative will be able to act twice before them because of your surprise round.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Dihadn Nailo

Knowing that the priority would be the bandit near the lantern, Dihadn readies his bow as they burst through the door to aim at his legs, with the intent of crippling the bandit so that he would not be able to raise the alarm.

Target the raiser with an arrow shot with the intention of kneecapping him. If I get two shots, go for his hands as well.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

Birel Inoxios

Birel reluctantly draws her dagger and approaches the sleeping figure. In a quick motion, she puts the knife to their throat and cups her other hand over their mouth.

pre:
Attack the Sleeper with a Melee strike, intending to kill.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Dihadn, your arrow sinks into the leg of the bandit closest to the lantern, and they clutch it and gasp, preparing to hobble towards the alarm-raising light.

Birel, you rip out the entire throat of the sleeping bandit. Your hand fills with blood and two jets of it make lines in the sandy floor. They are dead instantly.
It was a max damage autocrit that does exactly the bandit's hp in damage :black101:

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

Birel Inoxios

Birel fumbles around with the loosed head, wrapping her elbow around the exposed throat. Her eyes are wide, and one could hear her chant under her breath, "poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo."

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Gregor Selan

Gregor instantly decides to finish the bandit with the lantern before he's able to hobble over to signal an alarm. "Lets finish him before he gets there," Gregor whispers loud enough for his party members to hear.

Position myself just out of melee range, Fire Bolt at the raiser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Dihadn Nailo

"Well, that didn't go to plan" Dihadn says as he knocks another arrow and let's loose at the bandit crawling towards the lantern.

Same guy. Target his hand reaching for the lantern if possible.

• Locked thread