Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

lol yeah let me spend my own money on my work computer

(though i have a 120 gb ssd gathering dust if i really wanted to do that)

why d you have a ssd thts not installed? wtf? it takes 2 seconds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

it used to be installed, but i replaced it with a 500 gb one. i don't have any other computers to put the 120 gb one in.

i also have a 64 gb one somewhere

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

it used to be installed, but i replaced it with a 500 gb one. i don't have any other computers to put the 120 gb one in.

i also have a 64 gb one somewhere

give it to zdr

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

tiS is the second time I've heard about someone having a 120GB SSD lying around unused. I think they're becoming ubiquitous like that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i've been vaguely considering getting a NUC to use as a plex server so i'd put it in there but eh.

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Smythe posted:

give it to zdr

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Endless Mike posted:

i've been vaguely considering getting a NUC to use as a plex server so i'd put it in there but eh.

Has anyone said NUC if u buck yet

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I too have an unused 120 gig ssd somewhere

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Everybody who has these SSDs, please send them to ZDR - For The Glory of the Forums!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Bloody posted:

I too have an unused 120 gig ssd somewhere

Above your neck, below your hair

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

i thought the forums were in the cloud now

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

even clouds need ssds

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

at my last job we had a single responsive front end for everything from desktop to phones and while it was a tremendous pain in the rear end in an org as big as that it was definitely preferable to having separate front end teams since nobody had bothered to write any actual apis in the last 40 years anyway

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

PleasureKevin posted:

i thought the forums were in the cloud now
send them to zdr so he can give them to amazon or whoever to help out

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
ZDR NEEDS THE drat DRIVES!!

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
there's an open source slack ripoff called mattermost that's p cool

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Mr Dog posted:

there's an open source slack ripoff called mattermost that's p cool

except it's not because it's a slack clone

that means it's IRC implemented using web server poo poo and accessed via a web view so it uses like 10000 times the resources of IRC on both the server and on every drat client

oh but you can do reaction gifs and write bots using JavaScript so wait why are those good things again?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I can not express myself in a non memetic way

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

eschaton posted:

except it's not because it's a slack clone

that means it's IRC implemented using web server poo poo and accessed via a web view so it uses like 10000 times the resources of IRC on both the server and on every drat client

oh but you can do reaction gifs and write bots using JavaScript so wait why are those good things again?

sure, if irc had actual authentication and server-side history

nothing stops people writing native clients that speak the same rest/websocket/whatever protocol. and html5 can be optimized, it doesn't have to use hundreds upon hundreds of MB just to display 100 lines of dynamic backscroll.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Mr Dog posted:

sure, if irc had actual authentication and server-side history

nothing stops people writing native clients that speak the same rest/websocket/whatever protocol. and html5 can be optimized, it doesn't have to use hundreds upon hundreds of MB just to display 100 lines of dynamic backscroll.

it doesnt but if you want that close to the metal feel it needs to

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
i use atom and despite being a web view thing i find it pretty good

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

leftist heap posted:

i use atom and despite being a web view thing i find it pretty good

same

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

more like wub view

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Endless Mike posted:

lol yeah let me spend my own money on my work computer

(though i have a 120 gb ssd gathering dust if i really wanted to do that)

we dont have a backup system at work and my boss wants me to spend my own money to buy external hard drives to do backups of my work files. lol.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

BONGHITZ posted:

more like nub view

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i got a nuc and installed my ssd in it and installed a linux on it to run a plex server. it's p nice though i still need to get a couple things working right before i ~deploy~. i'm still in beta.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

fart simpson posted:

we dont have a backup system at work and my boss wants me to spend my own money to buy external hard drives to do backups of my work files. lol.

lol.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

turns out my time is worthless lol

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
just make it a web view

https://twitter.com/pcwalton/status/750786808330399744

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

fart simpson posted:

Life as a grad student.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

eschaton posted:

why would anyone anywhere give a poo poo

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

fart simpson posted:

are you BYOD? if not make the dude a deal, be like, yeah i'll back up everything at my own cost but only if i work on my own devices cause then it's a personal expense too to back it up.

if you're talking about servers then just let your boss and co-workers move into your home and use your own server this is my advice

seems useful. then you can better tailor your web experience for users with the best headphones on earth.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

that user string is for lovely HTC phones from the five minutes HTC was partnered with beats. if you look there's people still running gingerbread on them lmao

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

i wonder if they put that there was some like.. drm-esque thing so you could access Exclusive Web Content or if they're just like... must brand everywhere

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

browser by dre

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

PleasureKevin posted:

i wonder if they put that there was some like.. drm-esque thing so you could access Exclusive Web Content or if they're just like... must brand everywhere

USER_AGENT_STRING = Mozilla/${main_version} (${uname}; U; ${android_version}; ${locale}-${locale_lang}; ${device_name}) AppleWebKit/${webkit_version} (KHTML, like Gecko) etc.

and the device_name bit is set somewhere at a top level where it becomes visible in a bunch of places

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Smythe posted:

ZDR NEEDS THE drat DRIVES!!

sned the ssds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
the yosssd

• Locked thread