Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

Internet Kraken posted:

Just makes me glad From Software only copies the good parts of Berserk rather than the gross writing.

I wonder if we'll see any info on their projects at E3.

Did you play bloodborne?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Xenolalia posted:

Did you play bloodborne?

I was gonna say its not as bad but then I remembered one of the bosses is literally beating up the ghost of a pregnant lady while she sprays blood everywhere.

So nevermind I guess.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jun 13, 2016

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

New Prey and Quake got announced during my slumber?

Awesome.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

Mordja posted:

Real talk, did people actually like the Settlement system in FO4?

I did!

I actually spent hours on it - I made houses with decorations and everything. Then I logged back into my game and their engine caused everything to leap off its surface and fall over.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

I was gonna say its not as bad but then I remembered one of the bosses is literally beating up the ghost of a pregnant lady while she sprays blood everywhere.

So nevermind I guess.

i haven't played bloodborne but while that sounds pretty grody i imagine it's a singular isolated misstep and not apparently 'the most important scene in the story'

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Brother Entropy posted:

i haven't played bloodborne but while that sounds pretty grody i imagine it's a singular isolated misstep and not apparently 'the most important scene in the story'

just b/c it is important doesnt mean it is portrayed in a positive light or something it just represents basically the turning point of the story which heralds in the complete break down of humanity and despite mass slaughter and murder and dismemberment going on in that scene the thing that is considered the most horrific and immoral is the aforementioned act

weird to use it for marketing though i mean they could have put in just all the gore from the Eclipse and gotten the same message across i think in the trailer

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/EvNarc/status/742200431086964736

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

MotU posted:

weird to use it for marketing though

idk how i feel about the rest of what you said bc it doesn't sound at all like a story i'd want to even be in the same room in but i'll just stick to agreeing w/this

CheetoRamen
Feb 1, 2013
Preke and Quay.

Or Prake and Quey?

CheetoRamen fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jun 13, 2016

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Why are people so mad about Quake? I just watched the video and it's loaded with old fashioned nostalgia. You have the oddly square-headded Quake 1 marine with the lightning gun from that game, the alien thing had a rocket launcher whose design looked almost exactly like the one in Q3A, the guy with the flat-top and the metal mask grafted on where his face should be was one of Paul Steed's designs for Q3A. The blue-haired chick was out of place, but Quake II's female models were not very distinctive and Q3A's were not very flattering.

Just throw in Sarge and Uriel and I'm happy. It looks 90s edgy as hell, but I hate to break it to you but that's exactly what Quake was.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

CheetoRamen posted:

Preke and Quay.

Or Prake and Quey?

Queyke.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Craptacular! posted:

Why are people so mad about Quake?

The trailer had all the characters use different abilities, which means cooldowns, MOBAs, and Overwatch.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Mercury Crusader posted:

The trailer had all the characters use different abilities, which means cooldowns, MOBAs, and Overwatch.

but Overwatch rules???? I mean even goons despite their cynicism were all over that poo poo.

I'd wait until I see it. DOOM's glory kill and chainsaw stuff worked differently than the old games, and was better for it. It could be class deathmatch, instead of class team objective CTF stuff like TeamFortress and Overwatch, and be better for it.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jun 13, 2016

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Whose the guy talking to Webb? That's not Sessler is it?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Craptacular! posted:

but Overwatch rules???? I mean even goons despite their cynicism were all over that poo poo.

I'd wait until I see it. DOOM's glory kill and chainsaw stuff worked differently than the old games, and was better for it.

I don't think people want Quake to be Overwatch - they want it to be Quake.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

Whose the guy talking to Webb? That's not Sessler is it?

Yes. Yes it is.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

sarmhan posted:

Yes. Yes it is.

Jesus Christ, what the gently caress happened to him in the timespan since he left Rev3?

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

I'd wait until I see it. DOOM's glory kill and chainsaw stuff worked differently than the old games, and was better for it.

Because old assholes like myself want a modern arena shooter, not an Overwatch clone.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

sarmhan posted:

Yes. Yes it is.

Pretty sure that's Tim Willits.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

TaurusOxford posted:

I don't think people want Quake to be Overwatch - they want it to be Quake.

Happy Hedonist posted:

Because old assholes like myself want a modern arena shooter, not an Overwatch clone.

It could still be a deathmatch game and not a move the payload, capture the flag, occupy the magic square objective thing like TF and Overwatch. I'd like that, and I'm an old rear end in a top hat, too, but QuakeWorld.exe isn't going to come back completely intact without any changes at all.

This is basically the direction Q3A wanted to go, which is why they added weird rear end characters like Baby Strogg Tank and Guy On Skateboard. You'd think those two characters should move at different speeds, one should be resistant to explosions than the other, etc, But didn't have the time to explore that stuff or else UT would have eaten their lunch.

You can sort of see it in how some characters like the Doom guy has two different skins of the same character (Doom and Phobos).

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jun 13, 2016

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

That's not Sessler, that's one of Bethesda's execs.

All E3 ops from here on must have this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vj8y6yAG180

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

It could still be a deathmatch game and not a move the payload, capture the flag, occupy the magic square objective thing like TF and Overwatch. I'd like that, and I'm an old rear end in a top hat, too, but QuakeWorld.exe isn't going to come back completely intact without any changes at all.

This is basically the direction Q3A wanted to go, which is why they added weird rear end characters like Baby Strogg Tank and Guy On Skateboard. You'd think those two characters should move at different speeds, one should be resistant to explosions than the other, etc, But didn't have the time to explore that stuff or else UT would have eaten their lunch.

Small maps, low player count, and pick ups. An arena shooter.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Craptacular! posted:

I'd wait until I see it. DOOM's glory kill and chainsaw stuff worked differently than the old games, and was better for it. It could be class deathmatch, instead of class team objective CTF stuff like TeamFortress and Overwatch, and be better for it.

I think folks just want a straight-up deathmatch arena shooter without all the class-related nuances. I mean I like Overwatch but I wouldn't mind a modern arena shooter, and Bethesda already sorta killed Quake Live by ending support of it and removing the "free-to-play" component by adding a $10 price tag for any new players. I guess the new Unreal Tournament does that already but it'll probably be in "pre-alpha" for the next 20 years.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Happy Hedonist posted:

Small maps, low player count, and pick ups. An arena shooter.

Whether we like it or not, 12 people running around at the exact same speed all firing the same gun at each other until somebody dies looks unpolished. I used to love watching identical clones circling around trying to out-strafe each other and withering each other away with the measly shotgun you spawned with (pfft-pfft-pfft UGH ppft-pfft-pfft AH! pfft-pfft-pfft FWAAAA) but no AAA studio would approve that today.

So, imagine they throw something like a baby Shambler in there. Shamblers from the first Quake actually took less damage from explosions than they did a hail of bullets, as much as that rocket launcher owned everything else. So you see Shambler-Man down the hall, and have to switch from your RL to your nailgun to do proper damage to him. That's the kind of "class" mechanic you can add that doesn't detract from the core of running around shooting at each other, without adding the MMO role trinity of tank/DPS/healer that Overwatch did.

I'm sure there will be a cooldown for that Mortal Kombat style fatality thing, even if it's just withering the other guy down to low health, but the whole MMO-esque raid element ("we need healers!" "they have a teleporter" etc) may not apply. Anyway, that's all I have to say about the subject.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jun 13, 2016

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

The Twitch pre-pre-show is going through negative-quality 80s games and it's a sight to behold. They're playing Action 52 right now.

https://www.twitch.tv/twitch

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

Little Mac posted:

That's not Sessler, that's one of Bethesda's execs.

All E3 ops from here on must have this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vj8y6yAG180

Many dank MLG pr0 360noscope twitch streamers swear by the gaming enhancing benifits of "Da bong"

GrenadeGame knows his poo poo!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Craptacular! posted:

Whether we like it or not, 12 people running around at the exact same speed all firing the same gun at each other until somebody dies looks unpolished. I used to love watching identical clones circling around trying to out-strafe each other and withering each other away with the measly shotgun you spawned with (pfft-pfft-pfft UGH ppft-pfft-pfft AH! pfft-pfft-pfft FWAAAA) but no AAA studio would approve that today.

Which explains why the past 20 years of equal-footing arena shooters failed miserably, yeah

edit: I think it would be more of a fair point to argue that Quake-esque arena shooters just aren't want most people want anymore now that the huge list of expanded features (classes, loot drops, xp system, leveling up) have become the norm. But I disagree that more complex = more polish just on its own.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Level Slide posted:

The Twitch pre-pre-show is going through negative-quality 80s games and it's a sight to behold. They're playing Action 52 right now.

https://www.twitch.tv/twitch

I opened to see them watching an old news spot on the controversy from Night Trap, with the chat spamming "Triggered", "SJW", and "Feminazi".

I think I'll pass.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Why would you ever watch something on twitch without immediately closing the chat panel and never looking at it

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Why would you ever watch something on twitch without immediately closing the chat panel and never looking at it

A fair point.

E: Now that I did that I'm enjoying this a lot more.

Mikedawson fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jun 13, 2016

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

When was this shown? Stopped watching after Bethesda's thing was over.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

CJacobs posted:

And youtube chat is even worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

hustle on over to the big dance http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3779815

• Locked thread