Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

really good

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
They should've waited to do the seedings for the World Cup qualifiers until after this tournament.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

lmao

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Gigi Galli posted:

They should've waited to do the seedings for the World Cup qualifiers until after this tournament.

And only include results from the preceding qualification rounds. None of this weighed average from the last five years bullshit.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Ronaldo must now lose the final and retire from international football, just like his lover and rival Messi.

It's like poetry. It rhymes

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
Griezmann to score 4 goals and break Platini's record would be cool and good

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Clattenburg will ref the final. Expected

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
he's bringing it home

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
Allez les bleus!

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I hope France wins by 5

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

dex_sda posted:

Clattenburg will ref the final. Expected

FA Cup, Champions League, and now Euro in two months. Not bad.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
https://twitter.com/arturpetrosyan/status/751368754756542465

Slutsky: "After losing to Wales me and some players gathered in my room, talked until 9 a.m. and then concluded: 'We're poo poo' in unison".

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nostradingus posted:

Ronaldo must now lose the final and retire from international football, just like his lover and rival Messi.

It's like poetry. It rhymes

ROnaldo never quits.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Shrapnig posted:

FA Cup, Champions League, and now Euro in two months. Not bad.

He is a breath of fresh air, a dude who lets players loving play.

It's like a rugby ref who got confused and went down to the pitch of the lovely game instead

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
someone make a thread for the final you lazy bitch rear end

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
alright ill make one fag rear end donkeys

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

ty

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
good

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
hurry up i need a place to post about how theres a billion moths in the stadium

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

hopterque posted:

hurry up i need a place to post about how theres a billion moths in the stadium

thats racism

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Jonathan Wilson laments Euro 2016 being a poo poo tournament:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/jul/12/euro-2016-death-possession-football

quote:

Instead, this is a lament for the best of the international tournaments, three-and-a-half weeks of sustained quality and interest destroyed by greed, political expediency and the woolly-minded give-everybody-a-go mentality that breeds mediocrity. Just because Euro 2012 was also a disappointing tournament doesn’t change that: the previous three Euros were all excellent. International football is drowning in the dilution of quality.

Euro 2016, perhaps, will be remembered as the first homeopathic tournament.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
It was pretty poo poo tbf

3 out of 4 teams getting out of a group is a disgrace

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

It was the best Euro OP

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
It was loving horrible throughout. greed is killing this "sport"

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Who's looking forward to 2020?

quote:

[...]

Uefa will surely pull out all the usual branding and marketing tricks, and there will be banners and fanzones and only one type of low alcohol beer available, just as we found in France. But with games spread from Baku and St Petersburg in the east, to Dublin and Bilbao in the west, it will be much harder to give the tournament that feel of a unified nation partying while it is having a football festival.

But it’s not just the finals tournament of Euro 2020 that will feel completely different. Uefa is also planning significant changes to the way qualifying works, with the introduction of the Uefa Nations League tournament from 2018.

[...]

In each league, the four best-placed teams who haven’t yet qualified for the finals get another shot, via a play-off system. These matches are proposed for March 2020. There are going to be three main effects of this.

Under the new system, countries in Uefa’s top 20 nations such as Holland, Denmark or Bosnia and Herzegovina who missed out on Euro 2016 would almost certainly end up being among the highest-placed teams in League A or League B yet to qualify for the finals. The play-offs involve a one-off semi-final and one-off final match, with the winner progressing to Euro 2020.

One can understand Uefa’s desire to have its strongest teams and biggest TV rights markets represented at the tournament but can’t help feeling that progressive changes to the Euros since Euro 2012 have been about virtually ensuring that big teams simply cannot fail to reach the finals.

As well as ensuring that the big teams won’t miss out, the new system will also ensure that a couple of Uefa’s least competitive nations do make it in. One team from League C and one from League D will also be guaranteed to progress to Euro 2020 via the play-off system.

In the case of League D, under the current rankings, that would mean one of Finland, Cyprus, Azerbaijan, Moldova, Belarus, Latvia, Georgia, Macedonia, Faroe Islands, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Kazakhstan, Malta, Andorra, San Marino or Gibraltar being at the finals.

Yes, there’s always the chance of a fairytale success like Iceland or Wales. But let’s be clear – those two sides did brilliantly, but before the tournament they were ranked 22nd and 25th in Europe by Uefa. The League D teams occupy places 39 to 54.

The Nations League makes a lot of sense for these teams, giving them competitive matches against sides of similar quality, rather than them being endlessly set up as the whipping boys of the qualifying process.

But it does risk unbalancing the Euro 2020 tournament. In a situation where four best-placed third teams qualify from the group stage, there would be a considerable advantage to being drawn in the group that has one of the teams that Uefa usually considers the lowest-seeded teams for qualifying games. It might be great for a nation such as Kazakhstan or San Marino to experience being at a finals. It might be even better to be one of the teams drawn in their group.

The format of the finals will also pose incredible logistical problems for fans. If you are following a team who get all the way to the final, you may end up having to visit four or five countries along the way. Depending on how the group fixtures are arranged, you will probably end up having to visit at least two different countries just to see your country’s three opening matches.

And you will have less time to plan it. For Euro 2016, the play-offs to determine the last qualifiers were in November 2015, meaning the draw could be done before Christmas, giving fans six months to plan their expeditions to France. The final lineup for Euro 2020 won’t be known until three months before the opening game is due to kick off.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jul/12/euro-2020-bilbao-baku-more-minnows

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
That's a hell of a system to make sure the dutch get a place in the next euros

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

The qualifying system seems convoluted and stupid, but I think having the next one spread out is fine, Europe is small and relatively easy to travel around

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

rear end cobra posted:

The qualifying system seems convoluted and stupid, but I think having the next one spread out is fine, Europe is small and relatively easy to travel around

Unless you're a post-Brexit Brit.
Which I think everyone agrees is the strongest argument for both Brexit and UEFA on Tour 2020.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
The Brazil World Cup was the last good tournament, this was meant to ease us into the poo poo show of the next six years. Going from Russia to Qatar via the entirety of Europe, the last month will seem like a dream in comparison.

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

rear end cobra posted:

You'll swallow those words once we get the Gibraltar - Norway - Azerbaijan - Cyrpus group

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
There were 16 goals in the knockout rounds of Euro 2012, which was won by lovely boring Spain. There were 20 goals in the knockout rounds of Euro 2016, if you take away the round of 16 which was new to this edition. Don't let Guardiola-loving fags like Jonathan Wilson fool you, the Euros have been cagey and defensive for a long time, it's just in the WC where you get all those crazy matches because of the American, African and Asian teams.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

rear end cobra posted:

It's only easy if you're a citizen of a Schengen country and are following the games that are happening exclusively in the Schengen countries.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alexeythegreat posted:

It's only easy if you're a citizen of a Civilized country and are following the games that are happening exclusively in the Civilized countries.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

*remembers UK*

That checks out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me