Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

King of Bees posted:

I find it savory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Your steak could have used some onions and peppers though OP

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Ginette Reno posted:

Your steak could have used some onions and mushrooms though OP

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Ginette Reno posted:

Steak is great.

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

I LIKE PETA AND THINK THAT SCIENCE IS EVIL
Here's the steak I made myself for my birthday dinner the other night. A bit more done than I like, but I still ate the poo poo out of it.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

my god I really want a steak

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

SciFiDownBeat posted:

my god I really want a steak

Suck the poo poo out of my rear end in a top hat, it's just as good.

ShinyBirdTeeth
Nov 7, 2011

sparkle sparkle sparkle
now that you're filled with the spirit of beef, consider donating to my Grills for Goons project. We try to wean people off of frozen pizza and corn chips.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

OP I am legit happy for you. Good job buddy!

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i always pan fry with half oil half butter and clobes of garlic all busted up, only seasoning otherwise is salt and pep

sear edges first and really work on the fat strip if it has one, then cook till it has a crust

i like my steak medium, medium-rare so i dont mind it more cooked than less, never liked undercooked steak like some peeps

i always make butter garlic mashed taters with the steak and side of mushrooms sauteed separately while the steak cooks or maybe brocollini or aspergers

im not really into sauces but im experimenting with a bechemel??? have yet to have one really turn out.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Sear the steak to keep all of the blood inside. Also serve over-easy with catsup.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

If OP put the horseradish on his steak then he's a lying pile of poo poo and the steak was not good.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Decrepus posted:

Sear the steak to keep all of the blood inside. Also serve over-easy with catsup.

We've had this discussion in another thread recently. Searing doesn't keep the juices inside, it's a complete myth. Searing is for Maillard, has nothing to do with moisture retention.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

PureEvil6_13 posted:

Here's the steak I made myself for my birthday dinner the other night. A bit more done than I like, but I still ate the poo poo out of it.

Sirloin?

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

Serviette posted:

Veggie burgers, almond milk, and yoga, Big Burrito? The trifecta... It's too powerful!

yoga?thats the little green guy from starwars 2 right? dont know anything about that little taco

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I make some pretty good steak, you see I buy the cheapest but biggest steak at the store then I throw it on the barbeque and let it burn until it has roughly the texture of a shoe. Slather it in barbecue sauce and enjoy my delicious meal.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
did op get his steak from outback steakhouse? australians are apparently known for making a good steak or somethin

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Gaunab posted:

did op get his steak from outback steakhouse? australians are apparently known for making a good steak or somethin

Australians eat lamb I think.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Aussies have access to mutton.
For that I am jealous.

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

Top Iowa!

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Days like this I thank god I grew up on a beef farm.

<takes sirloin out of freezer>

Only 1,397 lbs left.

Android Bicyclist posted:

For that I am jealous.

Would literally trade beef 2:1 for good mutton. I still like beef better, but top-shelf mutton is heavenly.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Android Bicyclist posted:

For that I am jealous.
mutton is like stinkier lamb

for better or worse

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

Blistex posted:

Days like this I thank god I grew up on a beef farm.

<takes sirloin out of freezer>

Only 1,397 lbs left.

Would literally trade beef 2:1 for good mutton. I still like beef better, but top-shelf mutton is heavenly.

Grew up on dairy farm. . .whole straight milk is glorious. Fresh fried chicken. . .however, the meat we got was retired Holstein and my mom broiled steaks 90% of the time.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

King of Bees posted:

Well I'm going to make a ham steak very reminiscent of a certain amazing .jpeg

Its pronounced jpg like jif

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

PureEvil6_13 posted:

Grew up on dairy farm. . .whole straight milk is glorious. Fresh fried chicken. . .however, the meat we got was retired Holstein and my mom broiled steaks 90% of the time.

When my father was first starting up his farm, him and my mother would usually have an old cow butchered, and she would have to bring out the meat tenderizing hammer to make it decent. One day they said to themselves, "why the hell are we doing this?". From then on their would specifically raise a heifer or steer for personal consumption, and have it on a high-feed diet. Since it could easily get full, it wouldn't need to graze as much, and would spend more time lounging around with full stomachs and not burning as many calories or toughening up its muscles.

Our farm is primarily Limousin and Charolais cattle (used to be ~1100 head, but it's now a one-man operation so it's been downscaled to just over 650 head). Limousin cattle have some of the highest dressing weights and Charolais are some of the fastest gainers. Both breeds have really nicely marbled meat, so when you mix the two you have the perfect cattle for not only eating, but also profit. If you feed them right, their meat looks nearly identical to Kobe beef, but that's waaaay to fatty for our tastes. Raising beef on corn is a really big no-no as corn will taint the meat and even cause the fat to turn yellow and the beef to take on a corny flavour. The ideal feed is grass. We feed our beef grass, hay (grass) and feed pellets (compressed grass), so you really get a nice beefy taste without some of the additional (imo, less desirable) flavours that you get from feed lot cattle that are primarily fed subsidized corn feed.

A lot of people swear by Angus beef, but that is just really effective marketing, in that people in the US especially are told Angus is the best possible beef in North America. Personally, I don't care for the flavour as much as ours (might be personal bias), but it is still good beef.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

A nice sirloin is an under rated steak. A lot of the cuts that don't get much press due to less marbling actually have more flavor and as long as you don't cook them to death they're still plenty tender.

Plus everything from Iowa is better because I'm from Iowa.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Blistex posted:

I still like beef better, but top-shelf mutton is heavenly.

Samesies.

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

Blistex posted:

When my father was first starting up his farm, him and my mother would usually have an old cow butchered, and she would have to bring out the meat tenderizing hammer to make it decent. One day they said to themselves, "why the hell are we doing this?". From then on their would specifically raise a heifer or steer for personal consumption, and have it on a high-feed diet. Since it could easily get full, it wouldn't need to graze as much, and would spend more time lounging around with full stomachs and not burning as many calories or toughening up its muscles.

Our farm is primarily Limousin and Charolais cattle (used to be ~1100 head, but it's now a one-man operation so it's been downscaled to just over 650 head). Limousin cattle have some of the highest dressing weights and Charolais are some of the fastest gainers. Both breeds have really nicely marbled meat, so when you mix the two you have the perfect cattle for not only eating, but also profit. If you feed them right, their meat looks nearly identical to Kobe beef, but that's waaaay to fatty for our tastes. Raising beef on corn is a really big no-no as corn will taint the meat and even cause the fat to turn yellow and the beef to take on a corny flavour. The ideal feed is grass. We feed our beef grass, hay (grass) and feed pellets (compressed grass), so you really get a nice beefy taste without some of the additional (imo, less desirable) flavours that you get from feed lot cattle that are primarily fed subsidized corn feed.

A lot of people swear by Angus beef, but that is just really effective marketing, in that people in the US especially are told Angus is the best possible beef in North America. Personally, I don't care for the flavour as much as ours (might be personal bias), but it is still good beef.

I was taught Limousin was basically the best beef around. Our meat was good for what it was used for. Our Holsteins are kept clean, cool/warm and non-stressed. I don't know the specific mix they are fed now, but it's chopped hay, corn, ensilage, cotton seed primarily. When I say I grew up on the farm, I mean I lived next door to the farm my dad grew up on and the one his youngest brother still runs. He's turned a small, no-steroid having herd of 70-90 into the 2nd top milk producing operation in the state, only behind a local agricultural college.

FrankieGoes posted:

A nice sirloin is an under rated steak. A lot of the cuts that don't get much press due to less marbling actually have more flavor and as long as you don't cook them to death they're still plenty tender.

I worked in a large beef processing plant for a time and I've seen things. . .but I've also eaten ribeye cut straight off the side; cooked in the boiling water pumped into steel box used to sanitize knives. I've always liked the sirloin for the more meat for your money kind of thing but I also think it has a slightly stronger taste than the more marbley strips or ribeyes.

PureEvil6_13 fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jun 16, 2016

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

PureEvil6_13 posted:

I grew up on a hippie parents farm where we had everything except cows and hogs. But my dad would just trade with neighbors for them, or buy it if he had to. Had chickens and geese and goats and lamb (and horses, but we didn't eat those).

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

FrankieGoes posted:

Sirloins (my favourite steak cut) are under-rated because of a few reasons.

1. They don't have the familiar/stereotypical T-shaped bone in them (like the T-Bone) so they don't look like a typical steak.

2. A full-sized sirloin isn't usually one perfectly/uniformly shaped, solid piece. They can come in various shapes and usually have a "joint" or "tear" in the middle and taper at one end.

3. They are less well known and not as well marketed as the T-bone, Ribeye, Strip, Porterhouse, etc.

PureEvil6_13 posted:

I was taught Limousin was basically the best beef around. Our meat was good for what it was used for. Our Holsteins are kept clean, cool/warm and non-stressed. I don't know the specific mix they are fed now, but it's chopped hay, corn, ensilage, cotton seed primarily. When I say I grew up on the farm, I mean I lived next door to the farm my dad grew up on and the one his youngest brother still runs. He's turned a small, no-steroid having herd of 70-90 into the 2nd top milk producing operation in the state, only behind a local agricultural college.

With a good, balanced diet. A lot of dairy breeds can approach and almost match beef quality of beef breeds. The key is usually to feed them as such from an early age and to butcher them before they have calved or gotten too old.

Blistex fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jun 16, 2016

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

I'm completely fine with sirloins being a secret. Living in KC everyone is all KC STRIP DURRRR TEH BEST

And here's another good reason to like top sirloin:

Risky
May 18, 2003

Roylicious posted:

I got some creamed horseradish for you right here

Only with Prime Rib sir

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Blistex posted:

Sirloins (my favourite steak cut) are under-rated because of a few reasons.

1. They don't have the familiar/stereotypical T-shaped bone in them (like the T-Bone) so they don't look like a typical steak.

2. A full-sized sirloin isn't usually one perfectly/uniformly shaped, solid piece. They can come in various shapes and usually have a "joint" or "tear" in the middle and taper at one end.

3. They are less well known and not as well marketed as the T-bone, Ribeye, Strip, Porterhouse, etc.

gently caress yeah. Sirloin rules. I buy the prime grade caps at costco and end up with a mess of really flavorful yet well marbled 1.5 inch steaks to pack the freezer with. And a bunch of end pieces for stir fry or cheesesteaks or whatever.

A good ribeye is nice but if I'm stocking up the sirloin is where the money is.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
things I learned growing up on a sheep farm

1. only name the sheep you're keeping for wool and/or breeding
2. fresh lamb chops are loving amazing

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
Phat Radical Mathematical type Scriptures

JiveHonky posted:

yoga?thats the little green guy from starwars 2 right? dont know anything about that little taco

Your avatar, I want to eat it.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

MrMenshevik posted:

now that you're filled with the spirit of beef, consider donating to my Grills for Goons project. We try to wean people off of frozen pizza and corn chips.

I think I would wind up freebasing both like a junkie who does methadone as a heroin chaser

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

vug posted:

i'm moved to tears by how perfect the steak i've just cooked and eaten was. rib eye steak pan fried, rare, salt and pepper, with peas, potato salad and a bit of creamed horseradish on the side

it was the most beautiful thing.i want to hug everyone

You should be crying because you ate part of a being with a face.

• Locked thread