Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

David Corbett posted:

Wow, what a great example of terrible game design. What were they thinking? "Let's name a room 'The Room of Extreme Annoyance' and then do everything we can to make it extremely annoying." Because that's definitely how you want your players to feel!

That was by no means uncommon at the time. Ref. Rick Dangerous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

zorromorph posted:

I use zorromorph@gmail.com for purposes such as this. Feel free to fire away. And now ...

Sent! :ocelot:

zorromorph
Jun 14, 2016

FredMSloniker posted:

...what the hell is up with that preview image? It's making my monitor strobe.

Dunno. Got a similar effect when I tried resizing the video so I left it as it was, for diminished assault on the eyeballs.

ElTipejoLoco posted:

Anyway, I believe "ferrocious" clearly implies something that is "aggressively ferrous."

Interesting. And thanks for all the advice.

pumpinglemma posted:

Yeah, it might be a good idea to speed up the video or have a jump cut the next time there's a room that long and pointless

I thought it was important to show it for the full experience and all that. Having said that, definitely won't show it again when I go back.

zorromorph
Jun 14, 2016
Town of ZZT, Chapter II
I finally get somewhere ... eventually

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_WYtbNPdPg

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
That jail sentence is a famous conjecture in mathematics. A lot of prime numbers show up in pairs that are exactly two apart: some examples from pretty low on are 3 and 5, 11 and 13, or 51 and 53. As numbers get higher, prime numbers thin out a great deal, but nobody's ever been able to work out if there's a point past which you stop getting prime numbers showing up in pairs like that or if they carry on forever.

The ZZT scenarios are full of little STEM in-jokes. Of course, the user-made scenarios tend to have their own... flavour of humour.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
When dealing with the lion room, couldn't you have pushed a boulder in front of the spawn to stop it? Or, failing that, used boulders to surround the spawn point? Admittedly, it's probably less trouble to just run for it.

E: also, your shots weren't eating the enemy shots. When two of their bullets were close enough together, and your bullet hit the first one of theirs, the second one hit the first one from behind and reflected. As it headed back toward the enemy, any further bullets they shot would reflect in turn (turning the colliding bullets back toward you again) until a bullet reached its target in the enemy. At least, that's what the video looked like to me.

FredMSloniker fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jun 21, 2016

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
Ugh. Some of those boards had me reaching for the ZAP command, and it's been more than a decade since I've touched it last.

zorromorph
Jun 14, 2016

whybird posted:

nobody's ever been able to work out if there's a point past which you stop getting prime numbers showing up in pairs like that or if they carry on forever.

The ZZT scenarios are full of little STEM in-jokes. Of course, the user-made scenarios tend to have their own... flavour of humour.

Interesting. I was going to guess 101 and 103 were the higher end -- apparently not but I didn't feel like calculating any higher than that in my head. As for the user scenarios, I've, um, noticed. I've started going through them to make a list of adventures to go to after the stock ones are done with, and there's some really, really bad stuff out there.

FredMSloniker posted:

E: also, your shots weren't eating the enemy shots. When two of their bullets were close enough together, and your bullet hit the first one of theirs, the second one hit the first one from behind and reflected. As it headed back toward the enemy, any further bullets they shot would reflect in turn (turning the colliding bullets back toward you again) until a bullet reached its target in the enemy. At least, that's what the video looked like to me.

I think you're right about this, took me a while to figure out what was really going on here.

DavidCorbett posted:

Some of those boards had me reaching for the ZAP command

It gets worse

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Wow, I never expected to see an LP of ZZT. I remember when it first came out and trying to put together my own lovely games.

It's a fascinating relic of the era before good game design was invented. :allears:

And like FredMSloniker said, you can block spawners by shoving boulders in front of them.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

David Corbett posted:

Wow, what a great example of terrible game design. What were they thinking? "Let's name a room 'The Room of Extreme Annoyance' and then do everything we can to make it extremely annoying." Because that's definitely how you want your players to feel!

If a player quits a game in disgust partway through, this means you defeated them and thus are superior! :krad: All told I do think i prefer the modern world where the gold standard for a "difficult" game is Dark Souls.

I grew up next to ZZT but never played it. I'd heard of it as a system people used to make ASCII adventure games, but that was really all I'd heard. These first two episodes have convinced me that I'd just as soon just cheer from the sidelines.

zorromorph
Jun 14, 2016

EvilMastermind posted:

And like FredMSloniker said, you can block spawners by shoving boulders in front of them.

Good to know. I'm sure I'll have occasion to use that at some point. I figured they would just push the boulders away or something.

Anyway, my apologies for the delay in this update. Post-production happened later than I thought due to, among other things, coming down with a 24-hour bug. Apparently my body doesn't like corn dogs.

Town of ZZT: Chapter III
New environment and puzzles, but I press on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5BxdB0BTMM

The thrilling(or perhaps not) conclusion will be next.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

If you clicked on 'order form', would it try to print one out? I'm curious what it would look like.

zorromorph
Jun 14, 2016
That appears to not be active in my version of ZZT(3.2). Seems it was probably deactivated before that.

zorromorph
Jun 14, 2016
Town of ZZT: Chapter IV(Conclusion)
The first adventure comes to its auspicious end. Next up: Caves of ZZT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMmdSeiU0nI

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.
Video's set to private, Zorro. Can't see it yet.

'sall good. Congrats on finishing Town of ZZT! G'luck on the next ZZT game(s).

ElTipejoLoco fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jun 28, 2016

zorromorph
Jun 14, 2016
Oops. Fixed that, thanks for the heads-up.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
That is some pretty solid 1-bit beatboxing from the PC speaker there at the end.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

I just noticed that there's clicking in the background that sounds like Morse code. Anyone willing to put in the effort to figure it out? I'd do it myself, but between trying to figure out if the last click is long or short and the sound effects that keep breaking up the clicking, I'd have to put in more work than it's worth.

zorromorph
Jun 14, 2016

ElTipejoLoco posted:

G'luck on the next ZZT game(s).

They will all succumb. Eventually. I hope. Possibly. Maybe not.

Volume II: Caves of ZZT
Alternate Title? : Revenge of the Purple Keys
Chapter I
In which I bumble about and eventually find my way to Hell ... discovering that things really can get worse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcN592_qxIU

zorromorph
Jun 14, 2016
Caves of ZZT, Chapter II
The Devil has a sense of humour ... or at least thinks he does

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9Fys9udKPw

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

FredMSloniker posted:

I just noticed that there's clicking in the background that sounds like Morse code. Anyone willing to put in the effort to figure it out? I'd do it myself, but between trying to figure out if the last click is long or short and the sound effects that keep breaking up the clicking, I'd have to put in more work than it's worth.

I think it's the tick sound effect that it makes when you walk, but it's so short it sometimes doesn't play properly.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I've been watching the videos are 1.5x speed, so for me sound effects are even stranger.

bleep.bloop
Jun 19, 2016

Oh, dear leader!
I once spent 3 months on a summer break writing an adventure game using this game and its scripting language. I think it was the first programming language I ever learned. My nearest neighbor was almost a mile away so I didn't get out much.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

oh my god, zzt. One of the first video games I ever played, easily one of the most dominating of my childhood, and the game that introduced me to programming. I have so many good memories attached to this game and the dozens upon dozens of childish, stupid games my dad would help me download off the internet. I never actually beat a lot of the games because I was really dumb. :saddowns: Cool to finally see the endings.

zorromorph
Jun 14, 2016

Someone Awful! posted:

I have so many good memories attached to this game and the dozens upon dozens of childish, stupid games my dad would help me download off the internet. I never actually beat a lot of the games because I was really dumb. Cool to finally see the endings.

A zillion or so endings that suck(for the most part), coming right up!

bleep.boop posted:

My nearest neighbor was almost a mile away so I didn't get out much.

Not quite that remote where I am, but there aren't many within a mile. Not that I would get out much even if there were ...

Caves of ZZT: Chapter III
I learn that purple keys have nothing on the blue ones ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lZJQKTDnPQ

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

If you press spacebar, you shoot in the direction you last moved.

I have no idea why this is never mentioned in the instructions from what I recall.

Word on the Wind
May 23, 2014
Good grief, Caves is -awful-.

Also, you can buy yourself space in those auto-gun shooting galleries by shooting at the bullets, provided of course that shooting isn't banned on the map.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
Good grief indeed - I'm glad that ZZT had the ability to distribute scenarios, because the stock ones seem like they could use serious improvement,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zorromorph
Jun 14, 2016

Word on the Wind posted:

Also, you can buy yourself space in those auto-gun shooting galleries by shooting at the bullets, provided of course that shooting isn't banned on the map.

Unfortunately, shooting is banned in most of those, in the stock ones.

Gloomy Rube posted:

If you press spacebar, you shoot in the direction you last moved.

News to me, thanks.

Unfortunately this is now on 'pause'. A day or two after I put the last video up, an interesting thing happened. My computer decided showing any video at all was only going to happen sporadically. Then various errors appeared on subsequent boot-up attempts. Then it basically refused to show any video at all, and wouldn't boot up at all -- something got fried. Dunno what. So in a couple days it's off to my tech support(brother works in the business and knows a lot more than I do, replacing the graphics card accomplished zip).

I had a lot more gameplay recorded so I hope it's salvageable, and it probably will be, but I have to see what the verdict is before I decide how to proceed with this journey through gaming past. I'll report back here when I know more.

• Locked thread