Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

ChewedFood posted:

Mad Max made me want to play with cars/trucks.

Doof Wagon or bust :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
Hey guys I'm pulling the axles from the bronco right now and just a few quick measurements tell me I either need to buy or fab new radius arms. Or maybe someone makes a kit. So how does this work?

Please remember that I said i don't know the truck side of things here.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/5654905323.html

Just buy this and be done with it.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

ChewedFood posted:

Hey guys I'm pulling the axles from the bronco right now and just a few quick measurements tell me I either need to buy or fab new radius arms. Or maybe someone makes a kit. So how does this work?

Please remember that I said i don't know the truck side of things here.

Can't you swap over the radius arms from the Bronco?

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
Yeah I guess I just need to fab new mounts angled farther out because there's about a ten inch difference in frame rail distance

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Post pics? Do you mean the Bronco's mounts extend 10" past the Ranger's frame rails?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
The Bronco is wider, so I'm going to assume longer and more-spaced swing arms.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
The problem is the mounts from the bronco and the mounts from the ranger that are attached to the frame are probably the same angle. The axle, however, is about ten inches longer. Which means the radius arms will be attached to the axle farther from the wheels. Is that okay? That will end up with more articulation. What will that do to the steering bars?

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
So you're going to move where the radius arms attach to the axle?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
You really should read up more on the various OE suspension designs and drawbacks/advantages of each before you pull anything apart. There are big differences, all of this has serious implications on how your steering system is going to need to be designed, and you aren't using the right terms for a variety of suspension and steering linkages, which tells me you haven't done the research you should.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Let's see some photos of what you've been up to! Does it look like you'll be able to make the radius arms work?

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012

Astonishing Wang posted:

Let's see some photos of what you've been up to! Does it look like you'll be able to make the radius arms work?

The Ranger came with a lift kit from Rough Country. I will be using the parts from that as a stencil for my axle mounts. Here is the Bronco axle mounted so I can make measurements:

I had a falling out with the guy that was supplying my metal and now I'm reduced to using scrap to make parts. This square will become 5.0 mounts:

I plan on using the Bronco's radius arm mounts with home made shims to keep the same angle as they were at on the Bronco. Been drawing up mount locations on the Ranger but can't set anything in stone until I finish fabricating new TTB mounts.

Work really jumped up and bit me in the rear end lately. Once I can get to the metal supplier and place an order I'll be rolling again but my work hours encompass their hours of operation. Luckily I have next week off. I haven't had much time to put into the Ranger.
Kastein got me really reading up on suspensions and I've got 4-links half figured out now. I don't think I will have any struggle once it gets to that point.
The guy that was supplying me with metal tried to give me pipe and we got into an argument. I don't understand how you can make things out of metal all day for a living and not understand that the way it's measured is not the only difference between tubing and pipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Bronco TtB will be strong enough for your setup if you drive it right. And it'll be kinda unique.

Edit: pay attention to your steering knuckle angles. They cant droop too far at ride height or you will end up with positive camber and you can only correct it a few degrees with offset bushings. The entire axle has to be brought down if you're going for lots of lift.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jul 17, 2016

• Locked thread