Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fake_Kraid
Jun 9, 2016

Genocyber posted:

Been waiting for this.

Regarding magic, as long as your best fire and best lightning spells are roughly similar in damage, you really ought to use the Storm Ring and ditch the link. as long as you pay a bit of attention you can avoid taking damage from too much imbalance entirely, while having significantly boosted magic damage.

Yeah, I figured that would probably be the case, but since I've only got the first weak fire spell and also I'd have to give up a shield in my secondary set to equip two spells I'm not sure that tactic is going to be ideal for this build, at least at this point. As an auxiliary setup later on when I have more options it might be worthwhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mimingless
Nov 23, 2007
Oh no, I have a self-esteem issue
As someone who played a wand-mage my first time through(Though, 1h/wand, 2h, rather than having a shield :v:), it's also fairly easy to balance with a spell of one element and an incantation of the other, once you get some of the more flexible incantations.

Though yeah, staff-mage is actually kind of disgustingly powerful and the easy ability to alternate fire/lightning is part of the reason why. I still find sword/wand to be more fun to play though.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Mimingless posted:

As someone who played a wand-mage my first time through(Though, 1h/wand, 2h, rather than having a shield :v:), it's also fairly easy to balance with a spell of one element and an incantation of the other, once you get some of the more flexible incantations.

Though yeah, staff-mage is actually kind of disgustingly powerful and the easy ability to alternate fire/lightning is part of the reason why. I still find sword/wand to be more fun to play though.

When I did a mage playthrough I had magic sword and wand in one setup and staff in the other. Definitely the best way to play, especially once I got good at parrying with magic.

namad
Nov 7, 2013

Fake_Kraid posted:

Yeah, I figured that would probably be the case, but since I've only got the first weak fire spell and also I'd have to give up a shield in my secondary set to equip two spells I'm not sure that tactic is going to be ideal for this build, at least at this point. As an auxiliary setup later on when I have more options it might be worthwhile.

The problem is switching from fire to lightning makes it hard to stay floating in midair. Which you might need to do if you're playing the default configuration. I often will run backwards, jump, aim forwards. Because using both of the sticks at once to run left while aiming right and then still having a finger leftover for x or y is basically impossible for my hands.

Unless you swap to dark souls 1-3 style controls in which case you can use l1/l2 or r1/r2 for the spells while aiming backwards behind your back without having to jump. I only realized this would be a problem halfway through the game so I was too used to things to change it up.

Often magic is so OP you don't need the storm ring as much as you need to be able to accidentally not fire the wrong way. Staying in midair is quite useful against bosses that have arenas where the staying on the ground can get you killed.

P.S. In case this makes no sense, the left stick allows you to move and aim, but if you want to aim backwards you either have to jump and cast magic, thus freezing your movement, or use the right stick to aim while using the left stick to move.

• Locked thread