Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert
posting because I thought the thread title was american megathread

this is the new american megathread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

Apple smoked them all

yeah apple smokes a hell of a lot of wang

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

mega americatrends

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
America Megarends

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
you guys are my american megafriends

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

online friend posted:

you guys are my american megafriends

:3:

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
the bios that visibly counted up your memory before continuing to boot was the last time computers were any good

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
mac-boot

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

JewKiller 3000 posted:

the bios that visibly counted up your memory before continuing to boot was the last time computers were any good

p. much true, the one glimmering moment of the day when one didn't acutely feel the empty void inside left by the removal of the array of tiny lighbulbs showing the current register readouts

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

JewKiller 3000 posted:

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

rip amibiosornot.com

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

32768K OK :unsmith:

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
:unsmith:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

:unsmith:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

JewKiller 3000 posted:

and the ticking sound. my goodness

what exactly was it doing with each increment?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i remember my uncle giving me an engineering sample 486 which was twice as fast as my previous 486 and the RAM count was substantially faster

actually everything was noticeable and substantially faster. windows 95 was a bit sluggo on a 486-33 with 8MB of RAM lol

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

what exactly was it doing with each increment?

checking for bad RAM. probably just writing a value and then reading it back to see if it was the same.

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

also extremely loud hard drives

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Satellit3 posted:

also extremely loud hard drives

not gonna lie the terminal app cathode is extremely needs suiting for all those sounds, itll do that and bow the screen and add a lovely refresh and I swear it's like booting up my 486sx when I was a literal childe

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

so many memories of starting up slackware on a k6 and listening the old drives I cobbled together spin

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Agile Vector posted:

so many memories of starting up slackware on a k6 and listening the old drives I cobbled together spin

someday im gonna have to record my dual 5.25 scsi drive i had on my mac as a childe. it has a bell that dings when the drives finally reach cruising rpm :allears:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

murrican murgurturds

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 minutes!

Agile Vector posted:

loving lol at this child who didn't use slackware until K6 was a thing

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Agile Vector posted:

not gonna lie the terminal app cathode is extremely needs suiting for all those sounds, itll do that and bow the screen and add a lovely refresh and I swear it's like booting up my 486sx when I was a literal childe

my hgst deskstar nas 7200 rpm drive sounds extremely powerful when thrashed

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

i could never manage to install gentoo :smith:

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
i oncei once bought 4 american megatrends pentium III 1ghz computers for $100,000 a piece for a work co contract. in 2008z

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

C.H.O.M.E posted:

i oncei once bought 4 american megatrends pentium III 1ghz computers for $100,000 a piece for a work co contract. in 2008z

Wish u'd bought them from me

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

coppermine biiitches!!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

triple sulk posted:

it just fucks me off that Gentoo doesn't look at your system and compile exactly
for it, rather than some precompiled garbage or you have to choose options yourself

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

C.H.O.M.E posted:

nice. what kind of kickbacks did you get from the sales rep

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

being fat as gently caress is the current american megatrend

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

triple sulk posted:

i did it once then forgot to update for like a week and then when i realized how much poo poo i would have to compile i went back to debian

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

JewKiller 3000 posted:

upgraded my ram and saw the number go up even higher on next boot and it made me euphoric

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

triple sulk posted:

lmao... "type this and this and this" :cry: it's too hard :cry:

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i don't remember whether i finished installing it btw

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
personally i don't find it enough of a challenge

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
I tried, but never got around to finishing, building a Linux From Scratch installation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

nice. what kind of kickbacks did you get from the sales rep

none actually they just let some machines in. a semiconductor fab work like 5% faster than the 200MHz things they replaced so they actually paid for themselves in like 2 months.

if you have ever opened up a pc that has been in a clean room for 10 years its a surreal experience, all those old parts and no dust at all, it is weird.

• Locked thread