Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
Problem description:
I have an older rig (~4-5 years old?) that has been giving me hell rendering 3D games. Playing games, UI elements will load incorrectly or textured surfaces will flicker irritatingly, and the straw that's breaking the camel's back is having purchased Overwatch, I'm seeing most of the game's UI loading slowly/incorrectly as well as 22 FPS on low visual settings, at best. I've compared the required specs with my system's, and it "should" be running capably and then some.

Attempted fixes: I have updated my video card drivers to the latest version, and cleaned out (dusted) my machine in case overheating was a problem. I am not savvy and don't know what to try next.

Recent changes: No aside from video card driver update, and the flickering has been an issue as early as 2013, as I recall playing through Bioshock Infinite with it and just putting up with it when it appeared.
--

Operating system: Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 Bit

System specs:
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1090T Processor
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula
Graphics card: Two AMD Radeon HD 5900 Series linked with "CrossFire"
Memory: 8GB
Power Supply: Unsure, but sure it's supplying enough for graphics cards
Hard Drives: Unsure, but one SSD ~80GB housing the OS, one ordinary ~2TB holding files.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes, all advice for these graphics cards are very old and redundant with the newest drivers.

It's possible and I'm willing to accept "Your machine is old, time to move on," but if at all possible I'd like to squeeze a little more life out of this rig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Crossfire won't work with older cards and newer games so at best you're seeing no gains from it, and more likely it's hurting performance. Disable it and try again. If that doesn't help enough, upgrade to a supported videocard.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

Alereon posted:

Crossfire won't work with older cards and newer games so at best you're seeing no gains from it, and more likely it's hurting performance. Disable it and try again. If that doesn't help enough, upgrade to a supported videocard.

Thanks! This definitely bumped the performance up, but I'm still seeing that annoying flickering. Any ideas?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
You can try uninstalling your drivers, using Display Driver Uninstaller to remove the remnants, then reinstalling the latest beta drivers. Honestly I think your card may just be too old to work with modern games because AMD isn't maintaining drivers for older architectures. nVidia and AMD are currently launching the Geforce 1000 and Radeon 400 series respectively, so you might want to look into getting a decent mid-range card, even if you don't buy an expensive card five generations will give you impressive gains.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Appreciate the advice! After much fighting with it and multiple diagnoses I've found other posts online basically stating the same issue with my exact cards- the final driver release has a major bug and AMD doesn't host the older drivers.

In short, going to have to magically produce the older driver from the depths of the internet somehow or just finally pull the trigger and upgrade.

• Locked thread