Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
A lovely season deserves a lovely winner. Congrats to Nicole for being the dingle berry on top of a turd sundae.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

obliriovrons posted:

So for people who were watching the feeds and stuff, does this stem from, like, the way he was acting towards other people that we didn't really see all that much of on the TV edit? Because otherwise I don't really understand this result

Edit: Also this is my first season of BB so maybe I just don't understand BB

This result is utter garbage, but it's probably because of what Pillowpants said. An "I'm sorry. I get passionate and emotional sometimes and cross the line. I said things this summer that I shouldn't have. This game has taught me that I need to learn to be more patient with people." would have probably won him the game.

I'm so confused by Paulie's vote and don't get why Da' seemed so pleased Paul wasn't evicted and happy with his speech and then voted Nicole.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

mancalamania posted:

Also, did anyone get the sense that there was some fight backstage involving Michelle right before the show? She seemed visibly annoyed for the entire live portion of the show and even seemed snarky at Julie at one point when she was reading her question.

That was probably right after the producers told them to give it to Nicole, given how much she seemed to hate Nicole

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

violetdragon posted:

I'm so confused by Paulie's vote and don't get why Da' seemed so pleased Paul wasn't evicted and happy with his speech and then voted Nicole.
Previous jury segments showed Day having respect for Nicole's game and I thought she'd be a Nicole voter up until she started cheering on Paul in the finale so yeah that one was weird. Paulie's vote makes sense to me. Nicole and Corey were the ones who didn't turn on him and he is in love with Corey.

Natalie had at one point banned James from working with Nicole and Corey so losing Natalie's vote was pretty bad

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Yeah, I'm not entirely understanding how/why some of the votes turned out like they did. James for Paul? What?

Paul was obnoxious from Day 1, so to some extent I guess that finally bit him in the rear end. He hustled week in and out, so props there, but that personality, whew. If they ever do the long expected all stars season, he is almost certainly going to be a producer pick. He lives in the area, has a huge personality and has viewer recognition.

Would love to see the alternate universe version of this season where Corey went home instead of Glen. The toxicity would still surely be there as the season went on, but it would certainly have turned some alliances upside down immediately.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I was surprised by Da the most. You knew Corey was voting for Nicole. Paulie is the most bitter human alive so he was voting for Nicole. zakiyah is a useless human being who was going to do whatever paulie did. Natalie wasn't going to be able to get past the name calling.

I though Da would respect the game more though.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

On the After Show with Jeff, Julie said in Over the Top there are 12 new Houseguests + 1 Returning Houseguest. Unsure if Jason/Josea is part of the 12 or if there are 13 total.

All the weekly/live shows will start at 7 PM Pacific. Saturday and Sundays will have a new "Safety Ceremony", and if your name is not called by the end of the day on Sunday, you're nominated for eviction.

Finally the viewers vote for the eventual season winner. Going back to BB roots it seems.

Safety ceremony sounds like it could be a viewer vote? Or maybe a combination viewer/comp result? i.e. I won this secret small challenge thing, so the viewer vote doesn't matter?

Teek fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Sep 22, 2016

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

Fast Luck posted:

Previous jury segments showed Day having respect for Nicole's game and I thought she'd be a Nicole voter up until she started cheering on Paul in the finale so yeah that one was weird. Paulie's vote makes sense to me. Nicole and Corey were the ones who didn't turn on him and he is in love with Corey.

Natalie had at one point banned James from working with Nicole and Corey so losing Natalie's vote was pretty bad

Yeah, Da' was a toss up in my mind, too, until I saw some of the things she said during the finale. I didn't think Paulie blamed Paul for his eviction and would vote for someone who was his boy over a woman. I didn't think about him wanting to support Corey by voting for Nicole.

Jeff is interviewing everyone right now, and the jury members are saying the speeches/questions didn't change any votes. They're also saying Paul would have definitely won over James. :negative:

Teek posted:

On the After Show with Jeff, Julie said in Over the Top there are 12 new Houseguests + 1 Returning Houseguest. Unsure if Jason/Josea is part of the 12 or if there are 13 total.

All the weekly/live shows will start at 7 PM Pacific. Saturday and Sundays will have a new "Safety Ceremony", and if your name is not called by the end of the day on Sunday, you're nominated for eviction.

Finally the viewers vote for the eventual season winner. Going back to BB roots it seems.

I'm pretty sure Jason/Josea is the one returner.

I hope the thing about America voting for a winner just means we get a jury vote instead of the only vote.

violetdragon fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Sep 22, 2016

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

From everything Julie said, it really sounds like they're almost completely doing original Big Brother. Hopefully strategy will still play some part in the show.

So viewers will save everyone except for two people, and the Houseguests then vote to evict from among those two? Getting some Glass House vibes...

Here's some more collected info via Hamsterwatch:

Dingo posted:

In addition, we now know viewers will determine the winner, but they aren't going full international style: there will be a weekly HOH who will determine which hamsters are safe each week.. I don't yet know if the hamsters will evict themselves or if that'll be viewer votes

Live eviction shows hosted by Julie will be Wednesdays at 7pm PT/10pm ET.. there will be weekly recaps before those shows, as well as Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays, all at 7pm PT/10pm ET.. Julie will interview evictees on Thursday afternoons (times will vary - she's a busy lady)

Safety ceremonies when HOH will declare who's safe that week will be live Saturdays and Sundays at 7pm PT/10pm ET, and there will be live Diary sessions Tuesdays and Fridays at 7.30pm PT/10.30pm ET, and we've already heard comps will air live on the feeds.

Teek fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Sep 22, 2016

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Teek posted:

Safety ceremony sounds like it could be a viewer vote? Or maybe a combination viewer/comp result? i.e. I won this secret small challenge thing, so the viewer vote doesn't matter?

I was led to believe it is someone from Season 12. Interesting.

Jason will be better live feeds overall.

STING 64 fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Sep 22, 2016

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

The Fruit-Loop Dingus won 'eh?

Faaaart.

Um, okay... that's more on YER BOY PAUL! making a -$450,000 mistake.
Nicole had girl power in the jury and he should have seen that.
Bad jury management and calling a woman "oval office" never helps matters.

This season wasn't great but wasn't the worst either.
Just sorta middling.
I liked the cast but not so much their gameplay.

Hopefully, some future hamster uprights the apple cart and goes against the will of the house for a change because gently caress, that needs to happen. OFTEN!

Oh, and for OTT vote Jason in... Joeza will have learned nothing. Jason at least is a superfan that can take on board his past transgressions and he was snarky and funny. And he's a smoker and this last season has zero smokers so we need that because I work for BIG TOBACCO!

Malinois
Jun 13, 2003

oh no paul lost now his mom will never get a bentley

maybe he can afford to help his sister emigrate from pleasantville instead

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR
#BB18 was trending as the number 1 hashtag on Twitter for a few hours with this description:

Then, #paulwasrobbed trended at 13 briefly. Very few people are happy with how BB18 ended, but there is a lot of passion.

On that note, which old season of Big Brother should I watch to forget about BB18? I haven't seen 4-11, so one of those is preferred.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I don't see how Paul was robbed.

He robbed himself by taking Nicole instead of James.

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR
I just think it's pretty funny that "Paul was robbed" some how got into the tag explanation, and that people got it to trend on it's own, too.

I think Paul definitely put more work and skill into Big Brother than Nicole did. Winners that lay low all summer and then win a couple comps at the end are boring, unless they are puppet mastering others to do their dirty work. Nicole showed no real evidence of doing this in her DRs. The only time I can think of is when she successfully got Natalie and Michelle to put up Paul and Victor.

If she can't even put into words what her plans are or give more than one example of when she manipulated something to go her way, how are we supposed to see her as a good player? Maybe CBS has made the DR sessions too scripted or something, but I'd respect her game a lot more if her DRs all season had been like "I'm ratting out the Fatal5, because I think the guys can get me farther and I'm sweet talking Corey into convincing the guys that [person who is after me] is a threat to them." As it was, it looked like she got obsessed with Corey and hid behind him most of the summer while Paulie dictated what that guys alliance did until he was evicted.

There's a new clip about BBOTT on All Access. It is confirmed that there is no jury and America chooses the winner. Looking forward to a season full of James style pandering. :negative:

My excitement for this new season just dropped.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

violetdragon posted:

#BB18 was trending as the number 1 hashtag on Twitter for a few hours with this description:

Then, #paulwasrobbed trended at 13 briefly. Very few people are happy with how BB18 ended, but there is a lot of passion.

The producers are happy, I can tell you. Their social media posts weren't this enthusiastic about that nerd who pissed his pants every time he had to play the game last season.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...
As soon as DaVonne said she didn't want Paul to finish 3rd I figured it was because she didn't want to have to choose between James and Nicole.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
Yep, just as I thought, I'll only be watching Survivor from here on out

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

New thread for Over the Top here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3791474

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

How was James the better choice? Paulie, Z, Michelle, Nicole, Natalie, and Corey would have all voted for him almost for sure. Paul took Nicole because he figured the house would be split 5-4 and he was completely correct.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I don't know that James gets Paulie, Z, Nicole, or Corey.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Nicole and Corey have been gushing over James for weeks, why would they vote for Paul? Paulie and Z could also easily vote for James out of spite, it isn't out of the question, but that I could concede. James would definitely have Michelle and Natalie, so with Nicole and Corey locked, he'd need just one other person to vote for him worst case. So either way, it isn't like James was an easy win. Paul had a tough jury no matter what.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
Even if Nicole and Corey would have voted for Paul over James, it's tough for Paul to count on that. Agree that it was going to be close no matter what.

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

ToastyPotato posted:

How was James the better choice? Paulie, Z, Michelle, Nicole, Natalie, and Corey would have all voted for him almost for sure. Paul took Nicole because he figured the house would be split 5-4 and he was completely correct.

After the show, several jury members said Paul would have handily won against James, obviously Paul had no way of knowing that, though.

Why would Paulie and Z vote for James out of spite? Paulie blamed James for Z's eviction and felt the most betrayed by him.

Nicole had said previously that she'd vote for Paul in a Paul/James finale, but who knows if she'd still do that moments after Paul evicted her. I think she probably would have, though. Corey may or may not have followed her lead. It really was a toss up, either way.

It came down to Paul not wanting to give James 50k (and especially not 500k) for throwing competitions and "doing what the house wants" all summer. He claimed that he preferred to get 50k next to Nicole than 500k next to James. I hope that was true. :/

violetdragon fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Sep 22, 2016

Fedelm
Apr 21, 2013

It's called Ursa Major, not Ursula Merger. And that's not even it. That's Orion.
Whether there are more diverse age groups or not, I am hoping for better casting in the future. http://www.revelist.com/tv/big-brother-women-problem/4288

(And I don't think the season's winner changes anything about this article's points about women in Big Brother.)

I don't know what to say about Paul other than OHHHHHHHHH!

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

violetdragon posted:

After the show, several jury members said Paul would have handily won against James, obviously Paul had no way of knowing that, though.

Why would Paulie and Z vote for James out of spite? Paulie blamed James for Z's eviction and felt the most betrayed by him.

Nicole had said previously that she'd vote for Paul in a Paul/James finale, but who knows if she'd still do that moments after Paul evicted her. I think she probably would have, though. Corey may or may not have followed her lead. It really was a toss up, either way.

It came down to Paul not wanting to give James 50k (and especially not 500k) for throwing competitions and "doing what the house wants" all summer. He claimed that he preferred to get 50k next to Nicole than 500k next to James. I hope that was true. :/

I do think it's likely that Paul had some idea like, "Nicole deserves to go to the end more than James".

Which is the sort of reasoning which causes you to lose, which is why he lost.

Eb
May 6, 2003
My main objective with the season was that it was just way too ableist. Literally not a single houseguest was confined to a wheelchair. I had to check my calendar to see if it was still 2016 and I hadn't fallen into a time warp back to 1954.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Paul didn't get robbed at all. I was a big fan of the way he played the game through the first 2/3rds as he did a great job playing to people and working his way out of trouble, but he just stopped doing that after the Paulie dethroning and got cocky and stupid. He went out of his way to antagonize people and start fights. When Nicole betrayed Natalie and nominated her Nat hated Nicole and apologized to Paul for turning on him and was pulling hard for him. Paul assumed she was lying and went out of his way to antagonize her and poo poo on her in her final week for no reason other than simple spite. In the end that may very well be the reason he lost the game and that's a deserving loss.

Nicole isn't a great winner. She didn't strategize or control anything. But she played, won stuff, and weaseled her way out of fixes. She's an Andy winner. I don't enjoy it and I don't especially respect her if she can't own it, but in the end it worked and beat out Paul's ultimate "I'll be an rear end in a top hat and you better vote for me anyway" strategy, so there you go.

And hey, a woman beat a man in the finals so maybe that false theory is dead.

Full disclosure, I haven't watched the finale because I just don't like these people and didn't care who won. So if I'm missing something, I'm sorry and admit I'm kind of ignorant here. I just looked it up this morning for some closure and to see if OTT appealed to me (it doesn't).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR
Michelle is doing a Reddit AMA later tonight, in case anyone missed watching her meltdown in real time.

http://twitter.com/BBReddit/status/780807822913134592

• Locked thread