Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Absolute Lithops
Aug 28, 2011

After one long season
of waiting, after one
long season of wanting

Polish Avenger posted:

I have written exactly one undergrad paper on second language acquisition and I didn't find any support for that. Everything I read said that human babies get a free one. We have a language acquisition stage while we are babies and during it we can pickup one language voraciously quick. If we are in a bilingual household, we might pick up parts of both language but our brain will try to resolve it into one language, so spanglish instead of English and Spanish. If you miss language during this period, like several wild children have, you will never acquire language like your peers. The other cool thing is babies can differentiate between every spoken noise during this acquisition period. For instance, there is a "P" sound used in some languages that has no puff of air associated with it. "P" with and without the puff is significant and to an anglophone the difference is quite indistinguishable. Yet, they have run experiments that show that babies can differentiate it before they have locked into their language of choice, it's crazy poo poo.

While there is some advantage to starting children on their second language early and it was statistically significant, it's not altogether different or much faster than the way an adults learn a second language.

It was thought that a bilingual environment would result in kids speaking an incomplete combination of both languages (eg, spanglish instead of English and Spanish), but this actually isn't true. The notion was rooted in, among other things, a xenophobic bias against bilingual people, and a misunderstanding of code-switching and perhaps of creole languages as well. I don't know that much about childhood language acquisition. But, all things being equal, a child in a bilingual household would be simultaneously bilingual -- that is, they'd have two, simultaneously acquired, native languages. [e: The Wikipedia article on simultaneous bilingualism discusses the history of these beliefs.]

I think it's generally accepted that there's a critical period for language acquisition, but its length and significance are greatly disputed. It's hard to generalize from cases of of "feral children" who weren't exposed to language until puberty. (It's believed that the critical period would end by puberty or earlier.) Cases that have been confirmed and critically studied involve children who were severely abused and were/are neurologically disabled.

Absolute Lithops fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jun 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absolute Lithops
Aug 28, 2011

After one long season
of waiting, after one
long season of wanting

Polish Avenger posted:

For instance, there is a "P" sound used in some languages that has no puff of air associated with it. "P" with and without the puff is significant and to an anglophone the difference is quite indistinguishable. Yet, they have run experiments that show that babies can differentiate it before they have locked into their language of choice, it's crazy poo poo.

You've brought up a topic I really like: phonemes and allophones.

Most accents of English have two types of p sound: aspirated ph (with a puff of air written as superscript h), and unaspirated p (without the puff). English-language accents may have additional p sounds, but we'll focus on these two.

People who are monolingual in English have learned to perceive both types of p as the same sound, but only only if they occur in the right complementary distribution. Aspirated ph occurs at the beginning of words ("penned") and the beginning of stressed syllables ("append"), while unaspirated p occurs in all other positions ("spend," "stipend," "snap"). If you're a native speaker of English, try saying those words (penned, append, spend, stipend, snap) with your hand in front of your mouth. You'll feel the puff of air in the first two, but not in the last three.

Because they're perceived as the same p sound, [ph] and [p] are allophones of the phoneme /p/ in English. (It's standard to write allophones between [brackets] and phonemes between /slashes/). But this only works when they're in the expected distribution. When monolingual English speakers hear [p] at the beginning of a word or stressed syllable, it's usually perceived as a b!

Absolute Lithops fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 24, 2016

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
What's with Chicken in a Biscuit? You know, the brand of crackers?

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Pvt.Scott posted:

What's with Chicken in a Biscuit? You know, the brand of crackers?

they taste good

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

vols bitch posted:

they taste good

Oh. Thanks.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Pvt.Scott posted:

Oh. Thanks.

there is no chicken in the biscuit though and theyre not biscuits so it seems like false advertising

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Absolute Lithops posted:

If you're a native speaker of English, try saying those words (penned, append, spend, stipend, snap) with your hand in front of your mouth. You'll feel the puff of air in the first two, but not in the last three.

Speaking only for myself, but I feel a puff of air from all five words.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

vols bitch posted:

there is no chicken in the biscuit though and theyre not biscuits so it seems like false advertising

They are coated with bouillon powder so there is chicken on the biscuit

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jun 24, 2016

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Schwarzwald posted:

Same

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Mange Mite posted:

They are coated with bullion powder so there is chicken on the biscuit

do not believe these gypsy lies

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

I don't know if it's just my dialect (I grew up around southern Ohio in the US) but the "pen" sound in the first four words is all but identical, and snap almost has an extra fraction of a syllable specifically because it is aspirated.

Absolute Lithops
Aug 28, 2011

After one long season
of waiting, after one
long season of wanting

Mange Mite posted:

Schwarzwald posted:

Same
It's a bigger puff of air for the aspirated p's. I should've been more specific.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
It's a bigger puff of air for the aspirated p's. I should've been more specific.
[/quote]

Actually i think stipend has the biggest puff since it's longer

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

vols bitch posted:

do not believe these gypsy lies

Ingredients: UNBLEACHED ENRICHED FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMINE MONONITRATE {VITAMIN B1}, RIBOFLAVIN {VITAMIN B2}, FOLIC ACID), SOYBEAN OIL, SUGAR, SALT, DEXTROSE, MONOSODIUM GLUTAMATE, ONION POWDER, SOY LECITHIN, BAKING SODA, DEHYDRATED COOKED CHICKEN, HYDROLYZED CORN AND YEAST PROTEIN, SPICE EXTRACTIVES (INCLUDES CELERY SEED OIL), DISODIUM INOSINATE AND DISODIUM GUANYLATE (FLAVOR ENHANCERS). CONTAINS: WHEAT, SOY.

Also note that nabisco was clever enough to call it "biskit" not biscuit

Of course what kind of madman thought about drying chicken, then grinding it into a powder and mixing it into a ceacker i have no idea. Was it one of those foods where they start with the name then make the dish?

Bonus: nabisco = national biscuit company

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
I just got served

Absolute Lithops
Aug 28, 2011

After one long season
of waiting, after one
long season of wanting

Mange Mite posted:

Actually i think stipend has the biggest puff since it's longer
Well the sounds are produced by exhaling, so there's going to be a more or less forceful air flow for each of them. Try "pa" and "spa." Or try saying the p in "pa" as though there were an s in front of it.

Absolute Lithops fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jun 24, 2016

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

vols bitch posted:

I just got served

Im sorry i didnt mean it that way i just wanted to entertain you, like i do with my angry war vet grandpa

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Absolute Lithops posted:

Well the sounds are produced by exhaling, so there's going to be a more or less forceful air flow for each of them. Try "pa" and "spa." Or try saying the p in "pa" as though there were an s in front of it.

You said bigger not more forceful

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

vols bitch posted:

I just got served

I'd really enjoy being served a bowl of chicken crackers right about now

Absolute Lithops
Aug 28, 2011

After one long season
of waiting, after one
long season of wanting
"Bigger" is a polysemous (Greek: many semen) word

naem
May 29, 2011

satanic splash-back posted:

Grimm's Law is a waste of a good last name, considering the word "Grim" comes from Grimm's name and tone/mood of his stories.

Germans: still spooky

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Phonetics are radical click subscribe if you agree.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Hulkamania

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

"Balls to the wall" is from fighter pilots pushing their (ball-headed) throttles all the way forward until they nearly touched the walls of the cockpit

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

kaschei posted:

"Balls to the wall" is from fighter pilots pushing their (ball-headed) throttles all the way forward until they nearly touched the walls of the cockpit

Also cocks.

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
helicopter is often abbreviated to heli or copter, but it comes from helico - pter (spiral - wing) so the P should really be silent, just as it is in pterodactyl

logical fallacy
Mar 16, 2001

Dynamic Symmetry
Why is it "Toronja" in Spanish, "Pamplemousse" in French, and "Grapefruit" in English?

I can understand how naranja and toronja (and orange) must share common origin, but grape + fruit = grapefruit? And who ever knows what the French are thinking with their language.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

logical fallacy posted:

Why is it "Toronja" in Spanish, "Pamplemousse" in French, and "Grapefruit" in English?

I can understand how naranja and toronja (and orange) must share common origin, but grape + fruit = grapefruit? And who ever knows what the French are thinking with their language.

is pompelmo in italian so that matches french at least

edit: also theres a similar fruit called a pomelo

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

horrible, terrible, horrific

but "terrific" started to mean something totally different at what point exactly

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

im gaye posted:

but "terrific" started to mean something totally different at what point exactly

About the time some teenagers started using it that way as slang? Parents ken not.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

im gaye posted:

quote:

Weakened sensed of "very great, severe" (as in terrific headache) appeared 1809; inverted colloquial sense of "excellent" began 1888.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

im gaye posted:

compare also: awful, awesome

• Locked thread