Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Anne Andrews the Veteran
Blood-1 Heart 1 Mind 2 Spirit 0
Harm 0 / 00 / 00 Corruption 0/5 Mortal 2 Night Power Wild

I take a moment to check my messages while some very interesting computer numbers count up. Looks like Kifah replied and...she did what? Oh my God. If I wasn't already dying the grey out of my hair I'd have to start. I make coffee and send messages back:

quote:

please use your words, i dont have time to run a decrypt on every text. presume 'nbd' means you got out with all your blood in place? if you are going to insist on using your head we need to meet up before the party so i can fit you out with a helmet or at least arrange to have asprin on hand

quote:

smile emoji

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

The Garriock
Blood -1 | Heart 1 | Mind 0 | Spirit 2
Mortality 0 | Night 0 | Power 1 | Wild 1
Harm: 0/5 Corruption: 3/5

A wise Wazir, to whet one's tongue for vengeance. A wise Wazir, to observe their place o'the board. Held back in reserve, to dispense their knowledge. A wise Wazir, walking the Wheel.

"The wheel has come full circle," croaked the Garriock as their flittering wings faded into pretty arms and shanks. "I am here."

The cold faded away from the Garriock's heart as it filled with fury again, apace. A traitor. A changeling (o irony!) i'the Apple Court, a fae? Fie! A fa(k)e more like!

"Cuckoo; Cuckoo, cuckoo: O, word of fear!" hissed the Garriock as they gathered themselves and made their way to the dry land. Apples require water, 'tis true, but brine is no friend of the growing tree. Dry land is what is required; to mend broken roots, to gather the branches a-torn by the past storm.

And to prune that which was rotten and corrupt.

It was then that the Garriock became aware of the Serpents.

"Ho brothers, hail and well met!" cried the Garriock in courtly voice. "'Tis I, the Garriock, the innocent flower, and thou the serpent under't! I am Jack of the unfortunate Apple Court, and of long time, the join'd past of serpents and apple trees are well known. I am no enemy of thine, and nor thee of mine!"

quote:

SidekickBOT - Today at 9:36 PM
@Vulpes Vulpes: 2d6+1 = (3+5)+1 = 9
Create an opportunity
confuse them for some time

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Oct 31, 2016

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Blood +0 Heart -1 Mind +1 Spirit +3
Mortal1 Night -1 Wild 2 Power 0
Harm: 0/5 Corruption: 0/5 Armor: 0 Foretelling: 1

"You are loving weird," I tell the old white agent who mentioned his bionic penis, and, shutting him out of my sight, I turn to the other one, the hip black guy. "Okay, here's the deal; believe it or not, I'm on your side, more or less. I'm a taxpayer, same as you. I'm an American citizen. That doesn't mean I'm ever going to get in one of your black vans, but it does mean that I don't want to see regular people die. And after the clusterfuck that was my last attempt to warn everyone about the end of the world, I thought it might be a good idea this time to plan ahead. That's where you come in." I reach into the knapsack and pull out a disposable cellular phone, still sealed in its bubble pack, like can be purchased for cash from any 7/11. I toss it at the agent's feet.

"See, the problem with being a bona fide prophet of the Lord Our God in two thousand and sixteen is that nobody believes a word you say. Because that's the sort of poo poo any schizophrenic will spill in your ear for the price of a cup of coffee. But the way I see it is, you're the government. You already know that I'm a... what did you call me? An X-threat? Does that stand for Existential, because that' be really loving cool? You probably have a whole binder on my life, full of press clippings and NSA wiretap transcripts. So if i tell you that the end of days is nigh, or that a giant worm is about to rise up and devour Cleveland, you have to take me seriously. Because you're the government and that's what you get paid to do. So the deal is this; I'm the only person in the world who knows that phone number. Keep it charged up. If I get a vision of a new world-ending threat, I'll call that number and give you fair warning, and you can do... whatever the gently caress it is you do. gently caress poo poo up. And also minimize civilian casualties, hopefully."

Then I take a folded piece of paper out of my pocket and hold it out. "And this is because I thought you might doubt my bona fides. That's the address of a section of segment of the flooded undercity that's currently crawling with... X-Threats.. or whatever. There's some heinous poo poo down there. Do with it what you will, but if you go, take flamethrowers."

I lean on the bow like it's a walking stick. "Do we have an understanding? You stay off my back, and I'll be your supernatural informant. And hopefully, we can save this city from any more grief."

There. That ought to satisfy War's bloodlust while serving my larger ends. If I could point the government at Ithereal like a cruise missile... actually, they might use real cruise missiles. Huh.

Mislead and Distract: 2d6+1 9 Create an opportunity and Confuse them for some time

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Maxine Wei

Jamaial shrugs, "there's always military equipment at aid camps, in case there's a riot or whatever. Don't want anyone stealing the poo poo, and sometimes people need to be forcefully removed. National guard has a lot of toys they never get to use, but they at least bring them in. I can call some of my old friends in the military and see if they're moving anything special up here."

Ashley Winston

The cool black one nods and gives a thumbs up while the white one continues to frown at you, "this is... acceptable. Though we find the presence of all four horsemen in the city disturbing. We would prefer if one or more of you removed yourselves."

What do you do?

---
The Garriock

Three sensuous snake people emerge from the water, one in front with a red and white scale pattern speaks "you call us friend? Let us get a sniff of you... Yes, yes, you smell of sweetened sunshine. You belong to the Summer Court? To the tricksters and the hedonists? To things of life and movement? You have work, yes? We must keep the Wizards from rebuilding the wards. Come and speak to the Great One Below. He will tell you much of what must be done."

The other nods along, but the one in the back, green and blue, frowns at the other two and looks at you sideways.

What do you do?

---
Kifah Graham

You find yourself standing outside the steel door of a bunker and hammering on the little buzzer. Finally you get a static-laced answer: "Go away! I'm not taking visitors. This door doesn't open for another 3 months at least!"

So there you are, standing in the rain.

What do you do?

---
Anne Andrews

"They opened a lovely restaurant over the Mcdonalds. The McDs is closed and no one comes down here since the loving government told people not to come down here, but those guys are still going to work. Seems a bit shady if you ask me."

You take a look at the cameras. The real problem is the grave robing wizard didn't spring for a battery backup. If the camera wasn't running it wasn't running, and there won't be any images at all. But there probably weren't a lot of people out on the night of the incident, this neighborhood was evacuated. If you can get any camera that picked up people walking on these watery streets last night you might have your culprits. There's a catholic homeless shelter a few places down. They tend to have pretty intense security, maybe even outward facing cameras with battery backups.

You'll need the help of the homeless shelter

What do you do?

---
Cassie

You follow your nose, and it doesn't lead you astray. Government people never account for the distinctive smell of their poo poo, maybe it's just because most human noses don't work worth a drat. You track the stench of new electronics and explosives to a bunch of sealed crates labeled "toiletries." Workers in orange volunteer vests are unloading them and making small talk. They're carrying the crates out into vans and trucks. Your keen instincts pick up the concealed weapons, their scars, calloused hands, and trained muscles. These "volunteers" are special forces.

What do you do?

---
Martin Beck

You drive over to the university FEMA camp. The insect thing folds itself into your trunk, and the green mound smashes itself into a coat of filth on the bottom of your nice car. These things live underground for a reason, if a normal person saw them they'd panic. If a group saw them you'd have a riot. Cassie isn't too hard to spot, since she's routinely bending over to sniff at the ground and following the trail, like a dog, to one of many groups of volunteers unloading relief supplies.

What do you do?

Mr. Prokosch fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Nov 1, 2016

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Ashley Winston

It takes a moment to sink in. Then I start losing my goddamned mind.

"Wait, Death's here? In Seattle? Here? When the gently caress did Death get here?!"

It's about that point that i realize that I've grabbed him by the collar and am screaming in his face. People are staring. Oh, poo poo. I hope there isn't actually a sniper.

Then again, I hoped I'd never be on the same tectonic plate as the fourth horseman.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Anne Andrews the Veteran

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOnQ8CD3v4g

The nice thing about Mother Church getting all squirrely when it comes to 'liability' and 'making sure their asses are covered' recently is they've had to do a bunch of very rushed modernizing. Priests and lay workers are all carrying smartphones networked in to their parish WLAN and frankly given the importance of things like the seal of the confessional you'd think they'd be better at, for example, not letting some unscrupulous individual like myself force-pair with an un-encrypted system and start rooting around in all their dirty laundry from across the road in my car. I'm hoping for easy access to the security footage, but I'll take what I can get here.

Investigate a Place of Power (Mortality): 2d6+2 9

I can see past the surface to the reality of this place. Marking Mortality

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Kifah Graham, the Aware
Blood 0, Heart 1, Mind 1, Spirit 0
Mortality 1, Night 0, Power 2[x], Wild -1
Harm 0/5 Corruption 0/5

"Miss R? Miss R, it's me, Kifah. Remember, Chirstopher's employee? What happened that's so awful that you'd leave someone as pleasant as me out here? You can't see it, but I'm doing my very best kitty cat eyes. They're like puppy dog eyes, but even more adorable."
Kifah actually produces the expression, so exaggerated it's comical more than anything, just in case the wizard actually can see her, by looking at her via divination (or maybe just a mundane camera).

The raspy voice coming from the loudspeaker doesn't share her jolly attitude. "How do I know your eyes are your eyes and your voice is your voice? I don't share news with face stealers."

Kifah sighs in frustration. She really doesn't want to stay outside, exposed to both rain and heavenly wrath, any longer than she needs to.

"Okay, look, I can see that you're worried about these face-stealging sonobitches. That's fair, not wanting them into your secret santum. But c'mon, lady, I could really use somewhere to lay low for a while, and you've got the safest, most screened, most awesome vault in the city. If I let you do whatever test you need to do to make sure that I'm really me, will you let me crash on your couch until the ceremony? Just... maybe avoid the invasive stuff. Pretty please?"

I rolled a 7, so she gets to either modify the terms or ask for a Debt.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

The Garriock

The Garriock grinned a bright white apple-slice grin.

"Aye, work. For my work lies to my Queen, as yours does your Great One Below. Let not your Great One belie my purpose, as I'd think naught of doing the same to you, cousins! Like you, I am filled with the gall to make oppression bitter. And like you, from that torment I will free myself, hew my way out with a bloody axe. Why, I can smile, and murder whiles I smile!"

The Garriock inclined their head, and held out both hands, one be-ring'd with cruel iron.

"Lead on, MacDuff," they intoned. The misquote made them flinch.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!
Maxine Wei
Harm 0 00 00 - Corruption 3/5 - Mortal Night(x) Power Wild(x)

"Are we asking or taking? A little bit of both? Or do we not have a plan yet on how to get them out?" I look blankly over at Jamail. Then again, I look blankly at everyone right now. And Ashley didn't even want to talk about putting this back in the bottle. Huh. Things are still heating up, it seems.

"You got a team, too? Helping with carrying and whatever?"

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Maxine Wei

"A little bit of both. The army isn't going to sell us its guns at any price. But they've always had a weak link with the independent contractors and the dissatisfied grunts. I can throw some of our money around and get some information and a few people to look the other way. We can pick up what we need tonight."

You spend a few hours coming up with a plan:
1. Steal military vehicle and arms, dress like a US strike force to throw off witnesses
2. Send some of your people to the party to make sure you're not hitting a decoy
3. Run down the White King after his party. Break his car, kill his bodyguards, light him the gently caress up until he stops moving.
4. Give him a death fit for a vampire lord to be sure: Stake the heart, burn the organs, divide the head into four pieces and pack each in sacred soil for delivery
5. Meet up with Zhang's contacts and arrange payment

By the time you're done with the prep work, it's time to pick up the vehicle.

Roll Keep your Cool to see how smooth the exchange will be

---
Cassie

You wait and watch the special forces dudes. Mostly the trucks with military hardware are all heading towards some kind of staging ground at the university. But a heavy duty riot truck is being stuffed, and it looks like it's heading west, towards your territory.

What do you do?

---
The Garriock

Deep and down you go. The sea is no friend of yours. Cold, and dark, a cloak of winter strangling the red hot lifeblood of the earth. Down, down, your strength stripped from you at every foot. In the depths you hear a song, and your mind dances. Yes, yes. You understand. Yes. The Things Below do not speak, they demand. They do not bargain, they control. The Leviathan sees its chance in the breaking of the world. Time is an illusion and you no longer partake. You are on the surface now, thoughts and self cloudy. You recall a piece of paper, shoved into your raiment. You unfold it:

You are not you. We are not us. Martin can help.

Yes. That's what you're supposed to do. Martin. A deal struck in the hole where your memories fled. A promise made. Vengeance for service. And how convenient, he seems to be sitting in front of you. Along with a lady in a Hijab, a fat trucker, and a Japanese woman.

---
Anne Andrews

The church has been busy. Looks like this homeless shelter is going the extra mile to help their refugees. Their ravings are being recorded by the social workers at the request of a Father Matthews. Looks like any mention of attacks or monsters are being highlighted and they've been setting up hidden cameras at what they believe are feeding spots. From what you can tell, they're unwittingly identifying the front of this little war and then shooting soldiers on both sides. Their infosec is awful, it feels like a low-level, independent operation.

What do you do?

---
Kifah Graham

You hear a long sigh, "Fine. Fine. You want to prove you're a person I'm going to need to see that you have real bones inside before I open the door. Not teeth either. Show me the bones and you can come in."

What do you do?

---
Ashley Winston

"Hold your fire!" Looks like there was a sniper, but they didn't take a shot. Probably because it's not clean after you tackled the agent, "He flew in with the other horseman! We caught them on the airport security cameras. We put someone on tracking down their current location."

What do you do?

---
Martin Beck

A strange Fae that stares at you blankly. The Naagloshi in his latest skin. A representative from your friends across the ocean. Arachne's long lost sister. Your bodyguards in the underground still hidden in the car, along with a special surprise in your pocket. Your forces are gathered.

What do you do?

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!
Maxine Wei
Harm 0 00 00 - Corruption 3/5 - Mortal Night(x) Power Wild(x)

"Just get what we can. We should have enough manpower that we don't need anything too special. Keep it simple."

TLB - Maxine - Today at 12:34 PM
/roll 2d6-1
SidekickBOT - Today at 12:34 PM
@TLB - Maxine: 2d6-1 = (2+3)-1 = 4
Not cool.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Cassie the Wolf
Stats: Blood 3, Heart -1, Mind 0, Spirit 1
Factions: Mortality 0, Night 2, Power -1, Wild 1
Harm: 0/5 Corruption: 3/5 Armor: 0

Well, Martin's no help, and it looks like a whole lot of those weapons are headed over to my neck of the woods.

That's... a mixed blessing all right.

I hurry back to my bike and follow, waiting for Melinda to notice that, oh yeah, there's a freakin' riot truck lumbering down the road.. Once she does, I gesture to her to follow me. I want to see where its going before I take it.

I also send Janus a text, saying:

quote:

sooooo lets say that I got my hands on a riot truck filled with goodies
would you have a suggestion of where youd want to take it off my hands and off the street
cause its gonna look a little out of placed parked around outside the park next to my bike

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Anne Andrews the Veteran

quote:

Father Matthews

There's a name I haven't heard since-

Old Friends, Old Favors: 2d6+2 7

He will offer aid and comfort, but I owe him a debt

-he dragged me out of that dumpster behind St Bridget's and pulled a .38 slug out of my back on his kitchen table without asking questions. He's a good guy, this vigilante gang thing seems out of character but these are strange times. I get out of the car and go in through the front door. There's the usual assortment of down-and-out sorts, but they all seem more confident than usual. Guess you see a few monsters and the thought of someone maybe being a cop is less frightening. There's a clean-cut college kid on what passes for a reception desk and I take of my sunglasses (prescription, if I'm being honest) and smile at him.

"Afternoon, friend. I'm looking for Father Matthews, he hasn't been answering his phone and the parish office said I might find him down here. Could you let him know Anne Andrews needs to talk? It's kind of urgent."

I don't think I'm really persuading or tricking here?

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

The Garriock

The Garriock blinked their eyes, then vomited a thin stream of bile, seawater and apple seeds to the, thankfully solid, earth beneath their feet. Fumbling in the pocket of their coat, they found their sunglasses and placed them on their face.

"Martin. I count myself in nothing else so happy as in a soul remembering my good friends."

The Garriock coughed again, then leaned over and vomited up more seawater. They straightened, wiping tears from beneath their shades, the vicissitudes of the serpents a bleary cloud o'the mind. "The art of our necessities is strange that can make vile things precious. How sharper than a serpent's tooth; how sharper! Most savage and unnatural! Oft have I heard that grief softens the mind, and makes it fearful and degenerate; I think therefore on revenge and cease to weep."

The Garriock held out their hand, iron manacle and all.

"Here’s earnest of my service."

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Nov 19, 2016

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Ashley Winston

I gingerly let go of the agent's collar and step back, careful to keep my hands in sight. gently caress. gently caress. "Sorry," i say. "Sorry. But this changes things. The Destroyer of Worlds is in town." Famine, War, and Conquest are human things; you can wear the Mantle and stay mostly sane. But to be the living personification of Death... It makes Saw look like Hotel Transylvania.

I think furiously. Jessie told me about War, but not about Death, but the feds think they all arrived together. Now, why would dear sister keep things back from me unless she was planning on pulling something? Probably tonight, at the party, because she loves drama like that. She gets off on it. gently caress!

"Listen," I tell the feds, stepping back and retrieving my bow and bag. "Remember what I told you, and that I'm not your enemy. I'm going to go... get ready to face Death... I guess." Then i turn and run, and hope the sniper isn't feeling jumpy.

I text Marconi on the way, letting him know who else is in town as a courtesy, and then find my bike and peel out. I can't walk into this party with just my normal gear like i was planning: I need an edge. Preferrably weapon capable of making Death take a step back. And that means something divine, which means the church.

I head towards Father Matthew. Hope he's not mad about hoe things turned out last time.

Hit the Streets: SidekickBOT - Today at 2:30 PM OKShark (Ashley): 2d6+1 = (5+6)+1 = 12

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Martin Beck

Martin squinted down at the proferred hand. Fae were tricky, he knew from his knife edge negotiations with the Goblin King. But this Fae was hear in fulfillment of a debt so he could only hope that he could trust that this one was on his side. Regardless he shook on it.

"Well my Fae friend you are now part of a heist to save a wrongly imprisoned force of nature. Her name is Ashley Winston and she is a horseman of the Apocalypse and she has reason to believe he is going to wipe out reality. However I've talked with it and it doesn't seem that keen on burning our little chess game and is more interested in kicking the pieces off so we can start over. I need that help because I'm in personal bondage to the most powerful mage on this part of the planet and the only one with the chops to square up to him is our Void friend."

He nods at each of the members in the car.

"Now I haven't told you the plan because the way with fate is that as soon as it crystalises to something more firm than the infinite potential of chaos it allows people with the means the chance to look over your plans. If you'll give me a moment I will try and stop our plans from being rumbled."

Martin closes his eyes for a moment. When he opens them again they are golden. He begins chanting in tongues and the dull innards of the vehicle begin to seem palatial. The roof seems like it is made of gold while the floor becomes azure. The walls encasing them turn into marble and the windows become diamond.

"Ok, now our discussion should be twisted beyond any fortune tellers ability to read. We are near her base, formerly the fortress where our client was imprisoned. Our Japanese friend will obfuscate us so that we can approach without upsetting the refugees, FEMA or the armed special forces. The skinshifter will crack the wards allowing us entry to the fortress. Our underground friends are equipped with better senses and much experience of trapped mazes so they should be able to get us to Null. From their we should all be able to work on getting the door open. Gorgon and Fae, you are free agents able to respond to whatever comes our way, I understand that Gorgon's sister has also been imprisoned so I don't know if she is enslaved to oppose us but be aware. As for the horseman. Please try not to kill her. If she comes at you with lethal force you can respond in kind but I believe she thinks she's doing the right thing keeping Null locked up. Unfortunately the only way to prove her wrong is to set him free. If we're fortunate we'll set him free before she notices and then we can leave this nasty business behind us. If not then I vote that we set him free and see if he shakes things up. I know choosing Smith can't be the right option for the world. I've seen inside his head. If there's no questions let's go.

"Let it go" to interfere with Ashley's scrying.
Scramble: 2d6+3 13
Choose extend senses and take +1 forward

Trick to interfere with Ashley's scrying
Scramble 2: 2d6+3 9
Choose confuse them for some time and you create an opportunity

Then a bit of talk with Mr Prokosch about how I would go about setting Null free:

Actually, we already had one heist/assault in the game so I can just re-use that system. You have an assist for each debt you spent. Spend assists to remove obstacles, delay, or distract opposition. Even without Ashley, I would not expect the Ninja and the Skinwalker to break through without help. It's not like he got through the front door of GGS without someone spotting him, and GGS was already under attack at the time.
To summarize your obstacles:
There's a FEMA camp on top of the thing
There are top tier wards around it
The building is a trapped maze
There's one hell of a door in the vault

My response:

There's a FEMA camp on top of the thing (Ninja obfuscates)
There are top tier wards (skinshifter cracks them)
The building is a trapped maze (The underground monsters were probably born in a worse trapped maze)
There's one hell of a door in the vault (I used my second underground debt too so hopefully something that can open the door)

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Kifah Graham, the Aware
Mortality 1[x], Night 0, Power 2[x], Wild -1
Harm 0/5 Corruption 0/5

'Oh gently caress me, how am I supposed to show her my bones? I'd need an X-Ray machine, or... urgh, or a knife, I guess, to cut myself open for her to peruse, like the frogs back in high school.'
Kifah looks at her cellphone's clock. How long is it going to take to get one or the other?... does she have the guts to rip herself open for the benefit of a woman who lives in a bunker?

'No, you know what, screw that noise. I'm checking in on Father Matthew; he's a priest, he'll know what to do with angels.'

Kifah leaves without even telling Miss K. Let her stick to the buzzer waiting for an answer, she can rot in her bunker for all the young woman cares. She gets into her car and speed away, directed at the Father's chapel.

Hitting the street with Mortality nets me a 6. I still get to mark Mortality, at least.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

The Garriock

"The Garriock has a name, Martin," quoth the Garriock mildly.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Martin Beck

Martin shakes his head in an effort to snap out of whatever was causing him to be sloppy.

"Sorry Garriock. didn't mean to offend."

Forgot that technically our characters know each other because of my debt to you and I didn't catch your name before now.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Cassie

Janus has a place to stash the stuff for the big party. You follow the truck and it does head straight for your territory, then just a little past it before parking in a shady alley waiting there is Maxine and some of her army buddies. They start to unload and your keen hearing picks up the driver say something to himself: "The Tax Man always collects." Then: BOOM!

You managed to duck around the corner and tuck into a ball, shielding yourself from harm. When you look again the alley is fire and carnage. The truck survives, along with the soldiers hunkering down inside, they break open the crates and arm themselves, looking to hunt down any survivors.

What do you do?

---
Maxine

Everything looked peachy. Crates of guns, explosives, and other nasty toys. A heavy duty truck that looked like it could plow through buildings. Everything coming up Maxine, as usual! So, a few of the crates were filled with C4, thermite, and frag mines. So they conveniently came armed and ready to use. No big deal. Until you hear the driver say "The Tax Man always collects." You can feel him press the button in his pocket, feel the signal waves in the air and the sizzle of the detonation. Your senses give you enough warning to save yourself, but not your men. You dive inside a dumpster and it shields you from the blast, maybe whiplash would have killed a mortal, but you're just jostled around a bit. Jamail is dead and with him a lot of your soldier's loyalty. You can sense the enemy in the trucks arming themselves, talking about confirming kills and executing survivors.

What do you do?

---
Ashley

You've kept up on Father Matthews. When most people were evacuating the disaster zone, he headed straight for it. He's holed up in an old homeless shelter, where he's using it to help those with no where else to go. The Knights have been running into the middle of skirmishes, attacking both sides, and extracting innocents caught in the crossfire. They've been heavily recruiting. Combatants on both sides are openly violating supernatural secrecy in the flooded zones and traumatizing what were once the peaceful yuppies and hipsters of Seattle into hardened holy warriors. Some people might see this trend as a positive, but this is some end-times crusader poo poo.

As you enter the shelter you get a confusing jumble of a vision. Hyper-realistic images mixed with dream metaphors. Black suits and Shadows assaulting your bunker. Fire and explosions and waves of green. Blood dripping from the walls. Cassie, elsewhere, in a firefight. Your sister laughing. Those symbols of corruption. The Dead Queen on a throne of bones picked clean. It's the most bullshit vision you've ever had.

You come back to the present in time to hear Anne Andrews (do you know her?) trying to finnagle a meeting with Father Matthews. The man at the ramshackle front desk is typing boredly when he looks up, sees you, double checks something on the computer, and frowns. "You with her?" he says to Ann.

---
Ann Andrews

Ashley Winston, horsewoman of the apocalypse and alcoholic, walks in, stumbles a bit, curses, and straightens up again. The receptionist asks if you're together.

What do you do?

---
Martin Beck & The Garriock

When is the Jail break going to happen relative to the party tonight? Options are before, during, or after. Martin is expected to show up at the thing, and I'm going to say it's about three hours until it starts. Ashley's base is about an hour travel time each way (30 minutes for her).

---
Kifah Graham

You head to the old church north of town, last you heard Matthews was based there. You stroll inside, and the doors close and lock behind you. poo poo. You spot a young boy sitting on one of the pews.

"Hello, Kifah. I knew you would come. Sometimes I see things, and they are sometimes true. Mostly, I see Death. It is always true."

Someone steps out of nowhere and firmly grabs hold of your shoulder. He is a handsome man, without the slightest expression on his face. Another thing grabs hold of the other shoulder. A skeletal arm emerging from a dark, obscuring cloak.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Anne Andrews the Veteran

poo poo. poo poo poo poo poo poo. This is the person that FARGATE wanted info on - the Horseman. I knew it sounded familiar but I didn't connect the dots to Ashley. She's been feeding me intel for a while - really good intel, without any conventional means of getting it. I don't know how close Matthews is to the Feds - probably not very, but I figure they must have people in his organization. Denying everything will look extra suspicious and if Ashley decides to make a scene I'm never getting to Matthews. So, I lie my rear end off:

"Yeah, we're here for the same thing. And if you know her, then you know how loving serious this is. Isn't that right, Ms. Winston?"

Mislead, Distract, or Trick: 2d6+2 7
  • Creating an opportunity
  • Exposing a Weakness

I look at her with my best 'play along' expression.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Kifah Graham, the Aware
Mortality 1, Night 0, Power 2, Wild -1
Harm 0/5 Corruption 1/5

On her right stands Charon, one of the myriad gods of death that walk the globe. Not on the same level of, say, Yama or Hel, but way more of a big shot than your typical street god.
On her left stands Azrael, the guy responsible for killing every Egyptian firstborn back in Biblical times, and more recently the extermination of Seattle's godly population.
In front of her stands the freakin' Horseman of Death in the form of a creepy child straight out of a horror movie.

Kifah does not allow herself to panic. 'Do not give them what they want.' she thinks. 'This is a display of force. They want you scared and helpless before their might. Do not let them get in your head, girl.'

So the mortal crouches down to the eye level of the apocalyptic incarnation of the end of all things to look at him on eye level, completely ignoring the other two. She smiles, and answers in a friendly voice, like she imagines a supportive older sister would do after listening to her little brother has to say.

"Hi there, Deathy. So you had a vision about me, uh? Want to share what it was about?"

@Kifah - PXGentleman: 2d6 = (3+4) = 7
I'll take one corruption to impress, frighten or intimidate the opposition. I imagine it'll be the first one.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Nov 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Ashley Winston

I stagger a little as I enter Father Matthews'... office? Cell? Lair? Whatever you call the place where a priest goes when he's not being priestly. The vision is hard to shake off, and all I get from it is that things are about to get much worse, and that there's a threat to my bunker. So that's fun. To the rest of the inhabitants of this war zone/homeless shelter, it probably just looks like I'm a reeling blackout drunk.

So I fit right in.

Anne's there, which is... not the best sign. Don't get me wrong, I respect her professionally. She's a lot like me, without the supernatural edge, or the crippling personal liabilities. She's also stolen a lot of my business over the years, but, yeah, that's okay. Detectives are a lot more reliable than oracles when you need definite answers. And she's clearly here to play some kind of angle, and wants me to play along. Well, I have no idea what she's talking about, but if she wants me to up the stakes, that was something I was planning on doing anyway.

"Death is in town," I tell the priest. "Along with War and Famine. Doesn't get much more serious than that."

• Locked thread