Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Problem description: So a little while ago, I wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary on my PC when the monitor just started cutting to a black screen and then back to the windows I had open. This would happen every couple of seconds, and I couldn't do anything on my PC so I turned it off. When I tried to power it back on, it wouldn't come on. The green light on my motherboard and the light on my GPU were on, so I figured there was power being supplied to the PC, but when I tried to power it on, it didn't even attempt to boot up.

Attempted fixes: I thought there might be a problem with the UPS that my PSU is plugged into, so I unplugged it from the UPS, plugged it into a different outlet on the UPS, tried to power the PC on and it came on. When it came on, it told me to enter setup to recover my BIOS settings. It didn't say there was anything wrong with the hardware or that it was missing an operating system or anything, so I went into my UEFI setup, hit Save & Quit and it restarted like normal. Now I'm using it with no problem. It's not cutting to a black screen anymore.

Now I'm wondering, is my PSU dying? I don't think it's a problem with my UPS, since I have other devices plugged into it and they all seem to be operating just fine. The PSU seems like the most logical cause of the issue here to me, but it's less than 2 years old along with all the other hardware components in my PC.

Recent changes: Hadn't done anything different with my PC when this happened. I hadn't physically moved it or installed any new hardware recently or anything like that.

Operating system: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit

System specs:
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX (mini-ITX)
CPU: Intel Core i5 4670k @ 3.40GHz (Socket LGA1150)
CPU Cooler: Silverstone AR06
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 Gaming 4G Golden Edition
HDD: Toshiba 5TB 7200RPM
Monitor: Acer G257HU 25” IPS (2560x1440)
Motherboard: ASUS Z97i-PLUS (mITX) (Socket LGA1150)
PSU: Seasonic X650 Gold Modular Power Supply
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB (2x8GB) Dual-Channel DDR3 1600 (9-9-9-24)
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB
UPS: CyberPower CP1000PFCLCD 1000VA 600W

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Anyone have any ideas what this could be? Help please :( I'd really appreciate it! Thanks in advance!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

If it just happened once it could be a fluke and nothing to worry about. Probably not a UPS issue. Usually when a surge protector or UPS goes bad they explode/start smoking in a very obvious way.

It could be a PSU issue. A computer that has trouble turning on like that can be a sign of a failing PSU.

Two easy things to do in the short-term:

Make sure you're using the latest video card drivers.

Run the portable zip edition of CDI to check HD health:
http://crystalmark.info/download/index-e.html

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Zogo posted:

If it just happened once it could be a fluke and nothing to worry about. Probably not a UPS issue. Usually when a surge protector or UPS goes bad they explode/start smoking in a very obvious way.

It could be a PSU issue. A computer that has trouble turning on like that can be a sign of a failing PSU.

Two easy things to do in the short-term:

Make sure you're using the latest video card drivers.

Run the portable zip edition of CDI to check HD health:
http://crystalmark.info/download/index-e.html
Thanks! I was going to mention that I'd run CDI on both my drives and that they're both in good health, but I didn't think it was an issue with my SSD or hard drive, so I didn't include that in the OP.

Also, I am running the latest GeForce driver (368.39).

• Locked thread