Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

In March 1987 a private detective Daniel Morgan was found dead in a South London pub carpark. He had been hacked to death with an axe. It emerged that he had been involved in selling stories to the press and had contact with police officers. Shortly before his death he planned to expose police corruption. His death was ruled by a coroner's inquest to be unlawful killing. The prime suspect was Morgan's business partner Jon Rees. There was tension between the two over a robbery. Rees had been robbed while transporting money and he wanted Morgan to help him out repaying the money. Morgan did not think it was partnership business and distrusted Rees. Rees and Morgan were drinking in the pub on the night of the murder.

Although Rees and his poiice friend Detective Sid Fillery were questioned the police declined to press charges despite the mountain of evidence presented at the inquest. Stories appeared in the press, some apparently planted by Rees/Fillery, showed Morgan in a bad light and threw up a welter of bizarre leads: Morgan had been killed by white supremacists, drug dealers or had been involved in a romantic affair and killed by a jealous lover. it emerged that Rees and Morgan shared a lover....who now lives with Rees. The lover refused to give clear testimony at the coroner's inquest and seemed by witnesses to have been pressured.

This is only the beginning of a story of the most investigated murder in British legal history. It involves murder, apparent suicide, drug running, police corruption, sleazy journalism, official incompetence and phone hacking....

:britain:

Listen to the series of excellent new podcasts here (weekly):
http://www.untoldmurder.com/the-story/

And read about it here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Morgan_(private_investigator)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

If you like true crime, mixed in with potentially staggering amounts of corruption, this is a great podcast to listen to.

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes
The pub where it happened is about two streets away from my place. The whole area is completely different to how it's described being at the time of the murder, except the pub is still shady as gently caress.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
drat, once I started listening I couldn't stop. Listened to all of it (thus far) in one sitting. Gripping stuff.

Y'all might also want to check out the Bowraville podcast. It's about the murders of three Aboriginal children in a small Australian village in 1990. Pretty similar in style.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Glad to get this good feedback. Pleased that you guys are enjoying it.

There is an interesting review which appeared in The Observer (Guardian): https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2016/jun/26/week-in-radio-untold-daniel-morgan-murder-reply-all-on-the-inside

What do you guys think of the criticisms?

• Locked thread