Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Horyd
Jul 17, 2001

REDHEADS WILL BE MY DOWNFALL!
From michiganradio.org:

quote:

Michigan Supreme Court: Cops can't be prosecuted for false statements

Michigan police officers can never be criminally prosecuted for statements they are compelled to make during internal investigations — even if those statements turn out to be lies that amount to perjury or another crime.

That’s what the Michigan Supreme Court decided this week, in the case of three Detroit officers charged with obstructing justice. Officer Nevin Hughes was accused of assaulting a Detroit motorist in the presence of two other officers, Sean Harris and William Little.

When the motorist filed a complaint, the officers had to testify for an internal investigation. All three denied the assault allegations. After a video recording surfaced to prove they had lied, they were charged with obstruction of justice. But the officers fought those charges, contending that a Michigan law — the Disclosures by Law Enforcement Officers Act — shields them from prosecution based solely on those statements, even if the statements were false. And this week, after a series of appeals, the Michigan Supreme Court agreed. The court ruled that any time an officer is compelled to speak and their job is at stake, those statements can’t be used against them in any criminal proceeding.

“Simply stated, the DLEOA bars the use in a subsequent criminal proceeding of all information provided by a law enforcement officer under threat of any employment sanction,” the court majority wrote. “The plain language of the DLEOA protects all statements given by officers under compulsion.”

The court noted that the law probably wasn’t meant to protect officers who commit perjury or obstruct justice — but in effect, that’s what it does.

“While we may question the Legislature’s decision to offer such unqualified protections, we are obligated to respect that decision and interpret the statute in accordance with its plain language,” the court majority wrote.

The court ordered the obstruction charges against Hughes, Harris, and Little be dropped.

“We are disappointed in the decision and urge the Legislature to permit a police officer’s lies to be used against him in a criminal prosecution,” Maria Miller, a spokeswoman for Wayne County prosecutor Kym Worthy, said via e-mail.

The full court opinion can be found here, and the text of the DLEOA can be found here.

Act 563 of 2006 posted:

Sec. 1.

As used in this act:

(a) "Involuntary statement" means information provided by a law enforcement officer, if compelled under threat of dismissal from employment or any other employment sanction, by the law enforcement agency that employs the law enforcement officer.

Sec. 3.

An involuntary statement made by a law enforcement officer, and any information derived from that involuntary statement, shall not be used against the law enforcement officer in a criminal proceeding.

Holy poo poo. I'm not sure what the intent was here (given that we already have a U.S. Supreme Court ruling that covers coerced statements, Garrity v. New Jersey, and the Garrity warning which is analogous to the Miranda warning), but this was written so broadly that it not only protects law enforcement who wish to remain silent during an internal affairs investigation but protects them if they lie under questioning. The court opinion indicates it would even protect them against outright perjury when making a sworn statement in a court of law.

It's a good day to be a bad cop in Michigan. Do something wrong? Lie about it to avoid the consequences. Get caught? No problem, you're immune because you would have lost your job if you hadn't lied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Mr. Horyd posted:

From michiganradio.org:

The full court opinion can be found here, and the text of the DLEOA can be found here.

Holy poo poo. I'm not sure what the intent was here (given that we already have a U.S. Supreme Court ruling that covers coerced statements, Garrity v. New Jersey, and the Garrity warning which is analogous to the Miranda warning), but this was written so broadly that it not only protects law enforcement who wish to remain silent during an internal affairs investigation but protects them if they lie under questioning. The court opinion indicates it would even protect them against outright perjury when making a sworn statement in a court of law.

It's a good day to be a bad cop in Michigan. Do something wrong? Lie about it to avoid the consequences. Get caught? No problem, you're immune because you would have lost your job if you hadn't lied.

For gently caress's sake. I was born in Florida, yet every state I move to manages to be worse than the last.

Edit: That's not fair. It's just Michigan, really.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
How is this not already the case that they are constitutionally protected from having to testify against themselves? Given that there is an incriminating video aren't they now subject to an ordinary set of charges for that crime (not perjury)?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
There would seem to be a pretty big difference between refusing to incriminate yourself and actively lying about your colleague assaulting someone.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Helsing posted:

There would seem to be a pretty big difference between refusing to incriminate yourself and actively lying about your colleague assaulting someone.

There is for most people but a cop is "on the clock" while at court testifying. I think it's a poo poo law and if my employee lied I would want to fire them, but these are some interesting details.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
is this a case of politicians taking care of their buddies or them just placating the populaces deification of violent authority its hard to tell with america

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Salt Fish posted:

There is for most people but a cop is "on the clock" while at court testifying. I think it's a poo poo law and if my employee lied I would want to fire them, but these are some interesting details.

I would understand this logic of the police in question had refused to testify and invoked the fifth. It's bizarre that this would excuse them from committing an active deception in which they are deliberately misreporting what happened rather than just refusing to say anything.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
Is it bizarre though? To me it seems clear that the law intends to not only remove all incentives to snitch but to protect people who actively cover for their buddies.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Well I'm doing that thing where you critique a system by comparing it to it's own stated ideals but sure, it's not actually surprising to learn that the government tries to discourage whistle blowers.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Helsing posted:

I would understand this logic of the police in question had refused to testify and invoked the fifth. It's bizarre that this would excuse them from committing an active deception in which they are deliberately misreporting what happened rather than just refusing to say anything.

Consider this: I'm on the clock and my boss is watching me. I'm in court before a judge giving testimony. There are 3 choices, lie, truth, 5th.

Truth: I lose my job and am possibly jailed for gross dereliction of duty/being an accessory to an assault.
Lie: I am committing perjury and if caught go to jail
5th: I am constitutionally safe from the court but lose my job because I'm obviously guilty as hell.

Granted, gently caress these guys, but I'm just making the point that the situation is a little different than if the same law covered non-police. Not that it should exist, it's bad, but it's a little interesting.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Salt Fish posted:

Consider this: I'm on the clock and my boss is watching me. I'm in court before a judge giving testimony. There are 3 choices, lie, truth, 5th.

Truth: I lose my job and am possibly jailed for gross dereliction of duty/being an accessory to an assault.
5th: I am constitutionally safe from the court but lose my job because I'm obviously guilty as hell.

Granted, gently caress these guys, but I'm just making the point that the situation is a little different than if the same law covered non-police. Not that it should exist, it's bad, but it's a little interesting.

Hmm maybe they should tell the truth or take the 5th and not lie.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Salt Fish posted:

Consider this: everyone has to make tough decisions, and lol that a cop is going to lose his job without actually murdering a civilian.

Mr. Horyd
Jul 17, 2001

Salt Fish posted:

How is this not already the case that they are constitutionally protected from having to testify against themselves? Given that there is an incriminating video aren't they now subject to an ordinary set of charges for that crime (not perjury)?

After Garrity v. New Jersey in 1967 most internal investigations advise their officers of their right to silence, but are still allowed to take said silence into consideration.

"You are being asked to provide information as part of an internal and/or administrative investigation. This is a voluntary interview and you do not have to answer questions if your answers would tend to implicate you in a crime. No disciplinary action will be taken against you solely for refusing to answer questions. However, the evidentiary value of your silence may be considered in administrative proceedings as part of the facts surrounding your case. Any statement you do choose to provide may be used as evidence in criminal and/or administrative proceedings."

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Helsing posted:

Well I'm doing that thing where you critique a system by comparing it to it's own stated ideals but sure, it's not actually surprising to learn that the government tries to discourage whistle blowers.
Does it work? I mean the first part, the second part seems to work really well.

Mr. Horyd posted:

After Garrity v. New Jersey in 1967 most internal investigations advise their officers of their right to silence, but are still allowed to take said silence into consideration.

"You are being asked to provide information as part of an internal and/or administrative investigation. This is a voluntary interview and you do not have to answer questions if your answers would tend to implicate you in a crime. No disciplinary action will be taken against you solely for refusing to answer questions. However, the evidentiary value of your silence may be considered in administrative proceedings as part of the facts surrounding your case. Any statement you do choose to provide may be used as evidence in criminal and/or administrative proceedings."
Does this mean anything except they don't have to forget about it?

Is the fifth amendment supposed to protect worker rights anyway?

Mr. Horyd
Jul 17, 2001

Mercrom posted:

Does this mean anything except they don't have to forget about it?

Is the fifth amendment supposed to protect worker rights anyway?

I'm far from a legal scholar (and if there's anybody who has studied the Fifth Amendment in earnest I'd be happy to hear an informed opinion) but the most applicable ruling I can find would be Griffin v. California, though that ruling was specifically regarding prohibiting prosecutors commenting on a defendant's silence and instructing jurors to consider that silence as evidence of guilt. I think Garrity specifically protects law enforcement officers from losing their jobs solely due to choosing to remain silent in an investigation, and the line "as part of the facts surrounding your case" implies to me that one would need a larger body of evidence (like, say, video evidence directly linking the officer to a crime :rolleyes:) to charge them of any crime. One of the main complaints of Griffin is that it does nothing in cases where the judge and prosecutor say nothing about the defendant not testifying in his or her own defense but the jury makes a judgement call on their own.

The "Statements made to non-governmental entities" section of the Fifth Amendment page on Wikipedia states "The privilege against self-incrimination does not protect an individual from being suspended from membership in a non-governmental, self-regulatory organization (SRO), such as the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE), where the individual refuses to answer questions posed by the SRO. An SRO itself is not a court of law, and cannot send a person to jail. SROs[...] are generally not considered to be state actors[...] SROs also lack subpoena powers. They rely heavily on requiring testimony from individuals by wielding the threat of loss of membership[...] when the individual asserts his Fifth Amendment privilege against compelled self-incrimination."

Again, not a legal scholar, but I see this as a dividing line where your refusal to answer question from a non-government entity (such as a private employer) does not protect your job. By definition, law enforcement officers are working for a government entity with subpoena powers, and cannot be questioned by their boss without it automatically being under the umbrella of Fifth Amendment.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
this wasn't a constitutional decision it was a statutory decision so this is a dumb conversation when the answer is "the Michigan legislature hosed up and can fix this with the stroke of a pen"

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

this wasn't a constitutional decision it was a statutory decision so this is a dumb conversation when the answer is "the Michigan legislature hosed up and can fix this with the stroke of a pen"

You've never had to deal with the Michigan legislature, have you?

Mr. Horyd
Jul 17, 2001

Found a better article with more details. I think I remember hearing about this piece of work before.

The Detroit News posted:

Hughes, meanwhile, has been sued eight times and has cost taxpayers more than $677,000, according to court records. Hughes had been sued over a beating during the Downtown Hoedown and accused of illegal searches and seizures, falsifying search warrants and assaulting men at gas stations.

Hughes’ attorney, John Goldpaugh, said the ruling was wonderful news and the right decision. Hughes still faces trial on the misdemeanor charge of assault and battery charges and the felony charge of misconduct in office, Goldpaugh said. Goldpaugh said he could not discuss why Hughes made false statements during the internal investigation, but said none of those statements were made for a criminal investigation.

“Their statements were made for internal affairs only,” Goldpaugh said.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Mr. Horyd posted:

Again, not a legal scholar, but I see this as a dividing line where your refusal to answer question from a non-government entity (such as a private employer) does not protect your job. By definition, law enforcement officers are working for a government entity with subpoena powers, and cannot be questioned by their boss without it automatically being under the umbrella of Fifth Amendment.
I'm not even American I'm just curious about the philosophy behind the laws.

Aren't you always automatically under the umbrella of the fifth amendment? If your boss asks you something you can be silent, or plead the fifth or whatever. There isn't much point though since he doesn't have the unique authority to take your property or lock you in his basement or execute you. It doesn't disallow him from preventing you from working on his property or wielding his authority. Why does the government have less rights in this regard?

Mercrom fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jun 26, 2016

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Mercrom posted:

Aren't you always automatically under the umbrella of the fifth amendment?
No. The government (or its agents) can not compel you to testify against yourself. Anyone who isn't, can. If you work for McDonalds they can compel you all day every day to testify against yourself. They can restrict the manner and content of your speech, they could (and in the distopian future, will) quarter troops in your house. The Constitution does not apply to them.

The Constitution applies to the government. It exists to limit the powers of the government.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Mercrom posted:

I'm not even American I'm just curious about the philosophy behind the laws.

Aren't you always automatically under the umbrella of the fifth amendment? If your boss asks you something you can be silent, or plead the fifth or whatever. There isn't much point though since he doesn't have the unique authority to take your property or lock you in his basement or execute you. It doesn't disallow him from preventing you from working on his property or wielding his authority. Why does the government have less rights in this regard?

Because it's the government, the whole point of the constitution is to give the government less rights to limit things like free speech than a private interest can. Many government workers are more protected in this regard, actually, in the sense that it's much harder to fire a government worker for what they said on facebook than a private employer.

TROIKA CURES GREEK fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 26, 2016

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
If I were a defense lawyer, I'd consider this as a really good way to exclude every bit of police testimony from a case, as there is no penalty to them if they lie in court.

Where am I legally incorrect in this theory?

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Rent-A-Cop posted:

No. The government (or its agents) can not compel you to testify against yourself. Anyone who isn't, can. If you work for McDonalds they can compel you all day every day to testify against yourself. They can restrict the manner and content of your speech, they could (and in the distopian future, will) quarter troops in your house. The Constitution does not apply to them.

The Constitution applies to the government. It exists to limit the powers of the government.
Yeah McDonalds can compel you to testify against yourself by continuing to pay you a salary if you do. The government can compel you to confess by offering you a reduced prison sentence.

It seems to me it only protects against taking away rights that does not originally belong to the person taking them away. I really don't like either example but they make sense. McDonalds has a right to fire you at any time and they give up that right in exchange for a testimony. The government has a right to execute you if they can prove you committed a crime and they give up that right in exchange for a confession.

And if McDonalds had the right to imprison you or quarter troops in your house (not their house that you live in), it would mean the government had given some of it's unique authority over to McDonalds, effectively making them an extension of the government and beholden to the constitution.

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

Because it's the government, the whole point of the constitution is to give the government less rights to limit things like free speech than a private interest can. Many government workers are more protected in this regard, actually, in the sense that it's much harder to fire a government worker for what they said on facebook than a private employer.
Is that the point of the constitution? Or is the point of the constitution to give the government less rights to limit things like free speech using their unique authority to commit violence and take property? I'm honestly asking.

And is the second part a good thing? Rather than the first amendment having any part of this, wouldn't it be better to have a law that protects all workers?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Yeah this just sounds like a really bad law. Not sure I trust a state legislature to get anything right, anywhere, but they ought to be able to fix it.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Mercrom posted:

Is that the point of the constitution? Or is the point of the constitution to give the government less rights to limit things like free speech using their unique authority to commit violence and take property? I'm honestly asking.
The government doesn't have rights. It has powers.

The Constitution exists as a check on those powers. It is, at the most basic level, a list of things the government can't legally do.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Rent-A-Cop posted:

The government doesn't have rights. It has powers.

The Constitution exists as a check on those powers. It is, at the most basic level, a list of things the government can't legally do.
You have the power to buy a gun and shoot your neighbor. The US government has the power to carpet bomb it's constituents with nuclear weapons. But let's not argue semantics.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Words have meanings. In this case they have very specific meanings that have been worked out over 200+ years of jurisprudence.

If you want to discuss the law you're going to need to concede that words have a legal definition.

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

Warcabbit posted:

If I were a defense lawyer, I'd consider this as a really good way to exclude every bit of police testimony from a case, as there is no penalty to them if they lie in court.

Huh, I don't think this was thought through.

Well, at least we have the right to resist illegal searches.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Words have meanings. In this case they have very specific meanings that have been worked out over 200+ years of jurisprudence.

If you want to discuss the law you're going to need to concede that words have a legal definition.
Alright so powers are the government's legal oughts in the same way rights are a person's (and corporation's) legal oughts.

I'm sorry I didn't notice you were trying to answer my question before about the point of the constitution. Yes I do get that the constitution explicitly prohibits the government from legally doing things. It is those things that it explicitly prohibits I am asking about.

The first amendment seems way too broad. It begins with "Congress shall make no law..." that in various ways prohibit freedom of speech. All the laws protecting property indirectly prohibit freedom of speech. Why interpret this to only limit the powers of government institutions?

Reading the fifth amendment I see that it actually just uses the word "compel" which clears things up. It is broad but I assume means threatening to do harm not offering incentives. The government has the power to offer you the incentive of a plea bargain. A judge does not have the power to give you the death penalty because you refused a plea bargain, but they certainly have the power ability to do so. The government similarly does not have the power to renege on an employment contract just because you plead the fifth.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Mercrom posted:

All the laws protecting property indirectly prohibit freedom of speech
How do you figure?

Mercrom posted:

Why interpret this to only limit the powers of government institutions?
Because there is no other way to interpret it. The Constitution simply doesn't apply to non-government entities. poo poo, until fairly recently it didn't even apply to states, and parts of it still (debatably) don't.

Mercrom posted:

The government similarly does not have the power to renege on an employment contract just because you plead the fifth.
Right. The government can offer you just about anything to voluntarily wave your rights, but generally cannot legally punish you for refusing to do so. As a government institution, a public employer cannot punish employees for exercising their constitutional rights (in most circumstances) where a private employer could.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Rent-A-Cop posted:

How do you figure?
Because the government is the one actually enforcing the threats your employer makes against you. Because they are the ones forcing you to accept the troops the landlord has stationed in your house. And because it means that if someone owns all the newspapers, TV stations, the entire internet and all capital necessary to construct these things, the government is legally obligated to restrict other people from using these things freely.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Because there is no other way to interpret it. The Constitution simply doesn't apply to non-government entities. poo poo, until fairly recently it didn't even apply to states, and parts of it still (debatably) don't.
But far as I can interpret it the first amendment only applies to congress. How can it limit other parts of government except indirectly through law making? And since congress also makes laws for the people, why don't those laws face the same restrictions?

I'm sorry this is getting way off topic but I don't think anyone not even the judges enforcing it believes the Michigan law isn't stupid as hell.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Mercrom posted:

But far as I can interpret it the first amendment only applies to congress. How can it limit other parts of government except indirectly through law making? And since congress also makes laws for the people, why don't those laws face the same restrictions?
Originally it did only apply to Congress. "Congress shall make no law" is pretty darn clear after all. Other parts of the Federal government operate because Congress funds them. So depending on how broadly you want to interpret "shall make no law" you can pretty much include anything the national government does, since Congress must legislate to pay for it. That said, the 1st Amendment has been incorporated to the states and is now a much broader right than the drafters of the Constitution likely intended. That's how America rolls though. Our laws are static. The courts interpret their meaning, and that meaning can change. I think a lot of the world gets a bit confused by that since, especially in European jurisprudence, courts seem to have a lot less leeway outside the US.

A few rights are probably a lot narrower these days too. It's pretty difficult to operate a private warship in 2016 despite the fact that the guys who wrote the Constitution obviously thought people were going to and made arrangements for it.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jun 28, 2016

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The constitution is more than just a document limiting the powers of government you bums.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

But internal affairs isn't a court? :confused:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Bip Roberts posted:

Hmm maybe they should tell the truth or take the 5th and not lie.
The problem here is that the department appears to have the power to fire them if they take the 5th. Hence the section about involuntary statements.

hobbesmaster posted:

But internal affairs isn't a court? :confused:
No, but internal affairs officers are agents of the state. They don't have the power to force someone to testify against themselves by holding their continued employment at risk.

The whole issue is that government employees have a rather unique relationship with their employer.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jun 28, 2016

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Salt Fish posted:

The relevant "constitutional protection" you were alluding to before says that no one can be: "compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself". I fail to see how actively lying is constitutionally protected. Apparently in Michigan it is statutorily protected for police officers but (and if an actual American lawyer wants to correct me here then please do) that's different than saying they have a constitutional right to lie. Nothing in the 5th amendment would seem to sanction this behavior.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Helsing posted:

The relevant "constitutional protection" you were alluding to before says that no one can be: "compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself". I fail to see how actively lying is constitutionally protected. Apparently in Michigan it is statutorily protected for police officers but (and if an actual American lawyer wants to correct me here then please do) that's different than saying they have a constitutional right to lie. Nothing in the 5th amendment would seem to sanction this behavior.

In which case the law is unconstitutional and the statements illegally coerced.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Helsing posted:

If I wanted to come at it from a 5th Amendment standpoint, I'd say that, if testimony is given under coercion, then it can't be used against you. Whether the testimony was true or false is irrelevant. If the state says, for example, "You have to give us a sworn statement about where you were last Friday night, or we'll throw you in jail without charge until you do," and you choose to make a false statement because you need to be out of jail to take care of your grandma and keep your job, and the truth was that you were at your coke dealer's house buying coke, you shouldn't be prosecuted for making a false sworn statement. Yes, you had the option to take it on the chin, refuse to make a statement, and sit in jail waiting for the courts to get around to remedying your situation, but that wouldn't bring grandma back, and you're probably going to lose your job, apartment, etc. while you wait.

However, the U.S. Supreme Court may have shot down that interpretation in U.S. v Wong, when they held that the 5th doesn't condone perjury. In that case, the defendant claimed that they weren't advised of their right to remain silent, rather than being coerced.

Under the DLEOA, any information provided by a law enforcement officer, if compelled under threat of any employment sanction by the officer’s employer, cannot be used against the officer in subsequent criminal proceedings. The act does not distinguish between true and false statements. Therefore, even if false, the officer’s statements cannot be used against the officer in a subsequent prosecution. It looks like the Michigan law offers greater protection than the 5th in that circumstance.

The court noted that this was probably not the intended effect, and that, after the court found in a previous case that a grant of immunity did not apply only to truthful answers based on the plain language of the law, the legislature went back and added reference to "truthful information" to the relevant statutes. They failed to do this in the case of the DLEOA, so they should probably go back and do that.

Basically:

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jun 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Warcabbit posted:

The law specifies involuntary testimony. As long as the officer in question gives his testimony volunarily, he's subject to the usual penalties for perjury.

• Locked thread