Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Seeing as the ArmA franchise is on sale until July 4th via the Steam Summer Sale, and that the only threads I could find were oddly enough in the private server subforum, I thought to create one in here.

Summer sale link:
http://store.steampowered.com/sale/arma/

quote:

Experience true combat gameplay in a massive military sandbox. Deploying a wide variety of single- and multiplayer content, over 20 vehicles and 40 weapons, and limitless opportunities for content creation, this is the PC’s premier military game. Authentic, diverse, open - Arma 3 sends you to war.

Arma can be played single player, which is really nothing I have even attempted to do beyond testing out weapons and vehicles. The real action is multiplayer and it is ridiculously fun.

There are various multiplayer modded servers, such as ones devoted to DAY-Z type of survival. There are also "vanilla" servers to play on. My addiction at the moment is King of the Hill:

quote:

King of the Hill is a three team sector control mission within ArmA 3. As you play you will gain experience which will in turn unlock new gear and vehicles to aid your teams efforts to control the zone.

If you have the slightest urge to make things explode with real-world weaponry, and shoot and explode mans in a milsim, you really should try ArmA.

Feel free to add to this. Will update the OP with stuff

Discord: https://discord.gg/0n1q1A3n9RTfXWaE

ArmA; Chicks Dig It

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyJesus
Jun 6, 2008
Where's the zombies at

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

CrazyJesus posted:

Where's the zombies at

I am glad you asked! Really excited as well!

The answer, despite the existance of the "stand-alone" (SA) iteration of DayZ, is overwhelmingly the DayZ Mod for Arma II!

or better yet, build stuff and join an actual economy!

quote:

Epoch is set in the year 2035, just two years after a massive world wide extinction. The exact cause is unknown and the only people left are clones with no memory of the past. Documents found in the world tell a us that before the mass extinction event, The largest technology corporation had made great breakthroughs. This technology changed the world in many ways and is thought to be the cause of the extinction. Those that remain are left with remnants of a once technological society. Try to survive, build, or explore your way through the harsh dynamic environment.
http://epochmod.com/index.php

CrazyJesus
Jun 6, 2008

War is hell

Dammit_Carl!
Mar 5, 2013
Thanks to the tip from a friendly goon in the Arma 3 thread, I managed to get the whole kit-n-kaboodle from Bohemia earlier last week; now I need to make space on the hard drive for all of the madness!

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Dammit_Carl! posted:

Thanks to the tip from a friendly goon in the Arma 3 thread, I managed to get the whole kit-n-kaboodle from Bohemia earlier last week; now I need to make space on the hard drive for all of the madness!

What is nice is that you don't need to install every single thing from the kit/kaboodle. Did your Kaboodle include the Apex DLC? I still need to get that.

Now if you plan on playing the Breaking Point Mod
https://www.thezombieinfection.com/
you will have to have quite a bit of space on your drive. It is pretty much the only mod I have kept installed as I go back to it every so often to work on my factions (My ranger aspires to get his hat back someday :( ). Aside from that, you can play a ton of multiplayer stuff with just the client and DLCs if you get them. KoTH doesn't require any funky installations. Just go to multiplayer and you will be able to jump right into the action*

*Which is kind of a pain at the moment when playing KoTH, there are TONs of new people in the games that are filling up the voice channels with inane bullshit. But if you avoid the US#1 server, or any other "tanks/jets/heli" servers, it is a bit more civilized.

Dammit_Carl!
Mar 5, 2013
The bundle didn't come with the newer Apex DLC, but did come with pretty much everything else that Bohemia has put out that is Arma related.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Dammit_Carl! posted:

The bundle didn't come with the newer Apex DLC, but did come with pretty much everything else that Bohemia has put out that is Arma related.

If it came with the other DLCs, I would just install ArmA 2 and 3. The options with just that stuff can fill up a couple years of play. I really wouldn't bother with the others. The standalone for DZ was pretty friggin bad last I checked. But yeah if you want to jump right into fun, do KoTH.

edit: Anything decent from the earlier stuff like take on helicopters is in ArmA 2 & 3.

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
Don't want to rain on your parade but http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3517328 (under the PC icon).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

No worries. What page did you find it on?

• Locked thread