Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
I've been to India a couple times, and twice I worked for a Tibetan refugee program called the Lha Institute, where you could just walk in and teach English, no experience necessary. I tried, had no idea what I was doing, neither did anybody else.

Now I'm back in the States and writing isn't playing my sky-high medical bills and I'd like to get into teaching, but I really, really, REALLY do not want to be teaching English class in high school. I came up with the ESL idea myself because I'd rather serve a community. In New York you have to get certified and the course seems to range between 1-5 thousand dollars, but most jobs require a master's in education or something (I have an MFA in Creative Writing). I know a lot of special ed teachers, but no ESL teachers. Can anyone tell me what it's like as a job, in terms of what you do and where you work and how much it pays? I'm interested in any job other than high school. (I hated high school when I was in it; I'm not going back)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ifuckedjesus
Sep 5, 2002
filez filez filez filez filez filez filez filez filez
I can't speak specifically to New York, but my mom is an ESL teacher in Ohio.

She had many years teaching middle school English, and substitute teaching before that under her belt before going back to school and getting her masters in education. Sometime after that (it was another few years) she was hired on as the ESL teacher for another district. She makes really good money for a teacher ($75k+) but then again she has her masters degree and 20+ years of experience.

In her role, since she covers a whole school district she does a lot of driving from school to school and I know that's her main gripe. She loves her job but has thought about going back to middle school or elementary school teaching just so she doesn't have the travel requirements. I know it breaks her heart sometimes working with illegal immigrants and knowing that these kids will never go to college / their family struggles at home / etc.

I don't know how it works in all parts of the country, but they hire teachers aids here that work as the translators. My mom has no foreign language skills at all.

As I understand, the hiring process is the same as for any other teaching position. You apply during the summer for openings available in the district. I would think that it being a more specialized role, openings would be more difficult than others but I'm just speculating.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I'd also be interested in this.

I'm an ESL teacher by trade. But I am hugely under-qualified, (I have my BA and a TESOL Certificate). I have worked in Japan, China and am currently in Korea for about 8 years total teaching experience.

What I'd be interested in, is whether I could get an ESL teaching job in the US. I am not American, so surely that will be a huge problem. America has a glut of native English speakers, why would they hire a foreigner?

But if they would, I would be very interested to know about it. Coz I reckon this will be my last year in Korea, and I am thinking about where to go next.

• Locked thread