Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite aspect of Thunder?
His huge muscles
His in-ring prowess
His top-shelf mask
The stomach cancer thing
View Results

• Locked thread
Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
CMLL "luchador" Thunder, real name Luke Fordward, has passed away from stomach cancer at age 35, far too young. please use this thread to grieve, post your favorite memories of Thunder, and tell everyone how he made you feel when he was in the ring. sometimes you don't know what you got until it's gone. viva Thunder.

Cubsfan's obit: http://www.thecubsfan.com/cmll/2016/07/01/thunder-1981-2016/

THUNDER'S BEST MOMENTS:

https://twitter.com/Jocay19/status/656308988867252224

https://twitter.com/Oatgan/status/748723929540272128

https://twitter.com/luchablog/status/544296155803574274/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

thunder was everything good about everything bad about lucha RIP

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Thunder was genuinely one of the worst workers I've ever seen, but he also continually made me excited to see him to see what new and unique way he would be awful, and therein lies what made him an unforgettably great wrestler. All-time greats find ways to continue to amaze, and in that regard Thunder delivered time and time again. Wrestling is worse off without him.

Long live Thunder.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Thunder got me into CMLL. I turned on their show and was all like "who is this awkward and yet utterly compelling masked gringo?"

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

You can't teach that.

Miss you already, Big Guy.

edit:

edit2:

Sticky Nate fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 1, 2016

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

we need a good gif of his pec pops. Arena Mexico came unglued everytime he did that. Serious panties in the air business.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Thunder was one of those guys who would show you nothing - he had bad offense, was constantly out of position, and would just get lost in the middle of matches - but then he'd do a massive asai moonsault, and it'd catch you off guard.

But it was his abject awfulness that was endearing, and the way CMLL kept pushing him and pushing him over and over and over. He was everything wrong with lucha, and oh lord was he everything right with it as well. Nepotism and body fetishism are the central tenants of pro wrestling, after all.

My favorite Thunder story, supposedly, is he quit training, simply because he didn't like it, and CMLL still booked him as a near-top guy anyway. They tried so hard with a lump that was just never gonna be, and the futility of it was absolutely hilarious. But all along the way, Thunder's complete inability to develop at all and constant botching was enough to make me tune in every time there was a Thunder. Wrestling companies should always have just one Thunder on hand.

Durk Hendrunkqs
Dec 12, 2006

It's useless.
I miss him :(

The idea they would give him a singles match would guarantee me watching a Monday night Puebla show.

your friend sk
Dec 10, 2005

(ヤイケス!)

no, maybe thunder is just on hiatus :(

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
review cmll thunder

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Dr Lucha finally snapped and killed him, huh?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

I can honestly say that Lucha Underground is worse off for never having had a single Thunder match. The Mack vs. Thunder, tell you wouldn't wanted to have seen that.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

that bodyslam-into-low-blow is legit

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

goddamn I need to find the gif of Thunder about to give someone a suplex but is shoved away by his own teammate at the last second because Thunder is Not Good

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

This is legit the most bummed I've been about a wrestling death since Dusty :( RIP Thunder, you'll be overpushed and botching with the angels now

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Little Mac posted:

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Little Mac posted:

It reminds me of one of those smackdown games where you could make your own move. So goofy

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

RZApublican posted:

I can honestly say that Lucha Underground is worse off for never having had a single Thunder match. The Mack vs. Thunder, tell you wouldn't wanted to have seen that.

Thunder is the difference between real lucha and mere cultural appropriation.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
https://twitter.com/therealfredo/status/750804942194028545

gone too soon

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Has this really not been posted?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoaShLCL5J0

gently caress The Final Deletion, Thunder was ahead of the game.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Lmao what in the hell is happening

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

He's boomerang bombing angels in heaven now.

Durk Hendrunkqs
Dec 12, 2006

It's useless.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

boomerang bomb owns so loving hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

pathetic little tramp posted:

He's boomerang bombing angels in heaven now.

All I knew about Thunder before his death was that he was in CMLL and sucked real bad.

I now know that he was the innovator of the greatest move of all time. RIP.

• Locked thread