Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ufarn
May 30, 2009
- Windows 10 Pro x64
- Specs - missing two HDDs

I've tried

- chkdsk (basic HDD test tool in Windows)
- memtesting my RAM (two modules were busted, remaining two had 0 errors overnight)
- resetting my Windows 10 installation - it froze when I tried to refresh it, so just reset instead
- reinstalling the GFX driver (crimson-16.6.1-win10-win8.1-win7-june) over and over again, of course

I had the same problem on 8.1, which is a big part of the reason why I upgraded. I also used to get occasional BSODs, but there haven't been any of those for the past two days, although it might just be a matter of time.

The GFX is fairly new, so I don't think it's faulty hardware. I remember my RAM modules being very hot to the touch, so could it be that there's a possible overheating issue? I've got a Noctua heatsink, but there's a lot of dust in the house, so maybe a cleaning might help?

It's not possible to do right now, as it's raining cats and dogs, but just floating ideas. When a GFX overheats, there's general a visual distortion, but it could be something else overheating, I guess.

I think I've had this problem for like a month, so I don't know what might be the cause.

What say you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Since you installed windows with failing RAM, do a fresh installation now that the issues are fixed.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Alereon posted:

Since you installed windows with failing RAM, do a fresh installation now that the issues are fixed.
I did the reset after that; is a fresh installation practically different from resetting?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
You're missing the point, you need to do a fresh installation of Windows (from new media if what you have was made with your failing RAM) and re-download any drivers and software now that your hardware issues are fixed. Trying to reset Windows from the files that were corrupted by your failing RAM isn't going to help very much, and until you have a known-good starting point (uncorrupted installation of Windows) you can't really troubleshoot anything.

Imagine the data corruption from the failing RAM is like a virus. It "infected" the Windows installation files when they were put on your computer, now even after you removed the RAM, every new installation or reset you do with those files will be "infected." You have to start fresh with clean copies, downloaded fresh from Microsoft if needed.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 4, 2016

ufarn
May 30, 2009
So the Advanced Boot and Reset themselves depend on the buggy, pre-Reset, RAM-free installation - even though I had removed the RAM at the time of the Reset?

But if I download a W10 installer with MediaCreationTool on my current post-Reset, RAM-free installation and use that in a re-install, I should be good?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

ufarn posted:

But if I download a W10 installer with MediaCreationTool on my current post-Reset, RAM-free installation and use that in a re-install, I should be good?

Probably.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Well, I just finished the re-install, and I still get crashing display drivers. :/

E: Here's the temps:

No idea why the mobo highs look like that, because I never see it reach that in the value box, even as I reset and monitor myself, and it seems weird that it would spike 50C in a second.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jul 10, 2016

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Use GPU-Z and check GPU temperatures: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

Make sure you're using the latest motherboard BIOS: https://www.asus.com/ae-en/Motherboards/P7P55DE_Deluxe/HelpDesk_Download/

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I've tried to download the BIOS (P7P55D-E-ASUS-1601.ROM), but it doesn't show up in EZFlash (or whatever it's called). Don't know what to make of it as I haven't flashed BIOSes all that often. There's no Win10x64 option amongst the versions, but so I went with the 8.1x64 one. E: Found out how to check BIOS version; I have the most recent one.

I can't seem to throw anything at my GPU that puts it above 50C, but the max load looks like 57%. What's a good tool for stress testing it?

ufarn fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jul 11, 2016

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I think some use

http://www.3dmark.com/

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Ran the test, and as much as I threw at it, the most I could get it to was 63C with sustained 99% GPU load.

No driver crashes during the tests.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'd probably try another GPU and see if the same kinds of errors continue or not.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Don't really have one. I've been planning on giving the computer a thorough cleaning, but the weather's been terrible, but that's probably going to be the next thing I try.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Was wondering why it took so long since the driver last crashed, and it crashed twice today. This is what the GPU-Z log looks like right up to the crash (and a bit after): http://dpaste.com/3KZ2DJ4

The weather looks like it'll be better tomorrow, so might take it for an extensive cleaning then - not that there seem to be any temp problems.

The fan seems to be acting kinda strange, though, especially given the low temp, but I haven't configured fan control, so maybe it's just weird default behaviour.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Finished my extensive clean-up, and things were going really well for several days, but the driver just crashed, so. :/

• Locked thread