Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

FuhrerHat posted:

did you see the revenant? the first shot was neat

I have not but now I've got to see it.

Professor Shark posted:

There is a lot if terrible stuff that happens in BM, however the part at the end with the bear has always stuck with me

That poor bear :(

Somewhat related, when I made this, I had not realized that Vin Diesel was near 50. It's very possible that we could actually see this casting happen...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Someone on SA said Holden should be played by John Goodman, and now I can't picture anyone else.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
john goodman is getting old. what about liam neeson? he's tall and imposing enough physically and can act, too.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
it's so loving boring and pointless

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
are you suggesting vin diesal as the judge wtf

also john goodman is like default casting but stop lying to yourselves that would be loving terrible. also liam neeson? are you serious with that poo poo?

I hope they never make that movie unless they can actually pull it off and all signs point to no.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

James Franco went thrpugh a period where he fell in love with Cormac McCarthy and really wanted to direct Blood Meridian. James Franco.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

I don't think you could put Comanche raping the dead in a modern movie.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Mr. Unlucky posted:

are you suggesting vin diesal as the judge wtf

:thejoke:

I didn't mean it seriously but I was rather surprised at how old Diesel is that I'm certain some exec would try and do that.

Professor Shark posted:

James Franco went thrpugh a period where he fell in love with Cormac McCarthy and really wanted to direct Blood Meridian. James Franco.

TBF, Mark Pellegrino wasn't a bad Judge Holden and Scott Glenn as Toadvine was perfect casting. But yeah, that test footage wasn't that hot.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
Hey, Matthew McConaughey wanted to make the movie out of Dan Simmon's Hyperion. Stranger things have happened. It also explains him doing Interstellar. Especially this scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiEJjx4YCZU

"Oh Hey Rachel Weintraub, So's as y'all people get older, you will just keep gettin' younger? awright, awright, awright!"

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

why is the internet obsessed with this weirdo

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I know you always have to take liberties with casting, but when it comes to the judge you'd have to nail it. Just google image search the judge to see how badly people have hosed up their envisionment of him. He's meant to be a giant, fat baby-man and people are saying, "Get Vin Diesel because he's bald." Are you messing?

Though maybe as a giant, bald, fat man I'm biased.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Drunken Baker posted:

I know you always have to take liberties with casting, but when it comes to the judge you'd have to nail it. Just google image search the judge to see how badly people have hosed up their envisionment of him. He's meant to be a giant, fat baby-man and people are saying, "Get Vin Diesel because he's bald." Are you messing?

Though maybe as a giant, bald, fat man I'm biased.

uhh, you know ppl can change their appearance for a role? vin could put on like, 40 kg's or something. same goes for liam neeson. just put on a fat suit.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Vin is an awful choice for reasons beyond his appearance though. The judge isn't a "badass" character he transcends humanity, you can't just have someone lowly and slowly waxing poetical like Vin as Riddick.

But I'm getting too serious about this so I'll stop now.

Bryan cranston in one of those inflatable sumo suits.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Drunken Baker posted:

he transcends humanity,

this pretty much rules out everyone

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jul 21, 2016

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I've not read No Country, but how well did Bardem do portraying Chigur? I heard Chigur and the judge are both meant to represent God, the same totality of death and driven force. So if he's been translated well then maybe the judge could be too.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Drunken Baker posted:

I've not read No Country, but how well did Bardem do portraying Chigur? I heard Chigur and the judge are both meant to represent God, the same totality of death and driven force. So if he's been translated well then maybe the judge could be too.

very well, altho when you make a film and actually turn a character into flesh, vague mysticism that you can convey in words naturally goes away.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Yeah, very true. I'll fully admit I'm just being a super weird rear end in a top hat when it comes to the casting of the judge.

I'll echo that Iñárritu is probably the only person I can think of who could even come close to capturing that book, like its been said after seeing the beginning of The Revenant I can't imagine anyone else doing it.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Jason Statham in a fatsuit?

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

Glenn Fleshler is a big fat bald guy with a babyface and his character in True Detective wasn't a million miles from the Judge

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

Or put Forest Whitaker in whiteface

Bedevere
Jun 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
On CofM this guy who does a whole philosophical review of the film: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_0gHgfLHl0
and a nice film class on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-woNlmVcdjc

On The Road: It is a great book, that you could read in a busy weekend, but it will gently caress you up for a few weeks. I never spent so much time thinking about a book after reading it.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

dads_work_files posted:

Or put Forest Whitaker in whiteface

I get told I look like a white FW all the time bar the gozzy eye.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i wish they had gone into more world detail about how pedophiles coped with the lack of kids around in the film Child of Men

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo

thathonkey posted:

i wish they had gone into more world detail about how pedophiles coped with the lack of kids around in the film Child of Men

The true tragedy of the setting.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I like Doomsday, which is cheesier British post-apocalypse, but has Rhona Mitra

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

FuturePastNow posted:

I like Doomsday, which is cheesier British post-apocalypse, but has Rhona Mitra

also 28 weeks later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
This is my child, he said. I wash a dead man's brains out of his hair. That is my job.

I read "The Road" as a new father when it was first printed, having no idea what I was doing... I was hosed up for weeks.

• Locked thread