Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

A poster to surpass Bifauxnen!
I'm posting the beginnings of my sheet. There are a couple things missing but I wanted to get something on the thread to demonstrate my interest. Let e know what you think.

Name: Corinthian – Often called Corin (Scowling Noir Private Detective Is A Demon Trapped In A Golem)

Personality: Corinthian has no love for this plane, or for mortals. His people's opinion of the inhabitants of all other planes lands somewhere between “Savage Natives” and “Delicate Fruit”. Demons do eat souls, sometimes, but as their own affair in off-hours. Corinthian hasn't participated in that, or really any of his old hobbies, in at least four hundred years. He longs for the far-off day when he can again return to the sun-bleached beaches and sulfurous hot springs of his native Hell. The chance (the very good chance) that this return may never be possible has driven him into a small madness. But a productive madness.

Corinthian has taken the habit of talking to himself. Loudly and in public. His body has no “lungs” in the strictest sense of the word, but Corinthian is a nearly constant smoker of pipe tobacco. It affects him not at all, except to remind him of happier days. He has become a Private Detective of notable reputation in the capital of Sevvran. He takes the business very seriously despite treating customers and cases with open contempt. When not working, he puzzles together hints to the locations of ancient blessed artifacts, or details of ancient prophesies.

In his desperation to be rid of his mortal prison Corinthian has become an obsessive follower of legend and myth. Having rigorously tried all conventional courses to rid himself of his golem, he turns now to the unconventional. His interactions with the legendary are not reverent. He is ruthlessly methodical, he keeps long hand written scrolls at home listing every myth he's read that may be even vaguely pertinent to his predicament. His plan appears to be to try all the artifacts, commune with all the gods, fulfill all the prophesies. When others duly note the absurdity of his plan he merely scowls coldly and hisses “I've got time.”

Not uncalculated but incautious Corinthian behaves without a reasonable sense of fear in most situations, often unprovoked or before clearly understanding his own interests. Great sorrow can sometimes be intoxicating and for Corinthian life is a huge enough sorrow to leave him stumbling and looking for a fight. He is prone to self-endangerment but has be known to indulge in self-brutalization, self-flagellation and self-conflagration as well during occasional bouts of manic sadness. These are ultimately toothless as his golem body mends all damage it receives. In more lucid moments he is either condescending or resentful, sometimes toeing the line of dour.

Appearance: Photo to come.

Back Story: Corinthian served as a Count in the High Parlors of Hell. The dances and banquets and reckless hedonism kept Corinthian in good spirits when, on other nights, it was his duty to imperil himself on foreign planes. Being an officer of any sort meant field missions. The higher ups went on fewer of them, sure. But no one escaped the raw side of the bargain. The parties weren't free.

A lot of things aren't as free as they seem in Hell.

Corinthian often found himself assigned to the mortal plane demons call Hedrigoeth. It was recognition of his apt, really. Hedrigoeth was a relatively mature plane, a little wild, certainly untamed. There were sophisticated magical schools there. Once or twice a wayward wizard wandered through the veil and visited Hell from Hedrigoeth. To put it bluntly, Hell would never have sent an amateur to hunt in Hedrigoeth – because it's dangerous. And even veterans can make mistakes.

It was going to be the star on his ledger - his biggest catch. Had possessing the Headmaster of Hedrigoeth's finest school for Healing Magiks, on their yearly solstice feast, in the center of throngs of Clerical Magi, been a little foolhardy? He hadn't thought so then. Dear Hellscape he thought so now. The stakes hadn't seemed real then. When demons die they go to Hell. Corinthian foolishly thought this was the greatest wound the pitiful Hedrigeoths could inflict, to send him home slightly early. He couldn't have predicted then that he might never see his home again.

The Clerical Magi froze Corinthian and their Headmaster in a stasis ball of powerful magik. The Demon knew then that something was wrong. Why keep twelve monks chanting non-stop for two cycles of the moon when, frankly, Corin would have consented to an exorcism the day after that drat stasis field went up? It was unnerving. Demons don't unnerve easily.

The second full moon after the solstice was the last night of his detainment. And the first night of his imprisonment. The Magi wheeled in a golem of imposing design, made fully from Moon Brass, glyphs, ruins and charms inlaid, protection spells of incredible complexity humming through every component. And behind the opened chest piece, in the place a heart might go, there was a mount for something shaped like a star. The Magi produced the stone quickly from a silken purse, an intimidating blood-red jewel hemmed with black where the light did not grace it. And yet somehow, the ill-lit pitch edges seemed to emit a light of their own. A cold glow that pained the eyes to witness. Corinthian wished he could speak, negotiate, plead. All of these were beyond his grasp. He could only lay motionless and watch the jewel be carried closer, closer, finally laid upon the chest of the aged Headmaster. In a split second of searing pain he writhed violently and Corinthian felt himself fall, endlessly down, endlessly far, into a black void of whirling silence. No thoughts escaped. Perhaps he'd never had thoughts to begin with.

Corinthian awoke from his torpor with no knowledge of how much time had passed, no knowledge of where he was or what had become of him. He curled and yawned as he might have waking up on his velvet chaise on a balmy, breezy, Hell morning. But his head did not rest the same. And he felt thin, somehow less substantial, like he'd been sculpted anew in driftwood. Terror seized him as memories returned and he opened his eyes the instant before his brain screamed to not. His hands were … not his hands. Not the hands of a human or a demon or any animal. He felt the whirring of gears everywhere, a low and muffled hum; he wanted to vomit but there was nothing in his nature now that was capable. Corinthian inhabited the golem from the full moon night. And when he reached into the nether for powers, he felt nothing.

The Magi made a spectacle of their chained demon for a scant few years following Corinthian's neutering. Their magical school must have received double the initiates in that first decade alone. But only four, maybe five years into the fame and recognition, the press tours stopped. The public tours stopped. For no greatly apparent reason the public just moved on. And as the public moved on, the Magi moved on. Corinthian was, in the end, placced in a wooden crate - like an object - and stored in the tower's basement. With the objects! Its impossible to know how much time passed in their. He used to be visited by the fourteenth headmaster, who said he was the fourth headmaster following the man Corinthian had possessed. But he stopped visiting too.

Corinthian saw light again when looters broke through the ashen wood of his crate. It was decently apparent some catastrophe had taken place. And in the wake of it scavengers prowled the grounds for artifacts. They had mistaken him for a fancy golem – and only a fancy golem. Corinthian no longer had the power to corrupt a human mind directly but it wasn't very difficult to convince the scavenger he was valuable enough to hold onto. It began as “Find the right buyer and I'm more valuable than the Moon Brass I'm made from. And in the meantime I'll help around the camp.” That turned quickly into “The help I do around the camp is worth more than the Moon Brass. Keep me around as long term an investment.” And while the weeks turned to months, Corinthian learned the antiquities trade. Beneath his skill level? Of course. But then again, that meant he could excel at it.

Four hundred years since being released from the box Corinthian now runs his own private detective agency in Sevvran. He has acquired a small library of ancient relics and powerful talismans, none of which seem to help him resolve his imposed mortality. He has also acquired a few powerful connections in the church who occasionally call upon his services in the pursuit of strange or nether-worldly artifacts. None of these connections seem to know anything about resolving his predicament; And all of them call him Corin. So while decently successful, and considered highly in his field, Corinthian is fully going made. From home sickness! What sort of Demon was he becoming?

Homeland:

Qualities:

+4 – Imposed Mortality -
Corinthian is trapped in a demon. When his demon is destroyed, the parts reform themselves. The parts can't be melted by any source he's found. When scattered a great distance his parts will travel to reform themselves. When bent or crushed they recover to their natural state. He is functionally indestructable. This however means that Corinthian can never escape his golem body, or this realm.

+2 – Demonic Resources -
Corinthian can still sometimes call on advice from other demons who are less, tied down. And even when he can't, he knows a thing or two about dark rituals and hidden occultism, having often been on the listening side of such magic.

+2 – Mystical Magical Antique Emporium-
Corinthian has a small library of rare and powerful antiques, relics, legendary baubles. His collection is fewer weapons, mystical swords and armor are more highly prized so it's a more difficult market. He mostly works in accessories and magical relics. The older the better. When a strange situation presents itself, he as often as not has something he can pull from his basement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Ok, Impressions!

Your Eminence, Prestor Valentin, Papal Chancellor,

It is with a feeling of great inadequacy that I take up the holy task to which his holiness assigned me, and I humbly ask for your prayers that God strengthen me in my time of trial, so that I might be worthy of the task to which I have been assigned.

As you have requested, your Eminence, I am including brief evaluations of certain individuals of importance in the Kingdom regarding their desire to walk in the path of God. It is my humble request that you restrict this information to His Holiness and those members of the Chancelry who have a need to know it, as some of this information may be sensitive and might reflect poorly on the Church should it fall into evil hands.

Glaumdrang Wealth-Checker- As this being is not human, or one of the non-human races containing a soul given to it by Vallensius, and as such is outside the proper concern of this office. It is my understanding that the Church has certain financial relationships with it, due to its monetary resources which has been profitable to both the Church and the creature, but this is more properly a matter for other offices within the Church, such as the Treasury, the Household, and the Congregation for Works, and I would recommend Your Eminence speak with the heads of those departments for more information.

Kiris-or, Spymaster The Orn are the second people of Vallensius, given human size and intelligence by Vallensius Himself. As such, they are favored by Vallensius only slightly less than humanity itself, and the Orn remain faithful sons and daughters of the Church, with a number of Orn becoming Saints and ordained by the Church to preach to their flocks. Kiris-or is a faithful son of the Church and of Sevvran, and I believe he is concerned about the well being of the Kingdom. It would benefit either the Church or the Kingdom if he were brought into permanent, exclusive service of one or the other.

Samarah Ka Qismah, "Prophet" of the "God" While we are working to bring the Red Vale under the true faith, it still finds itself deep in the grip of heresy and paganism. This so called "Prophet" of a false god is attempting to establish a cult around herself, preying on the deluded and naive with beliefs both heretical and dangerous. We are taking steps to find her and bring her to judgment. Until we do so, though, she remains a threat to both the peace of the Kingdom and the souls of its residents.

Artur Regios, sometimes called "The Sculptor" or "the Fleshcrafter" We are limited in our actions in Achlor. Because of the decisions of the King to allow the existence of magic in the province, we are unable to purge it of unholy sorcery. Even among the mages of Achelor, however, Regios is an abomination. He specializes in, first, the forbidden magic of Fleshcrafting, which perverts the human form, changing the human body created by Vallensius into something evil and profane. Secondly, we understand he practices the equally wicked art of Indoctrination magic, which strips a person of their free will, turning them into the slaves of the sorcerer. This man is extremely dangerous and evil, and stopping him is a top priority of this Office.

Sasha Snowdrake Ogres are, in spite of the church's teachings, widely considered by the populace to be somehow demonic. Of course, educated people realize that this is merely superstition, and that, while a violent race, Ogres are beings with free will and the ability to distinguish good from evil. Missionary work to the Western Archepelago is a thing to be considered, in spite of the risks, as many ogres still find themselves trapped by ignorance and cruelty. As for this individual herself is that she is a mercenary. A list of the campaigns that we believe she participated in is being sent along with the report. While it is my firm desire she learn the truth of Vallensius's love, and turn away from the violence that tempts her, she is not a concern of this Office, except to the extent that the existence of mercenary bands within the kingdom may be destabilizing, which is rightfully the concern of all Sevvrans.

Regent Beatrice de Wulfe She is totally unfit to be regent, and her negative attitude about the Church is regrettable. She should go to the wars and do what she is fit for.

The Windspeaker Her very efforts to elude us confirm her hostile intent. We will capture her and submit her to the question.

The Wolf's Pup This woman is an enigma. Why did she break off relations with de Wulf? What motivates her? I know these are political questions rather than religious ones, your Eminence, and ones you have no doubt given much thought to, so I ask in the spirit of humble ignorance seeking knowledge.

Lucius, the Assassin If the stories about him are true, he is a dangerous man. I fear for his soul, as murder is a grave sin.

Amporus, Heresy Incarnate His name is enough. So long as he draws breath, the entire kingdom is in danger.

Verenas of Talrimas He is young, and attained his position more thanks to his birth than his skills, but with more experience, he could well become a credit to the government.

Ludwig of Urios, the Snake The man is not trustworthy. He puts me of mind of Bartalemaus from the parable, who stopped at nothing to gain wealth, thinking he could by his way into heaven, only to be chased to hells by the souls of the people he cheated.

Lavelle Ingernassa Loathe though I am to criticize the old king, he erred in relaxing the Kingdom's control of the Archean Reach. He did so for the most noble of his intentions, of course, and it was a kind and merciful sentiment, but it meant that the spark of rebellion and sorcery flared up again, leading to the rebellion by this self titled "High Sorceress". The occupation is sadly necessary, until the natives give up their rebellious spirit. Still, no doubt the occupation is having a detrimental effect on the souls of the garrisons there, and we should make certain their spiritual needs are met.

Edvard Marcel Borde The current state of the province of Niloufar is deplorable. The Orcs press on the place without respite, and the government has not been able to help the suffering people. Still, the new Count seems to be winning victories. We can only pray for his future success, so that his people can finally find peace.

Lord Commander Viktor Von Voss By all accounts the true Regent in all but name. He has a long history of service to the kingdom, and he aided some missionaries with the army when they were under attack by local pagans. He is no doubt an asset to Sevvran.

The Prince of Pigeons That poverty exists in the land; in the capital itself, is an unthinkable abomination. There are few things more evil than hunger, want, and despair. It is the duty of all members of the church, both ecclesiastical and lay, to feed the hungry, nurse the sick, and clothe the naked. This is why the work of the Congregation for Works is so vital. My agents report rumors among the poor of the capital of someone who will come to feed the hungry, and get revenge on oppressors. This is the type of talk that comes with hunger.

Kurt Hissin Hissin is rebuilding, but there is still much work to do. Our missionary efforts there proceed apace, and the people are largely receptive. There is a terrorist group in the mountains, however, which is causing some disruption, but as of yet, they have not made too many attacks on our missionaries. Some rumors state some member of the old Royal family, perhaps the old King's son, is involved with them in some capacity, but this cannot be confirmed, and the rumor is primarily due to the young man's body not being found.

Sudden Clarity I had the privilege, shortly after the announcement of my position, of a one week retreat in Serpent's Gate. While I do not question the plan that Vallensius has for me, I confess that I sometimes feel a sort of envy for those who are called to a contemplative life. The Monks of the Order Resplendent are a bastion of the faith, and I hope that Sudden Clarity, their new first sword, can lead them to the greatness that Vallensius has planned for them.

Leona Sevvran I feel deeply for the young woman and her position. It is to the old King's credit that he recognized her, as too many fathers do not, much to their shame. I have always been of the belief that, while it is a sin to father a child out of wedlock, it is more a sin to afterwards ignore that child, to deny them a name and legitimacy. Thus does the poor child suffer for his or her parents' sins, and I have always believed that Vallensius has a special love for bastards, as He does all the weak and suffering. In her case, it might have been better for her if she were not recognized, though, for as long as she lives, she will be a pawn of those who hold a grudge against the king and seek a weapon against her. I think we all must pray for her.

Marvelous Magnus's Magic Sword I take a moment from my observations for a strange legend that has come into a revival. They say that long ago, in the early days of the kingdom, a sorcerer bound a demon into a sword, and, with the blessings of St. Leopold, used this demonic sword to fight in the arena. The demon of the sword, though, betrayed the wizard, and slew him and took his soul to hell. This story clearly has no factual basis. While, before the Revelation of Pope Rudolfus, certain minor magical practices, like magical healing and the enhancement of a thing's natural properties, were tolerated, demonology never was, nor was the granting of life to inanimate objects. Additionally, gladiatorial combat was never practiced since unification. Still, the fact that the story is being told is, I think, a sign of a general unease and fear throughout the kingdom.

Amerigo Hieronymus While a system of taxation is, of course, necessary for the maintenence of a state, I worry about some of the specifics of the current tax collectors. Do they not seem more inclined to take wealth for themselves than to give it to the crown? This is, of course, more your area of expertise than mine, your Eminence, but I worry what would happen should rogue tax collectors forget that the Church has an exemption from taxation and instead offers a yearly donation to the King.

Prince Orignoxfes As I mentioned earlier, dragons are of very little concern to the Inquisition. Gnomes, on the other hand, do have souls, but I confess to a general ignorance of them, as they only seem to live in Orignoxfes, which has not been particularly friendly to outsiders. However, I intend to send missionaries to the area, so much as it is possible, to determine exactly what the gnomes believe.

Queen Anathema I pass over the legend of Queen Anathema, as everyone knows it (though the lady herself was probably mythical), except to state that tales of her are also reviving. It is always troublesome when the people tell tales of dark sorcery and tyranny.

Gur-Khan Jalaluddin Yet another barbarian warlord, although one that might be troublesome. I wish so much that we could bring them to the truth, but they have of yet been resistant to our efforts.

Thanda, Dervish of the Desolate Wastes The Desolate Wastes is an object example of the wickedness of Sorcery. Through their arrogance and disregard for the laws of Vallensius, they destroyed their lands and allowed themselves to be possessed by demons. The fact that any Undying Demons still live among us is a source of great shame.

Octavia "Juice" Jagerpfaltz By accounts, the underworld of the city of Brion has a new crime lord, an alchemist, no less. If I might suggest, your Eminence, as I mentioned earlier, crime is the child of poverty and despair. Eliminate those, and crime will go with it, and what is the Church for, if not to help give hope.

Valas the Last Mistfall is in open revolt, turned against the King and the Church. It is vital, absolutely vital, the rebellion be put down and those responsible learn the cost of rebellion and heresy.

Kezak As I have said, your Eminence, this is more your field than mine, but is it wise to allow a merchant to sell explosive devices to anyone who would buy them? Is there not the serious danger they would be used for evil by the wicked, or cause great damage if used by the careless?

I hope this brief summary of those individuals of note in and around the kingdom meets with your approval. Please assure His Holiness that I, and the entire Inquisition pray night and day for him and for the welfare of the Church, the King, and the Kingdom.

Yours in the name of Vallensius,

Karl Vondevan, OSC, Inquisitor General

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

KhediveRex posted:

Name: Corinthian – Often called Corin (Scowling Noir Private Detective Is A Demon Trapped In A Golem)

Unfortunately I'm in a bit of a hurry today, so I can't post feedback until nearly before picks (which will happen roughly 12-14 hours from now).

But there are several issues I've already noted in other apps - please read other people's feedback - you will notice several common themes that need to be addressed in your app as well.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Sudden Clarity

Quiet Insight told me this morning that what I need most, in preparation for my journey, is to find peace within myself. I imagine my speech before the elders had something to do with it. So I find myself once again staring at the sand garden, being squawked at by spearbirds and failing to find peace. How can there be peace within me, when there is no peace outside? The Realm tears itself apart! I ought to be on the road to Ark already.

Irritated, I snatch up a stick and sit down upon the white sands, repeating once again the list of people Quiet Insight told me to memorize. I have been trying to find out about them, asking visitors from distant corners of Sevvran, but there is precious little information to be had here. Waving away a bothersome bird, I sketch a circle in the sand: the Kingdom. And within it I place marks for the people on the list that defend the throne in King Leopold's absence:

The Wolf. A great warrior! Perhaps the greatest in generations! She visited the temple once, when they called her the Silent One, and I saw her from afar. I... well. I lack the wisdom of my elders in interpreting the clouds, but... soon after that brief meeting, I had a vision, a true vision. She and I shall cross blades, I know it! What I did not see is how this will come about... a duel in the sparring ring? Or will one of us slay the other in war, amidst fire and fury? The skies gave no answer. At the time, I found this prophecy confusing -- why should I ever even see her again? But now, it fills me with... with excitement. One can not know a person's soul until the two of you have met as enemies upon the battlefield. To think that I should have such an honor! It is sad, though, to hear that she is forced to play nursemaid, sitting the throne and listening to nobles whine. A wolf lives for the hunt, for blood, not for whispers and lies. Supposedly she has taken an apprentice, but I know nothing of him or her.

Then their are her servants. The Lord-Commander is key to the defense of Ark, and seems a man of honor, but something about him sets my teeth on edge. 'No sword is without a flaw; better to know where the flaw lies.' The Tax-Collector's flaws are quite apparent, on the other hand! A rat that wears a smile... men such as he are the rot within Sevvran's wood.

The Wyrms. I needed ask no pilgrims about Glaumdrang or Orignoxfes. There is a carving of them here, on the wall of the Shrine of Blossoms, you know that? Glaumdrang, clutching a great orb of gold, and Orignoxfes, devouring some luckless mortal... there are several other dragons in the carving, of course, but those are long since lost. Such a tragedy that only a few now remain! 'The tallest tower falls first.' Perhaps I shall get the chance to meet one of them? Dragons have great wealth, and though we monks seek to have as little use for gold as possible, the same is not true of the Realm.

Next, the Bastard Princess. Actually -- is she truly loyal? She is of royal blood, and if I have learned anything of royalty, it is that they share the weakness of Ambition. With the King gone, how long before she casts her eyes upon the throne? A war of succession would be the end of us all... and yet... perhaps it is better to have weak wine than no wine at all?

Finally, the Pope... who, of course, deserves the love and respect of all true Vallensians. I wish more people remembered how he used to be; once, he came to the Rainlands every few years, to bless the shrine and speak with the Elders. But... he has grown old, and the stress of his position has weakened him over many long years. His fascination with this Windspeaker, for instance. Why? She needs to be found and brought to Achlor, of course, but one untrained wizard is far beneath his concern... very strange. I almost wish to find her first, so that I can learn the truth... It pains me to say so, but it may be time for Sahalnir XI to rest. Allow another to take up the burden. I am not privy to church politics, but the elders tell me a man named Karl Vondevan has been brought up as a possible replacement. A man of the Inquistion! An unsettling thought. I know that the Inquisition serve the gods, and perhaps Vondevan is an honorable man, but it makes me nervous.

I scowls at the lines I've drawn. A ragged and ill-suited group of "loyalists." There are far more marks to be added on the outside, beasts pressing in around the firelight:

First, there is the False Prophet of the Red Vale. She claims divinity; the elders tell me those with the Curse often think their strange magics come from the gods. Is she confused, then, or simply a liar? In truth, I suppose, it doesn't matter -- she seeks to call forth a firestorm that will devour every soul within the Red Vale. Shall we argue over why she has set our house ablaze, or put out the flames?

Second, the Prince of Hissin. I spoke to a traveller from that province, who told me their prince -- former prince -- lurks in the shadows, waiting to strike. A tragic tale! He likely wishes to help his people, but brings only more suffering upon their heads. Perhaps he will listen to reason... but if not, then we will honor his bravery in death.

Perhaps the strangest is the one they call Anathema. A sheep who has wrapped herself in the discarded skin of some ancient and powerful beast in order to make herself appear larger. How bizarre...

Even the old provinces are rumored to be hiding thoughts of rebellion... but I hesitate to believe all the tales I hear. They say Count Borde consorts openly with demons, and that the people of Mistfall now serve some twisted, undead Dark Princess, come back from the grave! There are even rumors that a strange old wizard named Magnus is using his Curse to win money and fame in the arena. I swear, for every minute pilgrims spend praying, they spend an hour making up stories. More believable, sadly, is that a new High Sorceress has arisen in the Reach. Horrors have haunted Archea for years, it surprises me not to hear that yet another has slithered up out of some dark crevice to vex the faithful with her lies.

Finally, there is the abomination that has the audacity to call itself the Sculptor. I have said before that Achlor is a plague, and look: the sickness boils to the surface. The elders say I ought not take pleasure in fighting, that I should be calm and emotionless. I think that in this case, I shall prove a rather poor student.

megane fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Jul 15, 2016

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Yami Fenrir posted:

Lucius

An assassin that used to be in employ of the late king, Lucius' motives are a mystery. During the Leopold III's reign, enemies of the king suddenly "disappeared", "died of sickness", or had "unfortunate accidents" relating to this man, but few have ever seen him do his grim business. What little is known about him is his famous weaponry of exotic design.

Now, however, he seems to have other loyalties - by the looks of it, to simple coin. Otherwise, the cases where a mysterious noble dies days before their most hated rival make little sense. But, would someone of that skill really work as a simple hired murderer?

Regardless, the man is a superb assassin - and most likely open to contracts, assuming you find away to contact him first...

Amerigo Hieronymus, numerous reports of his involvement have shown up... eliminating your rivals. Convenient, isn't it? Who died to him, and what do you think this spree of killings is about?

The seneschals of several Houses that had banded together and were highly successful at legally stonewalling my attempts to get their masters to pay up. Things got substantially easier after that since a lot of these fat, posh blobs don't actually know how much they're worth. Gentlemen don't talk about money and other such nonsense.

As much as I'd like to think I'm just that likeable, I'm sure he had his reasons. Most likely some of the deceased rivals or someone in the government with goals that happen to run parallel with mine. Or they're just trying to destabilize the nobility and accelerate the chaos to come, good times. I'd like to give the man credit for that whole "safe falls, crushes money counter" trick, I do appreciate the irony.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Alright. Sorry to all that didn't make it, but I seriously can't take 24 people. Thanks for the huge amount of interest, everyone! :)

It was a really hard choice (It in fact took me FIVE HOURS to make proper picks), but here we go:

Rauri, as Samarah Ka Qismah

Robodog, as Anathema

epicurius, as Grand Inquisitor Karl Vondevan

Megane, as Sudden Clarity

TheNabster, as Lord Commander Viktor Von Voss

PlatonicSolid, as Lavelle Ingernassa

Quornes, as Kurt Hissin

OscarDiggs, Glaumdrang Wealth-Checker

godfish, as Leona Sevvran

Ronwayne as Amerigo Hieronymus

If you aren't on this list, don't worry! Chances are, at ten people, someone's real life doesn't want them to play elfgames. I'll keep you all in mind for backfilling purposes and contact you on IRC or PM's when the need arises.

Gamethread will go up at some point this weekend, but certainly not today. That's all, and thanks for applying. :D

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Congratulations on everyone who got in!

Have fun guys!

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

WHY YOU GOTTA BREAK A BROS HEART
Well dang, that's a good slate of characters. Give em hell, OscarDiggs. Give em hell (and usury).

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
There were so many good apps that my reaction on seeing the list was almost equal excitement that a bunch of my favorites got in and disappointment that a bunch of my favorites didn't get in.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
Congratulations and commiserations where appropriate.

Puppies are dicks posted:

Well dang, that's a good slate of characters. Give em hell, OscarDiggs. Give em hell (and usury).

If any Gnomes come along, I'll be sure to give them a helluva deal. And then eat them.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Gamethread is up!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3783430

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Sorry for not posting more promptly. I'll have a post up later today. I need to give all responding parties appropriate responses.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
TheNabster, you forgot to do your rolls. While Viktor can fortify his supply lines, hes not going to get to Hissin for some awhile giving Kurt's agents time to sabotage the existing supply lines if thats what you meant.

Quornes fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jul 26, 2016

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
I didn't have the time to roll at the time, being at work and all.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Quornes posted:

TheNabster, you forgot to do your rolls. While Viktor can fortify his supply lines, hes not going to get to Hissin for some awhile giving Kurt's agents time to sabotage the existing supply lines if thats what you meant.

Plus Windspeaker and Samarah are there to interfere in everyone else's business~

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Yeah Kurts not happy. He needed attention elsewhere. Viktor is going to arrive and find the governor dead.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Quornes posted:

Yeah Kurts not happy. He needed attention elsewhere. Viktor is going to arrive and find the governor dead.

At least you can write "and all I got is this stupid broken orb" on your t-shirt.v

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jul 26, 2016

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DGlggcKc5vUdLiQU5H5rx7bi_QDDIqeO1yZo8d6PLZo/edit#gid=0

Please write yourself into this list after each round of posting, makes it easier for me to keep track of things!

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
So I'm not sure how Kurt is supposed to respond to Samarah's action. Is she just sending him a vision, or is it something to defend against being supernaturally converted?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Quornes posted:

So I'm not sure how Kurt is supposed to respond to Samarah's action. Is she just sending him a vision, or is it something to defend against being supernaturally converted?

The first. I am not going to let pcs thoughts be influenced by others rolls on such a permanent basis. Only temporarly (for example via psionics)

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Yeah, not trying to strongarm you or anything - Samarah is just attempting to show Kurt, via symbolic and ostensibly prophetic dreams, that Ra'Loah is real and that Its Prophet is A Big Deal. I talked it out with Yami ahead of time to clarify what I meant just in case, I can see why that might have been worrying.

Rauri fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Aug 25, 2016

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
I'm tired of fire gods thinking they can control our thoughts let's kill Samarah before it's too late make Sevvran great again.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Once she's dead she won't need her blood anymore, right?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Heya, quick update: I'm going to go for prompts on saturday/sunday, regardless if megane posts or not.

Edit: Megane left the game, and I am swapping in Theantero as a replacement.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 9, 2016

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Heya, as most of you (the people that are active on IRC, that is) probably know already:

I'm going to put this game on a short hiatus. Got some RL problems dragging me down hardcore. Unfortunately, I don't know how long it'll be. Might be just a couple of days, might be a couple of weeks.

Don't worry though I'm not going to drop it!

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Hey, everyone.

I'm really sorry to say this, especially after I said I wouldn't drop the game, but... the more I think about it the more this is just too much for me.

I've been plagued by depression for a while, and even now that it's a bit better, I have huge troubles writing prompts for this game. Being relatively new to GMing, I did not realize what I've got myself into taking 10 people.

But that's not it entirely. The scope of the game is just too large, and I found I'm not good enough at providing a good narrative at this kind of scale.

I hope this helps you understand my decision to do this.

So yes, I am closing this game.

I know it's not much, but I'll try to give you better chances in any future games I might run, if you're still inclined to play in my games. I took some important lessons from this game however, namely that I need to be a lot more reasonable in scale, both of the game itself and the amount of people I take.

Thanks for sticking with me for so long, everyone.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 10, 2016

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Gotta take care of yourself first, Yami. Hugs.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Game was fun,thanks for running it!

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Cheers, don't worry about it. Was fun while it lasted (granted, I only ever wrote two posts for the game proper, but ehh, details :v:)

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
poo poo happens. Was fun

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
It was fun while it lasted Yami. Good luck.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

No worries, take care of yourself, first and foremost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
We still love you, Yami. Good luck on all your stuff.

• Locked thread