Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Man, Toki is cool as hell. I love his fighting style in game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

A short look at Raoh, poorly chosen to be uploaded alone and I am very sorry for all the confusion this will/has caused

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 28, 2016

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

The video cut out after less than six minutes. I'm guessing that was not intended?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

NGDBSS posted:

The video cut out after less than six minutes. I'm guessing that was not intended?

It was! It was originally intended to be uploaded alongside the final video, but I decided to upload it by itself. Maybe uploading it as originally intended was a better idea.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Was reminded of this

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

CzarChasm posted:

Was reminded of this

She was hungry for action

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Now we'll never know who the last Nanto General is.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Scalding Coffee posted:

Now we'll never know who the last Nanto General is.

I assume that post was meant to be humorous, because it'd be almost impossible not to find out unless I just stopped recording the entire game right now. And I wouldn't do that.

I wouldn't.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

(END)

(Extras to come)

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Good news and bad news.

Good news, this was my favorite let's play so far and this thread was great.

Bad news, the extra footage mucked up and it'll take a bit longer to get, if I even feel like re-recording it at all. Stay tuned, or don't, I dunno.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
I will stay tuned because that was a very nice LP of a sweet game I've never seen/played. I've watched a couple of FOTHNS anime videos on youtube and the dub spoof videos, and didn't really know too much of the lore before I started following this thread. Been putting your videos on after I've been getting home from the gym after work while I ate, was cool to learn more about why Kenshiro is roaming around punching everyone. :munch:

Pretty entertaining, thumbs up good jobman.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Constipated posted:

I will stay tuned because that was a very nice LP of a sweet game I've never seen/played. I've watched a couple of FOTHNS anime videos on youtube and the dub spoof videos, and didn't really know too much of the lore before I started following this thread. Been putting your videos on after I've been getting home from the gym after work while I ate, was cool to learn more about why Kenshiro is roaming around punching everyone. :munch:

Pretty entertaining, thumbs up good jobman.

I will forever proudly wear the title of Good JobMan

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

This LP was great. I really enjoy watching you explain why you found stuff to like or even love in games that got lukewarm reception, and punchmans melodrama was pretty great on its own.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Thanks for this slice of punchman nostalgia and intro to what looks like a surprisingly solid game!

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Night10194 posted:

This LP was great. I really enjoy watching you explain why you found stuff to like or even love in games that got lukewarm reception, and punchmans melodrama was pretty great on its own.

ProfessorProf posted:

Thanks for this slice of punchman nostalgia and intro to what looks like a surprisingly solid game!

Thank you, it was a very fun experience.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
Raoh and Kenshiro's auras remind me of the final battle in the movie, "The Last Dragon". I wonder if it was influenced by the manga?

Thanks for the LP! Do you think you will be doing anymore Dynasty Warriors-style games?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Quiet Python posted:

Raoh and Kenshiro's auras remind me of the final battle in the movie, "The Last Dragon". I wonder if it was influenced by the manga?

Thanks for the LP! Do you think you will be doing anymore Dynasty Warriors-style games?

I've already done "Dynasty Warriors Gundam", but I'm not sure about any others, unless you have particular requests.

I have DW8Xtreme, Mystic Heroes, Dynasty Warriors StrikeForce, and Trinity: Souls of Zill Oll.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
Thanks for the LP, you did a great job of showing stuff off while also being able to take a step back and let the game speak for itself sometimes. And as someone who's basically a Fist of the North Star scholar at this point, it's also really impressive how far they went to make this game a really fitting title, down to the mechanical differences and one-on-one fights that make it more than just a Dynasty Warriors clone.

Also as a, maybe the final, bit of FotNS trivia: the Five Chariots. Reference is made to them, but the only ones we see are Fudoh and Juuza, along with the armies for Wind and Fire and one quick peek at the Water army - they were the ones guarding Yuria when Raoh falls through the floor. So I figured I'd just do a quick rundown of the actual Chariots to give a little more context to the Last Nanto General plot:

Hyui of the Wind - the first Chariot you meet in the manga, and by far the least important. He's a total chump and gets killed by Raoh in literally one hit.

Shuren of the Flames - similar to Hyui in that he's a non-factor, but has an infinitely more metal death: he sets himself on loving fire with phosphorous and tries to take Raoh with him, only for Raoh to be inexplicably immune and twist Shuren's neck a full 180 degrees.

Juuza of the Clouds - what little we see of him in game is basically his whole personality, he's all about taking it easy and doing as he pleases. In fact, his getting involved in the Last Nanto General's scheme is what tips Raoh off to her identity - Yuria, Juuza's half-sister, is the only person that could drive him to give a poo poo about anything. He's also very talented and fights Raoh to a draw in their first encounter before stealing his horse, but is killed in their second fight.

Fudoh of the Mountains - Fudoh's probably the most story important of the Chariots. He was an ex-bandit that was changed by a child Yuria's kindness and began raising orphaned children. He also humbled a teenaged Raoh by beating the tar out of him, which leads Raoh, in an attempt to conquer his demons, to challenge him to another fight after he steals away Yuria. Fudoh actually wins their rematch by the terms set by Raoh due to his overwhelming desire to protect the orphans, but is killed by a ballista bolt from Raoh's army.

Rihaku of the Ocean - strategist and ostensible leader of the Chariots. In spite of being the leader, he sucks at fighting and his strategies backfire on him - he set up the traps in the room where Kenshiro and Raoh fought, which means he's more or less indirectly responsible for Raoh finding Yuria.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I am wary about the Raoh episode, since the game might surprise me and tell more of the story.

This arc pulls all sorts of strange things. Fudo had a huge role in shaping Raoh's life. The word is fearful. The old man in the cutscene helping Kenshiro, was Rihaku of the Ocean. He probably set up all those traps you see in the palace. He has a different role in the sequel or whatever you call it, where he is an advisor to Bat and Rin's Hokuto army. Rihaku also has a daughter called Toh, who tried to seduce Raoh away from Yuria and soon after committed suicide when her plan failed. Yuria represents the Compassionate Mother Star. Her existence makes the guys go crazy for her.

What happened after Raoh stole Yuria, was that he felt fearful of Kenshiro and resolved to overcome it by killing Fudo. Fudo died, but it wasn't by Raoh. Back to the final battle, Raoh intended to kill Yuria and found out she had the same radiation poisoning as Toki. Yeah. Raoh felt sorry for her and gave her a life extension, which led to him having the same sympathy as Kenshiro, putting him on his level. She is sister to Ryuga and Juza.

Internet crapped out when I was typing this.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Have a couple plot questions you might be able to help clarify since I don't think they got covered in what we saw

1) What is the difference between Raoh and the Ken-oh names? It was two names for the same guy, right?

2) What really happened to Yuria? Obviously she didn't throw herself to her death like King had said - So was his story bullshit, or is she actually stronger than we are first led to believe and she faked her death/survived the fall?

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

CzarChasm posted:

Have a couple plot questions you might be able to help clarify since I don't think they got covered in what we saw

1) What is the difference between Raoh and the Ken-oh names? It was two names for the same guy, right?

Yeah it's just two names. Raoh's his given name and I suppose you could call Ken-Oh his title, since it just means "King of Fists." It's really just a way to introduce some drama when Ken finds out that the new big bad is someone he knows :v:

quote:

2) What really happened to Yuria? Obviously she didn't throw herself to her death like King had said - So was his story bullshit, or is she actually stronger than we are first led to believe and she faked her death/survived the fall?

She did throw herself from the balcony, but was rescued mid-fall (somehow) by the Five Chariots. When Shin made it to the bottom, he found them there, they briefed him on her identity as the Last Nanto General and swore him to silence.

e: for a little further clarification on that, Raoh intended on invading Southern Cross to capture Yuria, Shin knew he wouldn't be able to protect her from Raoh and so left her to the Chariots and took on the role of her murderer to deceive everyone, which fits since his star is the Star of Martyrdom.

DICKS FOR DINNER fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jul 30, 2016

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Of course, you can trust that was Shin's intention all along, instead of being some thug who stole someone's girlfriend and almost killed her beau in the same minute.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

His star makes so much sense now.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Hey, thanks for LPing this series. You're very good at it.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Rockopolis posted:

Hey, thanks for LPing this series. You're very good at it.

Thanks, that's always very pleasant to hear.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I remember really loving this game. I couldn't get into Ken's Rage 2 for a couple reasons; no Dream Mode to speak of, and no skill trees, your character just improved RANDOMLY based on enemy drops, which annoyed the hell out of me. Even if it covered more of the series than Ken's Rage 1 did.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Speedball posted:

I remember really loving this game. I couldn't get into Ken's Rage 2 for a couple reasons; no Dream Mode to speak of, and no skill trees, your character just improved RANDOMLY based on enemy drops, which annoyed the hell out of me. Even if it covered more of the series than Ken's Rage 1 did.

Ken's Rage 2 punches babies.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

GamesAreSupernice posted:

Ken's Rage 2 punches babies.

Also microtransactions. It shames the Hokuto no Ken style!

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011

GamesAreSupernice posted:

I've already done "Dynasty Warriors Gundam", but I'm not sure about any others, unless you have particular requests.

I have DW8Xtreme, Mystic Heroes, Dynasty Warriors StrikeForce, and Trinity: Souls of Zill Oll.

I know there have been three "One Piece" games that follow the Dynasty Warriors formula, but I only have the third one on Steam and haven't played enough of it to know if it's worth an LP.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Quiet Python posted:

I know there have been three "One Piece" games that follow the Dynasty Warriors formula, but I only have the third one on Steam and haven't played enough of it to know if it's worth an LP.

I own the first one, and I think it's the best (but I can understand why people enjoy the other two). I forgot to list it.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Maybe it's a South Star thing in general, but I always thought Shin had the greatest laugh.

https://youtu.be/-LKrWFYuNRI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

One of the Dream Mode characters I love playing as the most is Jagi. He's got a wide variety of different abilities; a little Nanto, a little Hokuto, a lot of guns... and he's ridiculous.

• Locked thread