Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
And the best character in the Resistance franchise is--
Nathan Hale
Joseph Capelli
Seriously, crow, update PoP2008
View Results

• Locked thread
nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRJWvvlsjrk

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlGhoIabau4

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
It's a portal of some sort, to another part of Youtube, full of dead videogames.

NejD
Oct 3, 2013

If you're going to include warframe at least include the moon
second dream somewhat spoilers or whatever

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

CJacobs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLDQNaGYCE4

I enjoyed this LP. it's a shame the series went down the tubes like it did, but on the bright side, they won't make it any worse with a Resistance 4! :suicide:

holy

loving

poo poo

this is the best variations on a theme. goddamn. i don't know how you could top Fish Noise's--the faint sound of Visari's speech right before Capelli shoots Hale, brilliant.

Zain posted:

You can tell this ending was completely phoned in. It was just a "Let's just deus ex machina this bullshit and be done with it." which is a shame because you can really see the part where the writers/creators stopped caring. Also I came in on R3, so I don't know much about what you're talking in the end with the Cloven or that the Chimera came here originally but left? Assuming this is millions of years ago?

The whole Pure Chimera thing comes through only in intel documents from Resistance 2 and 3. Before that, there was evidence of Chimera living on Earth millions of years ago by the fact that all the Chimeran Towers on the planet weren't constructed but were merely excavated from deep in the ground. So an advanced Chimeran civilization dominated the planet at one point but was forced off the planet due to [insert reason here]. None of that is ever elaborated on, but it's hinted that another more monstrous force may have forced the Chimera off the planet. There are fossils of Pure Chimera found and in Resistance 2 the canny observer can spot these giant tubes in one of the SRPA bases (Bryce Canyon, I believe):

It looks like some sort of Ouroboros worm. This is further corroborated by an easter egg in Resistance 3. In the Predator knock-off cloaked sniper fight in the White Forest, when you go through the mine tunnels you can find this in a corner:

It's assumed that the massive wormhole in the sky leads to the Chimeran homeworld and Herbert assumes through Malikov's journal that it's going to be Pure Chimera that comes through. We don't really know that for sure.

The Cloven are a thing that was heavily hinted at in Fall of Man but never really elaborated on. There's a section in the very first info dump video for the LP where I talk about Malikov's history and this includes a minute or two on the Cloven. Basically, they were the first Sentinels. The Russian army was inoculated with the Chimeran virus, giving them all super powers, and while this worked for a time, they eventually all went mad. They basically turned into a creepy ritualistic blood cult and cut themselves off from humanity entirely. The wound up killing humans and Chimera indiscriminately, becoming, effectively, a third army front in the war. Chimera could never turn them because Cloven committed suicide before they could be fully turned. It's kind of left at that, though. In Resistance 2, they are mentioned off-hand by Malikov and appear in a total of one intel document and the only acknowledgement of their existence in Resistance 3 is on the train right before Malikov dies: he confesses the horrible things he's done to Capelli, which are the Cloven, Daedalus, and Hale. There's a Cloven multiplayer skin in Fall of Man and R2, but R3 only gets that throw-away line. The only game where the Cloven actually appear is in Retribution, but even then not really. You get to kill one in a button action sequence, and if you managed to kill more you get Skill Points, but they're never an enemy or ally--except in the multiplayer mode where they are a faction. The brief mention in R2 says that Grayson, the protagonist of Retribution, went to Russia to become the "Cloven Killer" but we, the player, never get to see any of that.

What's really weird to me is that the Cloven, proper weird human enemies, were dropped from the series pretty much entirely and replaced by the Wardens. If Insomniac was so hell-bent on having human enemies, well gently caress, they had a pre-made faction that had had its menace built up over the course of four games already. The whole prison sequence should have been the loving Cloven. The Cloven being suicidal, wasting resources to attack a train JUST so they could kill Malikov? Well, that actually totally works from an in-game lore perspective. But alas, we wind up with shallow knock-offs of the cannibals from The Road.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

NejD posted:

If you're going to include warframe at least include the moon
second dream somewhat spoilers or whatever

hahahaha, goddamnit, it keeps happening

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
I've noticed a lot of these games Resistance... Killzone maybe? Dead Space have a problem with escalation. Like they want to try to outdo themselves from the last game they did.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Well those videos certainly escalated quickly. :stare:

As for the ending, or even the game, itself? :effort: or "The case of Insomniac Games and the phoned in closure."

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Sep 6, 2016

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Ok, ok, the ending was a little too abrupt, but had some really cool set peces, but I must play Dr. Killjoy one last time. So what's the deal with the Hale Vaccine? How many people have it? Because without it, even without the Chimera Hivemind, Grims will eventually overrun the human population and turn this game into the Left 4 Dead world.

On a more optimistic note, if they ever make a 4th game, or farm it out to some other studio, I would love for it to be about the war of attrition against the remaining Chimera in the cold areas of the planet. Like, it's ~20 years later and most of the world is rid of the Chimera, but Siberia still has a massive population because it's not particularly hospitable for humans in the first place. We're part of whatever the new UN is, and run raids on Chimera outposts until we find that without the Hivemind, the Chimeran army didn't just fall apart. They retreated the majority of their forces to the only place left with strong psychics(?) that could communicate with the Chimera that aren't on Earth, the Cloven. The Chimeran army, under command of the Cloven, left small forces in place to allow humans to think that they were winning, turning back the tide, as the Chimera were fortifying their best defensive position possible. The Cloven are trying to bring the true Chimera back to Earth and start a war that would wipe out the majority of the armed forces on both sides, steal the Chimeran technology, and create more Cloven to replace the decaying husks that are all that's left of the original Russian Army.
Then you have 4 factions playing against one another, new Chimera types, all new weapons, new gameplay style, Cloven finally show up, true Chimera show up as more than an Easter Egg, and the game couldn't feel like a retread because it's so far removed in time and location from the others

Basically, I want a game that is the Congo war from Independence Day 2, but in a frozen hellhole that actively wants humans dead, so even the environment is an enemy

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

This sure was a video game :geno:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVRK3uSqGFE

Oh my god, there's another one? :vince:

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Blind Sally posted:

i don't know how you could top Fish Noise's--the faint sound of Visari's speech right before Capelli shoots Hale, brilliant.
Well, some combination of more editing to improve narrative coherence, cleaner masking on the shot with Mick in The Autarch's Sanctum (I got about three frames in with Photoshop, sat back, and went "I don't think so"), and expanding the scope of the LP Convergence.

Of course, now that I've said this, it has become necessary for me to defeat myself in the arms race before anyone else can do it first.

But then again...

Zain posted:

I've noticed a lot of these editors CJacobs... Nine-gear maybe? Fish Noise have a problem with escalation. Like they want to try to outdo themselves from the last shitpost they did.
There is something to be said for the sustainability of keeping it simple.

...or is that cimple?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Fish Noise posted:

Well, some combination of more editing to improve narrative coherence, cleaner masking on the shot with Mick in The Autarch's Sanctum (I got about three frames in with Photoshop, sat back, and went "I don't think so"), and expanding the scope of the LP Convergence.

Of course, now that I've said this, it has become necessary for me to defeat myself in the arms race before anyone else can do it first.

:supaburn: holy poo poo

Fish Noise posted:

There is something to be said for the sustainability of keeping it simple.

...or is that cimple?

:supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

:golfclap:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Cooked Auto posted:

As for the ending, or even the game, itself? :effort: or "The case of Insomniac Games and the phoned in closure."
The way this was made it feels like whoever was put in charge was told 'end this series, we don't care about the other games or the story, just get us to a happy ending'.

Absolutely nothing is resolved, really. The worst part is that for all the teasing they did for 3 games about the origin of the Chimera they don't bother to actually tell you what their true nature was.

I thought the deal at the start of this game was that humanity was barely still around? It instead implies that after the portal closes we just somehow win because *reasons*.

Considering how easily the Chimera messed up the organized armed military of the whole planet I'm not sure why a few rag-tag resistance groups would pose a threat. Even if they are cut off from a hivemind or whatever.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Blind Sally crawls out of the LP wreckage to find Fish Noise too far gone. Fish Noise is looking up at a hole in the thread. It's a portal of some sort, to another part of the internet full of Youtube edits.

Then, this happens.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Fish Noise posted:

I'm trying to understand the "GOD DAMNIT" in the ending of this one but judging by how I look for an excuse to use it at all times I can understand if you don't have a particular reason.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Lunethex posted:

I'm trying to understand the "GOD DAMNIT" in the ending of this one but judging by how I look for an excuse to use it at all times I can understand if you don't have a particular reason.
Nobody wants to get kicked in the face by Mick Grosshair Cutler, and I didn't have any subtler negative reactions immediately ready for use.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Since we're laughing at pictures and other things in inappropriate places please see mine from last year if you haven't.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IronSaber posted:

Blind Sally crawls out of the LP wreckage to find Fish Noise too far gone. Fish Noise is looking up at a hole in the thread. It's a portal of some sort, to another part of the internet full of Youtube edits.

Then, this happens.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctDb_iVt978

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
:gas:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Blind Sally posted:

The Cloven are a thing that was heavily hinted at in Fall of Man but never really elaborated on. There's a section in the very first info dump video for the LP where I talk about Malikov's history and this includes a minute or two on the Cloven. Basically, they were the first Sentinels. The Russian army was inoculated with the Chimeran virus, giving them all super powers, and while this worked for a time, they eventually all went mad. They basically turned into a creepy ritualistic blood cult and cut themselves off from humanity entirely. The wound up killing humans and Chimera indiscriminately, becoming, effectively, a third army front in the war. Chimera could never turn them because Cloven committed suicide before they could be fully turned. It's kind of left at that, though. In Resistance 2, they are mentioned off-hand by Malikov and appear in a total of one intel document and the only acknowledgement of their existence in Resistance 3 is on the train right before Malikov dies: he confesses the horrible things he's done to Capelli, which are the Cloven, Daedalus, and Hale. There's a Cloven multiplayer skin in Fall of Man and R2, but R3 only gets that throw-away line. The only game where the Cloven actually appear is in Retribution, but even then not really. You get to kill one in a button action sequence, and if you managed to kill more you get Skill Points, but they're never an enemy or ally--except in the multiplayer mode where they are a faction. The brief mention in R2 says that Grayson, the protagonist of Retribution, went to Russia to become the "Cloven Killer" but we, the player, never get to see any of that.

What's really weird to me is that the Cloven, proper weird human enemies, were dropped from the series pretty much entirely and replaced by the Wardens. If Insomniac was so hell-bent on having human enemies, well gently caress, they had a pre-made faction that had had its menace built up over the course of four games already. The whole prison sequence should have been the loving Cloven. The Cloven being suicidal, wasting resources to attack a train JUST so they could kill Malikov? Well, that actually totally works from an in-game lore perspective. But alas, we wind up with shallow knock-offs of the cannibals from The Road.

I was always annoyed that they dropped the cloven basicaly. 1 is pretty good game that nails atmosphere pretty well(weird WW2 era war of the worlds with weird weapons and kinda creepy enemies and ton of unknown poo poo) such as the cloven and SRPA and the chimera themselves. instead 2 shits its pants and makes it self a lovely halo clone as making the chimera look derpy and cartoony(I hate the weird artstyle of 2 all the chimera outside of hybrids/grims look like cartoons) and pretty much dropping all mystery as to what they are or who the cloven are or anything. then 3 comes around and handles some stuff ok but fucks up alot of other stuff. its sad. they cloven sounded interesting as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I never played the sequels and never completed 1, but I do have good memories of it. Like you say they nailed the atmosphere and war of the worlds is exactly the comparison I was looking for.

The plot didn't even say if the chimera were alien or a human weapon or a genetic doomsday... And there were certainly no impressively named paramilitary groups successfully applying puny human science to the whole mess. It was eerie and oppressive and quite cool.

• Locked thread