Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

The second season of Comedy Central's Another Period is underway, Wednesdays at 10/9, and there's no place on the board to talk about it- UNTIL NOW.

Natasha Leggero and Riki Lindholme are back as Lillian and Beatrice Bellacourt, the spoiled darlings of the Rhode Island social set. The two created the series and are backed up by a cast which includes Paget Brewster, Michael Ian Black, Christina Hendricks, David Koechner, David Wain, Brett Gelman, and many more.

Basically it's a spoof on the Downton Abbey/Upstairs, Downstairs genre crossed with Real Housewives reality shows, and while pointing out how backward and horrific the Gilded Age was may seem like it would get old quickly, this show is just insane enough to still be consistently funny. Enjoy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I have to ask, since my DVR cut it at the end: what did Eleanor say to Beatrice?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

END ME SCOOB posted:

I have to ask, since my DVR cut it at the end: what did Eleanor say to Beatrice?

"Thanks, this was fun."

To which Beatrice replied, "You were fun too."

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I liked it when blondie went to town on her ex-husband's gaping axe wound and made a point of, well... you know.

It's entirely competent but I feel like it could be tighter a lot of the time. If they could rely less on tropes and gotchas (like the EPIC TWIST of The Bachelor episode) it could be really loving good.

edit: that said, I pass by a Hortense St. a bunch and it always makes me think of this stupid loving show.

I really wanted the prince to marry Hortense.

Propaganda Machine fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jul 14, 2016

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

ShakeZula posted:

"Thanks, this was fun."

To which Beatrice replied, "You were fun too."

Thank you.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Propaganda Machine posted:

I liked it when blondie went to town on her ex-husband's gaping axe wound and made a point of, well... you know.

It's entirely competent but I feel like it could be tighter a lot of the time. If they could rely less on tropes and gotchas (like the EPIC TWIST of The Bachelor episode) it could be really loving good.

edit: that said, I pass by a Hortense St. a bunch and it always makes me think of this stupid loving show.

I really wanted the prince to marry Hortense.

Hortense is the sister. You're thinking of Blanche. I love how this show uses real sentiments from the time to ruin people's lives.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I was most amused by FDR as a complete douchebag who laughs at the handicapped. "Good luck getting up stairs!"

Though June Diane Raphael killed it as Eleanor-as-predatory-lesbian. Particularly how she goes RIGHT to diving between Beatrice's legs.

"You have lips too."

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Enderzero posted:

Hortense is the sister. You're thinking of Blanche. I love how this show uses real sentiments from the time to ruin people's lives.

No, no, I was definitely thinking of Hortense.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Maxwell Lord posted:

I was most amused by FDR as a complete douchebag who laughs at the handicapped. "Good luck getting up stairs!"

Though June Diane Raphael killed it as Eleanor-as-predatory-lesbian. Particularly how she goes RIGHT to diving between Beatrice's legs.

"You have lips too."

"You have the best face lips I've ever seen" killed me

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
They are 3 for 3 in Hortense casting. The actress who played her for all but the pilot in season one is great on Superstore too.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

FDR being a raging rear end in a top hat was pretty fun.

Kind of odd though how this season is reversing the situation with the parents. As last season we barely saw the Commodore and this season we've barely seen Dodo.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I love this show because I absolutely loving despise Downton Abbey and "fetishism of olden times" poo poo.

That said, I love Theodore Roosevelt but was surprised he was mostly left alone. FDR as a complete douche was great though.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
My rear virginity for second marriage.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
This is the best show on TV right now. Its better than anything else on comedy central except maybe south park and broad city.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I'm on Hulu so I'm weeks behind but the whole thing w Hamish in jail w Ron Funches was too much.

What is that?
BEEF!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Confirmation that Beatrice is smart! Albeit in a very idiot-savant kinda way.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

Boywhiz88 posted:

What is that?
BEEF!

I just rewatched season one and several times Hamish appears to be literate. He even writes out his H.A.M.I.S.H. system for dehomosexualizing

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Joss Whedon as the drugstore clerk sure was a weird cameo.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Dr. Josef Mengele posted:

This is the best show on TV right now. Its better than anything else on comedy central except maybe south park and broad city.

I think it's significantly funnier than the latest seasons of those two shows, but still shy of Broad City season 2 heights.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
It took me too long to get the joke behind casting Cedric The Entertainer as Scott Joplin.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
I can't believe they did that

:rip:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The "Mexican Fold Sandwich" line is so far the most Sadie Doyle thing Dodo has ever said.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
Elder Price and Jermaine should have got a song instead of Fredrick. Also wheres Peepers?
#2blessed4incest

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Maxwell Lord posted:

The "Mexican Fold Sandwich" line is so far the most Sadie Doyle thing Dodo has ever said.

Yeah, "nun" Dodo was pretty much just Sadie. And I have no problem with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Paget got another good showing this episode with the swordfight sequence.

Also "poo poo ON MY TITS!"

• Locked thread