Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
beeaar
Dec 16, 2005
A facebook friend of mine just had one of his profile photos hijacked and used in an Instagram advertisement without his consent. He only found out because several people saw the ad and messaged him with a screenshot of it. The ad is pretty bad and I would probably be hugely offended if it was me.

My question is: Have you ever heard of this happening, or know anybody this happened to? What mode of action did you/they take? Was the issue resolved, did your photo stop being used? Or are you basically hosed in this situation because you've given Facebook all the permission it needs to use your material by posting it online?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Post the ad.

beeaar
Dec 16, 2005
I would because its hilarious but I don't want to cause him any more misery, I already feel really bad and creeped out that it happened to him the first time.

edit: Turns out, his friend who took the photo, sold the rights to it.

beeaar fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jul 17, 2016

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
We did it, thread. Great job

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Now post it.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
If your friend really wants to he can try to go after the photographer since there was no release form for him as the model.

Now post the ad.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

How this thread has no goatse I have no idea...

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

post the ad

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

beeaar posted:

My question is: Have you ever heard of this happening, or know anybody this happened to?

What mode of action did you/they take?

Was the issue resolved, did your photo stop being used?

Or are you basically hosed in this situation because you've given Facebook all the permission it needs to use your material by posting it online?

Yes.

None.

No.

Yes, it makes me feel good knowing that billionaire Mark Zuckerberg has made millions of dollars off my face. Maybe one day he will give me $1.

"You give us permission to use your name, profile picture, content, and information in connection with commercial, sponsored, or related content (such as a brand you like) served or enhanced by us. This means, for example, that you permit a business or other entity to pay us to display your name and/or profile picture with your content or information, without any compensation to you. If you have selected a specific audience for your content or information, we will respect your choice when we use it."

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Your friend took a pic of another friend and then sold it for profit, without telling the person he photographed?

Haha that person is an utter piece of poo poo and you are going to have a hard life unless you learn to pick the people you hang with better.

• Locked thread