Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
So I built my computer a few years ago. Up until now it's been running great. I've got the OS on an SSD so boot times have always been very fast.

Recently I moved and I'm worried something got damaged in the process. When I press the power button the computer starts up (can hear the fan whirring, lights come on) but the screen will remain blank for 10-30 seconds before it finally displays anything on the monitor.

Attempted fixes: I opened up the case to check inside but didn't see any obvious damage. Also tried googling the symptoms but everything was for people whose computers wouldn't start at all, which isn't my issue.

Recent changes: None, other than the move I mentioned
--

Operating system: Windows 7 64

System specs: Intel Core i5-4670k CPU
8.00 GB RAM
AMD Radeon R9 200

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Use onboard video temporarily (if you have it) and see if that loads more quickly.

What kind of PSU and how old is it?

Run http://www.memtest.org/ overnight sometime to check RAM health.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Is there a CD left in the drive? :P
edit: Or a USB flash drive plugged in?

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jul 28, 2016

telcoM
Mar 21, 2009
Fallen Rib

PantsBandit posted:

Recently I moved and I'm worried something got damaged in the process. When I press the power button the computer starts up (can hear the fan whirring, lights come on) but the screen will remain blank for 10-30 seconds before it finally displays anything on the monitor.

How is your monitor connected to the computer? If there are multiple connectors at the GPU side you could use, are you sure you're now using the same connector as before the move?

It might be that the connector you used previously was the "primary" one that gets initialized first at boot time. If you're now using a different connector, that might explain it: some GPUs either take a while in detecting the extra monitors, or just plain won't initialize them until the operating system loads the GPU driver.

• Locked thread