Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK

The Lord of Hats posted:

Maybe if you change your av to a border collie he'll decide that you're his intellectual equal worthy of conversation.

E: Also, not that I'm a dog owner, but since I want to at least make sure I'm getting things straight, with (high-prey-drive?) 'driven' dogs, that behavior is something that can be controlled to an extent with patient training, but you always have to be mindful that your dog didn't magically lose that drive, they're just not immediately acting on it. So you still need to be aware of what your dog is doing at more or less all times, and take other measures to avoid disaster. Is that about it?

now i'm just a simple hillperson but yeah, pretty much. there are things you can do to nurture drives, there are things you can do to dampen them but the drive is still there. what exactly that means varies from dog to dog based on a combination of genetics, training, and environmental influences but ultimately it's the dog's genetics that determine whether or not it will ever be safe around prey animals. 'drive' isn't a scientific term by any means but the dog community tends to use it to refer to instinctual survival impulses (fight, gently caress, hunt) that we've heavily modified in dogs according to their working purposes. Most working dog behavior is a result of emphasizing aspects of the predatory sequence (scan, eye, orient, stalk, chase, grab-bite, kill-bite, dissect) and truncating or eliminating others. this is where talking about "prey drive" gets really ambiguous - border collies, german shepherds, and terriers all tend to be high prey drive breeds but how that manifests varies greatly between breeds. A high prey drive collie will do a lot of orienting, stalking, and chasing but grab-biting and kill-biting a sheep will get a working collie shot. A high prey german shepherd will do a lot of chasing, grab-biting, and occasionally kill-biting but little to no stalking because those behaviors make good protection dogs. High prey terriers and sighthounds will complete the entire predatory sequence they're expected to take down and kill prey/pests.

The OP's dog also falls into this last category which is why a number of us were heavily emphasizing the genetic nature of it's behavior. A mix that's bred to chase and take down large prey isn't murdering kangaroos because it was raised or trained poorly, it's doing it because we've genetically programmed it to. A high prey drive collie or lab is (in most cases) going to be easier to train not murder your housecat than a breed who's been selectively bred to execute the entire predatory sequence and loooooove doing it.

Ausrotten fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jul 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

But on Pitbull Rescue I was told it was the owner, not the dog.

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
:angel: there are no bad dogs, only bad owners :angel:

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
this is 100% true - a dog that wants to kill things is not a bad dog, but in fact a Good Dog and the owner should be censured for not encouraging that dog to follow its dreams in a healthy and productive fashion.

OP you are a bad person, let your dog kill at will.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Ausrotten posted:

:angel: there are no bad dogs, only bad owners :angel:

Excuse me, as you are clearly just a beer-swilling bearded ruffian in a shower cap with in fact no dog in your avatar I do not know why you feel you are well placed to comment on this topic. You should listen to me on this because I have no avatar and therefore have no earthly body so I am probably your conscience speaking.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Tamarillo posted:

Excuse me, as you are clearly just a beer-swilling bearded ruffian in a shower cap with in fact no dog in your avatar I do not know why you feel you are well placed to comment on this topic. You should listen to me on this because I have no avatar and therefore have no earthly body so I am probably your conscience speaking.

I'm just an eyeball.

E: WRONG THREAD- apparently I'm a pegasus with hosed up eyeballs. I can deal with that.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I'm just an eyeball.

E: WRONG THREAD- apparently I'm a pegasus with hosed up eyeballs. I can deal with that.

It's ok your eyes point in different directions so you probably can't even see what you're typing

e: with your hooves

Tamarillo fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jul 28, 2016

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Real talk, I know two guys who worked with K-9 units who had to put down their personal Rottweilers due to them suddenly becoming uncontrollably aggressive towards everyone.

How does that even develop?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Real talk, I know two guys who worked with K-9 units who had to put down their personal Rottweilers due to them suddenly becoming uncontrollably aggressive towards everyone.

trainers or cops?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

SneakyFrog posted:

trainers or cops?

One was a trainer and I think one was only a cop.

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK

Tamarillo posted:

excuse you, its a bonnet

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

health problems, genetic problems, training problems, trauma. take your pick

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

dogs can have neurological disorders like anybody else ,as well as what ausrotten said

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

dogs can have neurological disorders like anybody else ,as well as what ausrotten said

I'm not sure I can trust a cross eyed Pegasus, to be honest.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

uh huh... but trusting in some invisible spirit always ends awesomely. :allears:

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I dunno what Patrick Swayze has to do with this but I find your comment distasteful.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
That rebellious dancing must be stopped. :catbert:

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

But on Pitbull Rescue I was told it was the owner, not the dog.

*eternal existential screaming*

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I'm a blue humanoid with fluttering butterflies on my hair, you can trust me instead.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Chido posted:

I'm a blue humanoid with fluttering butterflies on my hair, you can trust me instead.

Nice try, last time I trusted someone associated with Lepidoptera I ended up falling off a bridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Nice try, last time I trusted someone associated with Lepidoptera I ended up falling off a bridge.

Not my fault you didn't notice there was a chunck of railing missing when I pu.... leaned against you by accident. :colbert:

• Locked thread