Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD
What's stopping me from trading good players to each team to make the matchups more interesting and even

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Spintzel posted:

What's stopping me from trading good players to each team to make the matchups more interesting and even

I don't feel that it's very fair for someone out of the playoffs to make trades to those still in the playoffs. At this point in the season, the trade deadline has passed and the rosters are pretty much set. The only thing that should still be happening is the various matchup-based free agent pickups

And I'd say that if I was out of the playoffs as well.

It'd be pretty bullshit, imo. It'd also be pretty bullshit for a team out of the playoffs to drop their roster to introduce insanity on the waiver wire as well.

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

True. Plus it would be difficult I guess to make sure each trade is fair overall to the other playoff teams. Would be interesting if we got 4 playoff teams each scoring 300+ though.

Maybe there would be a way to calculate the best players at each position for each division to have some sort of theoretical all star teams. That might just be the math stats nerd in me talking though

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Spintzel posted:

No.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Spintzel posted:

True. Plus it would be difficult I guess to make sure each trade is fair overall to the other playoff teams. Would be interesting if we got 4 playoff teams each scoring 300+ though.

Maybe there would be a way to calculate the best players at each position for each division to have some sort of theoretical all star teams. That might just be the math stats nerd in me talking though

Let's be fair here, I fully expect all 4 teams to score close to or over 300 points this week. Each team is more than capable of it. I don't think I'd be confident with my score unless it's over 370 or so.

e: what's reaaaaally interesting this week is that Lamar Jackson plays on Thursday so we're going to see real early if he drops a Hundo to put Taxes way behind, or if he struggles enough to give Taxes a real good shot.

kayakyakr fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Nov 15, 2016

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Actually we're in the semi's, Let's look at these matchups in depth:

Leaping Lamar & Associates (kayakyakr)

I finished the year 8-2, holding the top 3 all-time scores, the all-time season score, and the #1 seed in the playoffs. That's not to say the team is perfect. It relies largely on big games from league top scorer Lamar Jackson (2nd round, #24) and #2 RB Donald Pumphrey (1st round, #17).

Losses were to Jabro (351) vs my lowest score of the year (204), and Quandary(261) vs my 2nd lowest score of the year (244). 4 of 11 games have been under 300 points. 3 of 11 games have been over 400 points.

vs

R A I D E R W A V E (Taxes)

Taxes finished the year 8-2 as well, but only captured the 5th seed due to a lower than expected season output just over 2500 points. His scoring comes primarily from #4 RB Christian McCaffrey (1st round, #4) and #7 RB Brian Hill (2nd round, #37).

His losses came against JesustheDarkLord (197) vs his low score of the year (134) and against Quandary (291) with a decent 269. Despite the slow start, Taxes has been over 300 points for 3 of the last 4 weeks.

Matchup

Lamar Jackson faces a potentially difficult Houston defense who has been up and down this season or even within games. Lamar has tended to have bounce-back games this season, so I'm expecting him to have a good outing in Houston. Taxes as Sam Darnold who faces a poor UCLA team in a rivalry game this weekend. I expect them to pour it on a little, but USC has no need for style points, so UCLA's relative weakness may hurt Darnold as USC opts for a ground attack.

At RB, we have the interesting alignment of having our two guys play each other. SDSU vs Wyoming. Both teams have solid defenses (aside from SDSU's stumble against Southern Alabama) but that might work out in favor of big days from either feature back, as the game is not likely to get out of hand, and the coaches are more likely to leave the ball in the hands of their star players. At the other RB spot, Christian McCaffrey and Kyle Hicks are both healthy again, but McCaffrey has a far superior matchup against a dogshit cal defense. My only hope is that Cal goes all out to stop McCaffrey and manages to do so to keep it close.

I have a huge WR advantage with 2 in the top 20 against Taxes's 0. Turpin is healthy again after spraining his knee earlier in the year and Austin Carr for NW is awesome. Taxes's top two guys, Ford and Gallup, are can be a bit more spikey. They both have favorable matchups against Notre Dame and New Mexico.

gently caress TE.

The defenses are pretty even. LSU is playing Florida, who is not good, while Washington is looking for a bounce-back against struggling Arizona State.

Prediction

This game is going to come down to Thursday night. If Lamar Jackson has a bounce back game and Louisville goes hard to score style points vs Houston, then he might put the game effectively out of reach. If he has a more human game, then Taxes' combo of Hill and McCaffrey will have their shots to send Taxes back to the championship game.

Someone else can do the other game, I spent way too long on this one.

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Rudolph v Flowers should be an interesting matchup. Flowers is averaging around 70 points a game and scored over 90 the past two weeks. BUT Mason Rudolph might have his best week yet against a bad TCU defense.

A point to watch in the other matchup: Taxes R/W spot. Does he start a Pettway that's been doing great recently - scoring 50+ in 3 of the past 4 weeks -but is playing an FCS team (so penalty on points and a potential for less carries) or someone like McClesky who has scored 6 touchdowns in the past 6 games and has the potential to boom against TCU this week.

Side note how did everyone in this league pass up Lamar at least once

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Spintzel posted:

Rudolph v Flowers should be an interesting matchup. Flowers is averaging around 70 points a game and scored over 90 the past two weeks. BUT Mason Rudolph might have his best week yet against a bad TCU defense.

A point to watch in the other matchup: Taxes R/W spot. Does he start a Pettway that's been doing great recently - scoring 50+ in 3 of the past 4 weeks -but is playing an FCS team (so penalty on points and a potential for less carries) or someone like McClesky who has scored 6 touchdowns in the past 6 games and has the potential to boom against TCU this week.

Side note how did everyone in this league pass up Lamar at least once

Pettway is hurt too, may not play at all.

And I'm not sure. He was the #2 QB and #4 player on my board. He had a pretty big downside. Had a huge bowl game and a couple of good games to close out the season, but could have been a one-hit wonder.

He was #5 or #6 QB in fantrax's rankings behind Watson, Mahomes, Mayfield, and a few others. I was super happy when he fell to me at #24. Just like when Mahomes fell to me at #17 last year. I think I counted crappier QB's ranked above him (according to fantrax) and took the risk that the 3 people behind me wouldn't take him to take Pumphrey. Worked out.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Last Tuesday I went to a movie and got horrible news when I got out of it.

Tonight, I am also going to a movie. Hoping not to receive horrible news upon my return again.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
My team is entirely dependent on Quinton Flowers and the Alabama defense. Luckily, Quinton Flowers is an absolute monster and Alabama is playing Chattanooga this week, so they should be good for 60-70pts.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

kayakyakr posted:

Last Tuesday I went to a movie and got horrible news when I got out of it.

Tonight, I am also going to a movie. Hoping not to receive horrible news upon my return again.

Lamar Jackson has zero touchdowns in the first half and Lville is down by 31.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
That is really a next level poor showing.

Is it too late to change matchups so I can play against kayakyakr?

Ninja Bob
Nov 20, 2002

Bleak Gremlin

kayakyakr posted:

You should never go to the movies again.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Jesus Christ guys. I go watch a movie and everything goes to poo poo? Again?

-_-

This matchup got verrrrrrrrry interesting.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

kayakyakr posted:

Jesus Christ guys. I go watch a movie and everything goes to poo poo? Again?

-_-

This matchup got verrrrrrrrry interesting.

:lol:

chaos reigns

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Well, when my team decides to play like poo poo, EVERYONE plays like poo poo.

Though, of course I leave 100 points on the bench.

Ah well. Been a fun season.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
My season has ended :(

Ninja Bob
Nov 20, 2002

Bleak Gremlin
Well, going to the finals. Let's see how this goes.

Taxes
Jan 26, 2010

From here, it's possible.
Hell of a season, yak.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Hey Webbeh: Give us a 3rd place match, please.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

kayakyakr posted:

Hey Webbeh: Give us a 3rd place match, please.

poo poo, you're right. Will set it up now.

Ninja Bob
Nov 20, 2002

Bleak Gremlin
Navy dunked on SMU so hard they took my QB out of the game. :smithcloud:

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Gonna call it. Congrats Taxes on another god drat championship. Good season Ninja, coming up for 2nd. I have Quandary beat for 3rd.

Good season y'all. I had fun. Hope you had fun. See ya next year.

Taxes
Jan 26, 2010

From here, it's possible.
:woop: :woop: :woop:

Good season, y'all!

Ninja Bob
Nov 20, 2002

Bleak Gremlin

Taxes posted:

Good season, y'all!

Congrats, man. Nice win.

PS: I went out to the movies and when I came back you'd put up like another 100 points on me, so I think this year's lesson is don't go to the movies.

Ninja Bob fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Nov 27, 2016

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

Taxes posted:

Good season, y'all!

goddamnit the taxes reign begins again

(congrats)

Will Styles
Jan 19, 2005