Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

ModeWondershot posted:

Having learned guitar fairly late in my music education, I can understand that tabs might be helpful in providing a visual indicator of the nature of playing a guitar, where both hands have to perform two separate functions in order to strike a single note. It would likely suit a beginner, and I did honestly find them a little easier to read than the classical notation at times. However, since most sheet music uses the classical notation, I would say that tabs aren't helpful for someone hoping to develop their skills.

Tabs are good as long as you don't ever plan on learning notation. The trouble mostly comes in my experience when kids, usually in early high school learn using tabs, get really really good through practice, then decide they want to branch out into say, a musical or something. Learning traditional notation from scratch when you are already very good is extremely difficult and frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

RE: Tabs, I think that it's pretty difficult to learn guitar using classical notation and no other musical background, to be quite honest. Since most beginners want to "be playing music" right away, and strumming requires the least left and right hand synchronization of just about anything you can do on the instrument, generally you start with chords. Associating note names with frets is a loving lot to memorize for a novice, and it takes a pretty decent amount of music theory and experience in order to come up with guitar chord voicings and fingerings by yourself. Similarly, tabs are pretty good for helping novice guitarists learn how to move along the fingerboard. I think that you can build up to reading notation for melodic playing once you start to understand the way that scales are shaped fairly easily, but I can't imagine that a beginner learning chords from classical notation would go all that well.

Like, take a look at these three ways of writing out some basic chords. As someone who teaches music lessons pretty regularly, it takes a gently caress ton more background and effort to explain the middle diagram than the top or bottom. Everyone hates ledger lines, but no one hates them more than kids.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Octatonic fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jul 25, 2016

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Oh by the way, I should mention, there's a game that's only in the japanese version that didn't make it into the localization. Instead of being localized, it was just left out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdcKicUYVek

It's based off a manzai routine, basically japanese tag team comedy, and since japanese standup loves their puns, and because wordplay is probably the hardest stuff to translate ever, it was just left out.

Shame, because I like the song a lot.

NeruVolpi
Apr 23, 2016
I may be biased but this song made me think of Crazy Noisy Bizarre Town.

Thank God it is finally a Friday...

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Oh by the way, I should mention, there's a game that's only in the japanese version that didn't make it into the localization. Instead of being localized, it was just left out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdcKicUYVek

It's based off a manzai routine, basically japanese tag team comedy, and since japanese standup loves their puns, and because wordplay is probably the hardest stuff to translate ever, it was just left out.

Shame, because I like the song a lot.

That is a really cool song. Makes me wish I knew Japanese to understand it, because I like puns/wordplay (much to the chagrin of everyone around me). Though even without understanding it, it's a really fun song to listen to.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

SkyTalon2314 posted:

That is a really cool song. Makes me wish I knew Japanese to understand it, because I like puns/wordplay (much to the chagrin of everyone around me). Though even without understanding it, it's a really fun song to listen to.

Basically, a lot of japanese words sound similar, so juxtaposing them together in a sentence provides a play on the sounds the words contain but basically mean nonsense by themselves.

Like, the first one in that game is "Futon ga futtonda" which basically means "the bed flew". And the others are similarly nonsense. But that's the way Puns Be so it can't be helped.

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Basically, a lot of japanese words sound similar, so juxtaposing them together in a sentence provides a play on the sounds the words contain but basically mean nonsense by themselves.

Like, the first one in that game is "Futon ga futtonda" which basically means "the bed flew". And the others are similarly nonsense. But that's the way Puns Be so it can't be helped.

I suspected as much.

I took Japanese in High School, like 11 years ago, but I remember things like Tori meaning street, but Torii meaning bird, and other things like that. But I can't read kanji anymore, and I can't read hiragana/katakana fast enough anymore to really be able to follow even just the pronunciations anymore.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Octatonic posted:

RE: Tabs, I think that it's pretty difficult to learn guitar using classical notation and no other musical background, to be quite honest. Since most beginners want to "be playing music" right away, and strumming requires the least left and right hand synchronization of just about anything you can do on the instrument, generally you start with chords. Associating note names with frets is a loving lot to memorize for a novice, and it takes a pretty decent amount of music theory and experience in order to come up with guitar chord voicings and fingerings by yourself. Similarly, tabs are pretty good for helping novice guitarists learn how to move along the fingerboard. I think that you can build up to reading notation for melodic playing once you start to understand the way that scales are shaped fairly easily, but I can't imagine that a beginner learning chords from classical notation would go all that well.

Like, take a look at these three ways of writing out some basic chords. As someone who teaches music lessons pretty regularly, it takes a gently caress ton more background and effort to explain the middle diagram than the top or bottom. Everyone hates ledger lines, but no one hates them more than kids.

As someone who played :sax: forever, then picked up guitar recently, yep. I've read sheet music a long time and still have trouble parsing the guitar music at times because

A) Alto sax doesn't go as low as guitar and is always single notes

b) pick a note on guitar and you can play it at three different location on the guitar neck. only one fingering (95% of the time) for sax

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer

SkyTalon2314 posted:

I suspected as much.

I took Japanese in High School, like 11 years ago, but I remember things like Tori meaning street, but Torii meaning bird, and other things like that. But I can't read kanji anymore, and I can't read hiragana/katakana fast enough anymore to really be able to follow even just the pronunciations anymore.

Other fun ones from the song include "ame-tte ame~ na" or "Rain is pretty sweet, huh?" or "Ume ga ume~" meaning "Japanese apricots are delicious." Part of why most of those puns work is that the speaker is also using weird informal accents some of which may even be dependent on using Kansai dialect (as a similar example, think of how rhymes might work in UK versus US English where words are similar but pronounciations are different).

I can understand why it would be in the original and why it would be absolutely impossible to translate adequately to English, compared to other songs that use vocal clips purely for cadence rather than their actual content. I do really like the song as well, though, so part of me would have also liked to see Nintendo just try to localize it without providing explanations, in essence just going: "it's :japan:, deal with it."

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
By the way, TMI personal time I wanted to keep to a 3-4 day schedule but the end of the month is busy for me, especially July since it's when the lease turns over, but long story short hopefully the video goes up this weekend, I got most of it done except for most of the editing and that's the time consuming part, it'll smooth out.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Picked up Rhythm Heaven Fever and am almost done with it. Decided to make this stupid thing this evening in honor of me beating it in Perfect Mode.

http://funny.computer/backbeat.html

FishOnAPiano
Oct 9, 2012

SkyTalon2314 posted:

I took Japanese in High School, like 11 years ago, but I remember things like Tori meaning street, but Torii meaning bird

So what you're telling me is that the reason the chicken actually crossed the road was in order to make a dumb Japanese pun

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

FishOnAPiano posted:

So what you're telling me is that the reason the chicken actually crossed the road was in order to make a dumb Japanese pun
その通り!

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

motherfucker

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

I have a new favorite Japanese pun.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Are you planning to continue this anytime soon? I was really enjoying the videos.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Are you planning to continue this anytime soon? I was really enjoying the videos.

Yeah, I really want to, I just sorta fell off the habit and I need to get back into it. Sorry it's been such a long wait!! I wanna work on it but sometimes it's hard to get back in the groove when there's other stuff going on.

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Why would I draw dudes when I could be drawing literally anything else?

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Oh dang yeah these are super good. I'm glad you bumped the thread

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
please continue with this series when you have time, it is good.

also can you explain to me in music theory terms why the rhythm tweezers section on machine remix is drat near impossible to perfect

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Suspicious Dish posted:

please continue with this series when you have time, it is good.

also can you explain to me in music theory terms why the rhythm tweezers section on machine remix is drat near impossible to perfect

Machine Remix was hard for me too until I:

1. started using the d-pad in conjunction with the button to hit the fast 16th notes
2. changed the game language to japanese in the options because the japanese song is a great song and they butchered it with a bad synth in the english version.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
you don't like trumpet.mid???

also yeah i've done both those things, and i still can't nail that last set of tweezers.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Catching up with the thread, this is a really cool idea! I've been playing guitar for oh shucks about 20 years now. Not well, and I'd hesitate to call myself anything more than a dabbler, but it's pretty cool to learn a thing or two about music theory and rhythm.

The Watercrown
Feb 10, 2014

We Shall Become Gods

We Shall Become Gods

WE SHALL ALL DIE AND BECOME AS GODS
This was actually a pretty interesting LP. I'm sad to see it gathering so much dust.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

The Watercrown posted:

This was actually a pretty interesting LP. I'm sad to see it gathering so much dust.

Yeah, I am too. I wanna come back to it someday but stuff has been busy, especially last month. I dunno really what common etiquette is regarding plugging other projects in an LP thread but stuff's been moving lately. Stuff actually being finished, too!

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
:justpost:

We like this LP, we might like your other stuff. And you're the OP, so you set the thread tone anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

CrazySalamander posted:

:justpost:

We like this LP, we might like your other stuff. And you're the OP, so you set the thread tone anyway.

Yeah alright. It's a music thread anyway and most of this stuff involves my music to some degree

Short version is that I'm poor as hell (ie a musician) and struggling most of the time.

I started an album project based on the Pokedexy challenge which is mostly for artists to draw a pokemon a day but I wanted to see if I could do it with music, making each song within 24 hours. The album's up here if you wanna check it out. I'm really happy with a few songs on there.

And generally if you want to hear any of my music it's all here, though particularly I wanna post this one as part of a separate album project because I'm pretty into how it sounds.

Also I have a podcast with another (poor as hell) friend of mine where we talk about cheap games, usually under 5 bucks, most recent ep is here and stuff goes up every other sunday, so one's going up a couple days from now.

• Locked thread