Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

This story is so simple but so disjointed. It's kinda amazing how they managed that.

Also that glorious battlecruiser was only about twice as big as a fighter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Unisoft's big silly battle robots were as long or probably a bit longer than that "Battlecruiser" was.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
The people of the Red Sun game seem to be pretty forgiving seeing as how most of the organizations we were hired to kill would later pay us to do their dirty work. Guess they know you're a merc and didn't take it personally.

I've also completely forgotten what we're supposed to be doing here; somehow killing all these people as we work our way towards a ship we know the location of and could just attack? It sounds like we've got at least 2 more systems to murder our way through though. Maybe the plot will become a little clearer as we move along.

dbcooper
Mar 21, 2008
Yams Fan
Alternate

theory

for the Pez dispenser aliens:

Also space Bill Gates is pretty cool.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

The people of the Red Sun game seem to be pretty forgiving seeing as how most of the organizations we were hired to kill would later pay us to do their dirty work. Guess they know you're a merc and didn't take it personally.

Considering we typically kill everyone we encounter would they know we were the mercenary who killed all their dudes? All they know is we have a lot of 5-star space mercenary reviews.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

This game is... dumb. It's bad and dumb.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

Jobbo_Fett posted:

That explains so drat much.

I was under the impression that it was another guy with the same name. Seems like croberts would be busy with Prophecy around that time.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Update 20 - Ancient Legend Tells Of the Moping Rock

Colony Wars Red Sun Episode 5 - Aurora System
Valdemar becomes Grand Master of his one-person merc guild, completes his Thunderbowl winning streak, and takes part in a lot of dumb missions at the seat of his amazing new ship. The Red Sun also does some things but nobody ever figures out exactly what...

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

That ship design is straight out of a low budget sci-fi serial. That's a dumb thing you unlock for laughs after beating the game, not an actual ship you buy with game money. God.

Also I need a GIF of the super-spider just flopping over.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
The Pez... hungers.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Man, I had forgotten how stupid the final ship looked. It's basically a goldfish bowl with engines strapped to it. The fact that you are piloting the ship from a dad couch inside said bowl doesn't exactly help either.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
All of the designs look chibified. Were they gunning for an SRW spot?

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
There's syphonomething filteramiliar about these two gifs.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

:vince:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I could definitely see that thing playing "La Cucaracha"

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

"Hey - High-speed Nuclear delivery, that sounds safe."

Probably the best line in the game so far.

I gotta say the ship design has gotten worse and worse as this game went on (like the plot!). Our ship is now literally an up-side-down fishbowl with a recliner in it... The first game really did have the best designs, wish they would've just stick with them.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

In advance of the final Red Sun video, and the final video of Colony Wars, please see this video that I made MzBundifund watch. We spent almost 10 minutes of pre-recording time talking about food and steaks because I mentioned Gordon Ramsay & Hell's Kitchen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0zySGE82HY

My god :allears:

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Jesus gently caress, why would you put something that looked like that in your mouth? And why would you try and cook it rare? If someone paid me or it was dare or something I'd grill that fucker until it was shoe leather to make sure nothing was alive in side.

On a related note, my mother and sister used to watch Hell's Kitchen and I would occasionally catch an episode if I was around and never really caught the appeal. You can only watch someone yell at morons for so long before it stops being funny; I was never a fan of the act he put on for that.

As a comparison here you can watch Gordon Ramsay act like a normal, well adjusted human being:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUP7U5vTMM0

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
are we talking about steak

I was going to ask for a "if this were a (thing) in the Colony Wars series, which would it be?" sort of comparison, but does ANYTHING in these games get nearly THAT bad?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Psychotic Weasel posted:

As a comparison here you can watch Gordon Ramsay act like a normal, well adjusted human being:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUP7U5vTMM0

Those scrambled eggs look amazing holy poo poo

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Update 21 - HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLPPPPPP

Colony Wars Red Sun Episode 6 - Boreas System
Where it began, where it will end here in the Boreas System. Valdemar does some wet work for the League & Navy to afford his fancy new torpedoes with which he fulfills his destiny with: Destroying the Red Sun!

The trilogy is finally completed! 4 months and a lot of subtitles later! I can scratch this one off the list now. Most of the reason I wanted to do this was the first two games. Red Sun was part of the deal but I wasn't kidding when I said this game really didn't need to be made :v:

Hope you all enjoyed. I can put some more thought into Dragon's Dogma as a potential LP now.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
It's over! If anyone needs me I'll just be sitting on the moping rock.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKxzI4LuNSU

StarFyter
Oct 10, 2012

Well, it's over, and what a downward spiral of emotions this was :v:

Thank you for showing this trilogy off, there was a point I was considering seeking these games out on emulators, as I had originally missed out on the PS1 and PS2 eras of consoles due to cheapskate parents who didn't see any point in a gaming console. Looks like it was probably for the best that I did not seek these out, or I might not have bothered watching your playthrough of them in that case, as Freespace2 really messed with my expectations on space fighter games.

Now to wait what other sound clips you substitute in Battlezone.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Wow, that was shite. The first two games had something going for them, but Red Sun was a ball of crap all around! Thanks for showing off these games.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Well, that was something, wasn't it...

Can't say I'm sorry I missed it. But thanks for playing through the series and for the trip down memory lane (where applicable). Maybe we'll see this get resurrected like so many other franchises sometimes do.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I appreciate what this game tried to do because Privateer in Colony Wars could have been really neat. But not on a PS1.

Also turning into Homeworld Cataclysm with the the bio-ship out of nowhere.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Lunethex posted:

Red Sun was part of the deal but I wasn't kidding when I said this game really didn't need to be made :v:

Yep that sounds about right

Amwhere
Jan 3, 2013
Congrats on finishing the LP, Lune. Honestly, I didn't remember Red Sun being that meh.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Red Sun honestly feels as though it was meant to have a different plot altogether but it got scrapped and the hastily thrown together, pointless and nonsensical one which had absolutely nothing to do with what you were doing on the missions 99% of the time was the end result. I do wonder if they wanted to do the Colony Wars version of Wing Commander: Privateer or Elite but just couldn't manage it on the PS1 so you got this instead.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Ugh, now I'm glad I never played Red Sun back in the day. Good job nevertheless Lunethex! At least more people know what a kickass series Colony Wars was for 2/3rds of its entries now.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Red Sun honestly feels as though it was meant to have a different plot altogether but it got scrapped and the hastily thrown together, pointless and nonsensical one which had absolutely nothing to do with what you were doing on the missions 99% of the time was the end result. I do wonder if they wanted to do the Colony Wars version of Wing Commander: Privateer or Elite but just couldn't manage it on the PS1 so you got this instead.
It really does feel like another game that at the last minute became a sequel with a vague connection to the rest of the series.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Lunethex posted:

Hope you all enjoyed. I can put some more thought into Dragon's Dogma as a potential LP now.
Hell yes!! Dragon's Dogma is one of my top ten games from the last console generation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
At least it ended with the best possible sound effects.

• Locked thread