Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
No, as soon as you start running their piercing eyes see you and they shriek as they descend upon you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Truly no gods watch over me, only devils and workers of malice. With no place to hide, I instead look for a place to meet the fury of the winged men and perhaps drive them off.

What is the best position I can reach and prepare to fight? Anyone should answer.

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.

ibntumart posted:

Truly no gods watch over me, only devils and workers of malice. With no place to hide, I instead look for a place to meet the fury of the winged men and perhaps drive them off.

What is the best position I can reach and prepare to fight? Anyone should answer.

What appears to be a ditch expands along the ground like a lazy snake a few hundred feet infront of you. Perhaps laying flat on your back with in will take you out of the reach of their most vicious attacks. You must remember though that animals sometimes take shelter in the shade these ditches create.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
I must face the known danger and deal with surprises as they come. Hurriedly I fling myself into the ditch, my obsidian knife my only weapon.

Can the winged men still attack me? Anyone should answer.

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008

ibntumart posted:

Can the winged men still attack me? Anyone should answer.

The winged birdmen stop short, yanked into the sky by their restraining chains, unable to make landfall. They screech and scream at you brandishing your dagger. Unwilling to cease they pelt you from above with thrown weapons, tattered clothes, and the limbs and bodies of their smaller comrades, hurled with fury and ferocity.

Edit: i dislike run on sentences.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
The Heirophant's words guide me as I crawl on my belly away from the furious winged men. The hurled bones and meats bruise my back and legs. The hurled knives and swords nick and slice at me, but though I shiver and scream with pain, I continue wriggling away. My patience knows no bounds.

An ignoble escape, but I live for now. After an excruciating hour or so, I am beyond their chains' ambit. Caked with sludge, my mouth full of dirt, I rise and look how far I have come. The tower is to the east, the mirror still signaling... or warning away. And to the northeast, the border of the Jaggedlands. As I bind my wounds as best I can, I consider where to go next.

Who or what do I see keeping watch over the path out of the Jaggedlands? Anyone may answer.

Can I approach the tower's entrance unnoticed? Anyone may answer.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

ibntumart posted:

Who or what do I see keeping watch over the path out of the Jaggedlands? Anyone may answer.

On a nearby rise you spot a shrine to the torture devil. A huge effigy is burning, no doubt slowly roasting their unfortunate captives. You see the tell-tale glint of glass lenses.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005

ibntumart posted:

Can I approach the tower's entrance unnoticed? Anyone may answer.

You see vague figures moving in Windows and on battlements. It seems unlikely that you could move through the open expanse around the tower without one of them catching sight of you.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Fathis Munk posted:

On a nearby rise you spot a shrine to the torture devil. A huge effigy is burning, no doubt slowly roasting their unfortunate captives. You see the tell-tale glint of glass lenses.

To approach unseen will be difficult then. Indeed, I may already have been spotted. But I must find a way out of the Jaggedlands whatever it be.

Apocron posted:

You see vague figures moving in Windows and on battlements. It seems unlikely that you could move through the open expanse around the tower without one of them catching sight of you.

And no way to the tower for certain. Surely whoever dwells within either serves the torturer-devil or is somehow strong enough to keep any intruder at bay.

Yet I must choose one or the other, for to turn back is forbidden me.

What secret did the Incomparable Apostate divulge about the exit road to the Jaggedlands? Anyone should answer.

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning

ibntumart posted:

What secret did the Incomparable Apostate divulge about the exit road to the Jaggedlands? Anyone should answer.

The Jaggedlands, so named from the frequency that blood is spilled among them, is more hungry for the dead than one imagines land to be. The Incomparable Apostate, through hushed words and honeyed lips, explained the selfish greed of these cursed lands in detail. Among a number of vile but ultimately trivial secrets, he claimed that to find the exit road, one must provide a sacrifice.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
A terrible truth, as the important ones always are. But I must pass through regardless.

Perhaps the tower is worth a visit. I approach openly, obsidian dagger tucked away.

What or who opens the door to meet me? Anyone should answer.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

ibntumart posted:

What or who opens the door to meet me? Anyone should answer.

The door opens and the doorway stands empty. It is only when you look away that you realize you're surrounded by a half circle of smiling old men. They gesture with their hands urging you forward.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
I walk slowly toward the entrance, watchful of the things that assumed the guise of men. At the threshold I turn and sprint away. For to enter the tower would likely mean the sacrifice I offer would be myself.

Do the smiling old men give chase? Anyone should answer.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
The old men turn around and give chase. They move with unnatural ease and speed, especially for old men. A first glimpse behind your back shows some of them running on all four limbs. A second glance reveals only fangs and claws, hot on your heels.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
So they were demons all along. At least they are corporeal and at least I am not trapped inside, but able to fight in the open. I draw my dagger as I bound away, desperately searching for a good vantage point to defend myself.

What is the best place I see to make my stand? Anyone should answer.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
The immediate vicinity is open and exposed but there is a sharp rising of stone just ahead. If you were to reach the top you would, at the very least, have the high ground.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Every advantage counts in a situation such as this, however small. I leap onto the stone rising, scrambling toward the top. I turn and brandish my obsidian knife when I hear they are finally upon me.

Does my position give me an edge? Anyone should answer.

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning

ibntumart posted:

Every advantage counts in a situation such as this, however small. I leap onto the stone rising, scrambling toward the top. I turn and brandish my obsidian knife when I hear they are finally upon me.

Does my position give me an edge? Anyone should answer.

Yes - the risk of injuring themselves on the tumble down makes the approach of the Demons cautious - they may be unnaturally fast, but they seem to fear the unnatural stone which forms your high ground.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Their hesitation gives me inspiration. Patiently I wait till one comes near, then feint with my dagger. I pick up stones and throw them. I harry them as best I can, hoping their fear of the stones and my harassment may drive them to other prey.

Do the demons back down? Anyone should answer.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

ibntumart posted:

Their hesitation gives me inspiration. Patiently I wait till one comes near, then feint with my dagger. I pick up stones and throw them. I harry them as best I can, hoping their fear of the stones and my harassment may drive them to other prey.

Do the demons back down? Anyone should answer.

They do not approach but they do not back down either. Instead, they circle around the outcropping and wait still as statues. They do not blink. You fear they might not sleep.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Then I must engage, for I cannot stay on atop this rock forever. They may not sleep, but my muscles are weary and the many cuts and bruises I've suffered sting constantly. Slowly, gingerly, I descend... then suddenly I move with all the speed and grace my body possesses, dagger flashing.

I might be able to overpower it. I pounce on the nearest demon, hoping to catch it by surprise and earn a quick kill. Does it die? Anyone should answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Your dagger finds its mark and deeply pierces the demon's tough skin and flesh, and in an instant the creature is dead.

• Locked thread