Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Aine and Verief

You sidestep his slash and dart back. He pursues ready to try and swing once more.

However this time you manage to unsling your blade. In one smooth motion, from draw to chop, your sword dives deeply into his body. One of his arms falls uselessly to the floor and a gurgling sound escapes his throat. The blade stops after cutting easily through his body only stopping when it lodges into the book he had help up so proudly before and now holds him hanging gruesomely from your weapon. How easily another life is taken.

A scream escapes from one of the bystanders and people begin piling out of Verief's audience room through any exit except the one barred by Aine. People look with panic and fear at the blood soaked demon in their midst. The guards try to keep control but the sheer volume of people makes them impossible to manage.

Emlyn

Ava turns startled by your presence.

"Shadow's poo poo! Are you stalking me?!"

She listens to you and shakes her head.

"What? You want me to heel? Fine if I don't fit in your perfect little unit I quit. The truth is we did just fine before you came along and started trying to turn everything into some stupid fascist empire regiment. Fat lot of good all the training did you pillocks in the cold lands when push came to shove. Why did you even crawl into this little forsaken desert hole anyway?"

She smirks.

"I bet you're hot poo poo here but back home you're nobody! So you had to come to the middle of nowhere to look for someone who might actually respect you. Well gently caress off. That ain't me and I'm sure there's plenty others like me down here."

Urxar]

The fortune-tellers eyes roll back into her head and turn an inky black.

"Freedom has fled. Tyranny comes. You see yourself as breaker of chains, but what about their forgers? The forgers come, they are angry at their lost profit. They have seen you but they come not only for you. Everyone here will be chained. Walls will break. Flesh will burn. We are all slaves to the sun. Freedom is an illusion of the night. The fire of the s-u/o-n comes to consume our freedom. Before the next black moon the Oasis will be in chains. One way or another."

The fortune-teller shudders then collapses unconscious onto her table. You're unsure if that's what normally happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis
Tal, the Mystic
0 Harm | 0 armor | 1 keep | XP *

The situation could have been worse, but not much. The crowd wanted blood more than justice. They might say it was justice they wanted, but what they really wanted was to see a poor man have his hand cut off. They think they are civilized, but when it comes down to it, they have no right to the claim.

Tal pushed his way through the crowd. He left Shara behind in the crowd. She shouldn't be to close to him, just in case the crowd desires more blood. When he reaches the front of the crowd, he raises his hand and says,

"Stop! I would have words with those who judged this poor soul. If this is to be a just punishment, then I should be allowed to speak."

If a roll is needed here, let me know.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Tal, the Mystic

The man holding scimitar doesn't seem to hear your lone voice of reason over the screeching mob all around you. He is moments away from bringing his blade down on Gav's right hand.

You're gonna have to do something dramatic if you want to stop that scimitar coming down

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tal, the Mystic
0 Harm | 0 armor | 1 keep | XP *

Lacking in options and time, Tal rushed the stage. The only way he could think of to stop things would be to halt the act itself. He got up on stage and tried to put himself between Gav and the man holding the scimtar.

Rolled an 8 on going into danger.

DocBubonic fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Sep 8, 2016

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Aine
0 Harm | 1-armor | 3-keep | XP ●●●○○»

I take a moment's satisfaction at the killing stroke before lifting a foot, and pushing the carcass off my blade. I kneel to clean his blood off my weapon with his own clothes before standing once more and looking at the reactions of the crowd around me. My brows furrow in confusion, he attacked me, and I even gave him a chance to walk away. What are these people so mad about? I step back from the Milomar's steaming corpse, but keep my weapon raised defensively should anyone else choose to challenge me.
Read A Situation 5
where’s my best escape route?
...and be prepared for the worst.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Emlyn
4-harm (KK) | 3-armor (KK) | 0-keep | XP ●●○○○»

Emlyn stares levelly at Ava, a cold smile beginning to creep onto his face. "Yes, the legion knew defeat in the North. Even the best must eat. When the Imperator cut off our supply lines, we starved like any would. But why did I come here? Vengeance. I apologize if I've ruined your cozy little club. I apologize if you want to be little more than the bandit rabble that surrounds the hold."

He leaned forward, smiling with disdain, "With that said, make no mistake. I fear you not, Ava. I only fear that killing you would shame my blade. Leave this place. Perhaps one of those bandit tribes will be more to your liking."

quote:

RoboNitoriBOT - Today at 6:41 PM
@Emlyn, Sword Master you rolled 5, 2+2 for a total of

What does Ava intend to do?

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Emlyn

Ava stares at you for a second before bursting into laughter.

"Me? Leave?"

Her screechy laughter cuts through the room. You get the uncomfortable feeling that everyone's attention has just shifted from the fight pit to the bar.

"You must have had a toke on one of those hookah's on the way in. I'm the closest thing to a friend you've got in here."

Now you feel the menace as the thugs and roughnecks, drunks and killers form a crowd behind you.

"And as a friend I'll give you a chance. You give me that fancy sword of yours and I'll try my very, very hardest to make sure you get out of here alive."

You've really put yourself in a tight spot here by coming into one of the deepest darkest holes in the Burning Oasis alone. You could probably paste 99% of these punks one on one, or even facing off against a small group of them. But nobody here cares about you and you're threatening one of their own in the middle of their turf. You can leave your sword and get out, or you can try and fight your way out. But if you do fight I'm warning you that it's going to be tough and you won't be making any friends since you walked in here and started poo poo.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Emlyn
4-harm (KK) | 3-armor (KK) | 0-keep | XP ●●●○○»

Emlyn's blade dragged free of its sheathe with a quiet rasp. Hardly worth more than scrap after all it had endured, but a momento of battles prior. The idea of leaving it with this filth was unthinkable. He shook his head, "Ava. The only way you'll get this sword is through the gut. Perhaps your friends will drag me down. Perhaps you will even survive. I wouldn't bet on the latter."

Emlyn spun and struck at a man who had crept too close. Blood splashed through the air as he stumbled back. He pointed his blade at the crowd, "Come then, face death." With that, he charged into the fray.

quote:

RoboNitoriBOT - Today at 9:53 PM
@Emlyn, Sword Master you rolled 6, 5+2 for a total of

I deal terrible harm (5-harm) and suffer little harm (4-armor), +XP.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Urxar
0 Harm | 2 armor | 0 keep | XP ●●○○○»

I spin toward the tent's entrance, where Roland stayed behind when we entered. "Brother, your insight, please! Do you think her words true? Might slavers be planning to raid the Oasis?"

Thoughts of the enemies our brotherhood has accrued over the years run through my mind. We are certainly not without our enemies, yet slavers typically only strike the smaller camps and villages. To come after a stronghold such as here...

I return my thoughts to the present. "If she speaks the truth, we need to alert Verief and her guards." Looking back at the woman sprawled over the table, she appears merely unconscious, yet I don't feel comfortable leaving her unattended. If there truly are slavers with their eyes on the Oasis, her words need to be heard - and she needs to explain them. I don't feel comfortable leaving her here now. What if she awakes and leaves before she can explain herself? What if someone takes her?

Moving next to Roland, I fling back the entrance flap of the tent and yell for the market's guards.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Urxar

As soon as you make your distress known Roland bursts into the tent. He seems surprised to find that you're not in trouble but that the soothsayer is unconscious. He makes a gesture of a closed fist over his brow.

"Sun guide me. What have you gotten us into brother? I don't know if her words are true or not but I don't think we can really bring them to the authorities and expect them to take us seriously. For all we know this is all smoke and mirrors and even now we are caught up in the act. Even were it not, what are we supposed to tell them? That you found out crucial intelligence from the stars through a fortune teller? I say we get out of here while you've been in here things have turned a bit sour outside. They caught a thief and the crowd is mighty blood thirsty."

Tal

You rush the platform. Nobody pays much heed to you as they are all entranced by the glittering blade hovering in the air. What nobody expects is for you to throw yourself in front of the blade.

The guard notices you just as he brings his blade down on top of Gav. You manage to throw yourself on top of his hand and the guard tries to pull back his sword but it makes a nasty cut on your back. There's a gasp from the crowd and suddenly everyone is silent unsure if they just watched an innocent person get killed.

You take 2-harm

Emlyn

You whip around your blade tracing a silent flashing arc in the torch light. The neck of the ruffian behind you offers no resistance and there's a split second pause, his face displaying a puzzled look, before his head tumbles to the ground. You charge at the group that had gathered behind you but instead of finding a melee like you had expected they give way. You attempt to lock swords and wound but all you find are parries and people backing off from your challenge. You manage to catch some off guard, taking one man's hand and stabbing a many others but it seems like none of them desire the fate of the first person who earned your wrath. However through the crowd you notice that more people are coming from outside to fill the ranks of the injured. You hear a voice crying out from the throng but it is hard to pinpoint its location.

"Tell me stranger. If someone bribed their way into your house. Threatened your friend. Killed and injured your guests. What would you do?"

The medium gang has 3 harm and 2 armor. This is increased to 4 harm and 4 armor since it is two size categories larger than you. You deal 1 harm. However you can tell that the gang isn't simply limited to the people in the bar and it will "heal" in time. However since you surprised and frightened them with your first merciless attack they are not inflicting harm on you this turn and are simply getting a feel for you. One of them is also calling you out. Perhaps the leader?

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tal, the Mystic
2 Harm | 0 armor | 1 keep | XP *

Tal's body went flat. Beyond the pain, Tal could feel the blood dripping from the wound on his back. Although he winced at the pain, he knew he postponed the cutting of Gav's hand. At least for a short while. He got up to his hands and knees, unsure if he could stand up. The pain made him want to lay down, but he pushed himself to get off the ground. Getting to his knees he turned towards the man that hit him.

"Now, will you let me speak? I will not allow this man to lose his hand without knowing why he must be punished in this way."

He got to his feet and faced the man. Tal didn't know much about the laws and customs of this land, but he knew they wouldn't strike down an innocent man like this. They were not barbarians.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Tal

The guard at first puzzled by your intervention seems annoyed that you interfered with his work just to question him in front of a whole crowd.

"This is the first time I've seen you stand in the way of someone losing their hand for thievery hereabouts. So either you haven't been here long enough to see it happen or you're sweet on this fella."

He turns and spits off to the side.

"Either way we caught him in the auction house tent playing with one of the items up for sale. Someone spotted him being the fool who tried to upstage Verief and when we told him that he best be on his way he wouldn't leave. Well not leaving nor letting go of the goods is tantamount to thieving or planning thieving so he's gonna learn his lesson whether you like it or not by my name as Sheriff Holst."

He nods at another guard who comes over and puts a hand in your shoulder.

"Now, stay put. You got no authority here."

He swings the blade up into the air again and the crowd cheers.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Urxar
0 Harm | 2 armor | 0 keep | XP ●●○○○»

While I am hesitant to simply leave this woman - fraud or not - unconscious and alone, the voices of the unruly crowd entering the tent over Roland's shoulder convince me that we must move before being caught in an undesirable commotion.

"We will go to Verief," I decide. "Regardless of whether this warning is true or not, at the very least we can inform her of the information as rumors in the marketplace."

Ducking out of the tent, I make sure to close the entry flap fully, hoping that with the nearby commotion, no one will think to poke their head in an out-of-the-way tent. Moving away from the commotion in the courtyard, we begin to make our way towards Verief's audience room, hoping to catch her ear.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tal, the Mystic
2 Harm | 0 armor | 1 keep | XP *

Tal ignores the hand on the shoulder. He believed in avoiding Earthly authority as much as possible, he let it be and wished the opposite was true. However if the two are to clash, one shouldn't back mortals. How can rule derive from man, when the true laws of the world derive from a higher power. He put himself between the sheriff and Gav.

"No. This is an injustice that I will not allow to go forward. You are not punishing this man for thievery, you are punishing him for his beliefs. And I will not allow one of my followers to be punished for following me. I wish to talk to Verief about this matter. If you do not make this happen, I will remedy this injustice with divine justice. You and Verief shall feel that punishment. And what you want to do to this man here will not compare with the divine retribution I will deliver upon your heads."

Got a 6 on manipulate.

DocBubonic fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Sep 16, 2016

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Emlyn
4-harm (KK) | 3-armor (KK) | 0-keep | XP ●●●●○»

Emlyn's blade dripped blood as he eyed the crowd. The odds were against him, though none had the mettle to fight yet. Perhaps a change in venue was in order. He called out to the leader of this mob, "Much the same as you, I'd imagine, given it is my duty and obligation. Yet, I do feel we are in much the same position. Your friend, such as she is, seeks to undermine my command. Your band seek to end the life of a member of the Oasis Guard. Your doorman? Well, I'd have to leave that for you to settle out."

Emlyn raised his sword and charged towards the exit. The crowd had been averse to combat so far. Perhaps he could use that hesitation to win free and claim a bottleneck. Were it to come to that, they would have to bury him in bodies. Rabble like these, though perhaps a mercenary band from their armaments, sought truth in coin. It cannot be spent by the dead. They would break before he would.

quote:

Assaulting A Position (the exit)

RoboNitoriBOT - Today at 5:34 PM
@Emlyn, Sword Master you rolled 6, 5+2 for a total of

Suffer little harm (4-armor), force my way to the door, and force my enemy to withdraw. +XP.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
BUMP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
[i]I need more feedback on where people see this going now that Verief has pulled out.[/b]

• Locked thread